The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Looking through the prospects I’ll be content with whoever Benning, Brackett and co. pick at 10. The only players I’m leary of are Cole Caufield and Podkolzin. With Caufield the size is one thing, but the fact that he has more than twice as many as goals as assists is definitely a giant red flag.

Podkolzin, while he’s certainly a talent, given the Russian factor I could see teams passing on him and him slipping to us. If that happens I’m not sure I’d want the Canucks to take him if we might see him in 3 years.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

That might get it done but there’s no guarantee Byram is there at 4. I know if it were me I’d take Byram 3rd overall. So we could potentially give all that up and still not get the guy you’re trading up for.

The trade rod only happen if Byram was there.  Like the Subban for our 5th OA if PLD was still on the board. 

Byram could be selected at 4th, but that leaves Podz and he would be a heck of a player.  I dont know if Chi passes on Podz.  

Added to that, NYR loves them Russians, so Podz could go 2nd.  

Not likely, but the NYR often go off the board.  

I know it just discussion and speculation, but I find it interesting that whenever it's asked which player we should take, it's always BPA, but when it comes to other teams, it seems to mostly be based on team needs. It should be very possible that other teams will simply take what's best on the board (regardless of position) and work from a position of strength to hopefully fill a weakness.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Looking through the prospects I’ll be content with whoever Benning, Brackett and co. pick at 10. The only players I’m leary of are Cole Caufield and Podkolzin. With Caufield the size is one thing, but the fact that he has more than twice as many as goals as assists is definitely a giant red flag.

Podkolzin, while he’s certainly a talent, given the Russian factor I could see teams passing on him and him slipping to us. If that happens I’m not sure I’d want the Canucks to take him if we might see him in 3 years.

3 was at the beginning of this season. So the contract has 2 years left after the draft.

41 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I know it just discussion and speculation, but I find it interesting that whenever it's asked which player we should take, it's always BPA, but when it comes to other teams, it seems to mostly be based on team needs. It should be very possible that other teams will simply take what's best on the board (regardless of position) and work from a position of strength to hopefully fill a weakness.

Maybe, but the last couple drafts have kind of shot down this idea.

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

https://m.sport-express.ru/hockey/khl/reviews/intervyu-17-letnego-forvarda-ska-vasiliya-podkolzina-goly-podkolzina-krasivye-goly-hokkey-1458920/

Heres a Russian interview with Podkolzin. This is from September. 

Theres alot more, I just took a few snippets relating to playing in the NHL.

Sounds like he wants to play in the NHL but is waiting until his game rounds out and also matures as a man. Probably going to take the Kuznetsov route.

I think he feels he can develop his game more in Russia at this stage in his life and not worry about living in a new country, learning the language, etc..

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I've still yet to see a "meh" or any proof hes not interested in the nhl.  All I see is loyalty in his decision to fulfill his khl contract. Also I assume most pro athletes stay away from media, especially during big tournaments and playoffs. Would it be better if he told the reporter to &^@# off like Blake wheeler did?

That's a pretty "Meh" quote to me. How about something like "After my contract is up of course I'd like to go to the NHL, the best go there" or something of the sort. Do you expect him to come out and say "No I don't really want to go to North America" for it to be a meh quote? Of course quotes can be taken completely out of context so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. However he better have better quotes to give during the interview process or else GMs might be turned off.

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Any thoughts on trading up to 4th and taking Bryam?  Our 10th and Gaudette to Col for the 4th OA?  The are looking for a center behind Mack and they could still pick up a good center at 10.  

Bryam would be like drafting Hughes all over again, amazing.  

You know I was actually thinking the same thing. However I was thinking more around if he drops to 6th and still not picked. I was thinking 10th + Gaudette + 3rd (2019). Thinking that might get it done?

I do not want Podkolzin. Haven't really seen him play a game before, just watched highlights. But I recently watched the IIHF U18 game between USA and Russia and Pod was not good, invisible most of the time. I know he's ranked high, but I don't think he's worth using a Top 10 pick with the amount of talent in the Draft this year. 

I have been very impressed with Harley though. Krebs and Cozens have great chemistry and both have been pretty dominant. The USA players (Hughes, Caufield, Boldy, Turcotte, York, Zegras) have all been very good. 

Here's my Top 10 Preferences right now. I'll be happy with one of these players.

1. Hughes

2. Kakko

3. Caufield

4. Byram

5. Krebs

6. Turcotte

7. Boldy

8. Cozens

9. Zegras

10. Dach

23 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

I think most teams are doing best player available, but each of them just have different lists.

I don't think so. A lot of teams still draft by position. Look at the run on centres last year. If you tried to tell me most teams had Kotkaniemi or Hayton ahead of Svechnikov, Hughes, Tkachuk etc for any reason other than they play centre I would have to disagree.

Edited by Bitter Melon

11 minutes ago, TGokou said:

That's a pretty "Meh" quote to me. How about something like "After my contract is up of course I'd like to go to the NHL, the best go there" or something of the sort. Do you expect him to come out and say "No I don't really want to go to North America" for it to be a meh quote? Of course quotes can be taken completely out of context so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. However he better have better quotes to give during the interview process or else GMs might be turned off.

You mean like this

- The NHL is the dream of every hockeyplayer

Thats a direct quote from him earlier this year. We cant dismiss every Russian because a few of them have chosen to play in the khl. Keep in mind the majority of those who chose were below average anyway either overall or at time in their careers.

IF he is too risky to spend a high draft pick on so be it. Thats for benning and other GMs to decide, not some 70 yr old man parked in front of an IBM monitor claiming to be an alien.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, TGokou said:

It’s google translated from Russian so I would take it with a grain of salt. I don’t know any Russian but I still know enough to tell that’s a pretty bad translation;-)

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I don't know how anyone can define the BPA this year as the 3-12 spots are all over the place.  I've seen so many mock drafts and none of them have been the same except for the top 2, which everyone agrees on.  I anticipate and interesting draft with some big surprises.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't know how anyone can define the BPA this year as the 3-12 spots are all over the place.  I've seen so many mock drafts and none of them have been the same except for the top 2, which everyone agrees on.  I anticipate and interesting draft with some big surprises.

that is where all the scouts come in. each team may have a different list of bpa. same as us fans. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2