The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What ufa's should we go after?

smithers joe

2 hours ago, springer said:

Good point on Archibald! I agree.

I'd also be telling both Erikson and Edler that where they end up playing a year from now is going to be all about how they get the job done this year. Edler still has potential he hasn't even touched...needs some motivation, IMHO.

I'm not fretting our defense. A decent mix of experience, size and skill, with some youth who should only get better...especially with Hughes entering into the mix. 

Trading Tanev shouldn't even be an option!

Word is the Canucks likely won't resign Archibald which I think is silly...played well down the stretch, is hungry and sticks up for his teammates. Would like to see him back.

8 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i think JB will pick up a couple of placeholders for this next season. who would you like to see him go after?

Hi Smithers Joe... I want big bigger biggest truculent guys that can skate.

Otherwise I guess JT would have to suffice.:)

Would look at Beagle, Maroon, Reeves, Vanek & Matthias UFA forwards would like to add RFA Tom Wilson but would cost to much unless JB can make a trade package.

Defence we need a upgrade I would look signing 2 or 3 of them Engeland, Cole, Hickey, Folin. Engeland & Folin would be great additions both blocked over 100 shots and over 120 hits each. Only Edler and MDZ had over 100 hits and 100 blocked shots last season.

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Other than Gudbranson, I believe Gagne is leading our team in career fights. Think about that for a second...

This blows my mind. I knew the Canucks were a soft team but when you put it like this, just wow!

I'd definitely be on board with the Canucks signing Ryan Reaves.

• -SN- changed the title to What ufa's should we go after?

b b b

gaunce sutter motte

leip gaudette petersson

loui gags virt

granlund goldy

just a mish mash line up but I dont see a lot of spots available if we want to see if these guys can take another step.  And the 2 guys I have as extras need to play as well.   I want to see who can seize the opportunity.  

Sbisa.

Deal MDZ to Chicago for a pick in 19 (assuming the rumours of them wanting him had substance).

Richardson, Beagle, Vermette, Grant, Letestu - one veteran depth faceoff matchup 4C.  short term.  still has to outcompete our youth.

move Gagner.

2 hours ago, boziffous said:

This blows my mind. I knew the Canucks were a soft team but when you put it like this, just wow!

I'd definitely be on board with the Canucks signing Ryan Reaves.

But he can't play worth a damn. Go look at DD goals or assists to Bo. He was a PLAYER. People moaned about his contract but apparently couldn't see how high a hockey IQ, how fast or how good in defence DD was.

As I say the only player I see in UFA resembling DD is Antoine Roussel. Here is what a Dallas fan says about him, it's a good read.

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2018/4/20/17260232/dallas-stars-season-player-grades-antoine-roussel-nhl-2017-2018-analysis-penalties-left-wing

100% agree with Roussel as a good target. No one else needed.

Don’t think we need to get a 2C. Just use what we have, be patient and use next season as development time for our young stars. I want to see Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Virtanen and Juolevi on the team and getting opportunities to develop.

Canucks haven’t used traditional 4 lines for some time. Instead go with a matchup/shutdown line of:

Roussel-Sutter-Ericksson

These guys will have the most minutes every night and taking the tough matchups.

Then use 3 scoring and sheltered lines, such as:

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser

Baer-Granlund-Virtanen

Leipsic-Gaudette-Goldobin

Keep Gagner as 13th fwd

Starting lineup for defense:

Edler-Gudbranson

MDZ-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Pouliot-Biega

Bring Juolevi up when injuries strike and trade MDZ at TDL to keep Juolevi in the NHL paired with Tanev.

13 hours ago, C.A. Nux said:

Vanek for one. Maybe bring Juice home to teach the young D the superman punch. There are a lot of ufa's out there, but most likely only a handful of real possibilities.  

Pre draft I wanted Carlson.  If we moved Hutton and MDZ (6.6 m) we would almost pay for his salary demands. I would rather have quality over quantity.  

Now that we have Quinn, I still think this is a good move. Yes there is plenty of guys coming up on the FA market next year if they are not resigned first. 

To me he is worth the ask and can provide exactly what we need from a defender and team leader moving forward. 

Quinn Carlson 

Edler Tanev

OJ Guddy 

Pouliot Stetcher

That is a solid defence that would become a top ten defemce in the league. 

As Edler and Tanev’s contacts expire or are traded Tram

and Woo could step in 

Carlson would also support team toughness. 

The club will target a center. Bozak seems likely, not sold on him at all, but counting on Gaudette to be able to center a 2nd/3rd line is asking a lot of a first year player. 

We have a plethora of wingers that need to either to rise to the top or be traded. 

The only winger I want is Reeves, or bring in another tough guy that will deter the meatheads from running our young players. 

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Sbisa.

Deal MDZ to Chicago for a pick in 19 (assuming the rumours of them wanting him had substance).

Richardson, Beagle, Vermette, Grant, Letestu - one veteran depth faceoff matchup 4C.  short term.  still has to outcompete our youth.

move Gagner.

Totally agree with your moves out with MDZ and Gagner. Always liked Richardson and Sbisa. With his year last season I suspect Sbisa can demand term which is what he should do. Adding a vet to the d-core could mean moving an existing player. I still hold out hope that Tanev can be moved but who knows. The biggest issue signing UFA's is term and that brings into question the amount of TOI available for player development. For a team serious about rebuilding I still think the Canucks have to many vets. 

15 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think we do need a top six center to replace Hank for the short term until Pettersson is ready to move into the middle full time. Maybe someone like a Bozak.

People seem to be down on someone like Bozak, but the reality is we literally don't have a 2C. We have to sign one to field an actual hockey team. Or we could throw Gaudette in there and let him get trashed in his first real year.

No one. People have been talking about life after the Sedins and getting rid of the vets since before the Sedins announced their retirement. Let the youngins play. Sink or swim...that's what the most vocal fans have been calling for.

10 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Word is the Canucks likely won't resign Archibald which I think is silly...played well down the stretch, is hungry and sticks up for his teammates. Would like to see him back.

He played great for the first 5 games or so back up, then he seemed to get comfortable and eased up a bit.  I'd like to have him in Utica as a callup, but I don't think his performance indicated he deserves a spot in a healthy NHL lineup.  We need someone who will bring that mean streak consistently and make opponents think twice about running our young stars.

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

But he can't play worth a damn. Go look at DD goals or assists to Bo. He was a PLAYER. People moaned about his contract but apparently couldn't see how high a hockey IQ, how fast or how good in defence DD was.

As I say the only player I see in UFA resembling DD is Antoine Roussel. Here is what a Dallas fan says about him, it's a good read.

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2018/4/20/17260232/dallas-stars-season-player-grades-antoine-roussel-nhl-2017-2018-analysis-penalties-left-wing

Ryan Reaves was very good in the post season.  Scored. Played a regular shift.  Strong on forecheck.

are there better hybrid types available?  Roussell would be the only one.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

What are the odds we are one of these clubs.

both of these would be nice adds.  Hartnall probably stays in Columbus tho unless they feel he's to old.

I don’t really want either.  The Leafs will miss Bozak, a lot.  He was their best two way center.  I see Matthews and Kadri taking steps back this season, as they are required to take on Bozak’s harder minutes.

#Who doesn’t hate the Leafs?

Archived