The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Hasn’t looked as good as Boldy

yes Boldy and Caufield have looked awesome... I think they will likely be gone at 10 given how well they have played...

will cozens fall? how is he looking? each won't fall, Krebs was ranked 7-12 so he may be there- but this bribers guy may be a real player... so hard to tell- Judd and Jim should be scouting the $&!# out of the US, CAN and SWE teams

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Isam said:

Ahahaha. What about kucherov, provorov, malkin, panarin or a host of other russians. But they dont count right.? Dumb argument because each hockey player is different. But it is much fun to group people together and say they are all the same.

How many swedes give up an nhl career for another league? How many canadians, americans, finns, or germans? 

we arent talking “couldnt get an nhl job” either. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify

So many great choices, but we don't even know the choices yet. Caufield could skyrocket into the Top 5. Podkolzin could drop like a rock. The U18 is helping the ranking of players like Boldy, Turcotte, Krebs, York, Broberg and Soderstrom. Makes things difficult to judge not being able to see Kakko and Seider play against the other prospects.  

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If Podkolzin is available at 10 he’s easily the BPA. Guy has the skill to go 3rd overall.

If teams pass on him, then the reason is obvious. 

Russian players are too much of a wildcard in the first round. They might be the greatest player in the draft, but that doesnt help if hes playing in Kazakstan. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This could be an interesting situation. Thinking about Podkolzin, great player in the KHL, was projected Top 3 all year, but Russian players are risky. I wonder if other players rise in the rankings (with the WHL playoffs and U18), and some fall, like Podkolzin.

Say this is the Top 9:

Hughes

Kakko

Byram

Caufield

Turcotte

Krebs

Boldy

Dach

If the Canucks have a choice between Podkolzin, Zegras, Cozens, Broberg or Soderstrom, who do they take? Do they take the Top 3 Russian that falls into their lap? Or do they take the safe pick? Benning and his group have a tough task in judging BPA.

16 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

How many swedes give up an nhl career for another league? How many canadians, americans, finns, or germans? 

Look up Keith Tkachuk; Winnipeg Jets. Eric Lindros?

N Americans hold their teams hostage for contract demands, prima donna posturing of the best situation for themselves. Those guys flucked their teams in such a way they impacted the entire NHL balance of power. 

Ryan O'Reilly? Ryan Kesler?? Roberto Luongo???

Shea Weber signed a $120 million dollar offer sheet.

The reason Russians bolt is because our salaries are regulated as 2 way on ELC deals. $80K and $115K in the AHL when they can make five and ten times the income in the KHL. The problem has to do with salary competitiveness. Its systemic, a global economy. Not related to spoiled ''Russian factor'' selfish attitudes. Swedes stay in the NHL because they cannot make that kind of money in the SHL. Finn's in the Liiga... Russians can make salaries that sometimes outcompete the NHL. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

If teams pass on him, then the reason is obvious. 

Russian players are too much of a wildcard in the first round. They might be the greatest player in the draft, but that doesnt help if hes playing in Kazakstan. 

That’s like saying teams passed on Zadina and Hughes for a reason. Some teams draft for position and in a couple years will probably regret it. There’s an abundance of highly ranked centers. Most of which shouldn’t go before Podkolzin but very well could if a team is drafting premium positions. As well as some dmen and teams needing a boost on the backend. Sure the Russian factor might play into some teams minds but those could be the reasons you got the biggest score in the draft because the skill is undeniable.

35 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

So do you get scared of drafting Ovechkin or Malkin and decide to draft next BPA in Cam Barker or Andrew Ladd?

3 hours ago, Isam said:

Ahahaha. What about kucherov, provorov, malkin, panarin or a host of other russians. But they dont count right.? Dumb argument because each hockey player is different. But it is much fun to group people together and say they are all the same.

I don't know if you are trying to turn this into some big argument with that poster but he is true in that more Russians bale on the NHL than any other players from other countries. That makes some people, including some scouts and GMs, very gun shy about picking them. Wasn't it Gillis that would never take a Russian?

It is a thing whether you like the theory or not.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

It's not just Kovalchuk and Radulov.  It's Nichushkin leaving because he didn't want to play for Ruff.  It's Burmistrov bolting (twice) because he didn't like his role.  It's Grigorenko refusing to report back to the Q as a 19 year old and Kostitsyn getting suspended because he didn't want to play in the AHL.  It's Komarov (leaving twice), Datsyuk (leaving with a year left on a 35+ contract), and Shipachyov (terminating his contract the second he was headed to the AHL).  Sure, there are family reasons, but do you see any Swedes or Finns bailing out early and leaving their teams with empty cap hits? 

It's Varlamov and Bobrovsky publicly threatening to go to the KHL during contract negotiations to gain leverage.  It's this attitude:

Podkolzin is not Ovechkin or Malkin.  Ovechkin and Malkin were never in the conversation of dropping to #10.  They were not possible candidates for #3.  They were like McDavid/ Eichel going #1 and #2.  Nobody is thinking they could still get one outside of top two.  Not to mention both were committed to coming to North America and did so as soon as they were able.

Podkolzin is much closer to Nichushkin, who also had top 5 talent and was an incredible athlete at 6'4" (Podkolzin is 6'1").  Their draft year stats:

Nichushkin: 6pts in 18 KHL games, 10pts in 15 VHL games, 8pts in 9 MHL games.

Podkolzin: 0pts in 3 KHL games, 5pts in 14 VHL games, 8pts in 12 MHL games.

Assuming that Byram, Hughes and Kakko will be long gone before #10, then at least three of Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Boldy, Turcotte, Krebs, Caufield, Kaliyev or Newhook will be available.  And that's if no one before us goes off the board, or if we don't want a D like Soderstrom, Broberg or Harley.  Want a project?  Kaliyev scored 31 goals as an OHL rookie and has 51 goals and 102pts in 67 games this year, and he has a June birthday.  Concerned about his consistency and two-way play?  Well, you can stash him in the AHL for three years while he works on his game.  Unlike Podkolzin, he's got no choice but to figure things out with the team that drafts him.

It's one thing if you got a guaranteed superstar like Ovechkin, or if you want to take a flyer with a late second like Kucherov.  Want to swing for the fences, take Dorofeyev at #40.  But stay away from using a top 10 pick on a guy who can use the KHL against you any time he's unhappy. 

Excellent post. 

• Upvote 2

I would be okay with drafting a Russian, outside of the 1st Round. Look at Kucherov, drafted in the 2nd. The 1st pick is way too important for this team, so I kind of hope they wouldn't take Pod, even if he dropped to #10. Just too risky. I would love to get Caufield, the offense is just too great, but I really doubt he falls to #10. Otherwise I'd be very happy with Boldy, Turcotte or Krebs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Look up Keith Tkachuk; Winnipeg Jets. Eric Lindros?

N Americans hold their teams hostage for contract demands, prima donna posturing of the best situation for themselves. Those guys flucked their teams in such a way they impacted the entire NHL balance of power. 

Ryan O'Reilly? Ryan Kesler?? Roberto Luongo???

Shea Weber signed a $120 million dollar offer sheet.

The reason Russians bolt is because our salaries are regulated as 2 way on ELC deals. $80K and $115K in the AHL when they can make five and ten times the income in the KHL. The problem has to do with salary competitiveness. Its systemic, a global economy. Not related to spoiled ''Russian factor'' selfish attitudes. Swedes stay in the NHL because they cannot make that kind of money in the SHL. Finn's in the Liiga... Russians can make salaries that sometimes outcompete the NHL. 

Every guy you mentioned still played in the NHL. They didn't bolt to some other league.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This could be an interesting situation. Thinking about Podkolzin, great player in the KHL, was projected Top 3 all year, but Russian players are risky. I wonder if other players rise in the rankings (with the WHL playoffs and U18), and some fall, like Podkolzin.

Say this is the Top 9:

Hughes

Kakko

Byram

Caufield

Turcotte

Krebs

Boldy

Dach

If the Canucks have a choice between Podkolzin, Zegras, Cozens, Broberg or Soderstrom, who do they take? Do they take the Top 3 Russian that falls into their lap? Or do they take the safe pick? Benning and his group have a tough task in judging BPA.

That is actually quite possible and makes we want to trade for 11,12 to go with 13.  If that is what is remaining I think you go with Podkolzin with Cozens/Zegras a close second/third.  

Doesn’t it feel like the best player in this draft could be anywhere from 1-12?

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would be okay with drafting a Russian, outside of the 1st Round. Look at Kucherov, drafted in the 2nd. The 1st pick is way too important for this team, so I kind of hope they wouldn't take Pod, even if he dropped to #10. Just too risky. I would love to get Caufield, the offense is just too great, but I really doubt he falls to #10. Otherwise I'd be very happy with Boldy, Turcotte or Krebs.

Caufield’s height (5’7”) should be just as big of a wild card as Podkolzin’s Russian factor. I don’t see either being an issue in the end.

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So many great choices, but we don't even know the choices yet. Caufield could skyrocket into the Top 5. Podkolzin could drop like a rock. The U18 is helping the ranking of players like Boldy, Turcotte, Krebs, York, Broberg and Soderstrom. Makes things difficult to judge not being able to see Kakko and Seider play against the other prospects.  

Well seider and kakko both played in men's leagues, which is tougher competition...and they both played amazing. So that's something at least.