The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

10 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

Central scouting just released their rankings, few interesting things on there.

North America

1 HUGHES, JACK USA U-18 NTDP 14-May-2001 5' 10.25" 170 lbs * C L 43 25 67 92 20

2 BYRAM, BOWEN VANCOUVER WHL 13-Jun-2001 6' 0.25" 193 lbs * D L 67 26 45 71 80

3 DACH, KIRBY SASKATOON WHL 21-Jan-2001 6' 3.5" 197 lbs * C R 62 25 48 73 40

4 TURCOTTE, ALEX USA U-18 NTDP 26-Feb-2001 5' 11.25" 185 lbs * C L 30 23 30 53 18

5 COZENS, DYLAN LETHBRIDGE WHL 09-Feb-2001 6' 2.75" 180 lbs * C R 68 34 50 84 30

6 ZEGRAS, TREVOR USA U-18 NTDP 20-Mar-2001 6' 0.25" 169 lbs * C L 55 26 52 78 92

7 KALIYEV, ARTHUR HAMILTON OHL 26-Jun-2001 6' 1.75" 190 lbs * RW L 67 51 51 102 22

8 CAUFIELD, COLE USA U-18 NTDP 02-Jan-2001 5' 6.75" 162 lbs * RW R 57 58 24 82 35

9 BOLDY, MATTHEW USA U-18 NTDP 05-Apr-2001 6' 1.5" 192 lbs * LW L 57 30 39 69 28

10 KREBS, PEYTON KOOTENAY WHL 26-Jan-2001 5' 11.25" 180 lbs * C L 64 19 49 68 63

Europe

1 1 KAKKO, KAAPO 6' 2" 194 RIGHT WING TPS FINLAND
2 2 PODKOLZIN, VASILY 6' 1" 190 RIGHT WING NEVA ST. PETERSBURG RUSSIA-2
3 5 SODERSTROM, VICTOR 5' 11" 179 DEFENSEMAN BRYNAS SWEDEN
4 7 HEINOLA, VILLE 5' 11" 178 DEFENSEMAN LUKKO FINLAND
5 3 BROBERG, PHILIP 6' 3" 199 DEFENSEMAN AIK SWEDEN-2
6 6 SEIDER, MORITZ 6' 4" 183 DEFENSEMAN MANNHEIM GERMANY
7 8 BJORNFOT, TOBIAS 6' 0" 202 DEFENSEMAN DJURGARDEN JR. SWEDEN-JR.
8 11 MISYUL, DANIL 6' 3" 176 DEFENSEMAN YAROSLAVL 2 RUSSIA-JR.
9 4 NIKOLAEV, ILYA 6' 0" 190 CENTER YAROSLAVL 2 RUSSIA-JR.
10 9 KOKKONEN, MIKKO 5' 11" 198 DEFENSEMAN JUKURIT FINLAND

Was fairly surprised to see that Kaliyev was ranked that high, talent is there but i have read a lot of concerns about his work ethic. He's not a player that i really want for the Canucks. We would likely stick him in Utica and never give him a shot because of his defensive play. For us I think I like players in this order

Trevor Zegras: Don't see this guy falling to us but I think his skill level makes him the BPA, would love to see this guy on the wing with Pettersson and Boeser. That line would terrorize the league for years to come.

Peyton Krebs: Honestly probably ahead of the next 2 because he is Canadian, want to see this guy captain Canada to gold in the Juniors. Also really like his speed and he is apparently the hardest working player in this draft. I think this guy is the ideal counterpart to play beside Horvat, those two would fight tooth and nail for us every night.

Cole Caufield: Been going back and forth between Krebs, Caufield and Boldy. Changes daily it seems, best goal scorer beats out Boldy this time. Caufield seems to steal the show in every NTDP player highlight reel that i watch. I would have this guy ranked higher but i think he plays a similar style to Boeser and I'm not positive where he would fit on our PP in the future.

Matthew Boldy: Like hearing about his hockey IQ, apparently very versatile offensively. Dont love his skating and I do worry a little that his production might have been inflated playing on that historically good NTDP Squad. Setting aside that I do think he can improve his skating and his offensive creativity would be an asset for us.

Victor Soderstrom: Including him here because I see us going this direction, I'm not opposed to it as i like a lot of the two way lay this guy brings to the table. I don't dislike this pick but he won't be playing or us for at least 3 years... Call me impatient but i would like to see any of the above players in our lineup likely in the next couple years.

Do you like Caufields skating? 

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

In this situation? I'm taking Krebs with my eyes closed. He backchecks hard, transitions quickly, and plays a dynamic game. He's impactful in every situation. He also has that Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin-like commanding strength in his stride that lets him get up to top speed in three pushes. I'd slot him in next year.

At our spot in order of preference:

Krebs

Zegras

Boldy

My favorite player in this draft outside the top 2 - Kirby Dach. Really hope he's bennings guy and we trade upto get him.

Edited by Seannnp

1 hour ago, Deathrowe said:

North America

4 TURCOTTE, ALEX USA U-18 NTDP 26-Feb-2001 5' 11.25" 185 lbs * C L 30 23 30 53 18

5 COZENS, DYLAN LETHBRIDGE WHL 09-Feb-2001 6' 2.75" 180 lbs * C R 68 34 50 84 30

6 ZEGRAS, TREVOR USA U-18 NTDP 20-Mar-2001 6' 0.25" 169 lbs * C L 55 26 52 78 92

7 KALIYEV, ARTHUR HAMILTON OHL 26-Jun-2001 6' 1.75" 190 lbs * RW L 67 51 51 102 22

8 CAUFIELD, COLE USA U-18 NTDP 02-Jan-2001 5' 6.75" 162 lbs * RW R 57 58 24 82 35

9 BOLDY, MATTHEW USA U-18 NTDP 05-Apr-2001 6' 1.5" 192 lbs * LW L 57 30 39 69 28

10 KREBS, PEYTON KOOTENAY WHL 26-Jan-2001 5' 11.25" 180 lbs * C L 64 19 49 68 63

Europe

Was fairly surprised to see that Kaliyev was ranked that high, talent is there but i have read a lot of concerns about his work ethic. He's not a player that i really want for the Canucks. We would likely stick him in Utica and never give him a shot because of his defensive play. For us I think I like players in this order

Trevor Zegras: Don't see this guy falling to us but I think his skill level makes him the BPA, would love to see this guy on the wing with Pettersson and Boeser. That line would terrorize the league for years to come.

Peyton Krebs: Honestly probably ahead of the next 2 because he is Canadian, want to see this guy captain Canada to gold in the Juniors. Also really like his speed and he is apparently the hardest working player in this draft. I think this guy is the ideal counterpart to play beside Horvat, those two would fight tooth and nail for us every night.

Cole Caufield: Been going back and forth between Krebs, Caufield and Boldy. Changes daily it seems, best goal scorer beats out Boldy this time. Caufield seems to steal the show in every NTDP player highlight reel that i watch. I would have this guy ranked higher but i think he plays a similar style to Boeser and I'm not positive where he would fit on our PP in the future.

Matthew Boldy: Like hearing about his hockey IQ, apparently very versatile offensively. Dont love his skating and I do worry a little that his production might have been inflated playing on that historically good NTDP Squad. Setting aside that I do think he can improve his skating and his offensive creativity would be an asset for us.

Victor Soderstrom: Including him here because I see us going this direction, I'm not opposed to it as i like a lot of the two way lay this guy brings to the table. I don't dislike this pick but he won't be playing or us for at least 3 years... Call me impatient but i would like to see any of the above players in our lineup likely in the next couple years.

Broberg will get drafted before Soderstrom.  Seider might go before both the Swedes.  

I see us choosing between Soderstrom and Seider.

If those two guys are there, I am expecting we take Seider.  

Sadly, Broberg will be gone before we pick. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

If they have a nice little run and all enjoy what’s happening there and like the city and playing for Trotz ya could see that too.

crazy never thought they’d have such a great season..

it's a great example of not needing an elite level superstar to be successful.  Whether it's sustainable as they go deeper in the playoffs is another question

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I think it's better than DeBrincats was in his draft! That being said I dont think it's the strength you would like to see from a player his size.

Oh really, I though debrincats skating draft year was considerably better then caufields.

my concerns for Caufield are primarily his size of course, but next is the way he plays. He doesn’t play like an undersized forward. He’s not ridiculously elusive like Johnny hockey and he goes into dirty areas, or slides through traffic areas to get to the soft spots where he gets his shots off. I just think he’ll have to learn ways to avoid contact, because there are gonna be some big fellas looking to crush him. 

Also i feel his skating is closer to a Weakness rather than closer to a strength. And for a player his size to be successful you would expect strong edge work at least.

he can improve all these things of course but these are the parts of his game I think needs the most work.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's a great example of not needing an elite level superstar to be successful.  Whether it's sustainable as they go deeper in the playoffs is another question

Well Barzal is kind of emerged as that player? I do agree overall team depth and team play is important though and yes vegas last year and then this year are great examples!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I think it's better than DeBrincats was in his draft! That being said I dont think it's the strength you would like to see from a player his size.

I agree with you here, I don't feel like his skating is a liability by any means but i would like to see more explosiveness from a player with his frame. Good thing his shot is elite

I have some time to kill figured I'd do a mock draft for fun.

#1 NJ Kappo Kakko I think they pass on Hughes they already drafted a lil speedy guy 1st OA I don't think they do it twice but I could be wrong. If they do I think they look at trading Nicco.

#2 NY Hughes can't go wrong either way with Kakko or Hughes here.

#3 Chi I think it's either gonna be Dach or Cozens here they need their big C of the future today I'm gonna go with Cozens. Their probably not super Keen to wait for Podkolzin to finish out his KHL contract. Their mandate will be to get back into the playoffs ASAP.

#4 AVS  Podkolzin they have the ability to wait on him with their already impressive core. Podkolzin has the highest upside and they can afford to bake him properly.

#5 LA back to Dach/Cozens both of these players scream LA style they would have a great group of mentorship there to take them to the next level. Since I have Chi taking Cozens, Dach is the logical choice and he would fit so nicely there. They won cups with this template 

#6 DET Byram Winner winner Chicken dinner there is no way he falls past DET the players above may go in some other order but I think Byram makes it to Detroit who has roast beef and goes wee weee weee all the way home. 

#7 Buff here's where it starts to get murky I think their going to be looking for their counterpoint to Jack Eichel if their looking for his future winger I think it will be Krebs here. If it's a 2C their after I think Turcotte with be their man. I'm leaning towards Turcotte. 

#8 Oil they need a winger not later like right now I think they are watching the playoffs Lavoi is having and drooling. They will plunk him into the NHL next year like they always do. Maybe he's the right answer maybe they ruin his development. Lavoi with his size, speed, offensive ability and pugnacity seems like a very good match for McD. 

#9 Dux They will be looking to rebound quickly their core is aging but I don't think they are ready to go full rebuild yet I think they will either choose Boldy or Soderstrom and look to get them in the show asap. I'm leaning towards Soderstrom as their RHD seems weakest.  

#10 well whats left Newhook, Caufield are the home run swings, Krebs, Boldy, Zegras if JB is afraid to go off the board each would be very good picks and easily justifiable, finally if JB is drafting for positional need RHD Sieder and Soderstrom fit the bill. I like it when JB swings for the fences so Newhook is my guy however I would also be very happy with any of the other 6 named players in order I would have them. Newhook, Boldy, Krebs, Sieder, Zegras, Soderstrom, Caufield. I would also put an asterix next to Kaliyev here I'm not sure he is the best fit for the Canucks but I have a feeling he is going to be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL. I don't think the Canucks have the type of players yet to get him there. But there are teams that do. If he drops into the 20's watch out. 

Finally the players I am really hoping to drop are Podkolzin possible Russian factor and he's signed in the KHL, Byram for obvious reasons, Dach Elias Dach Bo down the middle are how cups are won, Turcotte see above,  Boldy I think with his IQ he could be the perfect complementary winger to the onslaught of Hughes, EP, Boeser. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:29 AM, hammertime said:

I hope you are right. I have Turcotte going top 5. Nice write up. 

Fingers crossed. It would be amazing if we could get Turcotte at 10. I seriously think he doesn't make it past 6/Detroit.

9 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Oh really, I though debrincats skating draft year was considerably better then caufields.

my concerns for Caufield are primarily his size of course, but next is the way he plays. He doesn’t play like an undersized forward. He’s not ridiculously elusive like Johnny hockey and he goes into dirty areas, or slides through traffic areas to get to the soft spots where he gets his shots off. I just think he’ll have to learn ways to avoid contact, because there are gonna be some big fellas looking to crush him. 

Also i feel his skating is closer to a Weakness rather than closer to a strength. And for a player his size to be successful you would expect strong edge work at least.

he can improve all these things of course but these are the parts of his game I think needs the most work.

The big knock other than size on Debrincat was his first steps. Obviously, they have gotten better. 

19 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I fully agree with this though it's one of the things I love about him and one of the main reasons I like Quinn over Jack I also have my reservations to if he can adapt and stay healthy in the nhl he doesn't have Quinn or Jacks elusiveness.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

The big knock other than size on Debrincat was his first steps. Obviously, they have gotten better. 

Debrincat played in the OHL.  He proved he is a hard nosed guy, who can play with an edge, and stand up for himself.  That's one of the things that has me cautious about Caufield.  He hasn't been physically tested like guys in the CHL would have been.  If he is not internally tough, he won't survive.

I think there will be better options at pick 10 for us, who have equal upside without the concerns.    

Just now, Alflives said:

Debrincat played in the OHL.  He proved he is a hard nosed guy, who can play with an edge, and stand up for himself.  That's one of the things that has me cautious about Caufield.  He hasn't been physically tested like guys in the CHL would have been.  If he is not internally tough, he won't survive.

I think there will be better options at pick 10 for us, who have equal upside without the concerns.    

I think he is internally tough he fills the net from 10 feet out with his short stick and ability to snap a puck at extreme velocity and accuracy in a phone booth. though it's an area he probably shouldn't hang out in in the NHL. Injuries are a concern, not ability.  

Just now, hammertime said:

I think he is internally tough he fills the net from 10 feet out with his short stick and ability to snap a puck at extreme velocity and accuracy in a phone booth. though it's an area he probably shouldn't hang out in in the NHL. Injuries are a concern, not ability.  

I don't think the league he is in now is anywhere near as physically demanding as the OHL.  Debrincat proved he was able to take the crap, and still produce.  I think Caufield would still need to learn that part of the game.  And he may or may not have that internal character.  I don't think we know that until he plays in a physical league, which he never has.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Deathrowe said:

North America

Europe

Caufield goes into the dirty areas waaaaay more than Boes, imo.

23 hours ago, bernzie71 said:

Why does Every think Panarin is going to Sign !! in vancouver :picard:

You should read before you react.

I made a statement the Canucks would improve a little bit next year on the back of Hughes joining. And our young players taking the next step.

Unless we managed to sign a ''Pananrin?'' The inference being we would improve more, but should not expect it. 

Well, the NHL's final rankings are out and I figured hey why don't I drop my top 31 instead of my top 15.

Thoughts are starting to boil down to final rankings, but regardless of team need these are my pre-combine top 31 in order. At every pick, I look at the two best options and ask myself "who would I rather have (a) or (b)." 

Krebs is another guy that has franchise-defining potential but he needs to start playing with faster, higher skill guys or he's going to get used to trying to do everything himself. As someone said earlier, he's already starting to look tired. If he's developed in an environment where he can trust his linemates to keep up with the kinds of ideas he wants to put into play, he has elite offensive potential in a Seguin or Kane-like mould. He has to limit himself to his linemates' capabilities to have any success in his current situation, and that just sucks. There are pluses to this though. I have seen him go from Kootenay to the national team and he looked like the kind of player we all know and love him to be. Two entirely different players. He knows the value of wins and losing so much has allowed him to thrive and excel amongst peers at his own skill level; he doesn't take even small victories for granted. This could never have come if he were playing with guys like Lafreniere and Dach all season long, because he would get complacent.

Kaliyev is an... enigma. I've seen a lot of talk about him, and he was someone who I adored at the beginning of the season. I still do, I still think he has top 6 potential. Now he's ranked at 7 for North American Skaters and I'm a bit perplexed but I know what they see. Kaliyev has a Draisaitl ceiling, straight up and there's no skirting around the edges with that. He has the potential to become an elite top line forward that can play a power role. He gets himself into positions to score consistently and he's a pretty noticeable threat that cant be left alone for a second. The problem is his consistency and, with that power element I'd mentioned earlier, he rarely uses it if he gets the chance. He'll look disinterested, or he'll get into position too early and command a pass that just isn't there. If the question is "does this guy make the players around him better," I don't know if I can say yes. He's been playing with Jan Jenik and Matthew Strome, who are good players in their own right, but he'll be a bit fringe at times and let them do the coordinating and the grinding and allow himself to be the beneficiary. If he forced himself to work harder in all three zones, maybe I wouldn't have my doubts. This is why when I ask myself "would I rather have Cole Caufield or Arthur Kaliyev," the answer is always a resounding "Caufield."

1. Jack Hughes

2. Kaapo Kakko

3. Bowen Byram

4. Kirby Dach

5. Vasili Podkolzin

6. Alex Turcotte

7. Dylan Cozens

8. Peyton Krebs

9. Trevor Zegras

10. Matthew Boldy

11. Victor Soderstrom

12. Cole Caufield