The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What ufa's should we go after?

smithers joe

54 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I think I would rather Bozak over JVR.  We could easily end up with JVR tho lol. If we do I suspect we could be a playoff club.

I like JVR but he's looking at a Loui Eriksson contract (6 x 6) and that's too long for me.

Bozak isn't as flashy a signing but we need a C and I don't think Bozak's in the position to command more than 2 or 3 years.

8 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Strong interest in Bozak according to TSN.

https://www.tsn.ca/strong-interest-in-bozak-ahead-of-free-agency-1.1121732

Edit: sorry, I see someone posted a Dreger tweet earlier.

He is a toronto player so naturally the TO media says there is lots of interest.

Someone will sign him for too much money and term. It better not be the Canucks.

None

2018-2019  is yet another Tank year.

We don't have the pieces to compete quite yet. WE need another tank.  

Lets draft Jack Hughes next year at #1 first pick.

No point loading up on UFA 's this summer so we can compete for 27th again.....

The TANK is still on. 

The only FA to pick up is a  scrapper for our 4th line on a 1 yr contract. 

15 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm not surprised. At the end of the season he said he'd like to come back to Vancouver but would want an NTC on his deal this time. No thanks to placeholders wanting an NTC. I'm not opposed to a role player or two, or even a 27/28 yr old stud. But over 30's wanting more than a year or two with an NTC should be off the table.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

None

2018-2019  is yet another Tank year.

We don't have the pieces to compete quite yet. WE need another tank.  

Lets draft Jack Hughes next year at #1 first pick.

No point loading up on UFA 's this summer so we can compete for 27th again.....

The TANK is still on. 

The only FA to pick up is a  scrapper for our 4th line on a 1 yr contract. 

Yeah I think it's a tank year too.Lets get Maroon Roussel Reaves and give the kids breathing room to learn the pro game. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah I think it's a tank year too.Lets get Maroon Roussel Reaves and give the kids breathing room to learn the pro game. 

I like getting some players to protect them. Agree we do need some physical response when someone messes with the youngsters.

3 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I like JVR but he's looking at a Loui Eriksson contract (6 x 6) and that's too long for me.

Bozak isn't as flashy a signing but we need a C and I don't think Bozak's in the position to command more than 2 or 3 years.

I think the signings this year should be short term, no no trade clauses, and really unless its a player we are expecting to be here when the team does enter the playoff fray we need some toughness.

I think our best bet is to sign Rousell or Reaves or Maroon and let the kids we have develop.

We shouldnt be expecting to sign free agents and plana parade because of it. we are not ready for that yet.

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think the signings this year should be short term, no no trade clauses, and really unless its a player we are expecting to be here when the team does enter the playoff fray we need some toughness.

I think our best bet is to sign Rousell or Reaves or Maroon and let the kids we have develop.

We shouldnt be expecting to sign free agents and plana parade because of it. we are not ready for that yet.

Agreed. I want to see UFA signed when we have a core that can challenge for a playoff run.. Then you add a few UFA's to put your club into the Cup pursuit.

At this point we are a rebuilding club with nice prospects....

So i am a . NO for any UFA's  unless it is  a  big nasty 4th line forward that likes to face punch.... I think we need one of those...  This time no smurfs like Dorset either....

Can't make up my mind (because I haven't seen him play enough and/or not sure an offensive centre is the right direction this year) but what are cdc's thoughts on signing V. Filppula to a 2 year deal (not sure if he will get longer term on the open market)?

That would provide an offensive centre for Pettersson and balance out the opening day line-up down the middle:

Leipsic - Bo - Boeser

Pettersson - Filppula - Eriksson

Granlund - Sutter - Gagner

Goldy - Gaudette - Virtanen

Gaunce, Motte, Baer (trade bait)

1 hour ago, longsuffering said:

Please no knuckleheads! It just provokes trouble and retaliation against your better players.

Maybe a classy seasoned vet who can teach the younger players how to not let losing destroy your confidence.

Ya, like...

no need for someone over 5’11 and 185lbs who plays a regular shift, with an edge.

Never need guys like that on a team...

3D5945B7-CB89-4A62-BFF0-09EA3BF291FF.gif.4614d615cc7e5242c439ce8a4fce2886.gif37B38F94-F724-4DD5-8E2D-1AC96531F41B.gif.5ba3a4730123ea255ba8a6b5e9e1201b.gif

One Leader is smoked right in front of his team by his rival. 

No pushback or retaliation ensues. (Classy, seasoned vets show kids how to lose, not only confidence, but respect, the series and multiple Cups)

Rival (knucklehead) wins Cup. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Ya, like...

no need for someone over 5’11 and 185lbs who plays a regular shift, with an edge.

Never need guys like that on a team...

3D5945B7-CB89-4A62-BFF0-09EA3BF291FF.gif.4614d615cc7e5242c439ce8a4fce2886.gif37B38F94-F724-4DD5-8E2D-1AC96531F41B.gif.5ba3a4730123ea255ba8a6b5e9e1201b.gif

One Leader is smoked right in front of his team by his rival. 

No pushback or retaliation ensues. (Classy, seasoned vets show kids how to lose, not only confidence, but respect, the series and multiple Cups)

Rival (knucklehead) wins Cup. 

I like his game too.

20 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

My buddy actually replaced Graves on tour when he got booted out of The Misfits years ago...he ended up doing 9-10 shows to finish the tour for them.  Myself i am more of a Danzig era fan ;)

favorite thing I saw was a backgrounder on Graves where he himself described after he left the band he was working either at an ihop or a dennny's ..i can't recall...and someone recognized him but didn't talk to him about it when he was their waiter...and at the end they left him a one dollar tip with jiffy marker on it saying "Here is a tip: Don't quit the Misfits!"

He said that was the worst 'down' moment of his entire life, as they had gone on to a great south american tour that basically revived the bands fortunes while Doyle ramped up their merchandising creating residual income that is still coming in much higher than actual album sales income. For me, I like the many incarnations of the group and I still think its fun to find a Misfits concert on youtube or the HIFI channel and have a blast. 

However, to your question earlier, which UFA's to swing at for Vancouver? 

The club has a lot of capspace available but I would worry about a long term high stakes deal for anyone that is 'top of the frenzy' as whoever gets them will overpay. That being said within the top 30 supposed UFA's...reading various sportsnews lists...we ought to seek out skilled, relatively younger UFA's and so I can put in my wish list here.

Patrick Kane! I think Kane has only begun to show his best stuff. if available we may want to swing for that talent level on the wing, he is my big wish UFA landing, haha. 

Patrick Maroon intrigues me a little as a beefy power forward style left winger..maybe if the price is right as an option for the lineup on any given night where we need that truculence or to slot in up and down the lineup where needed or for injury relief. literally could play 1st 2nd 33rd or 4th line and never be terrible at any of those roles, imo.

Would we want to pay 10 or 11 million for John Tavares? I would want him here absolutely if it was 9.9m or less, hahaha. hopefully much less, but i doubt it. he is in line for a massive payday the question is do the canucks want to be the ones to sign that cheque? I really wouldn't object as he may be the crown jewel in this youth movement/rebuild if they can land him (*and yes i am contradicting myself but come on it is a 27 year old Tavares on the open market...we have to try to offer him in the ballpark and see what happens: even if all that happens is that the team he does go to pays a little more than otherwise for him. lol

I don't think Mike Green is the hero we need but maybe he is the hero we deserve on the blue line if the price is right. I believe the coaching staff can shelter him with easier less physical assignments and deploy him strategically on the Power Play..but I think everyone thinks that...price would determine my interest level. cheaper is better and there are better all around options out there, so ...maybe? 

Those are the big names..a bunch of RFA's i really want but that costs us and I am cautious about spending picks or youth to get anyone..i like our direction as a team and I am fairly confident that just one or two key pickups will be the best UFA strategy. I am not good at this...but you asked, so that is my random thoughts this morning. 

Archived