The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I thought that was pretty obvious to everyone that MT was the most NHL ready player and whose size and scoring filled a need too up front.

Hopefully we get a shot at Kakko for the proverbial second chance. btw this is why I avoid OJ's thread. the pain. lol

Ya it's a bit of a struggle. Lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Mantha was alot better goal scorer. He was a goal scoring machine in the Q. Lavoie doesnt have as good a shot as Mantha.

Mantha doesn’t really have an elite shot though and I would say Lavoie is more versatile at scoring than Mantha was at junior. Mantha also had a stronger supporting cast than what Lavoie had/has.

Here is what some scouts had to say about Lavoie shot.

Lavoie is a natural sniper. He has an excellent shot and quick release. Lavoie is also good at getting to the front of the net where he has the soft hands and good hand-eye coordination to finish in close to the net with rebounds and tip-ins. He has good stickhandling ability and protects the puck well.

Lavoie possesses a heavy wrist shot with a quick release that he can let loose from either foot while at top speed. This skill has been highly effective at camouflaging his shot timing, keeping opposing goaltenders confused and forcing them to react as opposed to reading the play, making him a more effective shooter.

He owns an excellent shot, both for its quick release and also for its velocity

Edited by shiznak

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Not saying he wasnt, I wanted juolevi too. My point is that Tkachuk was BPA.

Yeah, but so was Nichushkin. (was widely regarded as the BPA)

Point is,  there's hits, and there are misses. 

And, we ended up picking our Captain. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Sure we know that now but at the time that wasn’t the concensus and clearly they made a mistake wth their rankings.

38 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Mantha doesn’t really have an elite shot though and I would say Lavoie is more versatile at scoring than Mantha was at junior. Mantha also had a stronger supporting cast than what Lavoie had/has.

Here is what some scouts had to say about Lavoie shot.

Good & heavy shot yes. Nothing there about deadly accuracy. I've watched a few Halifax games & the prospects game too. Plus whatever highlights are out there & I haven't seen deadly accuracy. His shot has the velocity to power through or past goalies in the junior but not the same accuracy Mantha had.

And I disagree about Mantha. He had a wicked shot. Maybe its not elite in the NHL compared to the absolute top guys (Ovie, Tarasenko, exc) but in junior it was elite. He scored 50 goals in his draft year & played on a Val D'or team that actually finished with 26 less points than Halifax this year. 

Arthur Kaliyev is more like Mantha IMO. In fact he might be the first CHL player since Mantha to score 50 in his draft year. Unless I'm forgetting about someone.  

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Good & heavy shot yes. Nothing there about deadly accuracy. I've watched a few Halifax games & the prospects game too. Plus whatever highlights are out there & I haven't seen deadly accuracy. His shot has the velocity to power through or past goalies in the junior but not the same accuracy Mantha had.

And I disagree about Mantha. He had a wicked shot. Maybe its not elite in the NHL compared to the absolute top guys (Ovie, Tarasenko, exc) but in junior it was elite. He scored 50 goals in his draft year & played on a Val D'or team that actually finished with 26 less points than Halifax this year. 

Arthur Kaliyev is more like Mantha IMO. In fact he might be the first CHL player since Mantha to score 50 in his draft year. Unless I'm forgetting about someone.  

People always seem to forget debrincat scored 51 in his draft year.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, YungWee said:

Lol wat.

For a 1st/2nd overall pick, that’s probably at least how much the bidding’s gonna take. What are you expecting? I’m not saying it’s worth it. It’s obviously not. But there’s a reason these rumors of trades for the top picks never go through - because of the asking price. 

Hughes + 2019 first is probably “fair value.” But it’s gonna take more. I just added Horvat and devalued 2019 into 2020.

You really think OJ + AG + a medium first will get 1st/2nd like said in the original post I responded to?

Edited by Grape
  • Wat 1

33 minutes ago, Grape said:

For a 1st/2nd overall pick, that’s probably at least how much the bidding’s gonna take. What are you expecting? I’m not saying it’s worth it. It’s obviously not. But there’s a reason these rumors of trades for the top picks never go through - because of the asking price. 

Hughes + 2019 first is probably “fair value.” But it’s gonna take more. I just added Horvat and devalued 2019 into 2020.

You really think OJ + AG + a medium first will get 1st/2nd like said in the original post I responded to?

I know what your saying, but Quinn and Bo + a mid 1st in 2020 would be more than enough to get kakko.

Honestly, would you trade quinn for kakko after seeing him these last 5 games. I'm not sure I would. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, YungWee said:

I know what your saying, but Quinn and Bo + a mid 1st in 2020 would be more than enough to get kakko.

Honestly, would you trade quinn for kakko after seeing him these last 5 games. I'm not sure I would. 

I wouldn’t since I have other ties to him. But I think the unbiased NHL fan who has seen both definitely wouldn’t. 

• -AJ- featured this topic
14 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

we have 16% chance to draft in top 3, i still believe defense is the biggest need. Bowen Byram should be targetted if we get in top 3. Hell i would take him 1st overall

Knowing that he's almost certainly dropping to at least 3rd, it would be a poor decision to take him 1st overall. If you're not going to take one of Hughes or Kakko, you trade down to 3rd overall and get something in addition to the 3rd pick so you get Byram and a little extra.

5 hours ago, cyoung said:

But if he was BPA on our teams draft list they would have taken him? So he wasn’t the BPA to our team at the draft table. 

In hindsight currently he was actually the BPA. that could still change down the road 

and in a redraft I’m sure the Oilers take him.

maybe we are just misunderstanding one another haha 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

we have 16% chance to draft in top 3, i still believe defense is the biggest need. Bowen Byram should be targetted if we get in top 3. Hell i would take him 1st overall

Man I’m a huge byram fan but can’t take him over Hughes or Kakko mate you just can’t. 

• Upvote 1

• -AJ- unfeatured this topic
On 4/7/2019 at 6:50 PM, NUCKER67 said:

These players are listed as Cs:

Dach

Turcotte

Zegras

Newhook

Suzuki

Could any of them become wingers for Bo or Elias? Or are they strictly Cs? I've heard Dach played wing.

I’d like Turcotte more than any of these players Petey can also play wing.

Petey/Turcotte Boeser 

would be be a very nice line.  I hope the Canucks don’t avoid drafting a center just because of Petey and Bo