• Catches
    -
  • Contract
    -

PLAYER STATISTICS
S TEAM LEAGUE GP GAA SVS%   POST GP GAA SVS%
2014-15 3.png Pembina Valley Hawks Bantam AAA WBAAA 16 3.25 .857 |        
2015-16 3.png Pembina Valley Hawks Midget AAA MMHL 20 5.07 .884 |        
2016-17 3.png Rink Hockey Academy Prep CSSHL 19 2.88 .919 | Playoffs 2 2.50 .919
  3.png Steinbach Pistons MJHL 1 3.08 .900 | Playoffs 0 - -
2017-18 3.png Steinbach Pistons MJHL 34 2.06 .923 | Playoffs 14 1.60 .943
2019-20 6.png Univ. of Maine NCAA - - - |        

TOURNAMENT STATISTICS
S TEAM LEAGUE GP GAA SVS%   POST GP GAA SVS%
2015-16 3.png Team Manitoba WCCC-16 5 2.32 .919 |        
2017-18 3.png Steinbach Pistons Anavet Cup 6 2.47 .904 |        
  3.png Steinbach Pistons RBC Cup 2 3.01 .896 |      
Edited by ruilin96

3 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Mennonite kid from the same town where my dad was born. Go Matt! 

I know people there, good people. You couldn't get a more Mennonite sounding name if you tried.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

I LIKE THIS PICK.

I think this kid stacks up to all those goalies taken in the third round.    He was ranked quite highly.   VERY good pick.   Wow.   Nice!   I am nearly as excited about this pick for Vancouver as I was for Hughes.   He really could rise nicely through the system.    

Agree, you can never just assume the goalie prospects to just properly develops and becomes the number 1 goalie you expect. Even if everything pans out and is on schedule, we will be facing with a goalie controversy with Demko and Dipietro both eyeing as starters. In that case, we will have to trade away one of them and we have to have the next guy ready to step in. It is a good pick either way, whether our current goalies pan out or not.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

4th Ranked NA goalie. In the 7th, why not?

Not complaining, just found it interesting after how great DiPietro was last year. it never hurts to have enough tendies. 

I like that they really are going for BPA.

Edited by Bitter Melon

Develop in the NCAA for a few years.

University of Maine is a middle of the pack Div 1 team in a tough division, he's going to see a lot of rubber.

Going to be working under Red Gendron and Alfie Michaud (Former Canuck!)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

Agree, you can never just assume the goalie prospects to just properly develops and becomes the number 1 goalie you expect. Even if everything pans out and is on schedule, we will be facing with a goalie controversy with Demko and Dipietro both eyeing as starters. In that case, we will have to trade away one of them and we have to have the next guy ready to step in. It is a good pick either way, whether our current goalies pan out or not.

He started the game later than most kids and it took him a while and his stats were not great until he found some coaching and he has since rocketed up charts.   I had him as second or third best goalie prospect on my own final list and that was with a bullet.   Amazing glove hand and natural instincts.   Needs lots and lots of pucks over the next number of years but a good chance this is one later round kid that Canuck fans will hear a lot about in years to come.   Don't be shocked for some hockey people using the word "steal" with this kid in the next few years.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Why so far down this draft? Relatively unknown?

Late starter to the game and his stats until this  year were not good.  He was not even rated this time last year on anyone's draft radar but really climbed the charts this year but goalies are such a long development process that people like to see a few years of background and he only has one of value.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I know people there, good people. You couldn't get a more Mennonite sounding name if you tried.

My great Grandfather has a good mennonite name as well and was mayor of Steinbach between 1884 and 1912 with a 3 year break in there somewhere.

Johann G. Barkman

Canucks needed to add another goalie. Since he's NCAA, there's no rush to get him to Utica. I expect him to sign after his third year. At that point Demko will be with the Canucks, DiPetrio will be manning the crease in Utica, and Bachman's new deal will have expired. 

Good long term move. Hopefully he turns into the Cayden Primeau of this year's draft. (Primeau was a 7th round goalie selection last year by the Canadiens who took the NCAA by storm last season and looks like a legit steals by the Canadiens).

Wishing the best of luck to this kid.