The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

26 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Hughes is extremely unlikely to drop beyond 2. I would imagine he still goes #1.

It really depends. Some teams could be looking for immediate help, and drafting someone like Kakko, who’s ready to play, would be very beneficial. 

This is a huge draft for us. After this season I think the franchise goal will legitimately be to make playoffs rather than another 'development year' like the last few.

And I'm good with that, but I'd be nice to have 1 more high-ish pick & maybe even another 2nd or 3rd to play with. Just one more draft like that where we can get a big haul.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

It really depends. Some teams could be looking for immediate help, and drafting someone like Kakko, who’s ready to play, would be very beneficial. 

Ya, the only one that will get by Hughes would be Kakko. You'd be an idiot to pass on Hughes if he's available at #2.

So much can happen between now and the draft but for what it is worth, comparing notes with a bunch of people who follow CHL leagues more than I do, the best possible fit for the Canucks could be a player in their own backyard.    A few commented to me that they believe Bowen Byram who is playing for the Vancouver Giants could be one of those late bloomers who people later wonder why he wasn't taken in the first two or three when it is all said and done.   He apparently does pretty much everything very well and that includes have elite wheels.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is a huge draft for us. After this season I think the franchise goal will legitimately be to make playoffs rather than another 'development year' like the last few.

And I'm good with that, but I'd be nice to have 1 more high-ish pick & maybe even another 2nd or 3rd to play with. Just one more draft like that where we can get a big haul.

Absolutely agree, one more big draft with hopefully some high picks and we could be set up for many contending years. Dream scenario would be to trade Edler and Sutter this deadline for a 1st+ 2nd and then resign Edler at 5M*3yrs. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So much can happen between now and the draft but for what it is worth, comparing notes with a bunch of people who follow CHL leagues more than I do, the best possible fit for the Canucks could be a player in their own backyard.    A few commented to me that they believe Bowen Byram who is playing for the Vancouver Giants could be one of those late bloomers who people later wonder why he wasn't taken in the first two or three when it is all said and done.   He apparently does pretty much everything very well and that includes have elite wheels.

Does Bowem Byram do anything amazing though because that sounds like Juolevi when he was drafted.

Just now, NuckForReal!!! said:

Does Bowem Byram do anything amazing though because that sounds like Juolevi when he was drafted.

Different players physically and how the look to the eye.   Juolevi was big and polished at 14 and made it look easy (he still does) to the point it bothers some people.   He is still learning angles and such but will be effective without being noticed.    Byram is very "noticed" and often plays like a Tasmanian Devil.   Entirely different players.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Different players physically and how the look to the eye.   Juolevi was big and polished at 14 and made it look easy (he still does) to the point it bothers some people.   He is still learning angles and such but will be effective without being noticed.    Byram is very "noticed" and often plays like a Tasmanian Devil.   Entirely different players.

Exactly why I’ve been adamant we should get him

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It's unfortunate he's a left dman because we already have many of those. I just don't see Benning and co. going after another left dman  like last year

47 minutes ago, NuckForReal!!! said:

It's unfortunate he's a left dman because we already have many of those. I just don't see Benning and co. going after another left dman  like last year

He can play either side....so can Hughes.    It isn't the issue it was in the days when these guys were large pylons who just chipped pucks off the boards.   I think if Byram was available to the Canucks they would take him in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It'd be nice if we could get some luck in the lottery and move up top 5...I would honestly love to grab him. Saw him play vs Vic and man did he ever look good. The way he controlled the pace of the game reminded me of Pronger.....and I love Pronger haha.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Reminds me of Morgan Reilly

He reminds me of Drew Doughty but any prospect can bust. He does frighten me because it feels like the Juolevi situation. That and Byram seems like he could just as easily become a top 4 in the elk of Josh Morrissey. As it stands right now I pick Byram if I have the 6th pick but I don’t pick him before Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach or Podkolzin.

Hoping Nathan Légaré is available in round 2 but I have a feeling he is gonna climb towards the end of the season. Big power forward, excellent finisher, strong on the puck, character player, however skating requires a bit of work.

4th is Q scoring, very impressive so far but numbers are a bit inflated due to playing with chekhovich and Fortier. Nevertheless playing good hockey!

10 hours ago, cyoung said:

Hoping Nathan Légaré is available in round 2 but I have a feeling he is gonna climb towards the end of the season. Big power forward, excellent finisher, strong on the puck, character player, however skating requires a bit of work.

4th is Q scoring, very impressive so far but numbers are a bit inflated due to playing with chekhovich and Fortier. Nevertheless playing good hockey!

Take a look at grewe. Figuring he is gonna be within range of our second. Guy has got some elite skill, but a non stop motor.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Isam said:

Take a look at grewe. Figuring he is gonna be within range of our second. Guy has got some elite skill, but a non stop motor.

If grewe is there with the second you have to take him. From everything I've heard, he is a pain in the ass to play against, non stop motor, best pker in the draft and has decent offensive skills.

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2019 at 2:06 AM, Shiftynifty said:

Byram is looking better and better stat-wise. Will probably be out of our range (10-15) during the draft :(

Dont be so sure about that that. Take for example turcotte who has literally played his way into the top five since coming back from injury