The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

The guy said he doesn’t draft Russians and in 2004 the draft went

Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, Ladd

I was only asking if he’s so scared to draft Russians what would he have done in 2004. Does he pass on both Ovi and Malkin for the guys that went after them. Just trying to find out how crazy he is to pass up great talent because of nationality and fear.

Podkolzin is hardly OV or Geno. If he was we wouldnt be having this discussion because he would be going “top three” like you claim he should. 

On 4/20/2019 at 7:18 AM, Outsiders said:

Anybody hewer isn't sold yet on Broberg, I suggest you watch this. Huge potential

I watched the highlights and was impressed, not to say very impressed. What really  stood out for me was

1. his wrist shot from the blueline beating goalies easily several times. Wrist shot was accurate and strong.

2. exceptional skating

3. physical presence.

I really like the comparison with Brent Burns. After watching the video Brent Burns instantly came to my mind.

It seems like he is one of the most controversial players in this years draft. Some scouting services are very high on him, especially Button and Bob Mc Kenzie. Other scouting services / prospect evaluators are less high on him, pointing to his suspect decision making with the puck / lack of hockey IQ.

Hannah Stuart | The Score

Philip Broberg could be a divisive player in the rankings this year. He’s ranked as high as fifth overall in some rankings, while others — including ISS — see him ranked in the back half of the draft. Jeremy Davis from Canucks Army and JD Burke of Elite Prospects don’t even have him in the first round of his mid-season rankings.

That seems to be because Broberg has tantalizing physical attributes — a 6’3” frame and blazing speed — but seems to lack the hockey IQ to make best use of those attributes. He had a standout performance at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, but produced just nine points in 41 games in the Allsvenskan.

One scout described Broberg as “A Swedish defenceman version of Jake Virtanen.” Still, if Broberg drops at the draft, then figures his game out, he could make a lot of teams look silly, because he has tremendous raw talent.

Cam Robinson from dobber prospects has him currently at #20.

https://dobberprospects.com/cam-robinsons-2019-nhl-draft-rankings-april-2019/

Key questions for me are:

1. Does he meet some of the most important criteria of the Canucks scouting staff?

2. How does his game translate to the pro-level / NHL level?

3. Will he ever tap his full potential?

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

A defenseman lost in all this is Lassi Thomson. I really hope we draft him with our 2nd round pick. Reminds me of Sami Salo.

Lassi Thomson (Kelowna Rockets) 6’0 187lbs

He began the 2018-19 season scoring 19 points (7g-12a) in 25 games with 10 of those coming on the PP. He is mostly utilized in offensive situations for Kelowna, allowing him to show off his creativity at high speed.

Why should my team draft him?

1. He is the most dynamic draft eligible defenseman from the WHL.
  2. He is a high volume shooter and loves to direct pucks to the net however he can.
  3. He has a high wind up slapper which can be a fantastic PP weapon.

Why should my team leave him alone?

1. High offensive upside. Low defensive awareness and positioning.
  2. His decision making can be suspect at times too. His creativity leads to turnovers based teammates not expecting poor passes.

If he can round out his defensive game I would love to get him in the 2nd round.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

most likely he will become a anaheim duck at draft day:

Number 1- Matt Boldy (USA NTDP)

I’ve got a feeling that Matthew Boldy will be an Anaheim Duck at the 2019 NHL draft. A 6’2 185lb winger who checks almost all the boxes that Bob Murray looks for in his players. He’s responsible defensively, he’s a big-bodied guy who isn’t afraid to get into the dirty spots of the ice. He’s not selfish consistently looking for an open passing option but not overly afraid to shoot the puck.

Boldy also excels at screening the goaltender, blocking out the sun while also having a tendency to tip pucks. Boldy is a quick player who has a pretty graceful stride for a bigger body, I think Boldy will be a good NHL player but doesn’t exactly have the highest ceiling. He seems like the low-risk type player that Murray frequently takes, he may not set the world on fire, but he’ll at least try and at the very least might be able to make a few sparks.

Team Fit- 6/10- He’s not a center, he’s a winger, but he fits all the other intangibles that Murray frequently looks for.

Likelihood- 9/10- I think he’s the most likely option for the Ducks short of them winning a lottery spot. I think that he’s not a high-ceiling enough for some of the other teams to take him over the other options meaning he will likely be available anywhere in the 8-11th range that the Anaheim Ducks are likely to pick.

28 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

most likely he will become a anaheim duck at draft day:

Number 1- Matt Boldy (USA NTDP)

I’ve got a feeling that Matthew Boldy will be an Anaheim Duck at the 2019 NHL draft. A 6’2 185lb winger who checks almost all the boxes that Bob Murray looks for in his players. He’s responsible defensively, he’s a big-bodied guy who isn’t afraid to get into the dirty spots of the ice. He’s not selfish consistently looking for an open passing option but not overly afraid to shoot the puck.

Boldy also excels at screening the goaltender, blocking out the sun while also having a tendency to tip pucks. Boldy is a quick player who has a pretty graceful stride for a bigger body, I think Boldy will be a good NHL player but doesn’t exactly have the highest ceiling. He seems like the low-risk type player that Murray frequently takes, he may not set the world on fire, but he’ll at least try and at the very least might be able to make a few sparks.

Team Fit- 6/10- He’s not a center, he’s a winger, but he fits all the other intangibles that Murray frequently looks for.

Likelihood- 9/10- I think he’s the most likely option for the Ducks short of them winning a lottery spot. I think that he’s not a high-ceiling enough for some of the other teams to take him over the other options meaning he will likely be available anywhere in the 8-11th range that the Anaheim Ducks are likely to pick.

Isn't Zegras similar to Boldy with the added benefit of potentially being a center? Or are we assuming Zegras is gone before their pick? Which is perfectly reasonable. The 4-10 range is very unpredictable.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Not impressed with the so called #3 ranked player in this upcoming draft...the Russian player

I have a feeling hes going to fall. The interviews are going to be key for this kid. If he interviews well and teams feel that he wants to play in the nhl, then he will be picked top 10 no doubt. If not i can see him slipping to late teens early 20s.

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Isn't Zegras similar to Boldy with the added benefit of potentially being a center? Or are we assuming Zegras is gone before their pick? Which is perfectly reasonable. The 4-10 range is very unpredictable.

You are right.

The hockey analyst covering the anaheim ducks is assuming that Zegras is gone before the ducks pick at #9,. It is more likely for him that Boldy would be available at #9 than Zegras.

15 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes, to a point.

Clear BPA, absolutely. Absolutely!  And trust your scouts as to BPA. Columbus passed on Puljujarvi, and seems wise to have done so.

But D, PMD's & RHD especially in particular are also the single hardest position to fill adequately. And cost the most; see Erik Karlsson both trade, and what he will command this year UFA. They are not generally available by means other than the draft. Ottawa received a first-round pick in 2019 or 2020, a second-round pick in 2019, forwards Chris Tierney, Josh Norris and Rudolfs Balcers, defenseman Dylan DeMelo and two conditional draft picks. The Sharks also get forward Francis Perron.

Teams that make a routine of drafting good D have much lower lows than teams that struggle to fill the position.

And there is different criteria relating to evaluating who is BPA among D.  Broberg is the best athlete. Up with Dahlin. But certainly does not have his puck wizardry. Critically, does he have puck ''composure?'' Byram has both those  things, and a shot. And plays well defensively.  Puck composure being the thing we drafted in Juolevi. Do they cough up the puck when being fore-checked, close out oncoming forwards, make the right pass on zone exits?  Byram is #1 in my rating, Soderstrom #2 plus he's a RHD.

If one of the ''dynamic'' forwards, say Dach or Podkolzin, are available at 10? We should take him. Last year I wanted Boqvist. But Benning, seemingly correctly I might add, identified Hughes as more dynamic, BPA. This year Soderstrom will be a good pick. And we may not get a chance to draft one like him for another 5 years. 10? Whereas there will be forwards who can score more readily available.  

Its been twenty five plus years I have been watching the Canucks. We have yet to draft a top pairing RHD. Go figure? Drafting lefty Mattias Ohlumd 13th worked out for us. 

^ makes a lot of sense to me. Watching these playoffs its clear we are going to need d who can read the play very well and deal with fast transition teams, otherwise we'll have guys doing pylon impressions like we're seeing right now on established teams getting crushed in the 1st round. WPG and PITs looked helpless at times. e.g. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

13 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Korzack, Tracey & Newhook are really growing on me.

Brayden Tracey has that 'it' factor, kind of like Caufield. He just makes plays. And he's been more engaged along the walls + in the Dzone than when I saw him earlier in the year too.

Korzack doesn't have the upside that Thomas Harley has, but I really like his poise. Doesn't seem to panic with the puck when he's under pressure. He "puts out fires" as Weisbrod would say. 

Now here's a question for everyone; Newhook or Krebs? I go back & forth.

Krebs is more industrious, but I think I might give the edge to Newhook. Better skater & better shot. Although in fairness to Krebs, they've been used differently. 

Tracey has looked like a man among boys at times out there...we need another first round pick to nab him after taking Soderstrom or a faller like Cozens or Podkolzen or maybe even Byram...

The NHL.com has Tracey at #21 for NA skaters...all the other rating services have him out of there top 31 overall ...but I don't see him making it out of the first round....if we could get a mid to late 1st rounder for Sutter and say Goldy ...or even better throw in Erikkson but retain some salary....

Tracey may be as good as anyone in this draft...even Hughes...

I would try for Rees with our second round pick...if we came away with Tracey, Rees and Soderstrom I would be a very happy man...!

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Tracey has looked like a man among boys at times out there...we need another first round pick to nab him after taking Soderstrom or a faller like Cozens or Podkolzen or maybe even Byram...

The NHL.com has Tracey at #21 for NA skaters...all the other rating services have him out of there top 31 overall ...but I don't see him making it out of the first round....if we could get a mid to late 1st rounder for Sutter and say Goldy ...or even better throw in Erikkson but retain some salary....

Tracey may be as good as anyone in this draft...even Hughes...

I wouldnt go quite that far, but i agree this u18 might vault him into the late first round. And up until this tournament i would have been surprised if he was a 1st rounder.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

there are 3 tiers in the top 14 or so...

hughes

kaako

byram

dach

turcotte

zegras

boldy

cozens

caulfield

broberg

krebs

soderstrom

podkolzin

newhook

Um Krebs and podkolzin are for sure in the tier two and I'd put broberg down in the next tier.

Podkolzin is a top 5 talent without a doubt. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Um Krebs and podkolzin are for sure in the tier two and I'd put broberg down in the next tier.

Podkolzin is a top 5 talent without a doubt. 

Yeah this is the first time ive seen him ranked lower than 5.

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah this is the first time ive seen him ranked lower than 5.

Ya, I get the Russian factor is huge and could lead to him dropping but I'd be happy nabbing him at 10 if he fell... even if it took him 3 years to get over. Who knows maybe another Russian will help tryamkin return haha. 

2 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Ya, I get the Russian factor is huge and could lead to him dropping but I'd be happy nabbing him at 10 if he fell... even if it took him 3 years to get over. Who knows maybe another Russian will help tryamkin return haha. 

Oh for sure. I could see him dropping as far as low 20s if his interviews dont go well. But you cant put him in a lower class because of that. He still has top 5 talent.