8. A. Turcotte [EDM]

9. M. Boldy [ANA]

10. P. Krebs [VAN] <OR V. Soderstrom → trade down>

11. C. Caufield [PHI] <OR P. Krebs>

12. V. Soderstrom [MIN] <OR P. Krebs, C. Caufield>

13. P. Broberg [FLA]

14. A. Kaliyev [ARI]

15. A. Newhook [MTL]

No Lavoie in the top 15? He’s the guy I want at 10. Gonna be a steal. 6’4, good skater, good hockey IQ, goes to the net. A power play with him in front of the net would be deadly.

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

Severson is a top 4 defenseman for sure and he would definitely make the deal more sweeter, but I'm not exactly convinced I'd want to trade Hughes. Also, I don't think it'd make sense to right now as well, considering how extremely high we are about him.

Anytime you can get a sure fire player who still hasn’t reached his prime years. I’d say you go for it. It will be tough to lose Hughes. He looked alright in these last few games, but his potential is still relatively unknown. 

Severson isn’t some sort of “consolation” piece. He’s a legit top 2-4 defensemen. It’s unlikely he’ll ever be as good as Hughes, if Hughes reaches his potential, but like I said he did put up 39 points with the Devils, with the lowest offensive zone start time on the team, and without Taylor Hall for most of the season.

Imagine Severson on this team with Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, etc feeding him pucks on the PP. 45+ points for him isn’t a reach, with this team.

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2019 at 11:40 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

Maybe look at trading the pick now that we are 10th.

What if the Jets were to make Jacob Trouba available

Doubt they would, but getting a younger proven d man at this point would be a huge win for this club.  JB has been open to this before... then the CBJ had to go off the board.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

My concern about Boldy is Boston College. Wahlstrom really struggled there this year, well maybe didn’t struggle but his year was lackluster.

looking at how farabee excelled at Boston Uni makes me wonder was it the program or was it personal for Wahlstrom.

but they do have a good group of rookies coming in, including Newhook and Goalie Knight.

it would suck to draft Boldy at 10 and Newhook goes at like 12 or something and if he directly outperforms Boldy..

15 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Others posts mention moving up a couple spots which is....stupid. I was gonna suger coat it but why bother.

Depending on where Benning hears Boldy's going/if he thinks he'd dropped to us, I'd be perfectly fine if he thinks moving up 2'ish spots lands him vs not landing him...if the price isn't too out to lunch.

Not that some of the other options at 10 won't also be solid picks but I think Boldy's a damn good player and fit.

So no, not stupid.

Edited by aGENT

7 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Does anyone here think that Jack Hughes is going to be a bust? Like he will be in the NHL but as a third line winger. 

I think it's possible he's a bust as a first or second overall.  He'll be a good NHL'er, at least, though

7 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Does anyone here think that Jack Hughes is going to be a bust? Like he will be in the NHL but as a third line winger. 

He's a top 6 or bust type of guy IMO. I think he will be a top 6 forward for sure, but he may not achieve that elite status. I think he's become a "brand name", but there are guys in the draft that aren't far off from him in the top 7 or 8. Basically I feel like he will be a Nico Hischier type of player who I would not be upset using a 1st overall pick as he would be a surefire NHLer, but there could be EP potential somewhere else in the draft.

9 hours ago, runtzguy said:

He is 17 years old he can skate just like his brother Quinn. As he develops he is going to get even better. Do I think he is going to be a bust. Definetly no in my opinion.

Anybody wondering if Detroit will trade down and draft a goalie, specifically Spencer Knight? Sportsnet had him ranked 19 in March. I say this mostly on the chance that Byram is gone before their pick. If Byram is on the board at 6 there's no way Detroit passes on him. But if he's gone I think they'd be better served trading down, getting a goalie and another pick. Although never hurts to have more centers. One of Turcotte, Zegras or Dach should be available at 6.

Just looking at the top 10 teams and wondering who is most likely to trade down. For funsies.

I hope he's a bust for 3 years and then NJ gives up on him, then sending Jack to Vancouver for future considerations. He will then turn into the player a 1st overall pick is supposed to be and go on to score 100 plus points a year over the next decade all the while bringing home multiple championships to Vancity

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, shiznak said:

Severson is already an established NHL player. A right handed defensemen, who logs over 20 minutes a game, plays in all situations, and can score 39 points, with the lowest offensive zone start time on his team. 

He’s pretty much Tanev with better offensive instincts and can play physical.

Ty Smith is no slouch of a prospect as well, who can very well be better than Hughes.

I agree that the value is there, but I'd still rather have Hughes.  We've never had a defenseman with his talent and potential, ever.  It would have to start with Nico H and probably Smith for me to consider it.  I doubt there is a reasonable deal from either since to unite the Hughes brothers.

The player must have:

Skating (speed)

Hockey IQ

Elite Passer / Shooter

D-game

I'm not sure how fast Boldy is, but I believe skating is a weakness he needs to work on. I've also watched video of Zegras, and I find he's not very strong on his skates, gets bumped around and loses his balance. Kaliyev seems like he uses his energy when it suits him.

I don't believe Broberg has a high hockey IQ, as when I watched his video, he tends to pull a Virtanen and skates the puck up ice himself, then not really knowing what to do from there. He doesn't use his team mates well, from what I've seen.

Newhook will be a very good player I think, but I understand he needs to work on his D-game. Kaliyev also needs to work on his D-game.

Any one of these guys:

(probably won't get any of these guys)

Hughes

Kakko

Podkolzin

Turcotte

Cozens

Dach

Byram

Krebs

Caufield

Soderstrom

Suzuki

Lavoie

Seider

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The player must have:

Skating (speed)

Hockey IQ

Elite Passer / Shooter

D-game

I'm not sure how fast Boldy is, but I believe skating is a weakness he needs to work on.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/09/matthew-boldy-scouting-report/

Skating

Boldy has a powerful skating stride. He can fight through checks and get to the front of the net. Boldy has very good balance and is tough to knock off the puck. This helps him in battles on the boards as well. He also has very good agility and edgework. His quick changes of direction often cause issues for defenders. He uses this skating ability to get away from defenders and create open space both with and without the puck. Boldy’s speed and acceleration are good but not great. He is smart enough and moves well enough to keep up with the play, even with the outstanding speed of some of his faster teammates, but doesn’t match them step for step.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He is smart enough and moves well enough to keep up with the play, even with the outstanding speed of some of his faster teammates, but doesn’t match them step for step.

Boldy - he's not a terrible skater or anything, by any means, but he could use some work here.