The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What ufa's should we go after?

smithers joe

Tavares 

Realistically I doubt he'd have interest in us, so I am fine doing nothing. Some middle 6 placeholders like already mentioned is fine. Only if the deals are only 1-2 years. We got a good crop of youngsters, and I don't want us being stuck with a bunch of Erikssons being a fat Snorlax in their path. Unless the league gives us some Pokeflutes (compliance buyouts) to remove them. Sorry for the Pokemon analogies, I am done now. Short term MDZ type deals or do nothing. Outside of Tavares, who may re-sign before Free Agency, this Free Agent crop has nothing of major interest. Enough interest to give more than 1-3 year deals anyway.

We have to realize we didn't get much bang for our buck from last years UFA's and they need to be replaced with what we need. 

UFA's, by design should come in and make an impact if not cut them loose.There's always new UFA's every year. No one should get comfortable ie country club comfy.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We have to realize we didn't get much bang for our buck from last years UFA's and they need to be replaced with what we need. 

UFA's, by design should come in and make an impact if not cut them loose.There's always new UFA's every year. No one should get comfortable ie country club comfy.

No one has ever accused Green of running a country club atmosphere.  

Hutton is too scattered brain to be a consistently good dman...they say if you have talent, then 90% is mental...Hutton doesn't have the focused, intense mental aspect of the game, which results in a lot of fire drills.

Pouilot doesn't think the game fast enough and therefore stops skating, he too lacks the mental aspect of the game.

Canucks need to replace both Hutton and Pouliot.

Hoping for a quiet offseason, as boring as that sounds. 

We have a lot of unanswered questions with our roster that need answers.

1. What do we, truly have in players like Virtanen, Goldy, Gaunce, Leipsic, Pouliot, Hutton, and Gaudette?

2. Where does Pettersson fit in the lineup?

3. What if players like Hughes and Dahlen prove worthy of spots? Where do they fit?

4. Is Markus Granlund a keeper or not?

A full season of inactivity in the wheeling and dealing front will give management a chance to sort out the hackers and non-hackers.

Going into next year's offseason with a clear understanding of what is on the wish list puts us in great position to draft or acquire players that fill those needs.

As our roster stands, I see next season being a very exciting and interesting one.

I don't believe we are in for a great season, wins and losses wise, but I do believe we will be greatly entertained with youthful energy.

We have enough RFA's needing new deals that will get us to the cap floor.. 

For now I'd prefer if we stand pat and let next season play out as is.

On 24/06/2018 at 5:54 PM, riffraff said:

Ryan Reaves was very good in the post season.  Scored. Played a regular shift.  Strong on forecheck.

are there better hybrid types available?  Roussell would be the only one.

I suppose deep down I don't really want either of them. 

That said I suppose we have to have someone to back up our young boys.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, Pears said:

Nash and Thornton on cheap deals if they’re willing to come here? I would keep Thornton for the year so Pettersson can learn from him but we could more than likely flip Nash to a contender for a nice haul. 

In the spirit of having older players around to guide younger players, I would love to have Nash come here love the player love what he brings to the room.

Ive wanted Nash on this team for awhile now, would try a 2 year deal and see where it goes from there.

Hopefully there are no long term or expensive FA's signed. Based on what the media is reporting JB has said, it does not sound like the Canucks will be pursuing any big name players (no Tavares). 

Baertschi  Horvat  Boeser

Granlund  Sutter  Eriksson

Leipsic  Gagner  Virtanen

Gaunce  Gaudette  Goldobin

Edler Gudbranson

Del Zotto Tanev

Hutton Stecher

Pouliot Biega

Markstrom

Nilsson

The names are place holders, I am not saying these are the lines/pairings. I appreciate the 23 man roster concept as well so there will be at least 1 more forward. This does not allow for youth other than Gaudette. So add Pettersson, Demko and Juolevi to that mix. Does Hughes make the team? Do they sign Archibald? The reality is if you add FA's you will have to make some minor trades or they need to be strategic on who goes down to the AHL to avoid waiver losses. At this point, every player in means a player out. 

Personally I prefer running a line up not to far from that. Yes it will be hard on the youth - but they will play and they will learn. I fully expect the Canucks to finish bottom 10 next season. If I would consider anything, I would be working a trade with Dallas for Spezza. 1 year left on his deal. Good second line centre, good as a mentor and that should net some sort of value in trade back for the cap hit. Not sure Dallas and Vancouver are on trading terms however...

It will be interesting to see the line up for Oct 3. Will be a tough season to watch but I am fully on board with one more year of pain. 

The only UFA's I'd want us to sign would be a 2nd Line Center and maybe a bottom six forward enforcer. I don't think we should throw Pettersson right into the line-up as our 2C and I think we need some more grit to make sure our kids don't get pushed around. Tyler Bozak, Riley Nash, or Derek Ryan would be interesting pick-ups. 

That being said, I'd also be happy if we stayed relatively quiet and let the kids play with Sutter being our 2C. It's a rebuild year after all.

Are you looking to improve your stats and rejuvenate your career? Perhaps an increase in your pay down the road? Maybe be a part of Canadian history?

WANTED:

Top 6 Centre to play with Elias Pettersson in Vancouver, one of the best young prospects to come out of Sweden

Beautiful location in Canada's Southwest (Vancouver, BC).

Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity

*slow/average skaters need not apply

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

I suppose deep down I don't really want either of them. 

That said I suppose we have to have someone to back up our young boys.

Lol

i hear you.....but I also know that we both bitch about doormatism throughout the year.

I would go after Beagle, Grabner and Cole. Beagle and Grabner could form 2/3 of a pretty effective 4th line, already giving us speed and grit, with some goal scoring. Ian Cole would be the only D I would go after, and that is not a really firm commitment; with him being a lefty, at least 2 current guys would have to go...not that I would really mind seeing Poulliott and MDZ elsewhere. Hutton gets one more year, but that's it.

If we don't do anything, this is the our projected group for next year (assuming Baertschi is re-signed):

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Granlund - Goldobin

Eriksson - Sutter - Virtanen

Leipsic - Gagner - Archibald

Gaunce

Edler - Tanev

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Pouliot / Biega

- Unless he has a phenomenal camp, I don't see Gaudette starting on the big club next year. He will be the first call-up though when our usual injury bug hits.

- Hughes is a big question mark because he may decide to turn pro for this season. If he does, does he end up pushing out Hutton / Pouliot for a spot? or does he start in the AHL as well? I'm thinking the latter (or College) as there is absolutely no rush to put him in our line up.

Without doing anything, what we truly lack is a formidable 2nd line centerman. I don't think either Granlund, Sutter, or Gagner fits that bill, but does it really matter if this is another year of rebuild / development (see what happens)?

Just now, 250Integra said:

If we don't do anything, this is the our projected group for next year (assuming Baertschi is re-signed):

Pettersson - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Granlund - Goldobin

Eriksson - Sutter - Virtanen

Leipsic - Gagner - Archibald

Gaunce

Edler - Tanev

Del Zotto - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Pouliot / Biega

- Unless he has a phenomenal camp, I don't see Gaudette starting on the big club next year. He will be the first call-up though when our usual injury bug hits.

- Hughes is a big question mark because he may decide to turn pro for this season. If he does, does he end up pushing out Hutton / Pouliot for a spot? or does he start in the AHL as well? I'm thinking the latter (or College) as there is absolutely no rush to put him in our line up.

Without doing anything, what we truly lack is a formidable 2nd line centerman. I don't think either Granlund, Sutter, or Gagner fits that bill, but does it really matter if this is another year of rebuild / development (see what happens)?

Pouliot was not qualified. 

Archived