The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

A little comparison of my own:

Broberg - Has size, very fast straight-line skater, likes to rush with the puck up the side boards and take it all the way. Doesn't seem to use his team mates well on the rush.

Kaliyev - Puts in minimal effort, not overly competitive. Has a great shot, but a questionable D-game. Seems to rely on others to put himself in a scoring position. 

Which Canucks players are they compared to? I don't really want either of these players at #10-12 (lol)

Not 100% sure but would think both play in the U18 tourny coming up, should be interesting. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Some people apparently think that BPA is an objective thing, like there is a number stamped on each player's forehead. You just lift up their hair, read the number and, "ok, this guy is an 89.13, so of course we take him ahead of a guy who is only an 89.12".

Yeah. I'm not an objective thing.  I'm a person.  But there is a number on my forehead. 

Lol.

::D

These prospects should be gone by the time the Canucks pick

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Byram

4. Podkozin

5. Dach

6. Cozens

7. Turcotte

Would leave one of Zegras, Boldy, Krebs, Soderstrom Caufield for us even with worst-case scenario of picking 11/12. Soderstrom would be an excellent choice IMO.

• Upvote 1

I like Soderstrom as well. He reminds me of Juolevi, in that he's a smooth excellent skater, plays a responsible game, always in good position. He's also a RD, which the Canucks desperately need. I have Soderstrom over Broberg.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If we can luck out and get one of the top three picks I'd be cheering madly!!!  I'd go for Byram.

the #3 spot is a real tough one. Do we drop down a spot or two for need and pick Byram or go with the best remaining F?

Hey did that bonk on the head give you any special powers or anything? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the #3 spot is a real tough one. Do we drop down a spot or two for need and pick Byram or go with the best remaining F?

Hey did that bonk on the head give you any special powers or anything

I could double for a raccoon!  

I think JB looks at all options, no matter where we pick.  I'm just holding out hope for 1 or 2.  I think Hughes and Kakko will play in the NHL next season, and both play well.  Byram is likely a couple years away. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

The real questions is who do we take with our 3rd overall pick?

That is the toughest pick I think. Seems like an automatic that we would take Byram, but is he the best player at #3? Not a whole lot is known of Podkolzin, but from what I've seen and read, he is an electrifying player with size and speed, and he plays a fierce game. Size, speed, hockey IQ - he's got it all. So, Byram, is he more of a positional need? Is he just being hyped right now because of this team's playoff success? Turcotte could even turn out to be the 3rd best player of this Draft.

I go to a $&!#load of Giants games.   

Personally, with top 3, I stay away from Byram.   

We already have a top prospect dman who plays the rover instead of defence.  

He is caught out of position all the time.  It’s almost funny to watch.  

Go with a forward and draft D in the later rounds.   

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That is the toughest pick I think. Seems like an automatic that we would take Byram, but is he the best player at #3? Not a whole lot is known of Podkolzin, but from what I've seen and read, he is an electrifying player with size and speed, and he plays a fierce game. Size, speed, hockey IQ - he's got it all. So, Byram, is he more of a positional need? Is he just being hyped right now because of this team's playoff success? Turcotte could even turn out to be the 3rd best player of this Draft.

I think Byram is the third best player available, could be a a #1 D in the NHL. Too risky taking a Russian at three. Byram's got 10 points in 8 playoff games and is a +9. No holes in his game and is clutch.   

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Canucks don't have to worry about picks 4-8, as we're out of those. We will get either (just a guess on the players available):

1 - Hughes

2 - Kakko

3 - Byram/Podkolzin

9 - Zegras

10 - Boldy

11 - Caufield

12 - Newhook

Zegras kind of reminds me of Marchand. 

#1 Hughes

#2 Kakko

#3 I'd take Byram, but do think Turcotte is a JB type pick

#9 I could see one of Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Zegras be available.  Take them if they are.

#10/11  Take whoever falls, if anyone.  If nobody falls, I think we take a shot with Caufiled as a forward.  He has scored goals at a crazy pace at evert level he has played at.  If we go D,   I like Broberg.  We will need some size, and he is very mobile.  

24 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Zegras kind of reminds me of Marchand. 

He's got some s***-disturber in him by the looks of it. But I'm not sure he's got the grit to back it up, like Marchand. He's like 155-160 and I find he's not that stable on his skates, gets bumped off the puck a lot.  Got pretty good point totals though. Is that from playing with Hughes? I haven't seen enough of Zegras to know, but this was just my first impression of him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I could double for a raccoon!  

I think JB looks at all options, no matter where we pick.  I'm just holding out hope for 1 or 2.  I think Hughes and Kakko will play in the NHL next season, and both play well.  Byram is likely a couple years away. 

yeah there's probably no defensemen that are going to make the jump for next season.