The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

10 hours ago, Stamkos said:

Pettersson isn’t fast... okay buddy. 

10 hours ago, hammertime said:

Aw snap you're right. Low IQ would make that line more dynamic.

Oh c’mon that’s not a dig a Pettersson. You guys really think a line of Boldy Pettersson and Boeser is fast? Find somewhere other than CDC that would think that.

All I’m saying is I prefer to have someone complement EP and Brock’s skills and having Boldy doesn’t do that. A line with high IQ but is not fast isn’t dynamic to me because being dynamic requires a lot of change and difference by definition. 

Low IQ does not make the line more dynamic. More elements to add on the IQ such as speed will make the line more dynamic. And the lack of speed on that proposed line makes the line less dynamic. But of course you gotta be funny and spin it so that it sounds like I prefer low IQ players :lol:

Edited by Grape
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

Hmm you know Petey is a pretty fast skater right?

Like he fit right in at the nhl all star speed contest.

Did he look slow to you this season? 

Boeser isnt a burner but speed  is not an issue, and IQ makes up for speed.

you have a line with  all three linemates having high hockey IQ then you have three guys who read / anticipate and act on plays much quicker than just fast players. 

Thinking the game fast and having the skill to execute on it is more important. 

I replied in a post above this already. Boeser is not fast. Sure for an average NHL player he might be above average but he is not fast. For a top line winger he is not fast. You won’t find anywhere else other than CDC that laughs and gets angry at someone saying Boeser isn’t fast.

I get the Pettersson argument for sure. But the reason he was put in the competition is that he was an all star star more so than he’s fast. I’m sure you remember a lot of people scoffing at the fact that he was in the competition rather than in another more suited for his skills. Again, for a top line center EP might have average speed. Sure he may have looked fast relative to our other players, but a top line center generally does that. That is not fast by any means. Again this is not a dig at EP. It’s just that speed isn’t necessarily his game.

For everything else else you can look at the above post. I do have to say I disagree that IQ is more important than speed, but that’s another conversation.

• Wat 2

I just read about the idea to trade up to the #4 spot that Colorado has. 

Canucks trade 10th overall, Demko, Hutton or Juolevi for the 4th overall selection in 2019 draft.

4th - Canucks draft Bowen Bryam 6'1 192lbs LD 

40th - Canucks draft Kaedan Korczak 6'3 192lbs RD 

3rd round - Canucks draft Drew Helleson 6'2 181lbs RD 

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Canucks trade 10th overall, Demko, Hutton or Juolevi for the 4th overall selection in 2019 draft.

Hmmm. Im oookay ish with it at the draft. Wouldn't do it before in case Chicago takes byram.

• Upvote 2

Boldys skating 'concerns' are being overrated imo.

Ill take IQ & average speed over a guy whos fast & doesnt think the game well like Virtanen.

If you want speed with Pettersson, the speed pick would be Zegras. But I dont think he'd be as good a fit because he plays to the perimeter, doesnt have a great shot & is a pure playmaker. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Byram is a great player, who (IMO) is the second biggest difference maker to Jack Hughes in the draft.  I don't think the Avs would take so little in a trade though.  Avs need young, scoring forwards.  To move up to 4 to get Byram (if he's there at four, which I doubt) would cost our 10th OA + Gaudette + Juiolevi + more.  I really don't think Hutton carries much value in trade.  

12 hours ago, Grape said:

I understand the need of filling a RHD, however I don’t think the draft is the place to do it. Defensemen usually take a bit to develop (unless they’re of the Dahlin or Hughes mold), and by the time they do, we don’t know what our RHD situation will look like.

Thats why IMO you gotta go BPA

I agree go BPA but if it is Soderstrom he should be ready fairly quick, he is already playing big minutes in the SHL. In 2 years, I can see him in the NHL.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Byram is a great player, who (IMO) is the second biggest difference maker to Jack Hughes in the draft.  I don't think the Avs would take so little in a trade though.  Avs need young, scoring forwards.  To move up to 4 to get Byram (if he's there at four, which I doubt) would cost our 10th OA + Gaudette + Juiolevi + more.  I really don't think Hutton carries much value in trade.  

Your missing Kakko, he scored the world junior gold medal winning goal at the age of 17th. I'd say he might be a difference maker.

You could make the case he is more of a difference maker than Hughes as he has gold medals at the U18 and U20 tournies and Hughes has silver at both events. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Your missing Kakko, he scored the world junior gold medal winning goal at the age of 17th. I'd say he might be a difference maker.

You could make the case he is more of a difference maker than Hughes as he has gold medals at the U18 and U20 tournies and Hughes has silver at both events. 

Hockey is a team sport 

6 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I have a feeling that Edmonton sees him as an ideal fit to slot in with either McDavid or Draisaitl in their top-6. The very reason he's the perfect fit for us to play with either one of Pettersson or Horvat.

I want a left-handed Mark Stone in our top-6. Do you? 

Haha oh I understand he’s your favorite!! I’m a little indifferent because I really like Krebs and Zegras so feel no matter who we take at 10 I’m probbaly

going to  like them. Just hope they pick the one who will turn out to be the best haha.

but I agree Boldy if he becomes what he can would be the perfect stylistic fit for either line in our top 6!

ans don’t worry whoever Edmonton picks they’ll screw them up :)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

All true, but my scouting also takes into account the player's name.  Kakko just sounds too much like CRAPPO to me!  :shock:

1 hour ago, Grape said:

I replied in a post above this already. Boeser is not fast. Sure for an average NHL player he might be above average but he is not fast. For a top line winger he is not fast. You won’t find anywhere else other than CDC that laughs and gets angry at someone saying Boeser isn’t fast.

I get the Pettersson argument for sure. But the reason he was put in the competition is that he was an all star star more so than he’s fast. I’m sure you remember a lot of people scoffing at the fact that he was in the competition rather than in another more suited for his skills. Again, for a top line center EP might have average speed. Sure he may have looked fast relative to our other players, but a top line center generally does that. That is not fast by any means. Again this is not a dig at EP. It’s just that speed isn’t necessarily his game.

For everything else else you can look at the above post. I do have to say I disagree that IQ is more important than speed, but that’s another conversation.

Did you read my post even? I never said Boeser so I’m not sure why the need for your first paragraph? I agreee and said he’s not a burner but he’s not slow.

as for Petey yea we were surprised but his time was solid.. he’s a fast skater and he’s a rookie. He’s going to get faster too.

to say Petey isn’t a fast skater is crazy to me sorry mate can’t agree with that all. He pulled away from guys all year. Both of our top 6 Centres do not have any issues with speed.

now if you value raw skating speed over elite IQ we will not see eye to eye on this. And we just have different views on the game in general then.

Because I would take a decent skater with elite IQ over a skater with elite speed and decent IQ anyday of the week. 

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Hockey is a team sport 

Both teams were pretty even on paper. Two potential #1 picks with game changing ability going head to head for the gold medal. Kakko got the best of him that time, doesnt mean he is the better player but having guys who are clutch like that doesnt hurt. 

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Agent

I gave my take.  He doesn't have the speed of other players in his grouping, he isn't a big guy, but decent size with a great shot.   When a winger lacks dynamic speed and plays on a powerhouse line I am less inclined to see him selected in the top 10.

Boldy is a top ten rated pick for alot of reasons.  But speed is a concern, this has been brought up pre draft about some very good NHLers, Bo.and Brock are two that come to mind.  

Are any players in this draft perfect?  No.  Kakko is likely the most complete, him and the big Russian.  Even Hughes has some less than perfect aspects, like size.  Is Hughes a center in the NHL or a winger?  

Lots of guys can overcome this and some even become superstars, EP40 is on track to do just that, but size is was and will still be a concern.  

If Boldy was a center, I would be less concerned.  If JB and Brackett think Boldy is their guy, I wont hesitate to support the pick.  I do believe in their scouting model.  They have been right far more than I have.  

Last year I wanted the hard shooting RHD that is currently destroying the OHL playoffs.  JB and Brackett leapt at the chance to draft Hughes, whom we all though would be gone before 7.  I 100% like that they took the selection and not me.  

I will be following the d men from last year.  Just to see if my take was not that far off.  I still think Bouchard will be that hard shooting RHD that we have needed for a long time.  You can't draft all the players...

His skating is less of a question mark in comparison to his peers than Bouchard's was/is... to each their own.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Grape said:

Oh c’mon that’s not a dig a Pettersson. You guys really think a line of Boldy Pettersson and Boeser is fast? Find somewhere other than CDC that would think that.

All I’m saying is I prefer to have someone complement EP and Brock’s skills and having Boldy doesn’t do that. A line with high IQ but is not fast isn’t dynamic to me because being dynamic requires a lot of change and difference by definition. 

Low IQ does not make the line more dynamic. More elements to add on the IQ such as speed will make the line more dynamic. And the lack of speed on that proposed line makes the line less dynamic. But of course you gotta be funny and spin it so that it sounds like I prefer low IQ players :lol:

We just view the game differently, not sure if you play it have ever played hockey either but I’ll say it again skating speed is not everything.

It is important, but I wouldn’t weight it heavier then hockey iq.

thinking fast, reading plays fast, anticipating linemates and opponents actions and positioning naturally or ahead of time are all things a player with high hockey Iq will do. Speed and puck skills allows a player like this execute on their IQ.

so to me a player with above average speed and very highhockey IQ will be an overall better player then someone who’s extremely fast with decent IQ, like a a Jake Virtanen. Kid has all the physical tools probably The fastest skater on the team too but his hockey IQ is not on the same level of a hughes Boeser Petey and it’s very obvious.

I can’t think of a single game where the line of whoever-Petey-Boeser looked slow or not dynamic as well.

i won’t keep messaging about it cause I don’t think I’ll convince you but was worth a try! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think im leaning more toward Krebs than Boldy, even though I would be ok with both. His skating, character, and vision would make him the perfect line mate for Bo or Petey. I believe if he was on a better team this year he wouldnt be in the conversation for 10th overall. He has looked really good at international events and the top prospects game. Havent been this excited for a U18 tourney in a long time, so many good players in it this year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Grape said:

I think the slow high IQ Sedins were one of the most dynamic lines the NHL has ever seen. I also think that when you add Quinn Hughes to that mix you have a group of 5 that can keep teams pinned in their own end while Boldy Hughes Pettersson play catch and Boser hangs out in the Ovi spot. I dont think you can just plug Virtanen in there with the desired results. 

7 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I have a feeling that Edmonton sees him as an ideal fit to slot in with either McDavid or Draisaitl in their top-6. The very reason he's the perfect fit for us to play with either one of Pettersson or Horvat.

I want a left-handed Mark Stone in our top-6. Do you? 

I think Edmonton grabs Soderstrom.