The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Hurricanes trade Elias Lindholm, Noah Hanifin to Flames for Dougie Hamilton, Micheal Ferland, Adam Fox

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Having Ferland, whether he's on a player's line or not, does influence the game.  He can target the top players on the opposing team with big hits.  That, in itself, is protecting his team mates.  Plus, Ferland scores 20 goals and has the aerobic capacity to play top minutes.  I don't get why the Flames would dump him into this trade.  

I think in reality there just won't be a fair evaluation of Ferland on these threads. He has bitch slapped this club and we can't look at him through neutral eyes. I'm curious as to his shooting percentage last year and if it can be sustained? I am far from impartial myself as I have issues. Not so much with him but the league not penlizing the charging he way too often gets away with. A few years back when the Flames ousted us from the playoffs it was ridiculous what he got away with. If you are going to let players target and charge players then drop the instigator penalty.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

I think in reality there just won't be a fair evaluation of Ferland on these threads. He has bitch slapped this club and we can't look at him through neutral eyes. I'm curious as to his shooting percentage last year and if it can be sustained? I am far from impartial myself as I have issues. Not so much with him but the league not penlizing the charging he way too often gets away with. A few years back when the Flames ousted us from the playoffs it was ridiculous what he got away with. If you are going to let players target and charge players then drop the instigator penalty.

I hate "Ferkland", and I'm happy he's gone east.  And I agree that charging needs to be properly enforced.  It's one rule that the league seems to let go.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Having Ferland, whether he's on a player's line or not, does influence the game.  He can target the top players on the opposing team with big hits.  That, in itself, is protecting his team mates.  Plus, Ferland scores 20 goals and has the aerobic capacity to play top minutes.  I don't get why the Flames would dump him into this trade.  

If I were to break it down, Calgary got Lindholm who is a 23 year old (5th overall pick) center/winger (strong on draws, so not a Gagner type center) who plays in all situations. He's still young and putting up 2nd line center numbers and could develop to be a 1st line center. Ferland is a physical force and put up a good year offensively is a winger and centers are generally more valued. We will see if his offense drops off not playing on a line with Gaudreau (who had a lights out year) and Monahan. Carolina could use a physical presence in their top 6 and this certainly addresses that issue and they have decent centermen on their team to take the loss.

Hanifin is a 21 year old (7th overall pick) who hasn't lived up to the hype offensively, but he had just put up his best season of 32 points. Being so young and still developing, he could reach close to Hamilton production, but be a better rounded player. Hamilton is better offensively now, but Calgary has Giordano and Brodie for the offense and Hanifin is no slouch to make up for the loss in offense. Hanifin was Carolina's best offensive dman points-wise, so adding Hamilton ups that portion of their roster.

Calgary gets younger and gets players that IMO have more potential for players that are more proven. There have been questions about whether Fox wanted to sign with Calgary and now that doubt is put on Carolina because he could simply walk from them as well. Fox is added youth in return for the youth loss given up by Carolina. Once Calgary signs Lindholm and Hanifin, it might not be much more than what Hamilton and Ferland (who is one year from UFA) will make next season and maybe a couple more after that.

I would much rather take back the return that Calgary got which is why I think Calgary comes out on top in this deal, but it looks like a decent deal for both sides. If Fox is an excellent NHL player, then it balances the deal out more and maybe puts Carolina ahead.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hate "Ferkland", and I'm happy he's gone east.  And I agree that charging needs to be properly enforced.  It's one rule that the league seems to let go.  

The kicker for me is if Virtanen hit the same as Ferland it would be called charging.

• Like 1

I think losing Fox will come back and haunt them.  Hes got top 4 written all over him.

I realize people are saying that Fox did not want to sign in Calgary, but why? Could it be that they are log jammed at the D position and the kid was put off by that? Not sure

Calgary has spent heavily on building that back end/including goaltending.  All that attention to D has cost them in terms of scoring effectiveness.They have one of the worst shooting percentages in the league, and the likes of Lindholm wont improve that much as he is not know as much of a sniper.

Back to the picks...

Elliott cost them a pick that St Louis turned into Jordan Kyrou

Hamonic cost them a first and two seconds.  I betcha Flames fans would be over the moon with the likes of Dobson right now and the two second rounders back

Dougie cost them a first and two seconds.  That first was in Barzal territory.

They missed out on some nice players up front.

I think instead of making these huge moves because they think that they are in some sort of window, if they drafted instead of paying such a high price for D men they would have had more balance up front and in the back, and maybe this would have tempted a kid like Fox to sign sooner rather than having him think he will have to fight it out with 8 other guys (vilamaki, andersson included)

At the end of the day I dont think this trade makes them much better if at all.

Edited by Darius71
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

They didn't have to add Fox. Hamilton is way better than Hanifin. Gaudreau will struggle without Ferland's protection. 

Gaudreau didn't struggle without Ferland during his first 3 seasons, there's no reason he would start now.

6 hours ago, rekker said:

A lot of chatter on this trade. It's such an interesting one where people call a distinct winner on both sides. That's how ranging it is. Ultimately it will play out on the ice. It will probably take the whole season to evaluate.

IMO, it may take 4 years to know for sure.

Will Fox sign with Carolina after he graduates from Harvard in two years?

Can he improve his skating to the NHL level?

Will Hanafin continue his steady development and be close to replacing Giordano 4 seasons down the road?

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Good hockey trade, but Calgary wins this one.

Epitome of sell-high, the Calgary version. Calgary is still building for the future. I like that GM. 

As a fan of the Canes I really like the trade too.

6 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Gaudreau didn't struggle without Ferland during his first 3 seasons, there's no reason he would start now.

Gonna be fun seeing Hughes defend against Gaudreau.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

Gonna be fun seeing Hughes defend against Gaudreau.

Like watching two squirrels chase each other.

you make a very good point though.  Maybe teams need at least one of these super elite skating guys on D to defend against the league’s trend to smaller - hyper quick - forwards, especially in open ice?  

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ferland played 26 games in Gudreaus rookie season. Not much back up there.

Regardless, the Flames are going to have trouble replacing Ferland.  I wonder how many of the Flame’s players had a “wtf” moment, when they saw Ferland included in the deal?  Those tough guys are usually well liked by their team mates, no?  I know we love to hate Ferland (and deservingly so) but the guy can actually play.  

16 hours ago, rekker said:

The kicker for me is if Virtanen hit the same as Ferland it would be called charging.

Jake's acceleration is so much better he only needs like 2-3 strides to hit Ferland's top speed. Lol. It's one of those things where you can't judge one player by the same metric as another. NBA has a similar problem with offensive fouls. James will get called for an offensive foul on Curry, but will do the exact same thing to say Kawhi and it's fair game. 

• Cheers 1