The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

When I see Moritz Seider and the way he plays at 6'4 200lbs 18yr old he reminds me of a young Shea Weber with similar size and physicality. Weber was picked 49th overall. If Seider can develop a bomb of a shot like Weber he could become another home run pick for Benning. Spider loves to hit and lay the body something this team is missing. he will likely fill out to around 220-230lbs. If we can get a right shot first pairing defence man to play with Hughes that has a bomb of a shot we will be a much more dangerous team and be built for the playoffs. 

Shea Weber

Defense -- shoots R
Born Aug 14 1985 -- Sicamous, BC 
[33 yrs. ago] 
Height 6.04 -- Weight 229 [193 cm/104 kg]
Drafted by Nashville Predators
- round 2 #49 overall 2003 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2001-02 Kelowna Rockets WHL 5 0 0 0 0 -1 -- -- -- -- --
2002-03 Kelowna Rockets WHL 70 2 16 18 167 25 19 1 4 5 26
2003-04 Kelowna Rockets WHL 60 12 20 32 126 23 17 3 14 17 16
2004-05 Kelowna Rockets WHL 55 12 29 41 95 12 18 9 8 17 25
2005-06 Milwaukee Admirals AHL 46 12 15 27 49 1 14 6 5 11 16
2005-06 Nashville Predators NHL 28 2 8 10 42 8 4 2 0 2 8
2006-07 Nashville Predators NHL 79 17 23 40 60 13 5 0 3 3

Canucks Curse: For some reason I find that trade scenario very interesting. BUF would basically be jumping 18 spots with their second 1st. They would have picks #7 and #10. That would really help their rebuild, plus they get a very good goalie prospect and a gritty bottom 6 prospect. They would lose Ristolainen, sure, but they've got Dahlin and with the #10 they select Soderstrom or Broberg (after they've selected Podkolzin with the #7). Canucks would get Ristolainen, who would definitely fill a need at RD. He's also only 24. The Canucks would then have the #28, #37 and #40, I believe. That's nice. Maybe with those picks they get Spencer Knight (to replace DiPietro), Thomson or Korczak, and Grewe or Poulin?

But the Canucks dropping 18 spots at the VAN Draft might not go over well. 

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

To BUF

10th OA

dipietro

Lockwood

To VAN

Risto

28thOA - draft Lassi Thomson

BUF 2nd 2019

Risto has been over used in BUF, playing more minutes then he can handle, he is a good number 2-3 D man, he is being used as a number 1 shutdown and offensive d man.

Edler Tanev 

Hughes Risto

Hutton Stecher

each pair could probably handle 20 min per night

OJ- Schenn as the 4th pair

then sign Duchenne to a lot of money like 10 mill

duchenne Petey Boser

Pearson Bo Virtanen

Roussel Gaudette Leivo

Macewan Sutter Beagle

Schaller

Pass on Risto. The guy can’t play defence he’s averaging like -30 so far in his first 5 seasons. He was a -41 last year. A better trade would be our 2nd coupled with something for the 27th overall. Pick 10th and 27th and not add a -40 to an already bad defence core.

9 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

If Benning is looking for another home run could Moritz Seider be that guy?? 

Currently not projected to be a top pairing defence man but if his game progresses with his size he could be an absolute stud. We need size on our team to compete in the playoffs.

Is it fair to say we can find skilled top 6 wingers in the second round? 

Is 10 to early to pick Seider? Could we trade down to say 14-16 and try to acquire another pick? 

I think 10 is 'probably' early to pick Seider but it really depends on what the scouting staff feels his future potential is. While trading back is a possibility there is the outside chance that Seider could slip to 20. The reason I say this is because the german leagues are not very well scouted and it's very hard to compare to other leagues. Also he's had two shoulder injuries in the past year which usually drops you in the rankings. I am very high on him myself and if he does slip to 20 I would be calling on the draft floor to see what kind of package it would take to move up into the late 1st round. Most teams in the late 1st round will be looking at retooling or adding to their roster and if you give them a piece that's tantalizing enough it may be worth the trade. Perhaps a Ben Hutton + your 2nd? I personally feel that's pretty good value for a team wanting to trade and we will likely need to move a D man anyways in the offseason.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TGokou said:

I think 10 is 'probably' early to pick Seider but it really depends on what the scouting staff feels his future potential is. While trading back is a possibility there is the outside chance that Seider could slip to 20. The reason I say this is because the german leagues are not very well scouted and it's very hard to compare to other leagues. Also he's had two shoulder injuries in the past year which usually drops you in the rankings. I am very high on him myself and if he does slip to 20 I would be calling on the draft floor to see what kind of package it would take to move up into the late 1st round. Most teams in the late 1st round will be looking at retooling or adding to their roster and if you give them a piece that's tantalizing enough it may be worth the trade. Perhaps a Ben Hutton + your 2nd? I personally feel that's pretty good value for a team wanting to trade and we will likely need to move a D man anyways in the offseason.

I had a scotch induced dream that we drafted Broberg @ 10 and Seider @ 15. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Pass on Risto. The guy can’t play defence he’s averaging like -30 so far in his first 5 seasons. He was a -41 last year. A better trade would be our 2nd coupled with something for the 27th overall. Pick 10th and 27th and not add a -40 to an already bad defence core.

Friedman just went on some long rant how much he likes risto and feels buffalo has just thrown way too many minutes at him too early in his career and that the guy needs a change of scenery and feels he would be on our top pair with Edler- its undeniable he is:

1. better fit then myers

2. arguably our top RHD if we get him

21 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Im curious why he has Zegras so low.

I think I have mentioned it over and over here I have watched a lot of USNDP I cant figure out what kind of player he is. On my lists I have him low on my wish list at 10. There is lots to like but I cant get a read on what his strength is that is elite. When I look at prospects I look for their elite skillset because that is what is going to give their coach at the next level the ability to use them to their strength. I cant figure out what that is. He does a lot of things well.

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think I have mentioned it over and over here I have watched a lot of USNDP I cant figure out what kind of player he is. On my lists I have him low on my wish list at 10. There is lots to like but I cant get a read on what his strength is that is elite. When I look at prospects I look for their elite skillset because that is what is going to give their coach at the next level the ability to use them to their strength. I cant figure out what that is. He does a lot of things well.

That's literally what excites me about him. He's a really fast and agile skater tho lacks balance. He's plays a real feisty, POS game. He's a real good playmaker. Has a good enough shot. He's solid 200ft player, can play both wing and center, always nice having a hybrid.

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

Friedman just went on some long rant how much he likes risto and feels buffalo has just thrown way too many minutes at him too early in his career and that the guy needs a change of scenery and feels he would be on our top pair with Edler- its undeniable he is:

1. better fit then myers

Albeit a better option than Myers. I’d rather have neither because I don’t like the price for either guy. Myers will be overpaid and I don’t want to drop that far in the draft. Risto would be our top guy on the right side and thrown into the exact same scenario here. I just don’t like the idea of trading a 10th overall pick for a  one dimensional 2nd pairing dman. Me personally I’d rather just keep the pick and take the most skillful player. This team needs quality not quantity. The further you trade down the more risk you run.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Darius said:

Anyone else starting to think about the type of teams that dominate in the playoffs?  This has more or less been a constant for a long time.  The team with the skilled players that have no problem mucking it up seem to do better. Most of the time these types of players are big / heavy.   Not always, but generally speaking.  Columbus just trounced Tampa.  Calgary's top line is invisible so far.  Johnny and Sean seem afraid to get into the dirty areas and dont do well on the boards.

This is leading to a point of course.  Half of our core 4 are smaller guys.  EP looks more like P. Kane than he does Gaudreau in terms of willingness to go into the dirty areas.  How Hughes holds up in the back end during a tough series remains to be seen.

Playing it safe here but I think they need to stay away from the small pure skill guys in this draft.  They need to balance out their top 6 with a heavier winger that can skate and has good IQ, in my mind stay away from Caufield.

I like what you are saying but I would like Cozens and Dach.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

1. better fit then myers

That likely means Boeser going the other way.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

That likely means Boeser going the other way.

Boeser?  Why would the Canucks make that deal if Buffalo wanted that type of return?  Risto is minus 50 this year alone and minus a million for his short career.  I think the Sabres would be far more interested in Sutter and Tanev.  They need to keep pucks out of their net, not add guys to put them in.  

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

There hasgot to be a couple pretenders on the usdt. Im assuming that's how he views zegras.

I asked JD on Twitter, he said he hasnt seen high end creativity. And hasnt seen the hype the rest of the industry sees.

Im with you hammertime, i think we're both not as crazy about him as others seem to be.

The elite thing to me is speed/skating. Hes one of the best of the top 15. Then his playmaking is high-end too. But nothing else really stands out as elite. Kind of a perimeter player & doesnt have a great shot, would be my knocks. Not sure if you see it the same.

Trying to project him in the NHL, i think hes more of a 2nd liner than a 1st. But with his skating, i guess there always a chance he exceeds expectations as he gets stronger.