The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

4 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Well, the NHL's final rankings are out and I figured hey why don't I drop my top 31 instead of my top 15.

Thoughts are starting to boil down to final rankings, but regardless of team need these are my pre-combine top 31 in order. At every pick, I look at the two best options and ask myself "who would I rather have (a) or (b)." 

Krebs is another guy that has franchise-defining potential but he needs to start playing with faster, higher skill guys or he's going to get used to trying to do everything himself. As someone said earlier, he's already starting to look tired. If he's developed in an environment where he can trust his linemates to keep up with the kinds of ideas he wants to put into play, he has elite offensive potential in a Seguin or Kane-like mould. He has to limit himself to his linemates' capabilities to have any success in his current situation, and that just sucks. There are pluses to this though. I have seen him go from Kootenay to the national team and he looked like the kind of player we all know and love him to be. Two entirely different players. He knows the value of wins and losing so much has allowed him to thrive and excel amongst peers at his own skill level; he doesn't take even small victories for granted. This could never have come if he were playing with guys like Lafreniere and Dach all season long, because he would get complacent.

Kaliyev is an... enigma. I've seen a lot of talk about him, and he was someone who I adored at the beginning of the season. I still do, I still think he has top 6 potential. Now he's ranked at 7 for North American Skaters and I'm a bit perplexed but I know what they see. Kaliyev has a Draisaitl ceiling, straight up and there's no skirting around the edges with that. He has the potential to become an elite top line forward that can play a power role. He gets himself into positions to score consistently and he's a pretty noticeable threat that cant be left alone for a second. The problem is his consistency and, with that power element I'd mentioned earlier, he rarely uses it if he gets the chance. He'll look disinterested, or he'll get into position too early and command a pass that just isn't there. If the question is "does this guy make the players around him better," I don't know if I can say yes. He's been playing with Jan Jenik and Matthew Strome, who are good players in their own right, but he'll be a bit fringe at times and let them do the coordinating and the grinding and allow himself to be the beneficiary. If he forced himself to work harder in all three zones, maybe I wouldn't have my doubts. This is why when I ask myself "would I rather have Cole Caufield or Arthur Kaliyev," the answer is always a resounding "Caufield."

1. Jack Hughes

2. Kaapo Kakko

3. Bowen Byram

4. Kirby Dach

5. Vasili Podkolzin

6. Alex Turcotte

7. Dylan Cozens

8. Peyton Krebs

9. Trevor Zegras

10. Matthew Boldy

11. Victor Soderstrom

12. Cole Caufield

13. Arthur Kaliyev

14. Cam York

15. Philip Broberg

16. Alex Newhook

17. Raphael Lavoie

18. Spencer Knight

19. Ville Heinola

20. Thomas Harley

21. Ryan Suzuki

22. Philip Tomasino

23. Moritz Seider

24. Matthew Robertson

25. Tobias Bjornfot

26. Samuel Poulin

27. Lassi Thomson

28. Jakob Pelletier

29. Nick Robertson

30. Brett Leason

31. Bobby Brink

How did you determine this list is this just a BPA list or are you factoring the teams that are picking at those spots? I ask this because you have Podkolzin going to LA who won't want to wait for his KHL contract to expire. And Byram going to CHI who already have Boqvist, Jokiharju, Mitchell, Beaudin, Krys, Koekkoek, Dahlstrom, Forsling who all appear to be NHL caliber D prospects. I think both of these teams address more immediate needs.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

How did you determine this list is this just a BPA list or are you factoring the teams that are picking at those spots? I ask this because you have Podkolzin going to LA who won't want to wait for his KHL contract to expire. And Byram going to CHI who already have Boqvist, Jokiharju, Mitchell, Beaudin, Krys, Koekkoek, Dahlstrom, Forsling who all appear to be NHL caliber D prospects. I think both of these teams address more immediate needs.   

Oh this isn't a mock draft, I think I did one of those a while ago. This is just my best available.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Well, the NHL's final rankings are out and I figured hey why don't I drop my top 31 instead of my top 15.

Thoughts are starting to boil down to final rankings, but regardless of team need these are my pre-combine top 31 in order. At every pick, I look at the two best options and ask myself "who would I rather have (a) or (b)." 

Krebs is another guy that has franchise-defining potential but he needs to start playing with faster, higher skill guys or he's going to get used to trying to do everything himself. As someone said earlier, he's already starting to look tired. If he's developed in an environment where he can trust his linemates to keep up with the kinds of ideas he wants to put into play, he has elite offensive potential in a Seguin or Kane-like mould. He has to limit himself to his linemates' capabilities to have any success in his current situation, and that just sucks. There are pluses to this though. I have seen him go from Kootenay to the national team and he looked like the kind of player we all know and love him to be. Two entirely different players. He knows the value of wins and losing so much has allowed him to thrive and excel amongst peers at his own skill level; he doesn't take even small victories for granted. This could never have come if he were playing with guys like Lafreniere and Dach all season long, because he would get complacent.

Kaliyev is an... enigma. I've seen a lot of talk about him, and he was someone who I adored at the beginning of the season. I still do, I still think he has top 6 potential. Now he's ranked at 7 for North American Skaters and I'm a bit perplexed but I know what they see. Kaliyev has a Draisaitl ceiling, straight up and there's no skirting around the edges with that. He has the potential to become an elite top line forward that can play a power role. He gets himself into positions to score consistently and he's a pretty noticeable threat that cant be left alone for a second. The problem is his consistency and, with that power element I'd mentioned earlier, he rarely uses it if he gets the chance. He'll look disinterested, or he'll get into position too early and command a pass that just isn't there. If the question is "does this guy make the players around him better," I don't know if I can say yes. He's been playing with Jan Jenik and Matthew Strome, who are good players in their own right, but he'll be a bit fringe at times and let them do the coordinating and the grinding and allow himself to be the beneficiary. If he forced himself to work harder in all three zones, maybe I wouldn't have my doubts. This is why when I ask myself "would I rather have Cole Caufield or Arthur Kaliyev," the answer is always a resounding "Caufield."

1. Jack Hughes

2. Kaapo Kakko

3. Bowen Byram

4. Kirby Dach

5. Vasili Podkolzin

6. Alex Turcotte

7. Dylan Cozens

8. Peyton Krebs

9. Trevor Zegras

10. Matthew Boldy

11. Victor Soderstrom

12. Cole Caufield

13. Arthur Kaliyev

14. Cam York

15. Philip Broberg

16. Alex Newhook

17. Raphael Lavoie

18. Spencer Knight

19. Ville Heinola

20. Thomas Harley

21. Ryan Suzuki

22. Philip Tomasino

23. Moritz Seider

24. Matthew Robertson

25. Tobias Bjornfot

26. Samuel Poulin

27. Lassi Thomson

28. Jakob Pelletier

29. Nick Robertson

30. Brett Leason

31. Bobby Brink

I have a couple of questions and I'd like to get your input if you don't mind:

1) What would Heinola have to do to get ranked higher? He's outproduced Heiskanen's numbers in Liiga, looked good at the WJC before he got injured and has no glaring physical concerns. There seems to quite a bit of evidence pointing to him being around as good as Heiskanen, who has looked great in his rookie year. 

2) How do you feel about Dorofeyev? He outscored Podkolzin by quite a bit in the MHL and displays so much creativity in his game. His vision is tremendous and he plays the penalty kill as well. He seems to be everything you want in a player, but is ranked much lower than I feel he should be. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Debrincat played in the OHL.  He proved he is a hard nosed guy, who can play with an edge, and stand up for himself.  That's one of the things that has me cautious about Caufield.  He hasn't been physically tested like guys in the CHL would have been.  If he is not internally tough, he won't survive.

I think there will be better options at pick 10 for us, who have equal upside without the concerns.    

The guys in this program play against NCAA teams, players that are up to 24 years old.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I have a couple of questions and I'd like to get your input if you don't mind:

1) What would Heinola have to do to get ranked higher? He's outproduced Heiskanen's numbers in Liiga, looked good at the WJC before he got injured and has no glaring physical concerns. There seems to quite a bit of evidence pointing to him being around as good as Heiskanen, who has looked great in his rookie year. 

2) How do you feel about Dorofeyev? He outscored Podkolzin by quite a bit in the MHL and displays so much creativity in his game. His vision is tremendous and he plays the penalty kill as well. He seems to be everything you want in a player, but is ranked much lower than I feel he should be. 

Pavel Dorofeyev is a really strong offensive player, but I wouldn't call him a surefire NHLer or someone whose game would translate well yet. He makes quality plays and makes a lot of hard passes look easy. He'll be readable in the NHL if he doesn't make decisions quicker though, as he needs to speed up his game a tad. Some of the things he's able to pull off in the MHL are unbelievable, but in pro leagues, they'd get him decked. He's not that far off, but he seems a bit floaty at times and I think more speed, agility and quicker decision-making could supplement, as you said, creativity in his game. He also needs to battle in the tougher areas. 

Heinola is good, I can see a bit of the comparison with Heiskanen. Heinola is a safe pick. He'll end up in the NHL, but it'll take some time. He has to refine his two-way game, but I think he has potential as a top 4 D that can put up points and get his stick in lanes. He's not as dynamic as some other guys, but he's super consistent and competitive. Would I rank him ahead of Spencer Knight? Probably not, as I think Knight has potential to be an elite, franchise-type goalie, but that area there is a bit iffy because of Broberg's slippage and how well Lavoie's been playing. If Broberg and Heinola are available, I'm picking Broberg. If Lavoie and Heinola are available, I'm picking on team need. It really depends, but Heinola has a case for being ranked a bit higher.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Pavel Dorofeyev is a really strong offensive player, but I wouldn't call him a surefire NHLer or someone whose game would translate well yet. He makes quality plays and makes a lot of hard passes look easy. He'll be readable in the NHL if he doesn't make decisions quicker though, as he needs to speed up his game a tad. Some of the things he's able to pull off in the MHL are unbelievable, but in pro leagues, they'd get him decked. He's not that far off, but he seems a bit floaty at times and I think more speed, agility and quicker decision-making could supplement, as you said, creativity in his game. He also needs to battle in the tougher areas. 

Heinola is good, I can see a bit of the comparison with Heiskanen. Heinola is a safe pick. He'll end up in the NHL, but it'll take some time. He has to refine his two-way game, but I think he has potential as a top 4 D that can put up points and get his stick in lanes. He's not as dynamic as some other guys, but he's super consistent and competitive. Would I rank him ahead of Spencer Knight? Probably not, as I think Knight has potential to be an elite, franchise-type goalie, but that area there is a bit iffy because of Broberg's slippage and how well Lavoie's been playing. If Broberg and Heinola are available, I'm picking Broberg. If Lavoie and Heinola are available, I'm picking on team need. It really depends, but Heinola has a case for being ranked a bit higher.

Thanks for the reply. 

I see where you're coming from on Dorofeyev, but he might have enough raw talent to pull through at the higher levels. He might have a bit of an adjustment period in the KHL next year and then just absolutely take off. The quality of individual and team defense is a joke sometimes in the MHL so he has more time and space, thus not making decisions as fast. I think he's smart enough to adjust to higher levels of defense and increase his overall pace though. He does seem pretty committed to backchecking and overall defense as well. I think the game he plays is very similar to Pettersson actually and I see him as potential Kuznetsov-like gift at the end of the first round. 

Heinola doesn't have the same skating as Heiskanen, but I think they are pretty much equivalent in terms of hockey sense. I think his hockey sense is probably 1st or 2nd overall amongst the defensemen in the draft actually (either him or Soderstrom probably). For that reason, I think he's a relatively sure bet to be a pretty effective top-4 defenseman once he irons out some defensive deficiencies.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Deathrowe said:

The guys in this program play against NCAA teams, players that are up to 24 years old.

Different rules, and not nearly so tough a league.  Yes, these are men he is playing against, but it’s not the same physically. I’m not against Caufield, but I have two concerns about him.  One he’s not the quickest guy.  Two he’s never had to play hard nosed hockey.  He could still be a great player.  

4 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Kaliyev is an... enigma. I've seen a lot of talk about him, and he was someone who I adored at the beginning of the season. I still do, I still think he has top 6 potential. Now he's ranked at 7 for North American Skaters and I'm a bit perplexed but I know what they see. Kaliyev has a Draisaitl ceiling, straight up and there's no skirting around the edges with that. He has the potential to become an elite top line forward that can play a power role. He gets himself into positions to score consistently and he's a pretty noticeable threat that cant be left alone for a second. The problem is his consistency and, with that power element I'd mentioned earlier, he rarely uses it if he gets the chance. He'll look disinterested, or he'll get into position too early and command a pass that just isn't there. If the question is "does this guy make the players around him better," I don't know if I can say yes. He's been playing with Jan Jenik and Matthew Strome, who are good players in their own right, but he'll be a bit fringe at times and let them do the coordinating and the grinding and allow himself to be the beneficiary. If he forced himself to work harder in all three zones, maybe I wouldn't have my doubts. This is why when I ask myself "would I rather have Cole Caufield or Arthur Kaliyev," the answer is always a resounding "Caufield".

Honestly, kaliyev reminds me alot of Kessel. Definitely not as fast but some qualities. Kessel often seemed disinterested (especially in the beginning of his career), but absolutely deadly when gets going. Very good complimentary player.

Consistency, and skating need work. Ceiling is high though.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

1. Jack Hughes

2. Kaapo Kakko

3. Bowen Byram

4. Kirby Dach

5. Vasili Podkolzin

6. Alex Turcotte

7. Dylan Cozens

8. Peyton Krebs

9. Trevor Zegras

10. Matthew Boldy

11. Victor Soderstrom

12. Cole Caufield

13. Arthur Kaliyev

14. Cam York

15. Philip Broberg

16. Alex Newhook

17. Raphael Lavoie

18. Spencer Knight

19. Ville Heinola

20. Thomas Harley

21. Ryan Suzuki

22. Philip Tomasino

23. Moritz Seider

24. Matthew Robertson

25. Tobias Bjornfot

26. Samuel Poulin

27. Lassi Thomson

28. Jakob Pelletier

29. Nick Robertson

30. Brett Leason

31. Bobby Brink

If the draft goes down like this I'd be happy with Boldy.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Honestly, kaliyev reminds me alot of Kessel. Definitely not as fast but some qualities. Kessel often seemed disinterested (especially in the beginning of his career), but absolutely deadly when gets going. Very good complimentary player.

No matter what anyone says Kaliyev he definitely has talent. You don't score 1.5 ppg in your draft year as a 17 yr old without being exceptionally talented and as such he does have a really high ceiling. The problem I see is that the concerns that surround him lead him to possibly having a regression/stagnation in next years numbers which would severely cap his ultimate ceiling. I think that's what most scouts are concerned about it. Either way it'd be criminal for him to be selected any later than 20.

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

I really like that comparison. Kaliyev does remind me a lot of Kessel

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

trade down a bit and draft Lassi Thomson from Kelowna and gain an additional pick along the way?

I'd prefer to remain at 10, Thomson is a solid pick but itd be a mistake to pass up on a player who will be avail at 10. We will get a geat player at 10 #jbquotes

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

trade down a bit and draft Lassi Thomson from Kelowna and gain an additional pick along the way?

Or drafting Korczak with our second. I like his intangibles more than Thompsons. They always up his minutes when their trying to close out a game and hes always out there for important d zone faceoffs. He will also misplace his mittens to come to the aid of a teammate. Personally I'd take Korczak over Lassi. So it's just fine by me that hes ranked a smidgen lower. Lassi may have a better offensive game but Korczack is a guy you win with. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

What's everyone's take on Alex Newhook at 10? Just seen his stats and they look insane, and his scouting report says he's an offensive force with a lot of speed. Sounds like a nice winger for Petey

I have been spamming this forum with my support for him. Here is a good start. If you're more interested watch his full games. Hes gonna be good. Maybe someone else who watches BCHL will chime in @Warhippy

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I have been spamming this forum with my support for him. Here is a good start. If you're more interested watch his full games. Hes gonna be good. Maybe someone else who watches BCHL will chime in @Warhippy

In the games I was able to see (4), he was always a threat. Absolute elite skating, up there with Hughes. You could tell the competition just wasn't enough, NCAA will be great for him next year. Would not be disappointed if we landed him.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, hammertime said:

If we take him at 10 I won’t be upset at all.

he has one of the biggest ceilings in the draft and his skating, puck skills, iq all looks fantastic. 

I wonder how he would play on a wing though, I’m sure he’d be a good fit on the left flank.

People compare jost but I don’t think they were the same caliber playerdraft year, and I feel Colorado rushed him and he should have played another year at least in college. Looking at Makar though is motivating too because they kind of have similarities. Same quality of league, ridiculous video game numbers and both outstanding skaters.

think newhook 1-2 years of college and then he’d be NHL ready and a great addition to the squad.

• Upvote 2