The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Question: Why isn't Jamieson Rees ranked higher? He's been one of Canada's best players in the U18.

I'm hoping Benning can make a trade for another mid-late 1st.

to ? - Tanev and Gaudette (may have to add more?)

to VAN - mid-late 1st (Harley, York or Seider)

VAN #10 - Boldy or Krebs

VAN#20ish? - Harley or Seider

VAN - #40 - Beecher (to replace Gaudette)

Likely because the rankings came out before this tournament and he is a 5'10 center with 32 points in 37 games in juniors (not exactly standout junior numbers). However, I'm sure this tournament will raise some eyebrows and jump him into the 2nd round territory.

broberg and new hook with goals so far, both adding to their body of work, 

IMO Broberg, krebs, new hook > soderstrom

soderstrom looks like a mid first rounder 15-20

Caufield having an amazing tourney but he is a less complete player than Boldy or Turcotte - have to wonder how he will do defensively in the nil, I agree that he could be a great complementary player but won't carry a line, whereas krebs and newhook may carry a line.

the USA team is stacked and has played together a while so I would not let their eye popping numbers totally represent how good they are- hoping to see them play Canada...but I suspect they will beat us

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

if turcotte is the centre they wanted, wouldn’t they hope to get him at 4th pick. gaudette may have a good future but he may not either. they won’t want tanev, injury prone. 

i read the colorado fan’s boards and some want a centre and some want byram. i’m just saying that everyone is as confused as we are. i know i have no idea of who JB is looking at at 10.

IMO Gaudette is a very valuable piece to add to a deal.  If Chi passes on Byram, I dont think he gets past Det.  I think LA's pick isnt really on the block and with Cozens, Turcotte and Dach around, I see them taking a huge team need.  

Colorado is far more interesting.  They have a golden ticket without a huge team need.  They are on the upswing and might be more inclined to go with a player who is already an NHLer, but still on the entry level deal and a few years ahead of whomever they could pick at 4.  

Turcotte vs Gaudette.... well lots to discuss, but Gaudette is playing in the NHL now, has done very well in the lower ranks and cracked the NHL in his his first year of pro hockey.  

Gaudette is more of a sure thing, plus the 10th.... 

If Colorado was a non playoff team still rebuilding.... they keep the 4th.  But I think their window is now open.  

I am happy to keep Gaudette and the 10th, take Krebs and keep building.  Some want to move up and take Cozens, good idea.  I still want to add to the defence and no one player would do more from this draft to boost our defence than Byram.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

Ok. I'm not expecting him to be a lock next year, but if he's good enough that he has solid top 4 potential as a true defensive presence with upside, that's a win.

You see him being a partner to Quinn Hughes in the future?

I think Juolevi and Soderstrom could be a good pairing. Can Woo be good for Hughes?

Woo could be good with either Hughes or OJ.  He has the skating and physical presence while still providing offence.  

I do think Woo is a blue chip prospect who would.have been a 1st rounder had he not been injured for so many games in his draft year.  

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought Soderstrom played pretty well in the IIHF game I saw him play in. Nothing too flashy, but he seems like a smart player with good skating. Not the best Dman I';ve seen in this tournament though. IO believe York and Harley have been better.

I wonder if Soderstrom would be the BPA over a player like Krebs or Boldy at #10, for example. Yes, the Canucks need better D, but they need it sooner rather than later. It will take 2-3 years (probably) before we see Soderstrom or Broberg etc. lace 'em up for the Canucks as rookies. I think Benning may sign a UFA Dman this summer, to fill the need for the next few years. They've also got Hughes, Juolevi and Woo on their way up. Tryamkin is also still a future option.

If Boldy is available at our pick I'd be very disappointed if we didn't take him. Otherwise I'd be all for taking Soderstrom - and think he'd debut for us in 2020/21. :)

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Likely because the rankings came out before this tournament and he is a 5'10 center with 32 points in 37 games in juniors (not exactly standout junior numbers). However, I'm sure this tournament will raise some eyebrows and jump him into the 2nd round territory.

Ah, that's kind of what I thought. I imagine this tournament will give him a big boost in the rankings. I also noticed Caufield's stock has risen as well, although, not as much I thought it would. I believe he's at around #8 now. I'm guessing his size is still an issue with some experts. Who will Caufield become more like - Theo Fluery or John Gaudreau? One is a playoff performer.

I really am enjoying this tournament because it gives us a good idea how they play against the best players (peers). Makes me wonder how Kakko, Byram, Dach and Seider would do as well.  

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

with 8.4 mill. cap space available and the need to extend some players there is very limited leverage for Jim to get a top 4 D-Man in free agency.

There is alot of dead weight around and I would be happy to see some guys traded for a couple of pucks.  

I dont see our current roster remaining intact into training camp.  

At least I hope so.  Still cap management is a big factor moving forward.  

• Upvote 1

https://mobile.twitter.com/lassialanen/status/1120700123355516928?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1120700123355516928&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html%231120700123355516928

beauty shorthanded goal from my fav 2nd round target Patrik Puistola! I’m hoping if I post enough hype on the guy Benning sees it and we select him. I’ll forever claim that it worked for us getting Pettersson. You’re welcome!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Guys, has anyone seen Moritz Seider ? On the face of it, he looks an attractive option: he is 6'4 and almost 200 pounds already and just turned 18. Might add an extra inch or two, will definitely add another 20-30 pounds once his boy-body turns into a man-body. is a right hand shot defenseman - seems like the perfect guy to partner Quinn moving into the future, maybe our own Paryako. 

Already plays men's hockey, though its in Germany - still, is so far a +2, with 2 goals, 4 assists from 29 games....

Just now, canuckistani said:

Guys, has anyone seen Moritz Seider ? On the face of it, he looks an attractive option: he is 6'4 and almost 200 pounds already and just turned 18. Might add an extra inch or two, will definitely add another 20-30 pounds once his boy-body turns into a man-body. is a right hand shot defenseman - seems like the perfect guy to partner Quinn moving into the future, maybe our own Paryako. 

Already plays men's hockey, though its in Germany - still, is so far a +2, with 2 goals, 4 assists from 29 games....

He’s a big, right shot D man, who skates well and moves the puck well.  He’s got a physical side to his game as well.  This draft is wide open after the top two.  Guys, like Seider, if a team really likes them could go higher than where the “experts” predict.  As a result, we are very likely to get an equally exciting prospect at ten as do the Hawks at three.  We could very well draft Seider, and end up with a great young player.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I think because of where Seider is ranked (around #24), the Canucks would need to get an extra late 1st to get him. I've been hoping Benning would pile up the picks this Draft, but a couple extra 6ths seems to be his level of aggressiveness. Not written in stone yet, Benning could still do a Draft floor deal. I wonder if this is what he's waiting for? Can two GMs (out of the playoffs) discuss a future deal to make at the Draft?

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think because of where Seider is ranked (around #24), the Canucks would need to get an extra late 1st to get him. I've been hoping Benning would pile up the picks this Draft, but a couple extra 6ths seems to be his level of aggressiveness. Not written in stone yet, Benning could still do a Draft floor deal. I wonder if this is what he's waiting for? Can two GMs (out of the playoffs) discuss a future deal to make at the Draft?

Well Seider is all over the map, really. Hockeyprospects.com has him rated at #11, ahead of Soderstorm.

Future considerations & Elite Prospects have him at 17. ISS has him at #27. NHL central scouting has him ranked #6 amongst all European skaters. Ranked #21 by TSN...

9 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

I'd put him up basically on par with Sodertstrom as the 2nd best D after Byram.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure what lists you're looking at but quite a few have him more mid-late teens and some of the (IMO better) services have him right up in the 10-15 range with Soderstrom.

Just now, aGENT said:

Not sure what lists you're looking at but quite a few have him more mid-late teens and some of the (IMO better) services have him right up in the 10-15 range with Soderstrom.

Isnt that supposed to be Broberg ? 
Also, as 2nd best D, are you meaning in overall, or in the D-zone ? IMO, with our young D-crop of Quinn, Juolevi & Stecher being more of the offensive D-mould, we need more defensive defenseman with good outlet passing and some sandpaper to complement Woo moving forward.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I just checked the one site (MyNHLDraft) and noticed Seider dropped half a dozen spots. My guess is because he plays in Germany, and maybe because he's all over the place, no one really knows how to rank him. Seems kind of risky to use a 1st on. Or he could turn out to be the best D in the Draft :)

25 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Isnt that supposed to be Broberg ? 
Also, as 2nd best D, are you meaning in overall, or in the D-zone ? IMO, with our young D-crop of Quinn, Juolevi & Stecher being more of the offensive D-mould, we need more defensive defenseman with good outlet passing and some sandpaper to complement Woo moving forward.

Personally I'd swap Broberg (high teens) and Seider (late teens) on a lot of those lists. Soderstrom will likely remain in the 1-15 range.

I mean the 2nd best D in draft rankings.

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Woo is my favourite prospect not yet in the NHL... 

A bull with a good shot from the back end, and with a bit of nastiness in him... Believe he was around a point per game, so I'm sure there is a player in him.

Represents a lot of the things we are missing in our D-core...

According to posters, who gets to see him, he has 2nd pair potential....

i see woo as a second pairing D man with juolevi. if green moves hughes to R pairing with edler, that should be good until another R D is ready to take edler’s spot. i see woo as tanev’s replacement, when he is ready. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

There is alot of dead weight around and I would be happy to see some guys traded for a couple of pucks.  

I dont see our current roster remaining intact into training camp.  

At least I hope so.  Still cap management is a big factor moving forward.  

what teams do you see, giving up pucks for our injury prone or less than stellar players? i’ld love to know which teams can’t wait to give us good players or picks for our cast offs?

Edited by smithers joe
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

what teams do you see, giving up pucks for our injury prone or less than stellar players? i’ld love to know which teams can’t wait to give us good players for our cast offs?

In fairness, he never claimed we'd get good players back :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Chicago could very well throw a wrench in this kind of discussion taking Byram at #3. VAN would have acquired the 4th overall selection in the hope that Byram is there and all of a sudden he is not on the board at #4.

3. Bowen Byram

This could be the biggest sleeper pick for the Chicago Blackhawks at third overall. Bowen Byram is the top defensive prospect in the world going into this draft. It is well documented that the Hawks need help on the blue line and there is a possibility that they try to address the issue via the third overall pick.

Bowen Byram leads all defenseman in the 2019 NHL Draft rankings. He plays his junior hockey for the Vancouver Giants and turns 18 years old just a few weeks before the draft in June. In 67 games played he has 26 goals and 45 assists for 71 points from the blue line. Those are impressive numbers from the back end, even for junior hockey.

A guy like this might not come in and make the team right away like a Rasmus Dahlin or Charlie McAvoy did in their rookie years, but it shouldn’t take too long for him to jump into an NHL lineup. The only negative to the possibility of waiting for him to be ready is the age of the Blackhawks core. They might be a bit past their prime by the time Byram is truly ready but that is always the risk you take when you draft a defenseman. That is the hardest position to develop doing it the right way.

Byram is highly touted for his two-way game that will look to play heavy minutes once his career gets going. He is hopeful to be the kind of guy who plays in every situation in and excel in all three zones. He is often compared to Toronto Maple Leafs’ defenseman Morgan Rielly. Rielly is a top-flight player and could be in the conversation for the Norris Trophy which goes to the best defenseman in the league. If Byram ended up being even 80 percent as good as Rielly, that would be a huge success for whoever drafts him.

?

Chicago is not in a position where they need to pick for position at D. Gustafsson had 60 points this year, Duncan Keith 40. Its been years since we had a defenceman hit that productivity.

More to the point, they are regarded to have the single best defensive prospect pool in the NHL. We have Hughes & Juolevi? They have Boqvist and Jokiharju. Then behind that Beaudin & Ian Mitchell. Then behind that Chad Krys. Mitchell and Krys both had NCAA production approaching what Hughes produced. Then behind that a couple of less heralded guys, Lucas Carlsson is killing the AHL, looks NHL ready.

They may well pick Byram. He may be the best player on the board at that moment. But it wont be for need... 

McAvoy also played a year of college after he was drafted BTW.

• Upvote 1