The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Newhook is #15 I know its Belarus but that's pretty slick. Made a kid throw his stick at the ref in frustration on the last one after he danced through everyone 3 on 3. Though that was fully his man at 1:40 hammering the one timer home while Newhook was in outer space. 

#19 Krebs only time I saw him was when he crashed into Newhook @ 2:20

Anyone have a link for streaming full u18 games?

Edited by hammertime
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Newhook is #15 I know its Belarus but that's pretty slick. Made a kid throw his stick at the ref in frustration on the last one after he danced through everyone 3 on 3. Though that was fully his man at 1:40 hammering the one timer home while Newhook was in outer space. 

#19 Krebs only time I saw him was when he crashed into Newhook @ 2:20

Anyone have a link for streaming full u18 games?

Newhook looked Barzal-like on the last 2 goals. Definitely lost on the goal against, not a good look defensively, but he accelerates so quickly. Thanks for posting.

Not sure about the pre-tournament games, but I'm pretty sure you can watch the games in full on TSN.ca/live . Sign-in, put in your service provider + account, then find it in games on demand at the bottom.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Well, I think they're going to get Boeser at a reasonable hit, and we still don't know where Petey and Hughes are going to go, their next contracts might be reasonable too, making it easier to absorb a UFA cap hit

I think so. Unless Petey goes ahead and scores 100 pts in the next two seasons I can't see him making more than 10M? Boeser I'm expecting anywhere between 7-7.5M. Hughes, anyone's guess right now...probably around 6-7 if he reaches 50 pts? Mind you this is at todays rate. I fully expect the cap...and player's salaries to jump significantly in next year or so. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Newhook Pettersson Boeser 

I really want this kid he's so unbelievably fast. None of the other prospects in our range get me out of my seat the way he does. I like Boldy he's a great complementary player and will make any line he's on better. I like Sieder feel he's underrated and under-scouted. He's BIG nasty and fast and has a diverse arsenal of shots. I like Lavoi he's got the markings of that big game PWF the Canucks haven't had since the Sedins were in diapers. But nobody get's me outa my seat like Newhook. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

I think so. Unless Petey goes ahead and scores 100 pts in the next two seasons I can't see him making more than 10M? Boeser I'm expecting anywhere between 7-7.5M. Hughes, anyone's guess right now...probably around 6-7 if he reaches 50 pts? Mind you this is at todays rate. I fully expect the cap...and player's salaries to jump significantly in next year or so. 

I think you’re right.  Signing Panarin still allows for the rest of the core to be signed.  Having that skill injected along with a new pick and we’re in great shape.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

That has a nice look to it.  Then attack them with:

Pearson Horvat Ferland  

makes a nice combo once Newhook is ready.

Imagine having the speed of Newhook and Hughes on the PP I think teams might get dizzy and pass out.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I really want this kid he's so unbelievably fast. None of the other prospects in our range get me out of my seat the way he does. I like Boldy he's a great complementary player and will make any line he's on better. I like Sieder feel he's underrated and under-scouted. He's BIG nasty and fast and has a diverse arsenal of shots. I like Lavoi he's got the markings of that big game PWF the Canucks haven't had since the Sedins were in diapers. But nobody get's me outa my seat like Newhook. 

I like the players you mentioned besides Boldy. I’ve gone back and forth on this guy. He produces great numbers in a good development league but when I watch him play it doesn’t look like it’s all gonna translate to the NHL.

Newhook and Lavoie look like they have a game that can translate to the bigs and have good stats. I’d prefer Lavoie though as he is big, fast, and skilled. These players are a premium in this league.

I look at the Tampa bay series and their smaller skilled players are getting out worked by bigger but still fast players. That’s what I think we need in our top 6!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Would you consider one of; Connolly, Dzingle or Ferland as being suitable for top six deployment? They are all UFA's coming off of pretty good years and JB might be able to sign one of them at a decent price. All were making approx 1.5 to 1.8 mil/yr on their last contracts but will be looking for a decent bump in salary this year

I’m hoping Benning takes a long hard look at Anders Lee and Brock Nelson of the Islanders. They both play LW, both put up consistent numbers, are a good age (28 and 27 respectively), and both have very big bodies. I feel either one of these guys would be a great fit for us. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I’m hoping Benning takes a long hard look at Anders Lee and Brock Nelson of the Islanders. They both play LW, both put up consistent numbers, are a good age (28 and 27 respectively), and both have very big bodies. I feel either one of these guys would be a great fit for us. 

Either Anders lee or Brock Nelson could be players that might fit but I worry a bit on how much the Canucks might have to pay in order to sign one of them. My guess is that both will be looking for at minimum; 6+ mil and 4+ years on their next contracts and with the bidding war that goes with free agency; they are likely to get at least that and possibly more.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Either Anders lee or Brock Nelson could be players that might fit but I worry a bit on how much the Canucks might have to pay in order to sign one of them. My guess is that both will be looking for at minimum; 6+ mil and 4+ years on their next contracts and with the bidding war that goes with free agency; they are likely to get at least that and possibly more.

The market is flooded with potential top 6 lw

Panarin

Skinner 

Johanssen

Nelson

Hagelin

Lee

Ferland

Its a buyers market for sure so i doubt all of these players will command a bidding war.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I think the Isles will be able to keep most, if not all, their free agents.  

10 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I like the players you mentioned besides Boldy. I’ve gone back and forth on this guy. He produces great numbers in a good development league but when I watch him play it doesn’t look like it’s all gonna translate to the NHL.

Newhook and Lavoie look like they have a game that can translate to the bigs and have good stats. I’d prefer Lavoie though as he is big, fast, and skilled. These players are a premium in this league.

I look at the Tampa bay series and their smaller skilled players are getting out worked by bigger but still fast players. That’s what I think we need in our top 6!

Interesting take on Boldy because a lot of scouts say and think he has one of the most nhl transferable skill sets in the draft. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think the Isles will be able to keep most, if not all, their free agents.  

If they have a nice little run and all enjoy what’s happening there and like the city and playing for Trotz ya could see that too.

crazy never thought they’d have such a great season..

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

Im starting to come around on Newhook. Its always hard to evaluate the BCHL guys, but if he continues playing this well at u18s he'll be right there with Krebs/Zegras/Caufield for me. 

Central scouting just released their rankings, few interesting things on there.

North America

1 HUGHES, JACK USA U-18 NTDP 14-May-2001 5' 10.25" 170 lbs * C L 43 25 67 92 20

2 BYRAM, BOWEN VANCOUVER WHL 13-Jun-2001 6' 0.25" 193 lbs * D L 67 26 45 71 80

3 DACH, KIRBY SASKATOON WHL 21-Jan-2001 6' 3.5" 197 lbs * C R 62 25 48 73 40

4 TURCOTTE, ALEX USA U-18 NTDP 26-Feb-2001 5' 11.25" 185 lbs * C L 30 23 30 53 18

5 COZENS, DYLAN LETHBRIDGE WHL 09-Feb-2001 6' 2.75" 180 lbs * C R 68 34 50 84 30

6 ZEGRAS, TREVOR USA U-18 NTDP 20-Mar-2001 6' 0.25" 169 lbs * C L 55 26 52 78 92

7 KALIYEV, ARTHUR HAMILTON OHL 26-Jun-2001 6' 1.75" 190 lbs * RW L 67 51 51 102 22

8 CAUFIELD, COLE USA U-18 NTDP 02-Jan-2001 5' 6.75" 162 lbs * RW R 57 58 24 82 35

9 BOLDY, MATTHEW USA U-18 NTDP 05-Apr-2001 6' 1.5" 192 lbs * LW L 57 30 39 69 28

10 KREBS, PEYTON KOOTENAY WHL 26-Jan-2001 5' 11.25" 180 lbs * C L 64 19 49 68 63

Europe

1 1 KAKKO, KAAPO 6' 2" 194 RIGHT WING TPS FINLAND
2 2 PODKOLZIN, VASILY 6' 1" 190 RIGHT WING NEVA ST. PETERSBURG RUSSIA-2
3 5 SODERSTROM, VICTOR 5' 11" 179 DEFENSEMAN BRYNAS SWEDEN
4 7 HEINOLA, VILLE 5' 11" 178 DEFENSEMAN LUKKO FINLAND
5 3 BROBERG, PHILIP 6' 3" 199 DEFENSEMAN AIK SWEDEN-2
6 6 SEIDER, MORITZ 6' 4" 183 DEFENSEMAN MANNHEIM GERMANY
7 8 BJORNFOT, TOBIAS 6' 0" 202 DEFENSEMAN DJURGARDEN JR. SWEDEN-JR.
8 11 MISYUL, DANIL 6' 3" 176 DEFENSEMAN YAROSLAVL 2 RUSSIA-JR.
9 4 NIKOLAEV, ILYA 6' 0" 190 CENTER YAROSLAVL 2 RUSSIA-JR.
10 9 KOKKONEN, MIKKO 5' 11" 198 DEFENSEMAN JUKURIT FINLAND

Was fairly surprised to see that Kaliyev was ranked that high, talent is there but i have read a lot of concerns about his work ethic. He's not a player that i really want for the Canucks. We would likely stick him in Utica and never give him a shot because of his defensive play. For us I think I like players in this order

Trevor Zegras: Don't see this guy falling to us but I think his skill level makes him the BPA, would love to see this guy on the wing with Pettersson and Boeser. That line would terrorize the league for years to come.

Peyton Krebs: Honestly probably ahead of the next 2 because he is Canadian, want to see this guy captain Canada to gold in the Juniors. Also really like his speed and he is apparently the hardest working player in this draft. I think this guy is the ideal counterpart to play beside Horvat, those two would fight tooth and nail for us every night.

Cole Caufield: Been going back and forth between Krebs, Caufield and Boldy. Changes daily it seems, best goal scorer beats out Boldy this time. Caufield seems to steal the show in every NTDP player highlight reel that i watch. I would have this guy ranked higher but i think he plays a similar style to Boeser and I'm not positive where he would fit on our PP in the future.

Matthew Boldy: Like hearing about his hockey IQ, apparently very versatile offensively. Dont love his skating and I do worry a little that his production might have been inflated playing on that historically good NTDP Squad. Setting aside that I do think he can improve his skating and his offensive creativity would be an asset for us.

Victor Soderstrom: Including him here because I see us going this direction, I'm not opposed to it as i like a lot of the two way lay this guy brings to the table. I don't dislike this pick but he won't be playing or us for at least 3 years... Call me impatient but i would like to see any of the above players in our lineup likely in the next couple years.

• Thanks 1