The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

10 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

there are 3 tiers in the top 14 or so...

hughes

kaako

byram

dach

turcotte

zegras

boldy

cozens

caulfield

broberg

krebs

soderstrom

podkolzin

newhook

I definitely agree with almost all of this. I would just make a couple tweaks. I see York as belonging in that third tier as well (him laying out Podkolzin today was a thing of beauty). And even though Broberg had a huge game today, I think I’d put him in that third tier as well.

As for Podkolzin, I doubt he belongs in that third tier. He definitely looked like he belonged there after today’s game, but taking his entire body of work into account I’m sure he belongs in the second tier. I haven’t personally seen enough of him to have a strong opinion though, but he had a mister performance at the Gretzky/ Hlinka tournament and I trust the scouts and analysts, all of which seem to have him in the top ten, if not five. 

The great thing is that I’ll happy if we draft any name on that list. This is a loaded draft.  

Edited by YearoftheNuck

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

But Nichuskin didn't fall he was taken the next pick.

He was ranked 5th or 6th that draft I believe. Yes...he did fall.

Craig Button had him at 5. ISS at 4. So yes...he did fall.

Consensus aggregate = 5th. He went 10th.  How did he not fall?

Anyway...the russian factor is real to a degree. Does not mean JB should not take the russian this year IF JB knows he will come over to play. I just personally would not take the russian....but my opinion really does mean as little as yours because they have pros to make the decisions.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

The thing I don’t understand is how this compares to previous drafts. Hughes is greatly outplaying many top players from the USDP in earlier years, even with his team being OP, yet he’s seen as if he were an equivalent to Nico Hischier. Not a bust, but not great for 1st OA. 

Then there’s the later players. Are 2-15 seen as potential superstars or 2nd liners, #3/4 dmen? If it’s the latter, isn’t it more common to have more top talent? 

13 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

He was ranked 5th or 6th that draft I believe. Yes...he did fall.

Craig Button had him at 5. ISS at 4. So yes...he did fall.

Consensus aggregate = 5th. He went 10th.  How did he not fall?

Anyway...the russian factor is real to a degree. Does not mean JB should not take the russian this year IF JB knows he will come over to play. I just personally would not take the russian....but my opinion really does mean as little as yours because they have pros to make the decisions.

McKenzie had him 6th in his final rankings. Nuke was never rated top 3 like Podkolzin. In fact most of the guys that went ahead of him were ranked ahead of him at the start or throughout most the year in 2013. 

Monahan, Lindholm & Horvat all C's that went ahead of him, Monahan & Lindholm were ranked ahead the majority of the year. There was also positional bias that played into it, only D's & C's were taken ahead of him from 5-9. 

Even if it was more to due with the Russian factor, he still went in the top 10. I concede its real to a degree, but its become less and less. If Nukes the last case it was still 2013.

I do think Podkolzin will fall a bit, with the C's & D's available. (wouldn't be surprised if he's not top 5). But Podkolzin has said his dream is to play in the NHL. Im not worried that he'll never come play.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

The thing I don’t understand is how this compares to previous drafts. Hughes is greatly outplaying many top players from the USDP in earlier years, even with his team being OP, yet he’s seen as if he were an equivalent to Nico Hischier. Not a bust, but not great for 1st OA. 

Then there’s the later players. Are 2-15 seen as potential superstars or 2nd liners, #3/4 dmen? If it’s the latter, isn’t it more common to have more top talent? 

It's certainly a tough one to gauge. Hughes could very well be an exceptional player, but the draft class just looks very promising this year and many of them are coming out of the US program which either he's bolstering or they're bolstering him or it's just a team full of great players which waters down Hughes's accolades. No matter which level they're playing at, the same few players have been stepping up and there hasn't really been a standalone amongst them. So while Jack Hughes has become the brand name #1 pick, someone like Turcotte may still end up being the better player, so I think this is where the Hischier comparison comes in with the fact that he looks like a player that could be surpassed despite being a very good player anyway.

• Cheers 1

I'm convinced Krebs will be a faller this year.

I know he played on a bad team, but very poor statistics this year. He's looked decent at U18's but not nearly as good as the USA big 5.

I see a lot of rankings with him in the top 10, but I see him being this year's Veleno. don't think he'll drop to 30 but I can see him dropping past 15, especially if teams in the 8-14 range decide put any emphasis on centre or D prospects

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I think its because we've been spoiled with Dahlin, Matthews/Laine, McDavid/Eichel, Mackinnon/Jones, exc. in recent years. He's above RNH/Hischier though, I'd think Hughes & Kakko would go #1 & #2 if they were in the 2017 class. (notwithstanding what we now know about Petey)

I don't think the later group is worse than previous years. It might even be better than last year TBH. Lots of good players from 2-15. This years NTDP class is one of the best ever.

Dach / Podkolzin / Turcotte / Byram all look like they could be '1st line' players, some people/teams might throw Cozens, Boldy or Zegras in that mix too. Then there's also Caufield & Kaliyev who have that upside but a bit of risk. Not to mention Spencer Knight who seems to be one of the better goalie prospects in awhile. (definite 1st rounder) 

Beyond that most of the guys probably project as 2nd line players, but you never know. This years first round has good depth I think.

Everyone's list is different, but I'd say it goes till around #20 in prospects you can feel pretty confident projecting as T6F's / T4D's.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

13 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I know he played on a bad team, but very poor statistics this year. He's looked decent at U18's but not nearly as good as the USA big 5.

I see a lot of rankings with him in the top 10, but I see him being this year's Veleno. don't think he'll drop to 30 but I can see him dropping past 15, especially if teams in the 8-14 range decide put any emphasis on centre or D prospects

I'd be surprised if he falls past 15. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if he falls out of the top 10.

Especially with the way Caufield & Boldy are playing. And with Newhook showing that he's one of Canada's better players at this level.

Although at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes before we pick. Its a weird year. 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think its because we've been spoiled with Dahlin, Matthews/Laine, McDavid/Eichel, Mackinnon/Jones, exc. in recent years. He's above RNH/Hischier though, I'd think Hughes & Kakko would go #1 & #2 if they were in the 2017 class. (notwithstanding what we now know about Petey)

I don't think the latter group is worse than previous years. It might even be better than last year TBH. Lots of good players from 2-15.

Dach / Podkolzin / Turcotte / Byram all look like they could be '1st line' players, some people/teams might throw Cozens, Boldy or Zegras in that mix too. Then there's also Caufield & Kaliyev who have that upside but a bit of risk. Not to mention Spencer Knight who seems to be one of the better goalie prospects in awhile. (definite 1st rounder) 

Beyond that most of the guys probably project as 2nd line players, but you never know. This years first round has good depth I think.

Everyone's list is different, but I'd say it goes till around #20 in prospects you can feel pretty confident projecting as T6F's / T4D's.

Jack Hughes, like his bother Quinn, should go first overall in any draft that doesn’t have Mc.david Mackinnon, or Pettersson.  These other top picks are nice players, but they aren’t elite difference makers.  I’d trade Bo + 2019 first + plus 2020 first to Jersey for Jack Hughes.  And still Jersey would hang up.  It’s like if the six team that picked ahead of us in 2018 offered their 2018 top pick for Quinn,  we’d hang up. 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Jack Hughes, like his bother Quinn, should go first overall in any draft that doesn’t have Mc.david Mackinnon, or Pettersson.  These other top picks are nice players, but they aren’t elite difference makers.  I’d trade Bo + 2019 first + plus 2020 first to Jersey for Jack Hughes.  And still Jersey would hang up.  It’s like if the six team that picked ahead of us in 2018 offered their 2018 top pick for Quinn,  we’d hang up. 

We wouldn't hang up if Dahlin was offered. 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

We wouldn't hang up if Dahlin was offered. 

I would.  Dahlin is a very good player, that’s for sure.  However, is he going to drive the offence (5 on 5) like Quinn Hughes?  Nope.  Quinn, like Jack, is a unique talent the league has not seen on D before. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I would.  Dahlin is a very good player, that’s for sure.  However, is he going to drive the offence (5 on 5) like Quinn Hughes?  Nope.  Quinn, like Jack, is a unique talent the league has not seen on D before. 

Well he already had 40 points as an 18 year old rookie. So I'd say yes.

The league has seen players like Quinn or better. Brian Leetch played, Bobby Orr played, Paul Coffey played, exc. I love Quinn, and I'm not going to put a ceiling on him, but I wouldn't go quite that far.

As for Jack, he is unique, plays like a McDavid-lite. But he's not a better prospect than Matthews was, probably not Eichel either. He could be a franchise player like that though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well he already had 40 points as an 18 year old rookie. So I'd say yes.

The league has seen players like Quinn or better. Brian Leetch played, Bobby Orr played, Paul Coffey played, exc. I love Quinn, and I'm not going to put a ceiling on him, but I wouldn't go quite that far.

As for Jack, he is unique, plays like a McDavid-lite. But he's not a better prospect than Matthews was, probably not Eichel either. He could be a franchise player like that though.

Watching Jack he reminds me of Barzel.  It’s like he’s playing ringette.  The puck is glued to his stick somehow. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Watching Jack he reminds me of Barzel.  It’s like he’s playing ringette.  The puck is glued to his stick somehow. 

Yeah he's alot of fun to watch. He's really improved his shot too, and he's not afraid to take the puck to the net or into traffic. 

He'll have an adjustment like Quinn, but he'll be an exciting player with his speed. He carries the puck like McDavid does.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Will be a lucky team to whoever he falls to then.

Just now, Canucks Curse said:

with how U-18s are going, here is how I feel about it min terms of rankings, not a mock draft

1. Hughes

2.Kaako

3.Byram

4.Turcotte

5.Boldy

6.Dach

7.Caufield

8.Zegras

9.Cozens

10.Podkolzin

11. Broberg

12. Krebs

13. Newhook

14.Soderstrom

I think that’s a fairly good list.  Do you think JB would pick a Russian at ten?  

13 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

with how U-18s are going, here is how I feel about it min terms of rankings, not a mock draft

1. Hughes

2.Kaako

3.Byram

4.Turcotte

5.Boldy

6.Dach

7.Caufield

8.Zegras

9.Cozens

10.Podkolzin

11. Broberg

12. Krebs

13. Newhook

14.Soderstrom

I could see cozens falling to 10 if someone is really high on broberg- given how rare it is to get a RHD let alone a big RHD who has hands and can skate. Cozens feels like the Cody glass of this draft- aces the eye candy test, but we aint selling jeans here.

Here is my mock

1. NJ- Hughes

2.NY- Kaako

3.CHI- Byram

4.AVS-Boldy

5. LA-Turcotte

6.DET-Zegras

7.BUF-Broberg

8. EDM- Dach

9. ANA- Caufield

10. VAN- Cozens

Edited by Canucks Curse