The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

41 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think its a different beast there. Juolevi has 2 more years of ELC left EDM burned all of Poolparties off. He's currently RFA. It's NHL or waiver wire for him at this point. They have no luxury of cooking him like they should have from the start. Juolevi has 2 more years to simmer. 

So......

Image result for youre wrong

Waivers are not even close to making a difference in value. Puljujarvi is good enough to play in the NHL, his confidence was just destroyed in Edmonton. He's not comfortable there. Any team that trades for him would be more than happy to have him on a cheap bridge deal on their NHL roster. 

I guess Virtanen's value was shot last summer because he required waivers? 

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

D also have more value. And Juolevi's issues are more injury/delayed development related, not  play related.

Defensemen do have more value, but Juolevi has arguably had a rockier development given his injuries. Juolevi has 2 knee surgeries and 1 back surgery compared to Puljujarvi's 1 dual hip surgery. Puljujarvi was also taken perceived and taken higher at the draft, even if it was 1 spot. 

13 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Waivers are not even close to making a difference in value. Puljujarvi is good enough to play in the NHL, his confidence was just destroyed in Edmonton. He's not comfortable there. Any team that trades for him would be more than happy to have him on a cheap bridge deal on their NHL roster. 

I guess Virtanen's value was shot last summer because he required waivers? 

Defensemen do have more value, but Juolevi has arguably had a rockier development given his injuries. Juolevi has 2 knee surgeries and 1 back surgery compared to Puljujarvi's 1 dual hip surgery. Puljujarvi was also taken perceived and taken higher at the draft, even if it was 1 spot. 

Any team that trades for him is gonna be looking to take Edmonton to the cleaners. You said it yourself hes not comfortable there and hes comming off dual hip surgery. He can barely tread water in the NHL. Not a chance I'd do Juolvei straight up for him let alone add. There is blood in the water and the sharks are circling. 

Yakupov got a 3rd and a nobody 4th round pick prospect who never played an nhl game.

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He's better/different than Goldy. Goldy is mostly just a rush player, not great when he doesn't have the puck on his stick. Both can waver defensively though your right on that.

Kaliyev is smarter, bigger, better shot. He's good at making plays too, and getting open to unleash his rocket of a shot. The one area Goldy has over him is skating, but Kaliyev is a better prospect overall IMO.

I don’t disagree, but his defensive play definitely needs work. 

49 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I don’t disagree, but his defensive play definitely needs work. 

I think this is over stated. Hes 17 What hes done offensively is pretty remarkable. He has time to learn. But what he has can't be taught. I'm not saying we should pick him, he's not on top of my draft list. I'm just saying don't write this kid off he's got some magic. 3 years from now I can hear people chanting fire Benning for missing this kid. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

I agree Kaliyev's defensive game needs work. Although I think its more of a consistency thing, rather than not knowing how to defend at all. Skating is more of a concern for me than defense.

Mantha was brought up with Lavoie, but I really think Kaliyev compares to Mantha more. Mantha's a better skater tho. 

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Think about what you would want for Juolevi in a trade.

Start there and add if you want Puljujarvi. 

Really?

What is the asking price for Virtanen in your eyes?

Because Puljujarvi has comparable stats to Virtanen, does not play defence, does not play the PK and does not body check anyone.

So if you're suggesting that Juolevi is JUST a starting piece for Puljujarvi, than you must think Virtanen starts at or with Fabbro???

Sorry man Puljujarvi has little value at this point and suggesting he is worth a prospect plus plus is kind of....well you know

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Any team that trades for him is gonna be looking to take Edmonton to the cleaners. You said it yourself hes not comfortable there and hes comming off dual hip surgery. He can barely tread water in the NHL. Not a chance I'd do Juolvei straight up for him let alone add. There is blood in the water and the sharks are circling. 

Yakupov got a 3rd and a nobody 4th round pick prospect who never played an nhl game.

Yakupov was traded in his draft +5 year. They still have a couple of years before they get to that point. 

A reasonable deal for Puljujarvi and what Edmonton would want to do are two different things. That's why he wasn't dealt this past deadline. If they land a G. Reinhart type return then good for them. But as you're saying, teams want to wait this one out given Edmonton's situation. If they choose to just cut their losses then sure something like Baertschi + a pick makes sense value wise, but they're not at that point yet. 

It's no different than wanting nothing less than an overpayment for Juolevi. At this very instant, Juolevi would probably get someone like Goldobin + parts back in a trade. Vancouver obviously doesn't want to do that, so why would Edmonton in a similar situation?

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Really?

What is the asking price for Virtanen in your eyes?

Because Puljujarvi has comparable stats to Virtanen, does not play defence, does not play the PK and does not body check anyone.

So if you're suggesting that Juolevi is JUST a starting piece for Puljujarvi, than you must think Virtanen starts at or with Fabbro???

Sorry man Puljujarvi has little value at this point and suggesting he is worth a prospect plus plus is kind of....well you know

Asking price for young players and fair value are two different things. My asking price for Virtanen would be much higher than his actual value right this second. Something like B+ prospect + 1st. I would definitely ask for Fabbro in return knowing there's now way it would happen. That's why I just wouldn't end up trading Virtanen.

That's pretty much what's happening with Puljujarvi right now. Edmonton's asking price is much higher than GM's are willing to pay, which is why he wasn't traded this past deadline. If Edmonton wants to try and hold out for a G. Reinhart type return like the one that burned them, they can. If they choose to simply cut their losses and take the best offer, they can. There's no rush to make a decision yet and the proposed offer wouldn't force their hand. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm gonna drop more Kaliyev bombs I know people are sour on this cat I admit I haven't watched many of his full games 2 so far and I'm impressed. I hate watching highlight reels their worthless. He's one of the youngest kids in the draft and he put up +50 goals, has the highest primary pts 5v5 of any draft-eligible prospect in the entire CHL. The only other players u18 to score +50 goals since 2000 are. 

[âIMG]

Pretty neat company I would certainly move him ahead of Debrincat who played with Mcdavid and Strome. He is doing this without much support the next closest player in scoring on his team has 79pts. But he's a -13 you may say the Bulldogs were also sporting a record of  29-34-0-5. This is a 17yo kid who is putting up elite level stats and leading his team in every category and leading the entire draft class of CHL players for that matter and I see him routinely thrown under the bus. What gives. Somebody said he was a perimeter player and now we all parrot it. Somebody is gonna get this kid late watch Tampa get knocked out by CBJ and turn this kid into a super star. 

https://youtu.be/UZURVJETI48

we will stay away from him.

Yo @S N Y P E R S 7

What do you think about Blake Murray? He was ranked in the top 15 in the pre-season rankings, but after an underwhelming season points wise. He fell off the radar and is now ranked outside of the top 100. Do you think he would be a good pickup in the second round for us? 

I’ve read he’s pretty decent skater with a lethal shot. Plays a tenacious game, very well rounded at both ends, and has the second best faceoff percentage amongst draft eligible player.

Sounds kind of a lot like Ryan O’Reilly. 

19 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Because Legorocks99 gaming says so?? Sounds like a credible source.

Let me ask you this: 

If he’s putting up much better numbers than Taylor Hall did in his draft year, and Hughes is hardly supposed to be generational, then why is Kaliyev supposed to go between 13-31?

3 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Let me ask you this: 

If he’s putting up much better numbers than Taylor Hall did in his draft year, and Hughes is hardly supposed to be generational, then why is Kaliyev supposed to go between 13-31?

All hail the rankings! Their never wrong.

If you read my posts I have acknowledged his flaws even said that he doesnt top my list for players I want at ten. I want Boldy, Newhook, Sieder, Lavoi. I am solely saying that if he drops low enough to a good team that can insulate his shortcomings qnd develop him watch for him to become a superstar. His scoring ability is in elite company. The rest can be learnt over time. How many kids at 17 not only lead their team in scoring but the entire CHL draft class 5v5? Every year we see franchise players every body passed on for this reason or that Kaliyev has the potential to make a lot of GMs and scouts look silly.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:
Long time reader, first time poster, and diehard fan of the NHL draft ;)

This is my Pre U18s mock draft. Things will undoubtedly change after that tournament, just like they did last year when Kotkaniemi catapulted into the third spot (I don’t even think his own mother saw him being drafted that high). There are a few players that I’m very intrigued to see in this tournament:

Newhook - after lighting up inferior talent in the BCHL it will be great to see him playing against his true peers. A good tourney can plant him into the top ten. 

Krebs - it’ll be great to see him playing alongside fellow skilled line mates. It’s hard to get a good gauge on him while playing on a the worst team in the W. 

Podkolzin - he dominated the Gretzky/Hlinka tournament. If he dominates the U18s as well then he should definitely secure himself a top 5 spot despite the ‘Russia factor’.  But man if he somehow fell to us at 10 he could be the piece that entices Tryamkin back to Vancouver. 

1. Devils pick Hughes 
Kakko and Hischier would make a deadly pair, but Hughes is too good to pass on. 

2. Rangers pick Kakko
Good for the Rangers to finally draft in the top three and to land such a deadly prize. I think it would be next to impossible to pry this pick from them. 

3. Blackhawks pick Cozens
They’ve got tons of young talent on D and opt for the most NHL ready prospect to help bring their team back to the promise land while they still have Toews and Kane under contract. Also, take a look at this kid’s frame (and don’t mistake him for the baseball player), he’s big and lean and has a lot of filling out to do and he’s already 6’3” and 185 lbs while also being one of the best skaters in the draft. When he fills out his stride should be that much more powerful and he will be a very difficult payer to contain. 

4. Avalanche pick Byram 
Tons of talent up front and have begun to shore up their backend, but the memories of their recent dog days of being a dismal front loaded team still haunt them and inspire them to add to their D. 

5. Kings pick Podkolzin
They shed tears of joy to have a talent such as this fall into their laps. He will likely dominate the U18s in the same way that he absolutely dominated the Gretzky/Hlinka cup, and if so I think there’s a good chance Chicago takes him 3 and the Kings end up taking Cozens at 5. 

6. Redwings pick Dach
Dach centring a line with Zadina will be incredibly dangerous. The fact that this big, skilled kid could go in the 5-10 range shows just how good the top of this draft class is. 

7. Sabres pick Zegras
The fact that he can play the wing or centre is appealing to the Sabres. His feist can compliment Reinhart or Middlestadt if playing on their wings. Team America will be sticking their centre depth from the Sabres ranks in every international tournament with the likes of Eichel, Middlestadt and Zegras. 

8. Oilers pick Boldy
A defensively responsible yet offensively gifted big body to play alongside McDavid just seems to make sense in Oil country. 

9. Ducks pick Soderstrom 
Lots of young talent up front and it’s time to focus on adding more to their backend with this well rounded stud. Already playing against men means that Soderstrom could be playing in the NHL a lot sooner than most D, adding to his appeal. 

10. Canucks pick Turcotte 
An absolute steal at ten. Easily a top five talent. The Canucks are tempted by Krebs and his work ethic, but can’t pass on Turcotte’s elite skill. Having three high caliber centres is a rare treat (it worked very well for the Penguins when they had Crosby, Malkin, and Staal - granted two them are elite hall of famers). Gaudette can be transitioned to the wing or traded in a package for a young right shot D man. 

As you can see, despite every team claiming they take BPA, every year teams get suckered into drafting by positional needs and I don’t see this year being any different. If the BPA for the Canucks happens to be a LW or RHD then that’ll be fantastic, but ultimately I just hope that they go with the BPA. There’s a lot of high end Centres in this draft and if one of those gems falls to us then I hope we take him. 

I hope you are right. I have Turcotte going top 5. Nice write up. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:
Long time reader, first time poster, and diehard fan of the NHL draft ;)

This is my Pre U18s mock draft. Things will undoubtedly change after that tournament, just like they did last year when Kotkaniemi catapulted into the third spot (I don’t even think his own mother saw him being drafted that high). There are a few players that I’m very intrigued to see in this tournament:

Newhook - after lighting up inferior talent in the BCHL it will be great to see him playing against his true peers. A good tourney can plant him into the top ten. 

Krebs - it’ll be great to see him playing alongside fellow skilled line mates. It’s hard to get a good gauge on him while playing on a the worst team in the W. 

Podkolzin - he dominated the Gretzky/Hlinka tournament. If he dominates the U18s as well then he should definitely secure himself a top 5 spot despite the ‘Russia factor’.  But man if he somehow fell to us at 10 he could be the piece that entices Tryamkin back to Vancouver. 

1. Devils pick Hughes 
Kakko and Hischier would make a deadly pair, but Hughes is too good to pass on. 

2. Rangers pick Kakko
Good for the Rangers to finally draft in the top three and to land such a deadly prize. I think it would be next to impossible to pry this pick from them. 

3. Blackhawks pick Cozens
They’ve got tons of young talent on D and opt for the most NHL ready prospect to help bring their team back to the promise land while they still have Toews and Kane under contract. Also, take a look at this kid’s frame (and don’t mistake him for the baseball player), he’s big and lean and has a lot of filling out to do and he’s already 6’3” and 185 lbs while also being one of the best skaters in the draft. When he fills out his stride should be that much more powerful and he will be a very difficult payer to contain. 

4. Avalanche pick Byram 
Tons of talent up front and have begun to shore up their backend, but the memories of their recent dog days of being a dismal front loaded team still haunt them and inspire them to add to their D. 

5. Kings pick Podkolzin
They shed tears of joy to have a talent such as this fall into their laps. He will likely dominate the U18s in the same way that he absolutely dominated the Gretzky/Hlinka cup, and if so I think there’s a good chance Chicago takes him 3 and the Kings end up taking Cozens at 5. 

6. Redwings pick Dach
Dach centring a line with Zadina will be incredibly dangerous. The fact that this big, skilled kid could go in the 5-10 range shows just how good the top of this draft class is. 

7. Sabres pick Zegras
The fact that he can play the wing or centre is appealing to the Sabres. His feist can compliment Reinhart or Middlestadt if playing on their wings. Team America will be sticking their centre depth from the Sabres ranks in every international tournament with the likes of Eichel, Middlestadt and Zegras. 

8. Oilers pick Boldy
A defensively responsible yet offensively gifted big body to play alongside McDavid just seems to make sense in Oil country. 

9. Ducks pick Soderstrom 
Lots of young talent up front and it’s time to focus on adding more to their backend with this well rounded stud. Already playing against men means that Soderstrom could be playing in the NHL a lot sooner than most D, adding to his appeal. 

10. Canucks pick Turcotte 
An absolute steal at ten. Easily a top five talent. The Canucks are tempted by Krebs and his work ethic, but can’t pass on Turcotte’s elite skill. Having three high caliber centres is a rare treat (it worked very well for the Penguins when they had Crosby, Malkin, and Staal - granted two them are elite hall of famers). Gaudette can be transitioned to the wing or traded in a package for a young right shot D man. 

As you can see, despite every team claiming they take BPA, every year teams get suckered into drafting by positional needs and I don’t see this year being any different. If the BPA for the Canucks happens to be a LW or RHD then that’ll be fantastic, but ultimately I just hope that they go with the BPA. There’s a lot of high end Centres in this draft and if one of those gems falls to us then I hope we take him. 

Heres hoping you're right! But it is a possibility the last 4 you mentioned might fall to us. Im almost guaranteeing that another defenseman will slide into the top 10. There is no way the draft ends up with the top 10 with only 1 defenseman drafted, its too much of a need for a lot of teams, especially the Red Wings, Oilers, and Ducks. Turcotte could drop because he missed games, kind of like Matt Barzal who was also injured for some time during his draft year who talent wise, was easily in the top 10-12

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Odd. said:

Why do I like this guy better than Boldy, Zegras, Newhook, or Podkolzin?

This guy screams hockey IQ.

Look back at page 118.

I was the one mentioning his name the first time in this thread.

He has all the tools to become a special player.

Skating, hockey IQ, shot, skill, work ethic.

Only thing is, that he needs to get stronger.

It will be interesting to see at what position he gets picked.

Dorofeyev:

19 games played/ 31 points

Podkolzin:

12 games played/ 8 points

Of course, Dorofeyev is about 9 months older than Podkolzin. Nevertheless he is going to be a player, for sure.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Look back at page 118.

I was the one mentioning his name the first time in this thread.

He has all the tools to become a special player.

Skating, hockey IQ, shot, skill, work ethic.

Only thing is, that he needs to get stronger.

It will be interesting to see at what position he gets picked.

Dorofeyev:

19 games played/ 31 points

Podkolzin:

12 games played/ 8 points

Of course, Dorofeyev is about 9 months older than Podkolzin. Nevertheless he is going to be a player, for sure.

I don't get how he's not ranked higher. He will be on many team's radars in the 1st round.

Not trying to be xenophobic, but I can't exactly remember the last time I've seen a Russian prospect at his age extremely poised and good in his own end like him. 

Skating: Think Bo Horvat, John Tavares. Very strong skater with tremendous balance and real sturdy on the ice. Could use a power skating coach but he's no slouch.

Hockey IQ: Absolute Check, he plays a 200ft game.

Shot: Absolute bomb of a shot

Work Ethic: Watching those highlights his work ethic is high. Scouts think so too

The powerplay is run by him. He kills penalties.

Matthew Boldy and Pavel Dorofeyev are very similar to each other. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

On 4/12/2019 at 11:39 AM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I have a feeling that Edmonton sees him as an ideal fit to slot in with either McDavid or Draisaitl in their top-6. The very reason he's the perfect fit for us to play with either one of Pettersson or Horvat.

I want a left-handed Mark Stone in our top-6. Do you? 

It's going to be interesting to see what player the Edmonton Oilers pick at draft day, if they keep their pick. They need help at forward not in 2 years from now, they need help right now. I think the they are going to consider the following three options, in the order stated,

1. trade their pick for a top 6 forward,

2. pick Boldy with their 1st

3. pick Soderstrom with their 1st..

They not only need help in the top6, but also on the back end with a puck moving D-Man. Puck moving D.-Man with top4 potential are difficult to acquire in a trade (Oilers do not have much assets, apart from the draft picks), or in free agency (taken into consideration their cap limitations).

• Upvote 1

Just now, Odd. said:

I don't get how he's not ranked higher. He will be on many team's radars in the 1st round.

Not trying to be xenophobic, but I can't exactly remember the last time I've seen a Russian prospect at his age extremely poised and good in his own end like him. 

Skating: Think Bo Horvat, John Tavares. Very strong skater with tremendous balance and real sturdy on the ice. Could use a power skating coach but he's no slouch.

Hockey IQ: Absolute Check, he plays a 200ft game.

Shot: Absolute bomb of a shot

Work Ethic: Watching those highlights his work ethic is high. 

The powerplay is run by him. He kills penalties.

Matthew Boldy and Pavel Dorofeyev are very similar to each other. 

I believe this has to do with the league he plays in. I would assume that there are not scouts to watch him. The Euro scouts are headquarterd in Finland. I doubt that one of the Euro scouts made all the way to Russia to scout him.

• Upvote 1