The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Top Ten prospects (Updated for 2018-2019)

9 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I would actually put Woo ahead of Lind and equal with Dahlen.  I live in Kelowna and like Lind a lot, but a RHD who plays in all situations, skates well and hits like a tank is worth more imho.  I think the best Lind can hope for is 2nd line.  I would not be surprised to see Woo be Hughes partner in 3 years.  I could easily see him paired with OJ as well.  That would make him a top 4 defenseman.  That is worth more than a middle six winger.

i agree based soley off potential, i just give the nod to lind at this time based off his growth and development after his draft year, if woo experiences similar growth in comparison this year he would surpass lind in my mind. Unless lind continues to grow and ends up killing it next year of course. But ya just as of now i have lind slightly higher but that could easily change

15 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

1). Elias Pettersson

• I don't think there is a need to do any more explanation. He is clear cut #1 among our prospects and arguebly the best prospect not in the NHL among all prospects from all teams in the league.

2). Thatcher Demko

• I think Demko demonstrate his potential to be an elite goaltender. I personally would still rank a potential elite goalie ahead of a potential elite Defenseman.

3). Quinn Hughes

• Explosive, elite PMD who is your ideal modern day NHL D-man. He has all the tools and the capability to develop into a #1 defenseman. One of these days, he will eclipse Alex Edler's franchise points record by a defenseman.

4). Olli Juolevi

• Calm, smooth, very smart 2-way defenseman. He plays a non-flashy but error free game. His stats as a rookie in SM-Liiga shows that he has tremendous potential. Once again, I have to state he is NOT A BUST! He is simply one of the best U20 D-man to ever play in the SM-Liiga. 

5). Adam Gaudette

• Solid 2-way center who have the capability to create offense. Kills penalties, and will become a very solid 3rd line center (behind EP and Bo) with 2nd line upside. Looking forward to see what he is capable of doing after his 6 NHL games experience at the end of last season. Should start next year on our 4th line.

6). Jonathan Dahlen

• Another one of our prospects who have played professionally before making his debut to the NHL. Led his team from the SWE-1 league to the SHL. Great character, and lots of potential in terms of skill. Thank you Ottawa!

7). Kole Lind

• Very good year in the WHL in his D+1 year. Should be playing in Utica next season. This is another 2-way forward who demonstrate offensive potential. Can play all 3 forward position and both the Powerplay and Penalty Kill. He will become one of those players where you can place him anywhere in the line-up.

8). Jett Woo

• Big defenseman, skates well, hard hitting, and can get the shot on goal through traffic. Trusted by his coaches and often assigned to shut-down opposing teams' top line last season. He shows he have room to grow in his offensive game, and given time, he could be a beast in the blueline and the type of defenseman you need to win a playoffs series.

9). Michael Dipietro

• OHL goalie of the year. Very competitive and it is another goalie prospect of ours who have the potential to be a #1 goalie. He was invited as the 3rd string goalie with Team Canada for the WC. If everything goes according to plan, he should be the starting goalie for Canada's upcoming WJC roster (and it's in Vancouver and Victoria!!).

10). Jonah Gadjovich

• The man among the boys. Great net-front presence on the PP, as well as a good PK player and always have a lot of SOG! Must improve on his skating in order to have a career in the NHL. However, his compete level and worth ethnic tells me that we shouldn't worry too much about him improving this aspect of his game.

Honourable Mentions:

William Lockwood

• Tough year for him, injured during the out-door CAN vs. USA game in the WJC last season. Very good skater and competes very hard. Too bad he got injured just as he is starting to find the next level of his play last season. Next year in the NCAA, and hopefully he shows enough that he can turn pro at the end of next year.

Lukas Jasek

• Have a very dominant showing after arriving to Utica from Czech Republic. He could completely impress coaches in training camp, and get to the NHL as soon as next season. Sample size was a bit small in the AHL last season to rank him into the top 10. If he does continue to dominate the way he did for the last few games in Utica, I would definitely put him in the top 10.

almost same list as me right on 

Looking at our potential it is awesome and there is certainly a top ten list, but until they are all 2/3 years into the league

it is more conjecture and when you get into the middle of that list, only just guesses, rally. Other than to say we have a great

prospect list. I am more exited about our 23 and under list and positional chart.....that is what is important.

XXXXX               Pettersson                 Boeser

Dahlen                Horvat                       Virtanen

Goldobin             Gaudette                   Lind

Gadjovich            Madden                    Lockwood

Motte                   MacEwen                 XXXXX

Hughes                 Stecher (24)

Juolevi                  BFG (23)

Brisebois              Woo

Sautner                Chatfield

Rathbone             XXXXX

Demko

Dipietro

That is a pretty good depth Chart! That is worth getting excited about!

Now, if we can stay down 1 more year for our elite Center! We will be on our way!

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Looking at our potential it is awesome and there is certainly a top ten list, but until they are all 2/3 years into the league

it is more conjecture and when you get into the middle of that list, only just guesses, rally. Other than to say we have a great

prospect list. I am more exited about our 23 and under list and positional chart.....that is what is important.

XXXXX               Pettersson                 Boeser

Dahlen                Horvat                       Virtanen

Goldobin             Gaudette                   Lind

Gadjovich            Madden                    Lockwood

Motte                   MacEwen                 XXXXX

Hughes                 Stecher (24)

Juolevi                  BFG (23)

Brisebois              Woo

Sautner                Chatfield

Rathbone             XXXXX

Demko

Dipietro

That is a pretty good depth Chart! That is worth getting excited about!

Now, if we can stay down 1 more year for our elite Center! We will be on our way!

It's shaping out quite nicely but there are still a couple of decent holes that need to be filled. 
We still need a #1C. Pettersson hopefully translates, but it he might stay on the wing. If not a 1C, we need an elite LW that has puck possession/ puck retrieval elements to his game. Maybe Leipsic can take over that job, since the LW job isn't very pressing. 

I'm also not convinced I'd want Stecher as my top RHD. We've got Woo and Tryamkin for the right side now, we also have Gudbranson and Stecher for the long term at the moment, but we could really use another elite RHD piece. I'm hoping Chatfield can develop to be Tanev-lite.

I have a feeling the next draft is the last one for the rebuild, then it's about getting the depth pieces. 

Key is quantity but obvious also quality, if you look back in 2013 we had a prospect list that had 

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Jensen

Gaunce

Subban

Lack

Only two of those hit and one as a fourth liner, now when you have Dahlen or Lind in that 6/7 spot only one might hit but the impact they make will make up for it 

2 hours ago, Brobidus said:

It's shaping out quite nicely but there are still a couple of decent holes that need to be filled. 
We still need a #1C. Pettersson hopefully translates, but it he might stay on the wing. If not a 1C, we need an elite LW that has puck possession/ puck retrieval elements to his game. Maybe Leipsic can take over that job, since the LW job isn't very pressing. 

I'm also not convinced I'd want Stecher as my top RHD. We've got Woo and Tryamkin for the right side now, we also have Gudbranson and Stecher for the long term at the moment, but we could really use another elite RHD piece. I'm hoping Chatfield can develop to be Tanev-lite.

I have a feeling the next draft is the last one for the rebuild, then it's about getting the depth pieces. 

I agree with you...….JFTR.....I just tried to put it in some sort of depth chart...….I agree we could use an elite RHD, as we could, another

LW/C to work with Pettersson

We still have a few pieces that have value in our veterans...……...I am curious to see if Benning will move any of Edler/Tanev/Sutter next year

and or will he move any of Markstrom, MDZ, Hutton, Pouliot or Baertschi

Our young players look great, but we could use some upgrades in the above players when the time comes...…………….now that the 2018 draft has come and gone

I am hoping for us to stay down as young players come in and learn, then move players at the TDL, then draft, then improvement upgrades in the UFA market next summer

I would like to see Benning position himself for the 2019 draft, with extra early picks...………….we shall see!

I wouldn't mind a Riley Nash or a John Moore type signing, but nothing major...………...I can handle 1 more year of positioning

Doesn't really matter what the order is, we have all of them :)

It's great to see what Benning and Co. has done to re-fill the prospect pool. They've had help by picking in the Top 10, 4 out of the last 5 years. Those were real good picks (Virtanen, Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes), but it's his later picks that have been impressive IMO.

Boeser at #23

Lind at #33

Gadjovich at #55

Rathbone at #95

Gaudette at #149

Jasek at #174

Palmu at #181

Plus trading older vets to bring in more prospects/younger players or signings (Goldobin, Dahlen, Leipsic, Stecher and Chatfield) They've built a darn good looking team on paper, now have to see what they can do over the next few years. I'm feeling positive.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Doesn't really matter what the order is, we have all of them :)

It's great to see what Benning and Co. has done to re-fill the prospect pool. They've had help by picking in the Top 10, 4 out of the last 5 years. Those were real good picks (Virtanen, Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes), but it's his later picks that have been impressive IMO.

Boeser at #23

Lind at #33

Gadjovich at #55

Rathbone at #95

Gaudette at #149

Jasek at #174

Palmu at #181

Plus trading older vets to bring in more prospects/younger players or signings (Goldobin, Dahlen, Leipsic, Stecher and Chatfield) They've built a darn good looking team on paper, now have to see what they can do over the next few years. I'm feeling positive.

Demko at 36

Tryamkin at 66

Forsling 126

Brisebois 66

I also like Brassard at 188

LW - Baertschi, Leipsic, Goldobin, Dahlen, Gadjovich

C - Horvat - Pettersson, Gaudette, MacEwen, Madden

RW - Boeser, Virtanen, Lind, Jasek, Palmu, Lockwood

LD - Juolevi, Hughes, Brisebois, Rathbone

RD - Stecher, Gudbranson, Woo, Chatfield

G - Demko, DiPietro

So, what else do we need? 

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

LW - Baertschi, Leipsic, Goldobin, Dahlen, Gadjovich

C - Horvat - Pettersson, Gaudette, MacEwen, Madden

RW - Boeser, Virtanen, Lind, Jasek, Palmu, Lockwood

LD - Juolevi, Hughes, Brisebois, Rathbone

RD - Stecher, Gudbranson, Woo, Chatfield

G - Demko, DiPietro

So, what else do we need? 

Surefire top-six LW, Tryamkin back with Juolevi and Hughes as our LHD-core, probably another high quality RHD, and for Pettersson to succeed in that 1C role. So, not a lot really. Another quality draft worth of first-half or even top 10 of each round picking, a UFA or two, and we're good to go.

1 minute ago, Guile said:

Surefire top-six LW, Tryamkin back with Juolevi and Hughes as our LHD-core, probably another high quality RHD, and for Pettersson to succeed in that 1C role. So, not a lot really. Another quality draft worth of first-half or even top 10 of each round picking, a UFA or two, and we're good to go.

Yes, that sounds good, Baertschi isn't really a #1LW, and Dahlen would be good at the #2LW spot. Getting Tryamkin back would be great. Well, one more draft? (finish it off in Vancouver).  

If, by some miracle, we get Jack Hughes in 2019, what would this mean for our Cs? Or does Horvat get traded so the Canucks Top 2 Cs are Pettersson and Hughes? Could this be why they aren't in any rush to give Horvat the C? Speculating and thinking way ahead here, just for fun. Nothing really happening, so I need to entertain myself lol

Horvat

Pettersson

Hughes?

Gaudette

MacEwen

Madden

1. The Devils Pussy - has done everything there is besides playing in the NHL
  2. Thatchy D - Elitus maximus, goalie of the future
  3. Quincy - Will challenge Tom Brady for :goat:QB
  4. OJ - Game on:ph34r:
  5. Gaudmode - Will capitalize on the vacancy at center
  6. K-Lind - Why isn't anyone covering Kole Lind?  Too late he scored.
  7. Inspector Gagjovich - Dun nah nah nah nah Woohoo
  8. The Spawn from the hottest mom - ::D Why not?
  9. Mr. Badhair - Dude part that #$%^ down the middle
  10. Tryamkinator - He'll be back, he will break you

1. The Devils Pussy - has done everything there is besides playing in the NHL
  2. Thatchy D - Elitus maximus, goalie of the future
  3. Quincy - Will challenge Tom Brady for :goat:QB
  4. OJ - Game on:ph34r:
  5. Gaudmode - Will capitalize on the vacancy at center
  6. K-Lind - Why isn't anyone covering Kole Lind?  Too late he scored.
  7. Inspector Gagjovich - Dun nah nah nah nah Woohoo
  8. The Spawn from the hottest mom - ::D Why not?
  9. Mr. Badhair - Dude part that #$%^ down the middle
  10. Tryamkinator - He'll be back, he will break you

Best nicknames since Ray Verbatim.

Also, JB please sign JVR to fill the LW hole.

Thanks

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, that sounds good, Baertschi isn't really a #1LW, and Dahlen would be good at the #2LW spot. Getting Tryamkin back would be great. Well, one more draft? (finish it off in Vancouver).  

If, by some miracle, we get Jack Hughes in 2019, what would this mean for our Cs? Or does Horvat get traded so the Canucks Top 2 Cs are Pettersson and Hughes? Could this be why they aren't in any rush to give Horvat the C? Speculating and thinking way ahead here, just for fun. Nothing really happening, so I need to entertain myself lol

Horvat

Pettersson

Hughes?

Gaudette

MacEwen

Madden

If we get Hughes or one of the other top centres, EP becomes our elite 1LW. Almost no way Horvat gets traded, unless we get a Seth Jones deal.

It would be quite storybook to, five years down the road, look back at how Vancouver's Cup winning team was completed at the 2019 draft, held in Vancouver.

Archived