The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

18 hours ago, hammertime said:

Draft prediction.

NJ Kakko they already got their lil speedster. Having Nico and Hughes I don't think makes a ton of sense 

NY Hughes cuz duh!
Chi Dach Massive playoff performing C is a huge need especially with Towes starting to wear down and their lack of C depth. I think they go back to the trough after drafting Wize last year

Avs Turcotte I think they go safe with this pick and swing for the fences with their next. Turcotte is practically a lock NHL 2C

LA Cozens because its LA everything about this kid screams LA to me

Det Byram Because Detroit is good at drafting and they need D

Buff Podkolzin they luck out huge with this 

Oil Soderstrom he's what they need. Finding wingers who want to play with MCD should be easy.

Ana Lavoi I think they reach for him because he's probably the most NHL ready of anyone left. I don't think they are ready to go full rebuild yet. Though they should.

Which leaves the Canucks to pick from Zegras, Krebs, Boldy, Newhook, Caufield, Sieder. Honestly I'd be happy with any of them @10, however, I wouldn't expect any of them to be NHL ready for at least 2 years. 

I think JB will be fist pumping like last year if they can take Zegras at 10.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The good news is: Horvat was able to improve his skating, so I'm sure Boldy can as well.

His skating is pretty much well above good - to great in everything but acceleration and outright top speed which are 'only' good. For a guy who's not a small 160-170lb waterbug, his skating is very, VERY good.

But yes, by all means, I'm sure he'll continue to improve it...

I believe speed could be the #1 thing. Slow players aren't staying in the league, it's just too fast now. Speed isn't everything though, because a player could go nowhere fast if their brain isn't wired right. I think Hockey IQ is the #2 thing. Smart, fast players.

Krebs

Newhook

Zegras

Caufield

Suzuki

and my real darkhorse - Pellettier (I hope he falls to us with our 2nd)

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I believe speed could be the #1 thing. Slow players aren't staying in the league, it's just too fast now. Speed isn't everything though, because a player could go nowhere fast if their brain isn't wired right. I think Hockey IQ is the #2 thing. Smart, fast players.

Krebs

Newhook

Zegras

Caufield

Suzuki

and my real darkhorse - Pellettier (I hope he falls to us with our 2nd)

But Boldy isnt slow. His IQ & pro-style game are seperating attributes 

Wouldnt consider Suzuki at 10 tbh. Hes more of a project.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

My concern about Boldy is Boston College. Wahlstrom really struggled there this year, well maybe didn’t struggle but his year was lackluster.

looking at how farabee excelled at Boston Uni makes me wonder was it the program or was it personal for Wahlstrom.

but they do have a good group of rookies coming in, including Newhook and Goalie Knight.

it would suck to draft Boldy at 10 and Newhook goes at like 12 or something and if he directly outperforms Boldy..

I am not sold on Boldy.  His skating is a concern.  He has a great shot and IQ.  I am all for Zegras, Turcotte, Krebs Cozens or Dach.  Caufield is a gamer, but his size is a concern.  Is he a Schoeder or a Marner?  

I don't think Broberg or Soder are as good as last years top d men and Morietz is too much of an unknown playing in a lower league to gamble our first on him.  

That's my take.  

• Like 1

For lower rounds, Nick Robertson, Ryan Siedem, Cole Moberg, Case McCarthy, and Michael Gildon could pan out. These are guys that have the smarts and the drive but haven't exactly produced yet. Individual skills can be taught, like the small things. Judging off what I've seen from them, Siedem in-particular, they could be late bloomers.

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He's a top 6 or bust type of guy IMO. I think he will be a top 6 forward for sure, but he may not achieve that elite status. I think he's become a "brand name", but there are guys in the draft that aren't far off from him in the top 7 or 8. Basically I feel like he will be a Nico Hischier type of player who I would not be upset using a 1st overall pick as he would be a surefire NHLer, but there could be EP potential somewhere else in the draft.

The Nico Hischier comparison is spot on. I was thinking the same thing. Like decent player but not top line player.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I think it's possible he's a bust as a first or second overall.  He'll be a good NHL'er, at least, though

I dont think there is a chance, not with the Hughes work ethic. Hearing their dad talk about them competing in an interview, it would take a major injury.  

I think certain players are just built for the NHL. Players who are currently playing against men have an advantage. Looks at Pettersson, playing in a men's league, he was able to translate his game seamlessly. This is a reason why Soderstrom and Seider (and even Broberg to some extent) intrigues me. And another reason why Caufield concerns me. He was having a field day playing with Team Hughes last season, playing against other kids, but I don't feel confident he'll kick down the door and be the next Gaudreau or Debrincat when he gets to the NHL (or if). The combine should be interesting.  

The top of the draft can be a strange animal. I'm of course looking for a silver lining after another lottery draft shaft. Over the years some players go at early because they are closer to NHL ready rather than having a higher ceiling. Nolan Patrick over Petey is a  classic example. The lure of injecting a player into the lineup quickly can blind some GM's whose jobs may not be that solidified. 

Hoping for Blake Murray in the 2nd round. Decent size and speed for a center, with a lethal and accurate shot.

Pre-season ranking he was a top 15 prospect, but after an underwhelming season, he fell out of the top 30. 

13 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Completely sold on Soderstrom.

Defensively responsible, physically engaged at all times, and possesses the skillset to complement our fast, talented forwards. Not to mention he fills an organization need.

Just watched a bunch of highlights on him. Looks solid at both ends. Especially on the PP. and that is where we need help on. I can’t count how many games the last 4-5 years where the PP lost us valuable points by firing blanks. We had a top PP from 08-11 and won a ton a games. Soderstrom looks like the real deal. 

45 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Just watched a bunch of highlights on him. Looks solid at both ends. Especially on the PP. and that is where we need help on. I can’t count how many games the last 4-5 years where the PP lost us valuable points by firing blanks. We had a top PP from 08-11 and won a ton a games. Soderstrom looks like the real deal. 

Yep Im a big Soderstrom fan. Looks like the exact piece we need moving forward. Imagine a power play with Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes and Soderstrom on it. Would be downright lethal.

Draft Soderstrom, we need a guy like this and a RD is far more valuable then a winger.