The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

12 hours ago, hammertime said:

Say this u18 tournament and the CHL playoffs has an affect on the top 10. Boldy Krebs Lavoi and Caufield creep up the board.

The Canucks have a choice of Podkolzin signed KHL property publicly stated he won't be comming to NA soon, Dach skating and injury concerns, Zegras not participating in u18 or reach for Newhook, Sieder, Soderstrom

Who's your guy? 

Zegras still if he is there. Guy plays all three foward positions can act as an offensive swiss army knife. I would love to see jimbo show some big balls and draft caufield at ten. No to soderstrom.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Caufield is lighting it up and will break the USA scoring record this tourney, he is playing with Hughes...both complement each other. But DAMN.......that minature size scares the CRAP out of me if we take him. Not with 10th overall. I mean Debrincat was lighting it up and he was a 2nd rounder, that is fine to take a tiny guy then. We got burned once taking a tiny guy in the 1st so that is making me nervous and to boot its a lot higher of a draft selection.

Krebs impressed me for Canada, Newhook has skill but he needs more refinement to his all around game where Krebs already has that. I think it was Button or whoever the announcer was saying Krebs reminded him of how Ryan O Reilly plays. Interesting comparison, I think we have our O Reilly in Bo already. All in all should be an interesting draft choice...

Side note, not related to this draft but a recent top pick...Makar, sure looks good on the Av's D, Button was right with that kid looks to be a gem!

First game against sweden was with turcotte. I would like to see them go back to that because it makes the yanks so much more deeper.

12 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Podkolzin

All those guys are 2 years away anyways 

No russians. 

Cant count on them to stick through thick and thin. Dont like the coach? Run to khl. Dont like the city? Run to khl. Dont like having to earn your spot?

you guessed it. Run to the effing khl. 

No russians. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

I see a lot of Brent Burns in Broberg. Every chance he gets he moves the puck up the ice with his beautiful skating ability. It's an element this team could definitely use for sure. I His speed and strides are impressive at 6'3 200lbs.

Out of all defenseman, he truly has the highest ceiling. And to be honest, he's the only defenseman I'd even consider drafting at 10. Otherwise, I'd rather stick with one of those forwards but if Benning thinks we need a d-man, I really hope he has his sights on Broberg. He's got elements to his game that we need. Also, I don't get the talk about his hockey sense. Scouts say his hockey sense is terrific. 

Soderstrom reminds me of Jonas Brodin. A guy that is good at everything but doesn't really have parts of his game that truly stand out. 

Skating is impressive, period.  Regardless of size, he is fast and shifty.

8 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

No russians. 

Cant count on them to stick through thick and thin. Dont like the coach? Run to khl. Dont like the city? Run to khl. Dont like having to earn your spot?

you guessed it. Run to the effing khl. 

No russians. 

Um ok. Someone is still mad over the tryamkin situation. Got it

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

You can probably get this guy at ten.

Agreed, from all the rankings I have seen, shouldn't be a problem getting him at 10.  Imagine Hughes, Juolevi and Broberg.  That is a mobile, puck moving D.  Put in some D with good size and pushback and that is a solid d core in a couple years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Agreed, from all the rankings I have seen, shouldn't be a problem getting him at 10.  Imagine Hughes, Juolevi and Broberg.  That is a mobile, puck moving D.  Put in some D with good size and pushback and that is a solid d core in a couple years.

That sure would be nice.  If Tryamkin can play RD then we are set.

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

That sure would be nice.  If Tryamkin can play RD then we are set.

Tryamkin has stated he is comfortable both sides, prefers RH, and plays both sides.

Apparently Benning is in Sweden at this tournament.

The work continues.

• Upvote 3

Here is my dilemma

Look at the Canuck future line-up, we definitely need to draft a RHD, and we may never be in the position to pick a high end Dman again, in the foreseeable future, so I think if it is not a reach, then that is for sure one possibility. But on the other hand, there are players in the 32-45 OA spot, that could fill that spot. The question is floor and ceiling, and what the real difference is between 10 OA and those in the second round? That is why, I would love Benning to get that late 1st, because we could pick both Thompson and Korczak, and be fairly comfortable that we have another top 4 RHD in our midst. 

On the other hand, if Benning is sitting at 10 OA, and we are looking at Dach, Zegras, Krebs and Boldy, well they all have first line written all over them, and I would hope Benning would pick one of them, if the option presented itself...…..

It is a rub, I think all of us are fighting with, and which Benning has to decide on at the draft. This U-18 will help with that decision, but with Dach and Zegras not playing, it will be incomplete, as will the darkhorse, Seider, who plays for Germany and is not playing against these guys. So, I think this tournament my help, but Benning rankings, will most likely have been done prior to this tournament, and this tournament will only tweak that list.

As Joe says...……….In Benning we trust, is a solid call, as it sure is tight, and a mistake could easily be made.

I hope everyone remembers, how confused we are, and how many cherries are in the bowl, because it will be easy to second guess, and with all these guys so close together, and the ranking agencies, even having problems, one could hardly even blame Edmonton, if they either picked a good one or another flop.

Hopefully, these guys will continue to separate themselves a little more in this tournie……...

* Just a note, that really has raised its ugly head in the Stanley Cup playoffs, but the small guys are sure having a tough time of it out there. The playoffs are just such a different beast, and the intensity just gets ramped up, and the ice shrinks. Wingers crash the net, and the boards the way they did not in the regular season. So players, of what ever size must be able to handle it. The whistle gets put away to some degree...….it is just a different game 

So, what do you do, draft a Shmurf every year because they are the BPA? I think at some point, the size of your team matters, and there has to be at the very least a compromise between size, skill and speed...…….I don't have the answer, so I will just sit back and hope, and criticize Benning if he is wrong!

Much easier, if you get my point.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Tryamkin has stated he is comfortable both sides, prefers RH, and plays both sides.

Apparently Benning is in Sweden at this tournament.

The work continues.

I wonder how many other GMs are there in person? 

From everything I've seen so far I don't think I'll be disappointed with the pick, there's a few Fs and likely one of Broberg or Soderstrom available so a need gets filled with one of the BPAs anyway. 

Still leaning to a defence position tho, we're still too weak there and its always easier to find Fs in free agency. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is my dilemma

Look at the Canuck future line-up, we definitely need to draft a RHD, and we may never be in the position to pick a high end Dman again, in the foreseeable future, so I think if it is not a reach, then that is for sure one possibility. But on the other hand, there are players in the 32-45 OA spot, that could fill that spot. The question is floor and ceiling, and what the real difference is between 10 OA and those in the second round? That is why, I would love Benning to get that late 1st, because we could pick both Thompson and Korczak, and be fairly comfortable that we have another top 4 RHD in our midst. 

On the other hand, if Benning is sitting at 10 OA, and we are looking at Dach, Zegras, Krebs and Boldy, well they all have first line written all over them, and I would hope Benning would pick one of them, if the option presented itself...…..

It is a rub, I think all of us are fighting with, and which Benning has to decide on at the draft. This U-18 will help with that decision, but with Dach and Zegras not playing, it will be incomplete, as will the darkhorse, Seider, who plays for Germany and is not playing against these guys. So, I think this tournament my help, but Benning rankings, will most likely have been done prior to this tournament, and this tournament will only tweak that list.

As Joe says...……….In Benning we trust, is a solid call, as it sure is tight, and a mistake could easily be made.

I hope everyone remembers, how confused we are, and how many cherries are in the bowl, because it will be easy to second guess, and with all these guys so close together, and the ranking agencies, even having problems, one could hardly even blame Edmonton, if they either picked a good one or another flop.

Hopefully, these guys will continue to separate themselves a little more in this tournie……...

* Just a note, that really has raised its ugly head in the Stanley Cup playoffs, but the small guys are sure having a tough time of it out there. The playoffs are just such a different beast, and the intensity just gets ramped up, and the ice shrinks. Wingers crash the net, and the boards the way they did not in the regular season. So players, of what ever size must be able to handle it. The whistle gets put away to some degree...….it is just a different game 

So, what do you do, draft a Shmurf every year because they are the BPA? I think at some point, the size of your team matters, and there has to be at the very least a compromise between size, skill and speed...…….I don't have the answer, so I will just sit back and hope, and criticize Benning if he is wrong!

Much easier, if you get my point.

I don't think we will need to. I know a lot of people are high on Lassi Thomson but he doesn't project to be anything more than 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman. Personally I think he deserves to go late second based on my prediction of his upside. If you have a high second pick we should be swinging for the fences and Thomson is not that guy imo. 

Seider is currently playing in the DEL playoff finale against Red Bull Munich. They are currently down one game but playing again today. I wonder if any Canucks scouts are there to watch...

I think you are right about this fact of the playoffs. Skill wins you games in the regular season. It is the combination of grit/size/heart that will still determine your playoff success. This fact has never changed over the years. I am not against drafting Caufield as he will be a good one but the scouting staff better be prepared to see if he will disappear when the going gets tough and physical. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/18/2019 at 10:18 PM, Outsiders said:

Boldy's two way game along side Horvat would really make them a good combo. I also see Boldy's offensive game to be like Horvats once he makes the show. Just gets better every single year. Really hoping we select Boldy!

He's my guy as well. I could see him playing alongside Petey and Boes and doing very well.

• Cheers 1