The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I like this delineation. 

Think about it this way - if the NHL were based in Greece or Latvia, where the language is completely different and the cultures are different, where would you want to develop? There, where it's not as comfortable but the level of hockey is higher, or where you are situated, where you feel comfortable, things are familiar, the hockey style is familiar and you get to grow up properly and perhaps even get some education that will serve you post-career?

I don't know. I'd take the latter, even though most of the more successful guys will take the first route. It also depends on the team drafting and the direction they want to take. 

Whoever drafts Podkolzin might want him to step in right away, which could create dissonance. He's an exceptionally talented two way player that can do it all and competes hard. Great vision, great feet, great sense.

I have a feeling he will impress at the combine other then the interviews I suppose

I am beginning to feel more and more that Podkolzin will drop maybe not all the way to us but out side the top 5. Watching his shifts what really jumps out at me is how strong he is for being 17 he is very good at man on man coverage whether he is on the O or D side of the puck.  Watching him play against his peers the player he reminds me of is Peter Forsberg. I'm by no means saying that he will be as good as Forsberg but I really see that explosive powerful stride when I watch him. He is a menace for any player who has the puck in a different colour sweater and when he gets it it's impossible to take it from him. Despite his low production, I am really beginning to see why so many scouts rank him so highly. 

The fact that he will develop in the KHL for the next 2 years is a definite concern. However I am coming around to the idea that he would be a perfect fit on Horvat's wing causing havok for other teams off the rush. 

• Upvote 1

Podkolzin kind of reminds me of the Tkachuks (more so Matthew), in the sense that down low & around the net is his office. 

I don't agree that he was invisible against the USA. I thought the details of his game were very strong. He had a beauty no look assist. Also pushed Boldy around (who's bigger than him) to win a board battle & get the puck out on another shift. I'd agree that he didn't jump out like you'd hope a consensus top 3 pick would, but this USA team is incredible.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

that is where all the scouts come in. each team may have a different list of bpa. same as us fans. 

THIS

I feel like when some people mention BPA they assume there is some fool proof master list that every GM recieves upon arrival at the draft. Personally when I talk about BPA I'm referring to Benning's list of best player available that he and our scouts have created. Not button. Not ISS.

• Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

THIS

I feel like when some people mention BPA they assume there is some fool proof master list that every GM recieves upon arrival at the draft. Personally when I talk about BPA I'm referring to Benning's list of best player available that he and our scouts have created. Not button. Not ISS.

The trouble is, that everyone yells and screams, working off of their own lists....:picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

The trouble is, that everyone yells and screams, working off of their own lists....:picard:

I learned my lesson after benning picked boeser over my guy (konecny). I was nit happy and said some harsh words. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Lots of debate on Caufield. 

He will score goals in the NHL, there's no doubt about it. How many he scores depends on his situation. He's got 40 goal potential like DeBrincat, but he won't get there if he has to carry his line. And at his size he's obviously not going to bring much else. 

For the Canucks? I'm unsure about him. He's pretty safe IMO b/c he'll score, but with him our top players are going to be smaller, which is concerning for the playoffs.

However my other thought is; at some point he might be clearly the BPA, & passing on him only b/c of size isn't smart.

For me it depends on who's there. Not my first choice, but we're adding goals to our team in taking him. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I learned my lesson after benning picked boeser over my guy (konecny). I was nit happy and said some harsh words. 

Same when I wanted Mittlestadt over Petey. Ultimately, it's management who selects who they think is BPA, not us. 

This year unlike many years I feel like management's gonna have some tough choices to make. So many players that fill a need. So many players with very similar stats that have been ranked interchangeably within the last year. Not that's it's never been like that, but where we're drafting also makes it difficult. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Same when I wanted Mittlestadt over Petey. Ultimately, it's management who selects who they think is BPA, not us. 

This year unlike many years I feel like management's gonna have some tough choices to make. So many players that fill a need. So many players with very similar stats that have been ranked interchangeably within the last year. Not that's it's never been like that, but where we're drafting also makes it difficult. 

Take the guy with the highest ceiling.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Take the guy with the highest ceiling.  

Highest ceiling? IMO, it's Broberg/Caufield, but I think there's much better choices at 10. 

I'd be cautious about Caufield. I wouldn't mind it if we did draft him, but the size thing, playoff time it's a different kind of game and we are seeing many of these undersized players in currently in the playoffs struggle.

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

LOL......mine was Hughes.....I wanted one of the other 2 defensemen...…...Dobson and the Edmonton guy (Bouchard?)

Funny how important it was back then, now I could care less...and can't even remember their names...….LOL, can't believe Benning did not go off the list I sent him...lol

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Caufield, Boldy, Podkolzin, Krebs, Zegras... at least one of these guys will be available!  YES!!!!!!!!!

Harley is another one.  I also would not be surprised to see Alex Newhook high on their list. 

The neat part is that as fans we get to use the 20/20 draft list. B)    It allows us to always be right. 

Every team has their own list and Jim has been right twice ,wrong twice and Hughes is still in flux.     OJ and Jake were definitely not the BPA. 

Edited by appleboy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Highest ceiling? IMO, it's Broberg/Caufield, but I think there's much better choices at 10. 

I'd be cautious about Caufield. I wouldn't mind it if we did draft him, but the size thing, playoff time it's a different kind of game and we are seeing many of these undersized players in currently in the playoffs struggle.

IMO he will be a player in the NHL so the chance of busting is really low. Question is whether he will be a a tweener 10 goal scorer or 40 goal scorer. I feel like a player that scores at a ppg has to at least be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL so that would set his floor. I'm not sure how effective he will be defensively so I can't comment on that aspect. More realistically he will be anywhere between 25-30 goals and that's fine by me. I don't see him as a play driver and he will benefit from having an excellent passer to help put him into prime scoring areas. If he has added grit factor then I'm definitely sold on him. As for the playoffs, having him on a line with Pettersson and Boeser would be a pretty soft line and he would probably fit better on a line with Horvat. Ideally I would like to see a tenacious speed checker type of player to fill out that top line.

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Thats gotta be Newehook/Caufield top 6 or bust guys but franchise potential. 

Caufield doesn't look like a franchise potential guy to me. He seems like a passenger on an insanely stacked team. I could be wrong of course but I think there will be players of equal or greater potential and higher floors available where we pick.

17 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Caufield doesn't look like a franchise potential guy to me. He seems like a passenger on an insanely stacked team. I could be wrong of course but I think there will be players of equal or greater potential and higher floors available where we pick.

Hes been a finisher at every level and been able to do it with a varied cast of line mates. I'm not saying he Is my first choice but scoring goals is a very hard thing to do with the consistency he has.

15 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Broberg with 3 assist game yesterday 

quote from Jeremy Davis (part of an report from Johnston published in the Province)

“More people are catching on to what the problems are (in prospects), the flags,” he said. “Like (in 2014) with Virtanen. Has size and skill but can’t think the game. You’re seeing this with Philip Broberg, who started with lots of flash, but he’s tumbled as people have watched him more.”

Seems like Button and Bob Mc Kenzie are wrong on Broberg having him ranked in the top 10 and other scouting services are right (Cam Robinson, The Score, JD Burke).

10 hours ago, Stamkos said:

Chicago wants to make one last run with their stale core, so it looks like they’ll be picking Cozens, who’s pretty much NHL ready

You can make a case that they take Byram at #3. They wanted to draft a LHD with their 1st round pick in last years draft but ended up with a RHD in Boqvist. They were eating pretty much goals last season. On the other side they were one of the powerhouses in the league with their top 3 forwards Kane, Toews, De Brincat. There is no need for them to add another scorer / winger. I feel it's more important for them to add some quality on the left side. I believe they pick Byram at #3.