The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How should the Sedins stay involved ?

cuporbust

What area would you like to see the twins help out in ?   

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys . Just wondering what  everyone thinks on the idea of Danny and hank joining management here? Posted a few ideas on how to keep them involved here, as I can't imagine to better guys to hire. 

Doesn't have to be a title , can just be specific things u would love to see them take on . 

For me , I'd like to see a new role created . Basically everything they did off ice as leaders . Make them hosts to new kids like Quinn Hughes I say. They did so much for the young guys we brought in already, I think they can do allot of that without putting skates on . Off ice captains of sorts . Be the guys to show the new players around , take them through how they prepared for games,  summer training,  ins and outs of being a pro.... things like that. 

Thoughts?

coaching is definately a possibility but if they didn't join the management team they could continue there work they have done in the community. Either way they'd still be around and there is definately nothing wrong with that. :)

I could see them as some type of player development consultants. I feel like they'd look for a role with limited/flexible time commitment since they're both mostly focused on family time right now. 

I could see them holding seminars for new draftees and young players each summer, maybe even throughout the year. Not just teaching them about work ethic, diet, and staying fit but also how to conduct oneself in the media and be a supportive team player. I'd love to see them have an annual charity event they get the kids hands on with.

Currently, they'll stay involved in the community and that's all that they need to do really. I say they take a few years (2-5 years) off for themselves to focus on family. After that, maybe get them into player development a bit. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Sedins are going to potentially start  mentoring at least one to two years from now. Bieksa will be brought back on as a defensive coordinator. 

bieksas one of those guys who HAVE to sign that one last "one day" contract to retire properly, if there was ever a more deserving guy who's moved on from the team

for now, publicly, unofficial ambassadors. involved in canucks events and initiatives but not in any official capacity. 

behind the scenes, I'd like to see them casually being around the team. not employed, but still being visible to the young guys and available for advice. you know that with them staying in vancouver, they'll still be working out at team facilities and that alone will be huge because it will keep everyone honest in regards to fitness. 

Media relations and team ambassador's are probably what they'll want to do.

I don't think they'll want to coach since one of the reasons they retired was to be home for their kids while they're going to school. Maybe once their kids are done with schooling they'll look at the coaching option or go back to Sweden.

They need to NOT be involved at all, at least directly with the team and players.

It is time for new players to take on leadership roles in the dressing room, for the media, and in the community.

Even in the regular world outside hockey it is bad having the old leaders hanging around.  The guys will temd to defer to them  and not step up themselves.

The team needs to wait a couple years and let a new culture and leadership group emerge before the Sedins come back in any capacity.

38 minutes ago, Provost said:

They need to NOT be involved at all, at least directly with the team and players.

It is time for new players to take on leadership roles in the dressing room, for the media, and in the community.

Even in the regular world outside hockey it is bad having the old leaders hanging around.  The guys will temd to defer to them  and not step up themselves.

The team needs to wait a couple years and let a new culture and leadership group emerge before the Sedins come back in any capacity.

They're pretty smart guys.  I would expect them to not want to be involved in anything hockey because the team has to find it's way without them. 

Let's not forget that they retired for family reasons.  Their kids are getting older and they want to give them all the support they can.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them remain involved with the charity work that they love so much. 

Archived