The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

1. physical presence: has already a NHL frame with 6.4, 200 lbs, plays a physical game, can absorb hits from opponents easily, shuts the door at the walls effectively.

2. excellent skating  : real good skating technique, highly mobile for a 6.4., 200lbs player, real good straight line speed

3. excellent vision :    sees the ice very well

4. passing is another strength: accurate outlet passes on the tape of the teammate, real good first pass to initiate the transition.

5. was recently named rookie of the year in Germany's top league, the DEL,  

6. plays in all situations: on the PP, PK, 5 vs.5

7. real good balance on his skates

8. has played extremely well in the playoffs so far, team has advanced to the national championship final (sweep against the Cologne sharks 4:0)

9. is expected to be NHL ready at the start of the season 2019/2020.

10. only adjustments to be made to play in the NHL is the smaller rink and the faster game.

11. two way defenceman: loves to join the rush

12. several NHL scouts made the way to Germany to watch his game in the playoffs.

I expect that he is going to be ranked in the range # 10-15 once the final draft rankings are published on April 15, 2019. He definitely will rise from the end of the first round to this range because the Scouts have seen him play in the playoffs and have a much better feel for him as a player than they had at the time the mid term rankings were released. 

One OHL GM said about him (can't quote because his statement was translated into German language, so I can only re-translate): Seider can become a better D-Man than Seidenberg and Ehrhoff ,the best German D-Man since many, many years.

Seidenberg played on the top pairing with Chara. This pairing was arguably the best shutdown pairing in the season 2010/2011 when the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup. Both were fundamental in winning the Cup.

Would he be a reach at #10? No, for sure not.

Never seen him play or watched the German league so have no read on the kid at all.

if we took him I’d trust our scouts, especially if it was over a player like Boldy. Cause I’m sure our scouts have a solid ranking on the US players.

I wonder if there's a chance, albeit slim that Podkolzin will drop as far as 10th to the Canucks. I think the reason noone has talked about him is because most of us expect him to go early but I do wonder if the Russian factor and the fact he has made it clear he will stay in the KHL will put teams off. He has done remarkably well in the international tournaments and I think he will get another chance to showcase at the u18 tournament. Either way at this spot do you continue to pass with the "No Russians" mentality or do you try to go for a homering pick. I think at this spot if he was available you would have to pick him.

Edited by TGokou

11 hours ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

with is elite speed and hockey IQ

Not sure about the hockey IQ part. He reminds me of a Virtanen on D. Very fast straight line skater with good size, takes it all the way up the boards and doesn't use his team mates as much. Seems like he likes to do it all himself at times.

Watching the way the Canucks leave Pettersson out to dry (fend for yourself kid), and with Hughes getting bumped around, I have concerns about taking little Cole. Schenn can't protect the whole team. Unless Benning goes out and signs a guy like Ferland.

Ferland - Pettersson - Caufield

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

I'm really hoping Dach or Krebs fall, but if not, Zegras or Boldy might be good choices. If we can't get Byram with the 1st, then I don't want to take a D.

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I thought the only knock on Boldy was his Skating. I know it’s improved, but I wouldn’t call it exceptional. 

What gives me some hope, is last year, at #10, #11 and #12, the picks ended up being Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Dobson. Those are some pretty good players in that range. Maybe a player like Cozens or Krebs or Dach fall to us at #10. I'm hoping that teams ahead of us take some chances. Maybe one team grabs Broberg, maybe another snags Caufield, and then another takes Kaliyev.

Hughes

Kakko

Podkolzin - KHL?

Turcotte

Byram - best D in the draft

Cozens

Caufield - best scorer in the draft

Broberg - could play in 2019/20

Kaliyev - best shot in the draft

VAN - Dach, Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, Newhook, Soderstrom

Suddenly, there are some great options.

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Another thought might be to see if we can trade up to #7 or #8  (we could pick a different caliber of player in this range)

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I think there is zero chance that both fall to + 10. I expect that both are gone at #5. Colorado and L.A.  might be the lucky teams getting real good centre in Dach & Cozens.

I think there's a pretty good chance we could either move up a couple spots or one of Dach, Boldy, Krebs, Zegras, Turcotte, Cozens etc falls/is still available. (Not to mention Soderstrom, Broberg, Newhook, Harley etc) 

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What gives me some hope, is last year, at #10, #11 and #12, the picks ended up being Bouchard, Wahlstrom and Dobson. Those are some pretty good players in that range. Maybe a player like Cozens or Krebs or Dach fall to us at #10. I'm hoping that teams ahead of us take some chances. Maybe one team grabs Broberg, maybe another snags Caufield, and then another takes Kaliyev.

Hughes

Kakko

Podkolzin - KHL?

Turcotte

Byram - best D in the draft

Cozens

Caufield - best scorer in the draft

Broberg - could play in 2019/20

Kaliyev - best shot in the draft

VAN - Dach, Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, Newhook, Soderstrom

Suddenly, there are some great options.

Of that list, I'd gladly take Dobson but funnily enough, there's guys taken mid-teens I'd prefer over the other two (Farabee and Smith the most obvious). It will be interesting to see if Benning and Brackett have another Pettersson-eqsue 'off the board' pick up their sleeves for a guy ranked closer to mid-teens who out plays his pre-draft scouting report ::D

Edited by aGENT

Someone also mentioned Lavoie earlier, and I find that intriguing. He's a big man at 6'4", almost 200 (NHL body), he's a good skater, has a boom of a shot, protects the puck well. He scored 32 goals in 62 games and was a +36 last year. He also managed 20 points in 10 playoff games. He's ranked in the early 20s I believe, but the rankings don't mean a whole lot. Every site seems to have a different opinion.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Someone also mentioned Lavoie earlier, and I find that intriguing. He's a big man at 6'4", almost 200 (NHL body), he's a good skater, has a boom of a shot, protects the puck well. He scored 32 goals in 62 games and was a +36 last year. He also managed 20 points in 10 playoff games. He's ranked in the early 20s I believe, but the rankings don't mean a whole lot. Every site seems to have a different opinion.

He is one of the oldest in this draft class since he only missed last year's cut off by 10 days. 

Skinner - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Newhook

(this looked good to me, but then I realized that Benning will probably be going out and getting a winger (UFA) for Bo this coming season)

Zegras/Boldy - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Donskoi

(I think Benning signs a decent winger, but doesn't over-spend on the high priced guys)

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1

Let's assume that Hughes, Byram, Kakko, Dach, Cozens are likely off the table.  That leaves 1 of Podkolzin, Turcotte, Krebs, Zegras, Soderstrom, Boldy, Caufield, Broberg Kalyiev.  There is going to be a ton of variance on the order of 6-10 depending on who you ask.  We may very well end up with JB's first or second choice.  Based on last year we would have had our choice of Wahlstrom, Dobson, Bouchard.  All of those guys were expected to be gone by 10.  

We will get a very good player at 10.  I also think this pushes them to be more active through UFA and the trade market.

given track record, philosophy and draft position, I bet benning goes to europe or ushl/college. at 10, the player you're likely to get is going to be in that range of not quite ready for the nhl, but good enough that you don't want to be restricted by the chl/ahl agreement. 

unless a bigger name drops, given the weight benning puts on goal scoring, I bet he goes with caufield. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tas said:

given track record, philosophy and draft position, I bet benning goes to europe or ushl/college. at 10, the player you're likely to get is going to be in that range of not quite ready for the nhl, but good enough that you don't want to be restricted by the chl/ahl agreement. 

unless a bigger name drops, given the weight benning puts on goal scoring, I bet he goes with caufield. 

I'd wager Boldy, Zegras or Soderstrom under that theory.

Be pretty funny if we draft Knight and move Demko :ph34r::lol:

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I also think this pushes them to be more active through UFA and the trade market.

I agree. I think Benning was really disappointed in the lottery, which would've changed the organization. Now, he'll need to be creative, get rid of some contracts, and maybe he'll want to upgrade the roster by free agency. They can't go into next season with the same team. And it's doubtful our #10 pick starts next season. I am hoping that they bring in a solid top player for Bo's line. He's had to play with scraps basically, many different line combinations, he never complains and still finds a way to produce. I hope they reward Bo with a good line mate. 

Eberle would be pricey, but good and fun to watch. 

As far as the D, I think Benning signs 1 decent Dman (but not a top player), but they'll also re-sign Edler and Schenn and maybe Juolevi makes the jump. Might re-sign Rafferty too. Kind of hoping Tanev gets traded. It's so disheartening every year watching him go down with a long term injury.

Edler - Stralman

Hutton - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn

Juolevi - Rafferty

A lot still TBD before I start thinking about making a list of targets for #10, but at the moment, I’m actually leaning toward trying to trade the #10 and move down a few spots, add a pick, and then maybe combine that pick with our #40 to grab another late first. Draft twice in the back half of the first round, where I think there’s still really good value this year, and will likely yield better results than we’d see keeping 10 and 40.

• Like 1