The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Which NHL 2018 Draftee's are AHL eligible?

Rush17

Hi guys, I was curious if anyone knows who of our prospects might be AHL eligible next season? I  know Hughes has expressed interest and turning pro either in Vancouver or Utica.  Do we know of any other players who "could" and who we think "may"?  I am assuming Artyom Manukyan is age eligible but will they bring him over?  :) Good questions to ask. I want to cheer for Utica strong this year. A few more bodies would help for that! 

World Jr Eligible Players:

Hughes (USA) likely candidate if not in nhl/ahl

Woo (Canada) maybe? anyone know if he's a consideration?

Manukyan (Russia) likely candidate

Utunen (Finland) likely, captain of Finnish U18 team

Madden (USA) he might be more a long shot? what do you think

Thiessen (CAN) likely won't be considered.

22 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Thanks Baggins. Can someone translate this to our guys?  

If they play in either the WHL, OHL, or QMJHL(the three collectively fall under the CHL) and are 19 or younger, they cannot play in the AHL. Hughes can play AHL because he’s a 1999 born player who has a year of college under his belt. Any players from Europe can play in the AHL. Players like Madden who are about to go to college can’t becuase of their age, they would have to either go NHL or one of the CHL leagues listed above.

Hughes (USA) NHL/AHL/College/CHL

Woo (Canada) NHL/WHL

Manukyan (Russia) NHL/KHL/AHL

Utunen (Finland) NHL/AHL/Liiga 

Madden (USA) NHL/College/CHL

Thiessen (CAN) NHL/College/CHL

Anybody feel free to correct me but I believe that’s how it goes. 

1 hour ago, Salter said:

If they play in either the WHL, OHL, or QMJHL(the three collectively fall under the CHL) and are 19 or younger, they cannot play in the AHL. Hughes can play AHL because he’s a 1999 born player who has a year of college under his belt. Any players from Europe can play in the AHL. Players like Madden who are about to go to college can’t becuase of their age, they would have to either go NHL or one of the CHL leagues listed above.

Hughes (USA) NHL/AHL/College/CHL

Woo (Canada) NHL/WHL

Manukyan (Russia) NHL/KHL/AHL

Utunen (Finland) NHL/AHL/Liiga 

Madden (USA) NHL/College/CHL

Thiessen (CAN) NHL/College/CHL

Anybody feel free to correct me but I believe that’s how it goes. 

Utunen to the AHL!!! LESS GO!!!

3 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Realistically I see:

Hughes: NHL / College 

Woo: WHL

Manukyan: KHL / MHL

Utunen: Liiga 

Madden: NCAA

Thiessen: NCAA / USHL 

I believe Manukyan would be too old for the MHL this coming season as it's a junior (20 and under) league. It's either the KHL, AHL, or even the NHL for him.

40 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I believe Manukyan would be too old for the MHL this coming season as it's a junior (20 and under) league. It's either the KHL, AHL, or even the NHL for him.

I read somewhere that Manukyan signed a 2 year contract in the KHL, so probably won't see him here for another couple of years.

1 hour ago, pluralsight said:

Good spot! Definitely looks like KHL thrnthen

1 hour ago, NHL'er said:

Realistically I see:

Hughes: NHL / College 

Woo: WHL

Manukyan: KHL / MHL

Utunen: Liiga 

Madden: NCAA

Thiessen: NCAA / USHL 

I read somewhere Thiessen will stay in his league then move up to NCAA with Maine where he has committed himself to the year following. No idea if it's true read it on a news site tho

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I read somewhere that Manukyan signed a 2 year contract in the KHL, so probably won't see him here for another couple of years.

Agreed, I'm sure the Canucks would be happy to let him develop playing professional hockey in Russia but there is no recognition of NHL contracts in KHL and vice versa so theoretically he could jump ship and come over to play in N.America at any time.  If the Canucks have no confidence in Manukyan's team in developing the player then they will put pressure on him to bolt from Russia.  The NHL do recognise other European league contracts though, so Utunen may have to honour his Finnish contract before coming to N.America.    

6 hours ago, danaimo said:

Agreed, I'm sure the Canucks would be happy to let him develop playing professional hockey in Russia but there is no recognition of NHL contracts in KHL and vice versa so theoretically he could jump ship and come over to play in N.America at any time.  If the Canucks have no confidence in Manukyan's team in developing the player then they will put pressure on him to bolt from Russia.  The NHL do recognise other European league contracts though, so Utunen may have to honour his Finnish contract before coming to N.America.    

I think the Canucks would have to buy out the contract (or the player has to buy out the contract himself, but I'm sure the team will help out in this case) if they want him to break his contract unless he has an out clause or something. I believe this is also the course of action required if we want to bring Tryamkin back, but Tryamkin seems committed to finishing out his contract.

9 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Can a player go back to college after they've signed a pro contract? I thought the whole idea of the NCAA is that there was to be no professional sports players playing on their teams?

Nope, that's why for Hughes it's either make the leap to pro (NHL/AHL) or continue at college. He can't try it out then go back. Can't play pre-season games either.

9 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Can a player go back to college after they've signed a pro contract? I thought the whole idea of the NCAA is that there was to be no professional sports players playing on their teams?

Once you go pro, there is no going back to the NCAA. It’s why Brady hasn’t fully committed to signing his ELC now or after another year. It’s a pretty major decision.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Once you go pro, there is no going back to the NCAA. It’s why Brady hasn’t fully committed to signing his ELC now or after another year. It’s a pretty major decision.

Are these top prospects like Hughes and BT choosing the NCAA development route to get their degrees, or to become NHL players?  I think these top guys get their pro careers started this summer or next summer.  I think they went the NCAA route, because they felt it was best for them to get to the NHL.  

31 minutes ago, Salter said:

Nope, that's why for Hughes it's either make the leap to pro (NHL/AHL) or continue at college. He can't try it out then go back. Can't play pre-season games either.

I don't think he can participate in the prospect games or practices either.

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are these top prospects like Hughes and BT choosing the NCAA development route to get their degrees, or to become NHL players?  I think these top guys get their pro careers started this summer or next summer.  I think they went the NCAA route, because they felt it was best for them to get to the NHL.  

May be a little of getting a degree for some but also a very good way to develop with less games and more practice time.  Next step for a lot of USNTDP guys as well as they don't screw up their college eligibility for the pittance of a salary the CHL pays.

I rip the Canadian junior system a lot, I think for good reason but won't re-hash here other than say would like to see them drop the number of games.

Plus being a star in a NCAA program is a pretty good life in many ways.  I am 46 and would go back to University in a second if it only payed money, god knows I spent a lot of years there as it is.

Archived