The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Top Ten prospects (Updated for 2018-2019)

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I go to these threads to see how prospects are perceived to be and I shake my head.

How can unproven or relatively unproven prospects be higher on the chart than players who have played professional games?

Why is Hughes, for example, rated higher than Pettersson? I get that Hughes has played in international tournaments, but so has Pettersson, who has played FAR MORE games.

Also, someone like Jasek has already produced a little bit (warning: small sample size) in the AHL. He can't possibly be lower than the other prospects that haven't even played against men.

This thread is filled with ridiculously inaccurate ratings.

Because people gauge prospects differently, with some people putting more emphasis on potential ceilings than experience. For example, I would still rank Pettersson significantly higher than Gaudette, despite the fact that Gaudette has played in the NHL.

Pettersson

Hughes

Demko

...all have all-star potential

Juolevi

Dahlen

...have high quality top 6 / top 4 written all over them

Gaudette

Lind

Gadjovich

Woo

Tryamkin

Feel like middle 6/middle pairing guys who bring high intensity and/or physical play

then there’s the rest who have shown some spark: Palmu, McEwan, DiPietro, Jasek

plus club med, who all at various points showed promise before getting canucked last year: McEneny, Lockwood, Brassard

That top 5 could all play this year... and almost certainly will be on the roster the for the following year.  It won’t happen immediately, but if they come close to their ceilings that’s a HUGE upgrade. 

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

all i can say

is that is a pretty bloody harsh assessment of gaudette

he joined the team for the last 6 games

when other teams were vying for playoff positions

and the entire team was distracted by the sedins retirement

please do not be a typical cdc poster

who thinks a newbie can hit the ground running in the nhl

and simply play at a high level without any adjustment period

when that happens, and it is rare, fans are truly spoiled

in my view gaudette played fine

nothing outstanding

but pretty solid overall

pretty much what i'd have expected of him

I couldn’t have said it any better. I’m sure he was drained after what must have been an overwhelming year. We should be very proud of him.

21 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why? I still think he'll end up a good Dman for us, but he struggled in his draft +1 year and failed to make an impression at last years camp. I think I'm being pretty fair to him.

You have a right to your opinion but I am sure he will turn out to be one of our core players and top D man

29 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I go to these threads to see how prospects are perceived to be and I shake my head.

How can unproven or relatively unproven prospects be higher on the chart than players who have played professional games?

Why is Hughes, for example, rated higher than Pettersson? I get that Hughes has played in international tournaments, but so has Pettersson, who has played FAR MORE games.

Also, someone like Jasek has already produced a little bit (warning: small sample size) in the AHL. He can't possibly be lower than the other prospects that haven't even played against men.

This thread is filled with ridiculously inaccurate ratings.

I was thinking the same thing, but I think the confusion lies between our top 10 skill and developement wise right now at this moment and top 10 potential wise right now. They will be 2 very different lists. I am just as excited about Hughes as the next guy, but to say as of right now that he is 2nd after Petterson, (in QH's draft season), is a bit ridiculous. I'm guessing these are the guys who are rating by potential. 

gtg or else I would make my 2 lists (potential and NHL readiness)

Cheers Nucks fans that was an exciting and crazy draft

1). Elias Pettersson

• I don't think there is a need to do any more explanation. He is clear cut #1 among our prospects and arguebly the best prospect not in the NHL among all prospects from all teams in the league.

2). Thatcher Demko

• I think Demko demonstrate his potential to be an elite goaltender. I personally would still rank a potential elite goalie ahead of a potential elite Defenseman.

3). Quinn Hughes

• Explosive, elite PMD who is your ideal modern day NHL D-man. He has all the tools and the capability to develop into a #1 defenseman. One of these days, he will eclipse Alex Edler's franchise points record by a defenseman.

4). Olli Juolevi

• Calm, smooth, very smart 2-way defenseman. He plays a non-flashy but error free game. His stats as a rookie in SM-Liiga shows that he has tremendous potential. Once again, I have to state he is NOT A BUST! He is simply one of the best U20 D-man to ever play in the SM-Liiga. 

5). Adam Gaudette

• Solid 2-way center who have the capability to create offense. Kills penalties, and will become a very solid 3rd line center (behind EP and Bo) with 2nd line upside. Looking forward to see what he is capable of doing after his 6 NHL games experience at the end of last season. Should start next year on our 4th line.

6). Jonathan Dahlen

• Another one of our prospects who have played professionally before making his debut to the NHL. Led his team from the SWE-1 league to the SHL. Great character, and lots of potential in terms of skill. Thank you Ottawa!

7). Kole Lind

• Very good year in the WHL in his D+1 year. Should be playing in Utica next season. This is another 2-way forward who demonstrate offensive potential. Can play all 3 forward position and both the Powerplay and Penalty Kill. He will become one of those players where you can place him anywhere in the line-up.

8). Jett Woo

• Big defenseman, skates well, hard hitting, and can get the shot on goal through traffic. Trusted by his coaches and often assigned to shut-down opposing teams' top line last season. He shows he have room to grow in his offensive game, and given time, he could be a beast in the blueline and the type of defenseman you need to win a playoffs series.

9). Michael Dipietro

• OHL goalie of the year. Very competitive and it is another goalie prospect of ours who have the potential to be a #1 goalie. He was invited as the 3rd string goalie with Team Canada for the WC. If everything goes according to plan, he should be the starting goalie for Canada's upcoming WJC roster (and it's in Vancouver and Victoria!!).

10). Jonah Gadjovich

• The man among the boys. Great net-front presence on the PP, as well as a good PK player and always have a lot of SOG! Must improve on his skating in order to have a career in the NHL. However, his compete level and worth ethnic tells me that we shouldn't worry too much about him improving this aspect of his game.

Honourable Mentions:

William Lockwood

• Tough year for him, injured during the out-door CAN vs. USA game in the WJC last season. Very good skater and competes very hard. Too bad he got injured just as he is starting to find the next level of his play last season. Next year in the NCAA, and hopefully he shows enough that he can turn pro at the end of next year.

Lukas Jasek

• Have a very dominant showing after arriving to Utica from Czech Republic. He could completely impress coaches in training camp, and get to the NHL as soon as next season. Sample size was a bit small in the AHL last season to rank him into the top 10. If he does continue to dominate the way he did for the last few games in Utica, I would definitely put him in the top 10.

Something neat that I looked up, was that last year there was 48 players who had played in 10 or more seasons in the nhl. And there was about 60 players of the age of 34 or older. 

The nhl has changed big time and the chances of playing beyond 32-33 are very slim. I’d have to say now if an NHL player is to have a 10 year career and be affective, they’ll most likely be playing full time for the big club by the age or 21-22. 

With the way the game is trending I wonder if we’ll ever really see guys play into the age the Sedins did? To have a 20 year career now a kid has to play in the first year he’s drafted and be amongst the oldest 3-5 guys in the league. 

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So, as of this moment on June 23rd, 2018, how does our top ten look right now?

I'd say it's something along the lines of...

1) Elias Pettersson

2) Quinn Hughes

3) Thatcher Demko

4) Jonathan Dahlen

5) Adam Gaudette

6) Olli Juolevi

7) Kole Lind

8) Jett Woo

9) Lukas Jasek

10) Michael Dipietro (Maybe Brisebois, Gadjovich or Lockwood in this spot. Still undecided)

That's pretty damn solid if you ask me. Game breakers at every position.

What are your guy's picks?

Petterson

Juolevi

Demko

Hughes

Dahlen

Gaudette

Jasek

Dipietro

Lind

Mackewan

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why? I still think he'll end up a good Dman for us, but he struggled in his draft +1 year and failed to make an impression at last years camp. I think I'm being pretty fair to him.

He had a helluva good year last season in Liiga and he got better as the games got bigger.

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

He had a helluva good year last season in Liiga and he got better as the games got bigger.

I understand that, and he certainly did have a good year, especially towards the end and into the playoffs. It just seems to me that every time he takes a step forward, he takes a step back right afterwards. He has a great draft year, follows it up with a mediocre draft +1 season, has a great prospects tournament, follows it up with a poor training camp, has a good season in Liiga, has to have surgery on his back in the offseason (Not his fault, but it's still something that scares me).

1 elias petterson 

2 quin hughes

3 thatcher demko

4 olli juolevi

5 adam gaudette

6 jonathan dahlen

7 kole lind 

8 jett woo

9 michael dipietro

10 tyler madden

Think madden will be good, gadjovich just misses cut think he will be good as well. Jasek also looks solid. Gaudette and dahlen are interchangable to me but i'll give slight edge to gaudette 

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

7). Kole Lind

• Very good year in the WHL in his D+1 year. Should be playing in Utica next season. This is another 2-way forward who demonstrate offensive potential. Can play all 3 forward position and both the Powerplay and Penalty Kill. He will become one of those players where you can place him anywhere in the line-up.

Umm...I thought Kole Lind was one of those players who was super weak defensively.  Like that's what I heard was the difference between him and Cody Glass.

4 hours ago, cdgraham said:

1 elias petterson 

2 quin hughes

3 thatcher demko

4 olli juolevi

5 adam gaudette

6 jonathan dahlen

7 kole lind 

8 jett woo

9 michael dipietro

10 tyler madden

Think madden will be good, gadjovich just misses cut think he will be good as well. Jasek also looks solid. Gaudette and dahlen are interchangable to me but i'll give slight edge to gaudette 

I would actually put Woo ahead of Lind and equal with Dahlen.  I live in Kelowna and like Lind a lot, but a RHD who plays in all situations, skates well and hits like a tank is worth more imho.  I think the best Lind can hope for is 2nd line.  I would not be surprised to see Woo be Hughes partner in 3 years.  I could easily see him paired with OJ as well.  That would make him a top 4 defenseman.  That is worth more than a middle six winger.

10 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Something neat that I looked up, was that last year there was 48 players who had played in 10 or more seasons in the nhl. And there was about 60 players of the age of 34 or older. 

The nhl has changed big time and the chances of playing beyond 32-33 are very slim. I’d have to say now if an NHL player is to have a 10 year career and be affective, they’ll most likely be playing full time for the big club by the age or 21-22. 

With the way the game is trending I wonder if we’ll ever really see guys play into the age the Sedins did? To have a 20 year career now a kid has to play in the first year he’s drafted and be amongst the oldest 3-5 guys in the league. 

To play that long, a player will likely require elite skill and absolute dedication.

The Sedins were special not only because of their abilities, but also every year they were the top performers for the Canucks' physical testing. The two combined allowed them to remain effective.

More and more, aging players who are dedicated, but not of elite skill (see: Lucic)...or full of skill, but not willing to train their butts off (see: Vanek)...are losing a step in their 30's and are being pushed not only down the depth chart, but right out of the league. 

The good news is that with taking Quinn and Woo JB manages to again make the list of teams that have won their draft in 2018. 

Madden and Utunen are savvy choices. Not so sure about the 139lbs 20 y/o overager in Russia.

As for this draft both Woo

and Quinn will skate in the NHL and become two of our top four in the next 3 years. 

Our pool now has a deep end and high diving board. So much better than the inflatable kiddie pool that we use to have. 

1. Pettersson with emphasis. 

He has done everything to and achieved every goal outside of dominanting the NHL.

2.  Quinn based solely of his top end ceiling and that he made the US national team at re World Cup as a regular skater. The guy has the exact same demeanour as Pettersson.  Similar skill set and IQ. 

3. Demko.  AHL all star. Goalie of the future almost ready to challenge for the net in Vancouver. 

4. OJ. Sublime skating, Great IQ and passing. He is a Tanev/Edler hybrid. Had a very productive Ligia season and should be on the opening night roster. 

5. Gaudette. Kesler 2.0 Expected to be on the opening night roster. May become the best 5th round pick in club history. 

6. Kole Lind. Swiss Army knife forward with great hands. Plays on the edge and will be a great complimentary top six forward. 

7. Jonathon Dahlen Toss up between him a Lind. Both are future top six players. Serrious compete with Dahlen and character. 

8. Jonah Gadjovich. The man child is a player we need to take a left wing spot in our middle six. Would look great parked in front of the net on the PP. Gaurantee he is working on his skating right now. 

9. Jett Woo.  Going to become our physical top 4 d man of the future.  Chips in points, dishes hits and able to handle the tough stuff of need be. 

10. Michael DiPietro.  OHL goalie of the year. Needs pro coaching and has to play like he has nothing to lose. His size is against him, but his compete more than makes up for that. 

I fully expect 9/10 players on this list become NHL regulars. 

Thats amazing. 

14 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

Petterson

Hughes

Demko

Gaudette

Juolevi

Dahlen

Lind

Dipietro

Palmu

Woo

People are sleeping on Gaudette because he's not flashy. He does everything right, there's a reason he won the hobey baker.

In no universe should AG be ahead of OJ.  He's going to be good, but he's very very raw.

Archived