The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Thiessen | G

ruilin96

• 3 weeks later...

Thiessen seems to be settling in well.  Of the 18 goalies who have played 4 games or more (teams have played 7-9 games so far), Thiessen is 8th in SVS% (.907) and 6th in GAA (2.54).  He's also played in 7 of Dubuque's 8 games, and only one USHL goalie has played more than him.  He's a rookie in the league and the USHL is a sizable step up from MJHL, it's promising to see that he's already one of the better starting goalies.

• Upvote 2

Rough weekend for Thiessen. Gave up 5 goals (saved 20/25) in a 6-3 loss in league play on Friday.

And eight goals against (saved 33/41) tonight in exhibition action against the USNTDP U17s.

Still owns a winning record at 4-3-1, but his stats have taken a dive to a 3.54 GAA and 0.877 Sv%.

EDIT: Actually the 8 goals were against the U18s. That's much more respectable. That Hughes led team has ventilated some of the best goalies in the NCAA, so no shame in Thiessen getting lit up by that squad.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 12:44 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thiessen has been solid lately. In his last 10 games played, he has a 0.922 Sv% and has only allowed 19 goals against.

Thanks Sid. Is Thiessen an option in Utica? Too young I suspect. Not up to date on this kid. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Thanks Sid. Is Thiessen an option in Utica? Too young I suspect. Not up to date on this kid. 

Well, I think technically he could be signed and then play in Utica, since he’s not in major junior and under the terms of the NHL-CHL agreement. But he’s only 18 and he’s committed to Maine (NCAA) for next season, so he’d have to sacrifice his college eligibility. 

It won’t happen. While it’s possible, as far as the actual rules go, Thiessen is a long term prospect and several years away from going pro. I’d say 2021 or 2022 at the earliest. He’s going to play out this season in the USHL, and then need a minimum of 2 years in college.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 7:24 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

So the team is probably going to have to trade for some help in net in Utica I take it. 

Remember Theissen came out of one of those low level Junior leagues.  I think it was the MJHL, which is about on par with the AJHL. Most players bustaroo out of those leagues.  

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Man his team is just awful lol

They certainly don’t do him any favours, in terms of his stat line, but it’s also the league.

The USHL only has one goaltender with a GAA under 2.0 and only two goalies under 2.50. Thiessen, at 2.95, is actually 12th in the league. Same goes for Sv%, where only 8 goaltenders league-wide have better than a 0.900 Sv%. Thiessen ranks 14th in that category, with a 0.895.

So while his numbers don’t exactly jump off the page, he’s actually doing pretty well for a rookie goalie in the USHL.

Thiessen is very long term anyway. We’re still 3-4 years away from even looking at a decision on whether or not he gets a contract. He has this year, plus another 4 years of college, before our draft rights run out.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Remember Theissen came out of one of those low level Junior leagues.  I think it was the MJHL, which is about on par with the AJHL. Most players bustaroo out of those leagues.  

You mean the AJHL bustaroos like Colton Parayko, Brayden Point, Scott Hartnell, Scottie Upshall, Braden Holtby or maybe Jay Beagle?

Perhaps you just meant some of the oldtimers like Mark Messier, Brent Sutter. Brian Sutter, Duane Sutter, Darryl Sutter, Kelly Kisio, Zarley Zalapski, Lanny McDonald, Sheldon Souray or Lindy Ruff?

Or maybe you just meant some of the old Canucks like Mason Raymond, David Babych, Dixon Ward, Kevin Connauton, Troy Gamble, Craig Coxe, Corey Hirsch, or maybe even Jim Benning!

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Haha 1