The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I just posted a question on how to get both Broberg and Seider?  

You arent. But you can get boldy and lets say korckzak and cover mutiple needs instead of islandering it up.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Isam said:

Plus, we are probably going to be bad next year and that will cover our need for an rhd or byfield. ^

Aren't we odds on to draft 13th or 15th next year? 20th with some luck, if you can call it that in a draft thread...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Soderstrom does things that both Stetcher and Hughes won’t do and that’s hit.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

At 5'11 and 175 (I get he will grow), he's not going to be able to do that effectively in the NHL 

Look at the instinct though. Also the close out speed and balance with which he cuts him off.  

He does not look like a guy who will get beat wide or easily. 

11 minutes ago, Isam said:

Actually i like seider alf. He has the higher ceiling. But the main reason why idont want to reach on a rhd is because drysdale and barron are way better options next year then soderstrom.

Yah I'm falling in love with Seider but he definitely would be a reach at 10. I would want to see the Canucks try to get another first rounder or trade down.

It's hard to find any good clips from german league and Seider hasn't been in any major tournaments. He did however compete in the WJC-20 D1A where he had in 5 games played: 1 G 6 A 7 P and +8 while winning gold in the process, an absolutely dominant performance for him in that tournament. Granted the teams they play are not good competition as you are competing against teams like Norway, Belarus, Austria and Latvia but it is an U20 tournament so playing against older competition.

The only notable comparables I could find in approximately 8 years of the tournament are the following players

Oliver Bjorkstrand

Draft Season:  5G 3A 8 P in 5 Games

Draft Season WHL: 31G 32A 63P in 65 Games

D+1 Season: 4G 2 A 6 P in 5 Games

Draft Season WHL: 50G 59A 109P in 69 Games

Dominik Bokk - Not yet NHLer but drafted 1st round last year

Draft Season:  1G 4A 5P in 5 Games

Draft +1 Season: 1G 7A 8P in 5 Games

SHL Season: 8G 15A 23P in 47 Games

Nikolaj Ehlers

Draft Season 2G 4A 6P in 5G

Draft Season QMJHL: 49G 55A 104P in 63G

The main takeaway I can see here is that it's not a very high scoring tournament and even for players that had over 100P in their respective leagues (WHL and QMJHL), they had only about  slightly over ppg in the tournament. The fact that Seider had 7 points in in 5 Games is a testament to how offensively skilled he can be. I hate to use short tournaments as comparables but I think it's realistic to say that if he were playing in the CHL, he would most likely have anywhere between .8-1 ppg playing against his peers. He had a better tournament statistically than Nikolaj Ehlers who had over 100 points his draft year! Just so you know, for under 18 players playing in this tournament Seider currently sits 4th all time going back just under 10 years. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Look at the instinct though. Also the close out speed and balance with which he cuts him off.  

One of his guys had basically boxed him out so he couldn't cut to the inside. He saw that the player 'had' to go wide and he closed it off. I wouldn't call this an impressive play. A good read though.

26 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Aren't we odds on to draft 13th or 15th next year? 20th with some luck, if you can call it that in a draft thread...

Maybe, but i think we got one more tough year before that upswing with the way the roster is structured atm. 

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

Maybe, but i think we got one more tough year before that upswing with the way the roster is structured atm. 

Fair enough, thanks.

I see, presuming Edler re-signs, things heading incrementally up as we get some productivity from the blue line. With Hughes coming on board. We also might stay healthy for once? Believe we were top 5 for injuries again.  But, Panarin signing aside, I don't see us jumping into top 3 in the division or anything.

22 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm not saying he's not skilled, just that he's not likely to be able to do that against the Benn's and Kopitar's etc in the NHL and Van already have two guys small in stature on the backend.........to me, that's the limit

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not saying he's not skilled, just that he's not likely to be able to do that against the Benn's and Kopitar's etc in the NHL and Van already have two guys small in stature on the backend.........to me, that's the limit

Time will tell if those guys can go through him.  

But he looks pretty solid, low centre of gravity. Not sure the puck will stick handle its way through Soderstrom if they run over him either. He's pretty quick with his hands and feet.  That's always the challenge, with every D, can he do it against the bigger & stronger comp in the NHL...  

17 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Asking price for young players and fair value are two different things. My asking price for Virtanen would be much higher than his actual value right this second. Something like B+ prospect + 1st. I would definitely ask for Fabbro in return knowing there's now way it would happen. That's why I just wouldn't end up trading Virtanen.

That's pretty much what's happening with Puljujarvi right now. Edmonton's asking price is much higher than GM's are willing to pay, which is why he wasn't traded this past deadline. If Edmonton wants to try and hold out for a G. Reinhart type return like the one that burned them, they can. If they choose to simply cut their losses and take the best offer, they can. There's no rush to make a decision yet and the proposed offer wouldn't force their hand. 

I think that's fair.  Just wanted to make sure the Canuck fan over valuation of every other prospect other than our own wasn't occurring 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Fair enough, thanks.

I see, presuming Edler re-signs, things heading incrementally up as we get some productivity from the blue line. With Hughes coming on board. We also might stay healthy for once? Believe we were top 5 for injuries again.  But, Panarin signing aside, I don't see us jumping into top 3 in the division or anything.

Why does Every think Panarin is going to Sign !! in vancouver :picard:

15 minutes ago, bernzie71 said:

Why does Every think Panarin is going to Sign !! in vancouver :picard:

Not many teams can absorb the cap hit, even fewer have an up and coming superstar cman to play with.  I don't think he is, but it's not remotely impossible that he signs on Van

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'll just leave this right here for you. Also, I think the only reason he's a reach is because nobody is going to Germany just to see him. It's not like there is anyone else to scout while they are there.

That cheeky stick throw though

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Broberg has a higher ceiling than Soderstrom and York.  I’m really on this kid’s band wagon.  I doubt he makes it to ten though.  I think he goes top five.  

Broberg just doesn’t seem skilled enough to me. I might be wrong on that but if I’m picking top 10 I want elite skill and offensive potential. Broberg does remind me of Edler which isn’t bad and I do think he has a long NHL career. He just seems like a guy good at everything but not great at any one thing. I’ve seen end to end rushes from Soderstrom where he’s playing the puck between his legs beating the other teams dman and scoring goals. Personally I’ve got Soderstrom easily above Broberg to the point I’d be disappointed if he’s the guy if both were available.

Edited by flickyoursedin
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not many teams can absorb the cap hit, even fewer have an up and coming superstar cman to play with.  I don't think he is, but it's not remotely impossible that he signs on Van

It's a pipe dream but it's fun to dream.

Panarin EP boeser - we would be pretty top heavy like Colorado for sure but strong depth at forward. Power play would kill. Thankfully having guys like Pettersson and boeser gives us a better shot at these big name FAs. Would be nice.

• Upvote 1