The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Thiessen | G

ruilin96

3 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

Thiessen is from Altona which is where I am referring to. Super nice town, where I live (Terrace) is pretty friendly but that area is even better when it comes to people. Spent lots of time in the Whiteshell too which is a really neat place as well. Have't been to Steinbach yet but I bet it is a nice place too.

I keep forgetting he’s from Altona because he played for the Pistons.

Bought my dog from a breeder in Altona :lol: 

I spent 64-65 in Steinbach which was grade 9. Got a crapload of cousins still there. Reimers and Barkmans plus the usual other mennonite names. Not sure if I have any relatives in Altona unless they're  further removed. 

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

I keep forgetting he’s from Altona because he played for the Pistons.

Bought my dog from a breeder in Altona :lol: 

If I ever was forced to leave B.C. I would live in that area in a heartbeat B)

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

I forced my wife to leave. She loves it here. Would never leave.

My sister went willingly and will never leave either. 

6 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Walking to school in the winter was not fun, and I grew up b4 that in Northern Ontario. I hated the wind!

We had lots of brutal wind here too, makes us tougher than people from the lower mainland :ph34r:

17 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Tune in Monday morning, and he'll tell you all about it.  Guaranteed.  He gets it, he gets that, no doubt about it, there's no question.  It's in the poll question and getting amazing response, everyone's talking about it, it's the big thing this morning.

I missed DP's 'what we know for sure........' broadcast this morning ( okay the last 337 mornings in a row ! ). How did the Mr Leather Pants rate this draft ?

Anyone know how long Canucks retain this guys rights for? I k ow it’s normally 4 years for college guys but he won’t graduate for another 5 years as he’s in the ushl next year. Does that mean they have 1 extra year before they have to sign him?

55 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Anyone know how long Canucks retain this guys rights for? I k ow it’s normally 4 years for college guys but he won’t graduate for another 5 years as he’s in the ushl next year. Does that mean they have 1 extra year before they have to sign him?

Yup. Exactly. As soon as he goes to college, the clock starts on the four years of draft rights for college players. So by delaying college a year, we effectively get 5 years rights.

EDIT: this is the exact same scenario as Jack Rathbone, who was drafted last year but stayed in prep school for 2017-18 and starts college this fall. So we hold four remaining years of rights on him (or effectively 5 years since his draft date).

Interestingly, if a player delayed college for two years, then the rights would expire on the second June 1st following his draft (because he’d use up the standard 2 years draft rights before he actually started college, so his draft rights would expire before his college draft rights were activated).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Surprising good piece from Botch.

Jason Botchford: Did Canucks 'steal' their goalie of the future in Dallas draft?

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-did-canucks-steal-their-goalie-of-the-future-in-dallas-draft

Spoiler

He may have been the Canucks’ final draft pick, but one of the franchise’s alumni is confident Vancouver got one of the good ones.

The Canucks drafted 18-year-old netminder Matthew Thiessen on June 23 in the seventh round during a breakneck run on goalies that saw a whopping 15 of them selected in the sixth and seventh rounds of the NHL Entry Draft in Dallas.

Thiessen has a relationship that goes back years with former Canucks goalie Alfie Michaud, who is now a coach at the University of Maine.

“His demeanour is great, he has that water-off-a-duck’s-back attitude. If he lets one in, immediately he’s like, ‘That’s fine, my job is not to let in the next one,’” Michaud said.

inro

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Surprising good piece from Botch.

Jason Botchford: Did Canucks 'steal' their goalie of the future in Dallas draft?

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/jason-botchford-did-canucks-steal-their-goalie-of-the-future-in-dallas-draft

Reveal hidden contents

He may have been the Canucks’ final draft pick, but one of the franchise’s alumni is confident Vancouver got one of the good ones.

The Canucks drafted 18-year-old netminder Matthew Thiessen on June 23 in the seventh round during a breakneck run on goalies that saw a whopping 15 of them selected in the sixth and seventh rounds of the NHL Entry Draft in Dallas.

Thiessen has a relationship that goes back years with former Canucks goalie Alfie Michaud, who is now a coach at the University of Maine.

“His demeanour is great, he has that water-off-a-duck’s-back attitude. If he lets one in, immediately he’s like, ‘That’s fine, my job is not to let in the next one,’” Michaud said.

inro

Haha . I did not see u posted this . Ya great read 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2018-08-10 at 5:01 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Looks like Matt’s taking a break from his own training to help out as an instructor at a GDI summer camp. I believe this camp is for boys and girls ages 7-10. Nice to see Thiessen already giving back and passing on some of his knowledge to the next generation of players.

Seems like we have another really good kid joining our group of high character prospects.

Was looking at the USHL pre season box scores and looks like Thiessen is off to a good start. He's split two games with Aaron Randazzo (who's given up two goals) and has stopped all 33 shots he's faced...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Was looking at the USHL pre season box scores and looks like Thiessen is off to a good start. He's split two games with Aaron Randazzo (who's given up two goals) and has stopped all 33 shots he's faced...

Great to hear. I think he is definitely a sleeper pick that will surprise. I had never heard of the league he played in previously but he still had impressive numbers against men regardless of the quality. The fact that he can go in with low expectations and being such a late birthday means he will have plenty of time to develop.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Great to hear. I think he is definitely a sleeper pick that will surprise. I had never heard of the league he played in previously but he still had impressive numbers against men regardless of the quality. The fact that he can go in with low expectations and being such a late birthday means he will have plenty of time to develop.

Yeah, we basically have to option to “slow cook” his development until summer 2023, before our draft rights run out. And while I can’t claim to have seen him play (and I’m crap at analyzing goalies anyway), I’ve only heard really good things about this kid’s natural ability, technique, work ethic, and character. Definitely has the potential to be the “sleeper pick” you mention. 

• 2 weeks later...