smithers joe

What ufa's should we go after?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

There are rumors out there that Beagle will get 4 years at 3 mil. Dear God. They missed out on using cap space for Mason so they have decided to throw the money into the streets. I feel a bunch of LE type deals coming. 4 for Rousel at 2.5.

Hey dumb *** why not try using cap space to acquire assets. Benning needs to be restricted to drafting.  Linden needs to put a freeze on trades and signings.

That's underandable anxiety....I actually would be ok with a 3 year deal on Rousel, meh to Beagle, and least anything over 2 years ... I want guys that can be flipped for picks so the term and cost have to be fair 

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's underandable anxiety....I actually would be ok with a 3 year deal on Rousel, meh to Beagle, and least anything over 2 years ... I want guys that can be flipped for picks so the term and cost have to be fair 

They are about to sign two more anchor type deals. They will call them core type players who will help to create team identity.  LOL.

Roussel is 28, 4 years makes him 32 at the end. He will replace Dorsett.

4 years for a 33 year old is just dumb. Two should be the max. Why can't our management get their heads out of their ***?

If they land Beagle then they need to flip Sutter. We don't need 7.5 mil spent between two 4th line centers.

Could someone please explain the rationale for signing a 33 year old (in October) for 4 years (aside from trading before the contract is up)?

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

They are about to sign two more anchor type deals. They will call them core type players who will help to create team identity.  LOL.

Roussel is 28, 4 years makes him 32 at the end. He will replace Dorsett.

4 years for a 33 year old is just dumb. Two should be the max. Why can't our management get their heads out of their ***?

They might get action on Roussel at a future TDL, Beagle not with that contract...I like adding Roussel, the team needs a guy like him in the forward lineup, Beagle that is a total headscratcher for that long.  Hard to sell that at the TDL, he better perform or there will be some disappointment for sure.  So much for two open spots for the Sedins....wtf?  Where Petterssons spot?  Gaudette? Motte? Leipzic?  I hope Benning has a trade set up to unload a few of these guys or somebody is getting waived, which is ok, as long as they make room.

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

Could someone please explain the rationale for signing a 33 year old (in October) for 4 years (aside from trading before the contract is up)?

It has been explained about 100 times in the Beagle thread.

Could there be a rebuilding plot in the making by giving James Neal a little higher $$$ to get him on a 1 year deal with the intention of dealing at the deadline?

Posted (edited)

You know you’re on CDC when there’s a thread about UFA’s that everyone and their grandmother are named as people we should sign haha.

Edited by Mattrek

14 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Could there be a rebuilding plot in the making by giving James Neal a little higher $$$ to get him on a 1 year deal with the intention of dealing at the deadline?

Nope Neal signed with the Flames this morning

I may be in the minority here but i really like the signings. i dont like the NTC but as a bottom feeder team we need to pay to get players to come here. I said this earlier in the year when people were talking about trading for some grit. Signing for toughness rarely disappoints the way Eriksson has. You are not looking for 30 goals a year from any of our three FA signings. Just chip in 10 goals and make life hell for other teams we play on a night in night out basis. We have been soft for way too long. Since we lost Torres, Lapierre, etc. We need those types of players in the lineup to succeed. We have an abundance of the same type player and not overly good ones at this point. as our young talent breaks into the league we need these types of players to make sure players dont just run the kids. not to fight necessarily but to make sure other teams know we will do the same if you take a run at us we will run your guys as well. sad that this is necessary but it is.

I have no issue with trading Granlund or Gaunce or Leipsic, or Gagner, we have players on the rise that will now have to compete to get their spots and thats a good thing. Petterson most likely makes this team next year, Gaudette as well. Virtanen will have to up his game also. those are good things. and every player will play a little bigger with the added players on board.

if truth be told the signing im most pissed about is the Baertschi signing. I dont get this kid. Im not seeing a lot from him to keep playing him in prime minutes with the two best players on the team and still he doesnt produce. Trading him would not leave me in tears at all.

Posted (edited)

Sportsnet with their "winners and losers" from July 1st.  To the complete shock of everyone, the Leafs were winners and Canucks losers.

They are nothing but predictable.  Problem is their reasoning and logic behind their assertions, which in this case was quite laughable and irrational:

Both Roussel and Beagle will fit in fine in Vancouver, and should contribute at least a little to a team working to turn things around. But in another year or two, when the Canucks may be ready to get back to contending for a playoff spot, those deals are unlikely to look very good. Kicking the salary cap can down the road can sometimes makes sense, but not when “down the road” is where you’re expecting to competitive again.

How does "being competitive" have anything to do with your salary cap?  In a year or two, Boeser is the only one needing a raise, and contracts like Edler, MDZ, Gagner, and Tanev will be coming off the books.  Are they really this ignorant, or is it actual bias and disdain for the team?

...and funny enough, who else was a "winner"?  The OIlers, with Brodziak and Rieder.  Why, cuz borderline players come cheap?

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It has been explained about 100 times in the Beagle thread.

Actually it wasn’t. Most liked the signing but not the term.

• Confused 1