Qwags

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

4 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

I want JB to trade up, so we can acquire D. Cozens , hes played amazing on team canada this past week ....he has so much potential, and since we cant get kakko or j hughes , cozens is the next best thing for what vancouver, would need

I don’t see the point in trading up and giving up good (core) assets to do so. We will get a good pick at #10, possibly Soderstrom. The top tier seems pretty set: Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Padkolzin, Dach, Byram and Zegras. We could possibly get Krebs, Boldy or Soderstrom (most likely). If we could gain more picks by dumping underperforming assets (Sutter, Goldobin, etc.) and salaries (Erikssen) for picks and UFA cash I’d be very happy. The cost to move up to 4th overall is likely too high. Add a top six winger and top four D in free agency and we look pretty good.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Go back a few posts and I referred to a few of the mock drafts and the speculative notes of the media types.  The ones I read or watched had Colorado looking for a center.  Turcotte was suggested to be a good fit in Colorado cause of his good two way game.  Thus I figured Gaudette could be a good trade bait along with our 1st.  

If Colorado is looking for a center to follow up after Mack ala Kesler and Hank,  and not a d man, they have a good young defence atm, then Gaudette is a great option.  

They get a good young cheap center with a ton of up side and whomever is at 10 a d we get Bryam to complete our defence, especially is Hughes moves to the right side next season.  

Win, win.  We have Madden and the swedish kid plus whomever JB gets in this draft.  Plus we can find a center in FA and have Grablund and Sutter to fill in along with Bo, Elias and Beagle.  

Chicago could very well throw a wrench in this kind of discussion taking Byram at #3. VAN would have acquired the 4th overall selection in the hope that Byram is there and all of a sudden he is not on the board at #4.

3. Bowen Byram

This could be the biggest sleeper pick for the Chicago Blackhawks at third overall. Bowen Byram is the top defensive prospect in the world going into this draft. It is well documented that the Hawks need help on the blue line and there is a possibility that they try to address the issue via the third overall pick.

Bowen Byram leads all defenseman in the 2019 NHL Draft rankings. He plays his junior hockey for the Vancouver Giants and turns 18 years old just a few weeks before the draft in June. In 67 games played he has 26 goals and 45 assists for 71 points from the blue line. Those are impressive numbers from the back end, even for junior hockey.

A guy like this might not come in and make the team right away like a Rasmus Dahlin or Charlie McAvoy did in their rookie years, but it shouldn’t take too long for him to jump into an NHL lineup. The only negative to the possibility of waiting for him to be ready is the age of the Blackhawks core. They might be a bit past their prime by the time Byram is truly ready but that is always the risk you take when you draft a defenseman. That is the hardest position to develop doing it the right way.

Byram is highly touted for his two-way game that will look to play heavy minutes once his career gets going. He is hopeful to be the kind of guy who plays in every situation in and excel in all three zones. He is often compared to Toronto Maple Leafs’ defenseman Morgan Rielly. Rielly is a top-flight player and could be in the conversation for the Norris Trophy which goes to the best defenseman in the league. If Byram ended up being even 80 percent as good as Rielly, that would be a huge success for whoever drafts him.

• Hydration 1

5 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I don’t see the point in trading up and giving up good (core) assets to do so. We will get a good pick at #10, possibly Soderstrom. The top tier seems pretty set: Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Padkolzin, Dach, Byram and Zegras. We could possibly get Krebs, Boldy or Soderstrom (most likely). If we could gain more picks by dumping underperforming assets (Sutter, Goldobin, etc.) and salaries (Erikssen) for picks and UFA cash I’d be very happy. The cost to move up to 4th overall is likely too high. Add a top six winger and top four D in free agency and we look pretty good.

with 8.4 mill. cap space available and the need to extend some players there is very limited leverage for Jim to get a top 4 D-Man in free agency.

31 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

with 8.4 mill. cap space available and the need to extend some players there is very limited leverage for Jim to get a top 4 D-Man in free agency.

I agree that we can’t afford EK and/or Panarin. But with dumping underperforming assets we could afford someone like Myers. Add him to Hughes, Edler, OJ, Woo, (Tryamkin I hope and Hutton), Soderstrom and Stetcher and we don’t look so bad.

15 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Podkolzin kind of reminds me of the Tkachuks (more so Matthew), in the sense that down low & around the net is his office. 

I don't agree that he was invisible against the USA. I thought the details of his game were very strong. He had a beauty no look assist. Also pushed Boldy around (who's bigger than him) to win a board battle & get the puck out on another shift. I'd agree that he didn't jump out like you'd hope a consensus top 3 pick would, but this USA team is incredible.

That beauty no-look assist was a bit of a fluke. He was behind the net and without looking just shoveled back in front, where a Russian player was waiting. All I've been seeing for several months is Podkolzin holding the #3 spot, so I was expecting to see what this kid could do, especially against a foe like the USA. I did notice his temper, which could be a good thing, but also bad, especially for a Russian player tempted to stay in Russia. 

37 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Do we actually have 8.4 or do we have more than that. On CapFriendly it says we have 8.3 but its lists Brogan Rafferty as 5.1 Mill cap hit. I'm not sure how that all works but i think we could have more like 13 mill in cap space

6 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

Do we actually have 8.4 or do we have more than that. On CapFriendly it says we have 8.3 but its lists Brogan Rafferty as 5.1 Mill cap hit. I'm not sure how that all works but i think we could have more like 13 mill in cap space

You guys are looking at this all wrong. Those cap numbers are for the end of this season. At the beginning of the off seasonwe could have as much as 27.1m in free space (30.6 if the cap raises to 83m).

Of course we will need to sign some of our own guys like boeser and possibly edler. 

But that 8.4 number means absolutly nothing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That beauty no-look assist was a bit of a fluke. He was behind the net and without looking just shoveled back in front, where a Russian player was waiting. All I've been seeing for several months is Podkolzin holding the #3 spot, so I was expecting to see what this kid could do, especially against a foe like the USA. I did notice his temper, which could be a good thing, but also bad, especially for a Russian player tempted to stay in Russia. 

Not really because he was following up the play & knew exactly where the guy was after the initial shot. Ive seen him make plays like this before.

I agree he wasnt a huge standout. Im not sold that hes a definite star player, but I think he'll be a good top 6 even if he doesnt hit his star potential.

Although last year, alot of ppl doubted Brady Tkachuk & his upside in the same kinda way. He didnt have amazing stats. And he looks like a great pick. 

Question: Why isn't Jamieson Rees ranked higher? He's been one of Canada's best players in the U18.

I'm hoping Benning can make a trade for another mid-late 1st.

to ? - Tanev and Gaudette (may have to add more?)

to VAN - mid-late 1st (Harley, York or Seider)

VAN #10 - Boldy or Krebs

VAN#20ish? - Harley or Seider

VAN - #40 - Beecher (to replace Gaudette)

A goal a period (Caufield). The Canucks could use that kind of production lol I've been very impressed with Caufield and Hughes obviously, but also Turcotte, Boldy, Krebs and Cozens. Any one of these guys would be great.  

36 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

A goal a period (Caufield). The Canucks could use that kind of production lol I've been very impressed with Caufield and Hughes obviously, but also Turcotte, Boldy, Krebs and Cozens. Any one of these guys would be great.  

Tons of talent to choose from... or I guess fall to us.

Hoping we can trade down a few spots if Benning really likes a player like Soderstrom. Ability to add another couple RHD shots in the draft would be massive.

5 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

How good is Jett Woo? This year admittedly I have had much less time to keep up with our prospects, this year. Is Woo good enough to be a lock on the NHL level yet? Does he project top 4? Third pairing?

Woo is my favourite prospect not yet in the NHL... 

A bull with a good shot from the back end, and with a bit of nastiness in him... Believe he was around a point per game, so I'm sure there is a player in him.

Represents a lot of the things we are missing in our D-core...

According to posters, who gets to see him, he has 2nd pair potential....

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

I thought Soderstrom played pretty well in the IIHF game I saw him play in. Nothing too flashy, but he seems like a smart player with good skating. Not the best Dman I';ve seen in this tournament though. IO believe York and Harley have been better.

I wonder if Soderstrom would be the BPA over a player like Krebs or Boldy at #10, for example. Yes, the Canucks need better D, but they need it sooner rather than later. It will take 2-3 years (probably) before we see Soderstrom or Broberg etc. lace 'em up for the Canucks as rookies. I think Benning may sign a UFA Dman this summer, to fill the need for the next few years. They've also got Hughes, Juolevi and Woo on their way up. Tryamkin is also still a future option.

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Chicago could very well throw a wrench in this kind of discussion taking Byram at #3. VAN would have acquired the 4th overall selection in the hope that Byram is there and all of a sudden he is not on the board at #4.

3. Bowen Byram

This could be the biggest sleeper pick for the Chicago Blackhawks at third overall. Bowen Byram is the top defensive prospect in the world going into this draft. It is well documented that the Hawks need help on the blue line and there is a possibility that they try to address the issue via the third overall pick.

Bowen Byram leads all defenseman in the 2019 NHL Draft rankings. He plays his junior hockey for the Vancouver Giants and turns 18 years old just a few weeks before the draft in June. In 67 games played he has 26 goals and 45 assists for 71 points from the blue line. Those are impressive numbers from the back end, even for junior hockey.

A guy like this might not come in and make the team right away like a Rasmus Dahlin or Charlie McAvoy did in their rookie years, but it shouldn’t take too long for him to jump into an NHL lineup. The only negative to the possibility of waiting for him to be ready is the age of the Blackhawks core. They might be a bit past their prime by the time Byram is truly ready but that is always the risk you take when you draft a defenseman. That is the hardest position to develop doing it the right way.

Byram is highly touted for his two-way game that will look to play heavy minutes once his career gets going. He is hopeful to be the kind of guy who plays in every situation in and excel in all three zones. He is often compared to Toronto Maple Leafs’ defenseman Morgan Rielly. Rielly is a top-flight player and could be in the conversation for the Norris Trophy which goes to the best defenseman in the league. If Byram ended up being even 80 percent as good as Rielly, that would be a huge success for whoever drafts him.

If the targeted player isnt there at 4 then no deal.  This does happen, PLD in the Mathews Draft is last time I can remember.  The rumour that floated out after was Subban for our pick if PLD was still available.  

I see no reason why JB would be adverse to moving up if the player he wanted was there.  The draft is in Vancouver and a splash is always welcome.  

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Question: Why isn't Jamieson Rees ranked higher? He's been one of Canada's best players in the U18.

I'm hoping Benning can make a trade for another mid-late 1st.

to ? - Tanev and Gaudette (may have to add more?)

to VAN - mid-late 1st (Harley, York or Seider)

VAN #10 - Boldy or Krebs

VAN#20ish? - Harley or Seider

VAN - #40 - Beecher (to replace Gaudette)

Likely because the rankings came out before this tournament and he is a 5'10 center with 32 points in 37 games in juniors (not exactly standout junior numbers). However, I'm sure this tournament will raise some eyebrows and jump him into the 2nd round territory.

broberg and new hook with goals so far, both adding to their body of work, 

IMO Broberg, krebs, new hook > soderstrom

soderstrom looks like a mid first rounder 15-20

Caufield having an amazing tourney but he is a less complete player than Boldy or Turcotte - have to wonder how he will do defensively in the nil, I agree that he could be a great complementary player but won't carry a line, whereas krebs and newhook may carry a line.

the USA team is stacked and has played together a while so I would not let their eye popping numbers totally represent how good they are- hoping to see them play Canada...but I suspect they will beat us

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

if turcotte is the centre they wanted, wouldn’t they hope to get him at 4th pick. gaudette may have a good future but he may not either. they won’t want tanev, injury prone. 

i read the colorado fan’s boards and some want a centre and some want byram. i’m just saying that everyone is as confused as we are. i know i have no idea of who JB is looking at at 10.

IMO Gaudette is a very valuable piece to add to a deal.  If Chi passes on Byram, I dont think he gets past Det.  I think LA's pick isnt really on the block and with Cozens, Turcotte and Dach around, I see them taking a huge team need.  

Colorado is far more interesting.  They have a golden ticket without a huge team need.  They are on the upswing and might be more inclined to go with a player who is already an NHLer, but still on the entry level deal and a few years ahead of whomever they could pick at 4.  

Turcotte vs Gaudette.... well lots to discuss, but Gaudette is playing in the NHL now, has done very well in the lower ranks and cracked the NHL in his his first year of pro hockey.  

Gaudette is more of a sure thing, plus the 10th.... 

If Colorado was a non playoff team still rebuilding.... they keep the 4th.  But I think their window is now open.  

I am happy to keep Gaudette and the 10th, take Krebs and keep building.  Some want to move up and take Cozens, good idea.  I still want to add to the defence and no one player would do more from this draft to boost our defence than Byram.  

• Upvote 1