The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What ufa's should we go after?

smithers joe

On 06/24/2018 at 11:43 AM, oldnews said:

that explains everything.

here's some real world metrics for you:

12 assists in 30 g, +8 with 41.8% ozone starts.  3.3 on ice goals for per 60 was top 3 on the Knights blueline, in the hardest minutes on that team (30th on the Knights in zone starts)

4 assists in the playoff, +5, 46% ozone starts.

Do the math.

That is 16 assists in 42 games, +13, playing some of the hardest minutes on that team.

What a joke Sbisa is.   

Ermagerd, he made a turnover!

That idiot - ie shoe-in coach of the year - Gerard Gallant is too stupid to see what a joke Sbisa is. 

You really seem to like Sbisa.

6 hours ago, appleboy said:

Pouliot was not qualified. 

I like this explanation -  just team playing contract games....  too early to tell clubs intentions .....

Before you panic, don’t. This doesn’t mean that Pouliot won’t be a Canuck next season.

In fact, the Canucks went through this same process with Yannick Weber a few years ago. Weber was an RFA in 2015, but the Canucks did not give him a qualifying offer. On July 1st, however, they signed Weber to a one-year, $850,000 contract.

The Canucks are the lone team that can sign Pouliot to a contract prior to July 1st, though that is only their most obvious advantage in negotiations right now. Others include Pouliot’s familiarity and comfort with the Canucks and head coach Travis Green, who also coached Pouliot with the Portland Winterhawks.

Even if Pouliot tests free agency, he may find that his best option for a contract is still with the Canucks. Even if 7th overall pick Quinn Hughes goes pro this year, the Canucks still have a significant need for puck-moving defencemen, and Pouliot provides that, even if the defensive side of his game sometimes suffers.

The Canucks also refrained from qualifying offers to Cole Cassels, Mackenze Stewart, Griffen Molino, and Anton Cederholm. All four will become UFAs, though it’s possible one or more will re-sign with the Utica Comets on AHL contracts.

6 hours ago, Seven pounds soft said:

I’d go after  stasney , Joe Thornton, J ward , James Neal , Enstrom ,De-Hann and maybe  mike green for some veteran leadership...

Boone Jenner ,  brock Nelson  maybe Tom Wilson would be the type of rfas I would be after. 

Will Angelina Jolie date 15-year-old Finn Wolfhard?

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I like this explanation -  just team playing contract games....  too early to tell clubs intentions .....

Before you panic, don’t. This doesn’t mean that Pouliot won’t be a Canuck next season.

In fact, the Canucks went through this same process with Yannick Weber a few years ago. Weber was an RFA in 2015, but the Canucks did not give him a qualifying offer. On July 1st, however, they signed Weber to a one-year, $850,000 contract.

The Canucks are the lone team that can sign Pouliot to a contract prior to July 1st, though that is only their most obvious advantage in negotiations right now. Others include Pouliot’s familiarity and comfort with the Canucks and head coach Travis Green, who also coached Pouliot with the Portland Winterhawks.

Even if Pouliot tests free agency, he may find that his best option for a contract is still with the Canucks. Even if 7th overall pick Quinn Hughes goes pro this year, the Canucks still have a significant need for puck-moving defencemen, and Pouliot provides that, even if the defensive side of his game sometimes suffers.

The Canucks also refrained from qualifying offers to Cole Cassels, Mackenze Stewart, Griffen Molino, and Anton Cederholm. All four will become UFAs, though it’s possible one or more will re-sign with the Utica Comets on AHL contracts.

No panic here bud. Just stating facts. This just shows me that Pouliot just like Weber is someone that they could keep or lose. He is, at this point not someone who is seen as a key piece for the future.

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

No panic here bud. Just stating facts. This just shows me that Pouliot just like Weber is someone that they could keep or lose. He is, at this point not someone who is seen as a key piece for the future.

With both Hughes (our clear number one pair left side D) and Juiolevi (pretty obvious is our number two left side D) coming soon, we don’t need Pouliot, except as a depth guy.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

With both Hughes (our clear number one pair left side D) and Juiolevi (pretty obvious is our number two left side D) coming soon, we don’t need Pouliot, except as a depth guy.  

Chatfield, Brisebois , Sautner and McEneny will be pushing to get a spot. Pouliot is 24 yr old. What you see is what you get. All the others are signed for next year. We will see where McEneny is after his surgery. He should have been pushing for a spot last year.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Chatfield, Brisebois , Sautner and McEneny will be pushing to get a spot. Pouliot is 24 yr old. What you see is what you get. All the others are signed for next year. We will see where McEneny is after his surgery. He should have been pushing for a spot last year.

when was his surgery?

This year is going to be a "turning point" with this team in that we are in a "Post Sedin Era" with so many players in a position to "prove" themselves. 

With Demko almost ready to make the jump and a new goaltender coach in the works, the 2 goalies will need to show whether they can be regular NHL goalies or not. 

Also, we have a glutten of middle of the road players who need to show what they can do or move them on and upgrade. Sutter, Granlund, Baertchi,Gagner, Hutton etc. need to prove their worth ,especially with the exit of the Sedins, as "somebody" needs to step up their offensive game. 

We are now seeing the young guys enter the picture and this is where most of our offensive talent is going to come from. We still have guys like Ericksson,Gagner and Sutter to help out but they are going to have to be the catalyst to any type of offensive output.

With the defense, we seem to have a good balance of veteran presence as well as a couple of reliable defensive dmen. What we lack is offense from the back end and depth. When dmen get injured such as Tanev, Guddy and Edler, the D all of a sudden look very vulnerable. 

The last and most important point is the lack of "push back" "intimidation" "punishing" type players in the line up. This became very evident when Guddy and Dorsett were out of the line up last year. This and that a lot of our youth are on the small or non-aggressive side of the game.

So with all of that being said, I think offensively we should see what we have to work with this year. See what the veterans can do and see what the young guys can do. Ditto for the goalies. Some have used the analogy "sink or swim". 

What I see as the glaringly obvious needs are toughness and dman depth and hopefully both with offensive output if available. As some have stated before, skip the has-been older softer offensive guys(Nash,Thornton,Bozak,Grabner) and god forbid no more "plugs" please. 

So, ideally, my picks for FA's would be Mike Green and James Neal and failing that a Maroon or a Nolan to protect the youngsters.

15 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

It could be because if he accepted the qualifying offer he's on a one year one way contact. They may want to re-sign him but on a two way deal. I suspect a big factor in this decision is Huttons contract of $2.8m per for the next two seasons. I thought Pouliot played better than Hutton but Hutton's deal after last season is unmoveable. There's far less certainty on the left side going into camp than the right side.

I wonder if JB goes after JVR and gives him an E. Kane type of contract.  He is a big body LW that can score but is not overly physical and is 29 years old.

JVR with Horvat and Boeser would be a very good line with a lot of scoring. Although doing this type of deal would likely result in the Canucks trading one of their tweener LWs. That would not be a bad thing....getting another draft pick for next year. Alternatively you could put JVR on a line with EP.

I am not saying signing JVR would be the right move. Just curious.

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I wonder if JB goes after JVR and gives him an E. Kane type of contract.  He is a big body LW that can score but is not overly physical and is 29 years old.

JVR with Horvat and Boeser would be a very good line with a lot of scoring. Although doing this type of deal would likely result in the Canucks trading one of their tweener LWs. That would not be a bad thing....getting another draft pick for next year. Alternatively you could put JVR on a line with EP.

I am not saying signing JVR would be the right move. Just curious.

Like you say too much scoring. Develop from within and lose from within. Now is the time. 

Not really too interested in any of the UFA 2Cs available. Not sure if any of the top LW will be interested in signing here unless they think they could get a bigger payout here with our cap space and maybe getting moved to a contender at the deadline.

With that said, I wouldn't be disappointed if the only free agent signing we make is one of Czarnik, Petan, Peca or Pirri as the 1C/2C for Utica. If we get desperate for an NHL centerman, maybe Filppula on a cheap contract. He's strong on faceoffs and can probably net a 4th or 5th rounder at the deadline.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Not really too interested in any of the UFA 2Cs available. Not sure if any of the top LW will be interested in signing here unless they think they could get a bigger payout here with our cap space and maybe getting moved to a contender at the deadline.

With that said, I wouldn't be disappointed if the only free agent signing we make is one of Czarnik, Petan, Peca or Pirri as the 1C/2C for Utica. If we get desperate for an NHL centerman, maybe Filppula on a cheap contract. He's strong on faceoffs and can probably net a 4th or 5th rounder at the deadline.

I think they are in on at least one cman, maybe even two.  JB doesn't sound sold on the idea that AG is ready to assume a c position in the NHL, and I would agree with him.  He needs some seasoning in Utica, which means they need a cpl cmen in Van

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think they are in on at least one cman, maybe even two.  JB doesn't sound sold on the idea that AG is ready to assume a c position in the NHL, and I would agree with him.  He needs some seasoning in Utica, which means they need a cpl cmen in Van

I agree that Gaudette could use a year or portion of a year in Utica and be in the top 6 there with one of my suggested signings to bolster them. I also agree that we need a 2C. We have Gagner and Granlund signed and even Gaunce as well who should take reps at center even if not taking key faceoffs. It would certainly boost Gagner's value if we can give him sheltered center minutes which could be enticing to another team come deadline time.

As for the 2C though, I'm not sold on any of the UFAs available and they might get paid more than their value simply because they are UFAs. This is why I suggested Filppula as a cheap option much like Vanek was good value for us. He would be strong on faceoffs and if Gaudette excels as the season goes on, it would give us the option to move Sutter as Filppula could take on some of his duties. I would only be interested in guys that are willing to do 1 or 2 year deals.

I like the trade options more for 2C if they can be had for reasonable offers and my top target would be Johnson simply because I think he could be had for less value than he's worth. I like Hayes as well, but I think the price for him will be more than I would like to give up.

You can believe that they'll follow the same trend of signing B-C class plugs on 2-3 year contracts like Del Zotto/Gagner last year as the youth movement graduates from Utica with a couple of 1 year vet contracts (ex. Vanek). In fact if they've been consistent in their media communication (which most times they're not), they have been consistent that they're not making a huge splash. With a weak UFA year, that's a good thing. Best to make a huge splash in a mega UFA year in 2019 (and the draft being held in the city) to start rounding out a wildcard playoff run.

Looking at the crop expect interest in the B class tier of UFA free-agents in the 24-30 age range:

- Denis Seidenberg (Boston ties with Benning - 1 year deal)

- Chris Stewart (size/bottom 6 depth)

- Pat Maroon (ties with Chia and Benning; likely sticks with Western Canada or California)

- David Perron (top 6 winger/PP)

- Jordan Nolan (size/bottom 6 and AHL depth)

- Matt Calvert (top 9...if someone is shipped out on the current roster)

- Brandon Manning (replaces Biega as 6/7th d-man)

- Christian Folin (rumored interest from Canucks as a UFA before)

- Andrej Sustr (top 4 dman...poor man's Tyler Myers which Benning has ties to)

- Calvin DeHaan (top 4 dman...especially if Hughes/Juolevi are not ready)

- Matt O'Connor - goalie depth/tryout (pushing for backup role)

- Shane Prince (Utica depth/call-up)

- Rocco Grimaldi (dropped off from Panthers...Canucks take a show me flyer on him?)

- Tyler Wotherspoon (ties to Weisbrod? AHL depth/callup?)

- Keenan Kanzig (ties to Weisbrod? AHL depth/callup?)

- Matthew Peca (interesting stats...a Center and only 25....)

I think there will be your Euro signing (SHL/KHL) and a deal will be made to solidify the top six (Zucker? S Reinhart? Skinner?) - but it'll be another ugly year without the Sedins puck possession/minute eating in the top 6. 

Archived