The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

7 minutes ago, Grape said:

I don't think a line of Boldy Pettersson and Boeser would have enough of a dynamic element. They all have high IQ, but none of them are fast, and one of their main qualities is that they all have really good shots. Not enough variety for a top line IMO.

Aw snap you're right. Low IQ would make that line more dynamic.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I don’t think so, I think Wahlstrom is a good prospect still. He looked good at world jrs to me and not out of place in the AHL. He quit the college program because it wasn’t a fit, is numbers weren’t horrible just not great. And I’m guessing he had issues with coaching or staff there or just maybe the teams system. Regardless i am concerned about BC. 

Spencer Knight is looking really good.

ya me too! For Newhook, I want to watch him and Krebs closest at U18. I hope he doesn’t get cut, he hopefully learned from last camp and is coming in after a beast year very confident and ready to compete.

if he looks on the same level as Krebs and Cozens it plays stronger then him it’s not out of the question to think we’d take him at 10. His skating is top notch as well.

Can’t wait to see what Krebs does and good to see he’s captain.

Gives them a good opportunity to showcase themselves when prospects like Lavoie and Dach are having solid post boosting their draft stock late.  

Boston College has had alot of NHLers go through there recently. Colin White, Hanifin, Gaudreau, Hayes, Tuch, exc. I wasn't as big on Wahlstrom last year personally, agree to disagree on Wall-e / BC.

Yeah I really want to see how Newhook compares, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I see him as next tier after our pick, but this tournament will be a good time to assess these guys head to head. 

Excited to see other prospects too including Krebs for Canada. Then Soderstrom/Broberg & of course the USNTDP guys. 

Why is Krebs ranked so high? Genuinely curious. 

I haven't seen him live so I'm forced to get a sense of what he's like from what little youtube content I can find.

His skating and hands seem fairly average. I like his vision, he can see the ice well. He has a nice shot and is good at putting himself in the right position in the offensive zone. 

Other than that he doesn't blow me away. Anyone have any opinions on this kid?

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Has Zegras always worn #11? That is a bad # in Canuckland, I wouldn't be adverse to trading the 10th pick for the right type of player

The other number he wears is #52

As of right now, Trevor Zegras is seeming like my favourite choice.

Trevor Zegras is an elite two-way forward that can play both wing and center. His pro-level mobility is the foundation of his game, supplementing an in-transition speed that shifts the pace of play. He knows how to get under the skin of opponents and will actively seek out opportunities to lay the body and create separation, all the while staying attentive to the unfolding play. This unique aspect of his game makes him difficult and frustrating to play against. His ability to finish and create plays is undoubtedly the hallmark of his game, as he is one of the major dynamos of his draft class. He is a dangerous scoring threat anywhere below the blue line and his vision matched with his net-drive propels him into positions that create high percentage opportunities. Defensively astute and proactive, he sees the lanes that his opponents do and will do his best to force the puck along the wall where he is at his best. All-in-all, Zegras is one of those special buzzsaw-type players that can excel in key roles and perform under pressure. (Curtis Joe, EP 2019)

His 6'0 168lbs frame isn't gonna be a huge problem, he plays a more robust game than most light weighted players.

Another reason why I love this guy is cause he plays like a piece of $&!# (92 PIMS at the USDP this season) We can definitely use one in our line-up, we've got a very friendly "welcome to punch me in the face" type players in our top 6, we need more of that element of grit/pushback and Zegras has that. 

Edited by Odd.

Draft is a funny thing in hindsight. Jack Hughes has been regarded as a franchise player for years, and while I believe he’ll have a good career his ceiling is pretty much unknown. 

When we drafted EP he was more or less unknown and lots of people were upset (we missed out on on Cody Glass damn it!). 

Today - not many people would consider trading EP for this year’s first...

29 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Zegras is gone by 10 boys.   Stay on topic with Boldy, Krebs range.  

Unless.....

the Canucks have something right up their sleeves.....

Boldy is ranked higher on all mock drafts than Zegras.

IMO it's far easier to group these guys because I am seriously confused as to who's BPA and who's not, they are all so similar even in points and scouting reports.

Jack Hughes

Kappo Kakko

Bowen Byram

Dylan Cozens

Kirby Dach

Alex Turcotte

Vasili Podkolzin 

Cole Caufield

Matthew Boldy

Trevor Zegras

Peyton Krebs

Alex Newhook

Phillip Broberg

Ryan Suzuki

Moritz Seider

Victor Soderstrom

Cam York 

Thomas Harley

Based on team needs and considering BPA

Caufield (Winger)

Zegras (LW/C)

Boldy (LW)

Krebs (LW)

Everyone's on topic until the minute the pick is called

Edited by Odd.

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Boston College has had alot of NHLers go through there recently. Colin White, Hanifin, Gaudreau, Hayes, Tuch, exc. I wasn't as big on Wahlstrom last year personally, agree to disagree on Wall-e / BC.

Yeah I really want to see how Newhook compares, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I see him as next tier after our pick, but this tournament will be a good time to assess these guys head to head. 

Excited to see other prospects too including Krebs for Canada. Then Soderstrom/Broberg & of course the USNTDP guys. 

Yeaaa I’m not trashing the program or the history of BC I’m just wondering what happened with Wahlstrom there.

Maybe it was just not the right fit for him. And I hope there’s nothing weird going on there behind closed doors.

Cause he’s not going back and word was he wanted to exit very early in the season but played it out. So maybe it was an isolated case.

Im biased because going into the draft Wahlstrom was one of my favorite forwards and I still think he will succeed. We will see how he does next year! 

Yeaaa exactly will be good to see! 

Im expecting Krebs to be a monster though. He will get decent linemates,massive upgrade over his current squad and he’ll get to play against his peers. 

The dmen I’m curious to see as well! 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

IMO it's far easier to group these guys because I am seriously confused as to who's BPA and who's not, they are all so similar even in points and scouting reports.

Jack Hughes

Kappo Kakko

Bowen Byram

Dylan Cozens

Kirby Dach

Alex Turcotte

Vasili Podkolzin 

Cole Caufield

Matthew Boldy

Trevor Zegras

Peyton Krebs

Alex Newhook

Phillip Broberg

Ryan Suzuki

Moritz Seider

Victor Soderstrom

Cam York 

Thomas Harley

Based on team needs and considering BPA

Caufield (Winger)

Zegras (LW/C)

Boldy (LW)

Krebs (LW)

Everyone's on topic until the minute the pick is called

On all Mock Drafts?

There are lots of mocks with zegras going before Boldy? And in most drafts they are very close to one another in rankings.

i agree about groupings for us trying to rank, this is like last year it was really hard to rank guys. 

This years even even more difficult with so many wild cards:

Podkolzin - Russian factor and league played in

caufield - size 

newhook - league played in, camp Canada cut for lack of compete 

kaliyev - one dimensional and a passenger 

broberg - hlinka then lack luster regular season

Soderstrom - how high is the ceiling?

seider - know nothing

york - size 

harley - sometimes forget he’s a defencemen

i find these guys above very hard to rank.

Edited by R3aL
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Grape said:

I understand the need of filling a RHD, however I don’t think the draft is the place to do it. Defensemen usually take a bit to develop (unless they’re of the Dahlin or Hughes mold), and by the time they do, we don’t know what our RHD situation will look like.

Thats why IMO you gotta go BPA

Fax

4 hours ago, Grape said:

I don't think a line of Boldy Pettersson and Boeser would have enough of a dynamic element. They all have high IQ, but none of them are fast, and one of their main qualities is that they all have really good shots. Not enough variety for a top line IMO.

Hmm you know Petey is a pretty fast skater right?

Like he fit right in at the nhl all star speed contest.

Did he look slow to you this season? 

Boeser isnt a burner but speed  is not an issue, and IQ makes up for speed.

you have a line with  all three linemates having high hockey IQ then you have three guys who read / anticipate and act on plays much quicker than just fast players. 

Thinking the game fast and having the skill to execute on it is more important. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Afraid of what??

I have a feeling that Edmonton sees him as an ideal fit to slot in with either McDavid or Draisaitl in their top-6. The very reason he's the perfect fit for us to play with either one of Pettersson or Horvat.

I want a left-handed Mark Stone in our top-6. Do you? 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Agent

I gave my take.  He doesn't have the speed of other players in his grouping, he isn't a big guy, but decent size with a great shot.   When a winger lacks dynamic speed and plays on a powerhouse line I am less inclined to see him selected in the top 10.

Boldy is a top ten rated pick for alot of reasons.  But speed is a concern, this has been brought up pre draft about some very good NHLers, Bo.and Brock are two that come to mind.  

Are any players in this draft perfect?  No.  Kakko is likely the most complete, him and the big Russian.  Even Hughes has some less than perfect aspects, like size.  Is Hughes a center in the NHL or a winger?  

Lots of guys can overcome this and some even become superstars, EP40 is on track to do just that, but size is was and will still be a concern.  

If Boldy was a center, I would be less concerned.  If JB and Brackett think Boldy is their guy, I wont hesitate to support the pick.  I do believe in their scouting model.  They have been right far more than I have.  

Last year I wanted the hard shooting RHD that is currently destroying the OHL playoffs.  JB and Brackett leapt at the chance to draft Hughes, whom we all though would be gone before 7.  I 100% like that they took the selection and not me.  

I will be following the d men from last year.  Just to see if my take was not that far off.  I still think Bouchard will be that hard shooting RHD that we have needed for a long time.  You can't draft all the players...

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

He plays a mature, cerebral game that would likely have him not look out of place even if he slotted in next year.

But, it would be in his best interest to test his limits offensively in another league next year while still building his frame.

Hypothetically, where would he have gone in last years draft?  

Other than BB, I dont see the same quality of defender in the top of this years draft.  

What do I know, Button has Broberg going top 5.  

Getting a complete RHD cannot be over looked, but is he a top ten guy or a team need, or both as you suggest.  

Could a trade down accomplish the same goal?  

One scouting report I read, or watched put a premium on his RHD vs his other abilities... I will paraphrase, but the take was that his position is what puts him in the top 15, but if he was a LHD he would be in the lower half of the first round.  

We need RHD, Woo is in the pipeline, but we dont have alot else.  But the need is now.  I like Soderstrom, but have some doubts about his timeline.  

That said, you have been right far more than me.  With this draft I think JB might look to trade vs take a d man.  The only roadblock is that Edmonton is even more desperate than us and their timeline was 3 years ago.  

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

Pretty even, maybe tilted Zegras actually. I like Zegras for his agility and evasiveness with the puck. Very hard to stop. Boldy just makes plays. And there is nothing wrong with that? Mackenzie has Boldy ahead. That is supposed to be a poll of 10 anonymous NHL GM's.

Here is a good list of top sites rankings; http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/