The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

I think they need to get what they can for a handful of players, trade the dead weight, shed salary, re-do the UFA route with better players. Who cares if Sutter gets VAN a 4th. They would no longer have to pay him and it would open a spot for Gaudette. Same with Tanev, if he only gets VAN a 2nd or 3rd. Those are 2-3 extra picks at the VAN Draft this year. It should be about making adjustments this off season to create a playoff team. Sutter and Tanev are not a part of that plan, because they're usually injured every spring. This is why I wonder if Benning is over-valuing the players, expecting a 1st for Tanev? Please. They should get what they can before he completely shatters.

• Cheers 1

The draft is becoming so hard to predict. Last year was shocking and delightful to see Hughes drop to 7. I wonder if there will be any big movers into the top 10 this year that will bump someone unexpected to the Canucks. Right now the top 5 seem to be in place one or two may drop to 6-7 but these guys are all gone by the time the Canucks are on the board: Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Podkolzin and Byram. The rest is where it becomes unpredictable between about 5-12 it's anyone's guess. Pick 6 belongs to the Red Wings: they have Rasmussen and probably won't take another similar big body so I predict they take Cozens. The Number 7 belongs to Buffalo; again I think they pass on Dach with and go with the high upside Caufield. Number 8 belongs to Edmonton who takes Soderstrom because they need more D depth.No 9 belongs to Anaheim who likely take Boldy. That leaves Dach, Krebs Newhook or Zegras for the Canucks.I'd take Dach here as he could add a more physical presence to the Canucks lineup with a high ceiling. 

Ultimately, i'd rate this 6-12 category this way in order of who i'd like them to pick; if Turcotte or Podkolzin make it to 10, they have to sprint to the podium.

6. Caufield

7. Boldy

8.Cozens

9. Dach

10. Krebs

11. Soderstrom

12. Zegras

13. Newhook 

Edited by Bert Diesel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

If van is going D I'd hope they move down a few spots. Just so many good forwards available but as far as D go I'd go in the order of:

Byram - York - Seider - Soderstrom - Broberg

10 is a good spot to be as there will be 2-3 great players falling a bit, right into our laps.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Ah, that's kind of what I thought. I imagine this tournament will give him a big boost in the rankings. I also noticed Caufield's stock has risen as well, although, not as much I thought it would. I believe he's at around #8 now. I'm guessing his size is still an issue with some experts. Who will Caufield become more like - Theo Fluery or John Gaudreau? One is a playoff performer.

I really am enjoying this tournament because it gives us a good idea how they play against the best players (peers). Makes me wonder how Kakko, Byram, Dach and Seider would do as well.  

Johnny had 9 points in 11 games in one playoff run with Calgary. Hasn't been great in his last couple of opportunities, but still has 12 points in 20 games in the playoffs. The thing is when teams are focusing on shutting him down, it should open up someone else on the team to shine (like when McDavid was being locked down, Draisaitl stepped up), but it seems no one did in Calgary despite the season they've had. I think I might just be a little more annoyed at the rest of the team if I was a Calgary fan than pinpointing it solely on Gaudreau where without him, who knows if they even make the playoffs (it's not as simple as saying they have a few 70-80 point guys after Gaudreau anyway because without Johnny, it would create a trickle down effect on the offense).

So if Caufield can put up Gaudreau production (they don't play a similar style), then IMO it doesn't matter if he will be a playoff performer as we can't pass up on a guy with 100 point potential. The issue I have with Caufield is that yes he is small, but also the fact that he doesn't really have all too many assists with his goal production. Will he be more of a very good support guy that needs to be set up or can he create plays on his own? If he isn't generating on his own, then with his size, he would have a very high bust potential. He might actually look decent on a team with McDavid though if Edmonton takes him, but with Caufield and Yamamoto, they're going to need to protect them (good thing they have Lucic right?). This scouting will have to be done by the Canucks organization, but from an average fan's perspective, I'm not sure if he will be the right fit for us to be the best that he can be and to better our team.

From what I've seen from the tournament so far, it's been entertaining and insightful for a few players. But just like the WJC, it's a short tournament where some players can just get hot or have stats padded against easy teams, so it shouldn't change too much perspective greatly. I did want to see how Krebs would do playing with a better group and I've been quite impressed with him. I think he's really the only one for me that I've changed my outlook on based on this tournament so far. Rees has looked good and might consider him for pick #40, but that's more of a lack of knowledge of who may be around pick #40 and Rees would likely be gone by the late 2nd at this point.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think they need to get what they can for a handful of players, trade the dead weight, shed salary, re-do the UFA route with better players. Who cares if Sutter gets VAN a 4th. They would no longer have to pay him and it would open a spot for Gaudette. Same with Tanev, if he only gets VAN a 2nd or 3rd. Those are 2-3 extra picks at the VAN Draft this year. It should be about making adjustments this off season to create a playoff team. Sutter and Tanev are not a part of that plan, because they're usually injured every spring. This is why I wonder if Benning is over-valuing the players, expecting a 1st for Tanev? Please. They should get what they can before he completely shatters.

Because the idea is to add organizational depth, not throw it away for peanuts. Never mind potentially negatively affecting negotiating power with guys who actually do hold value, later.

I'd FAR rather add a top 4 RD (via UFA or trade) and have Tanev playing 3rd pair (where he'll likely stay healthier) than simply move him for the sake of moving him.

But even better I trade for one, sign another and move Tanev for decent value (recovering some of what you lost in the other trade).

• Upvote 4

Good summary Theo

I get what you're saying about Gaudreau, somewhat being relied on to do it all, and not having the support. I thought for sure when the Flames got James Neal, he would carry them deep into the playoffs, but yet wasn't he benched? 

Probably doubtful, but I'm hoping Rees slips under the radar somehow and we get him with the 3rd lol (maybe I'm dreaming)

10 minutes ago, cyoung said:

If van is going D I'd hope they move down a few spots. Just so many good forwards available but as far as D go I'd go in the order of:

Byram - York - Seider - Soderstrom - Broberg

10 is a good spot to be as there will be 2-3 great players falling a bit, right into our laps.

Yeah, I just don't see how we end up drafting a D at 10 this year unless somehow, 'magically' Byram falls (which isn't happening). Otherwise there's going to be a top 10 F available there, particularly as it's almost certain someone will do something like take an 'off the board' guy rated low teens in the 5-10 slots and push yet another F down.

I suppose our scouts could have one of Sedier/Soderstrom/York ranked higher than the 10-15 range they likely do but....

• Upvote 1

I believe there are 8 areas to judge a player (aside from strength and cardio, character, background, etc.): Skating, Shooting, Stick-handling, Passing, D-game, Physicality, Hockey IQ and Complete level.

Outside of the Top 3, I think Turcotte might be the most well-rounded player of them all.

• Upvote 2

Just as I expected, everyones lists will change every week for the most part. I'm no different.

My list at 10OA not including who I think will be top 3 (Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin)

Dach

Byram

Cozens

Turcotte

Boldy

Krebs

Newhook

Zegras

Lavoie

Caufield

I am hoping for one of Krebs, Boldy or Turcotte as I fully expect Byram, Cozens, and Dach to be gone prior to us picking. I am fully against us taking a d prospect in the first round unless its Byram. I think some really good d prospects will be available in the 2nd round for us.

Realistically we're likely left with Krebs/Newhook/Caufield/Lavoie and Zegras. Fingers crossed we get Krebs or Newhook. I think Newhook and Lavoie will climb the charts and could be surprise picks in the top 9 range, displacing some of the other players that have hung around all year.

Lavoie is killing it in the playoffs, isn't he?

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, messier's_elbow said:

I think he’s going to drop into the teens possibly.

Wont drop to the teens. I don't see JB passing up on him at 10. Depends on how he interviews I guess, but I am taking him at 10 regardless of how is left on the board aside from Dach, Cozens and Byram and maybe, although to a lesser extent Turcotte.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good summary Theo

I get what you're saying about Gaudreau, somewhat being relied on to do it all, and not having the support. I thought for sure when the Flames got James Neal, he would carry them deep into the playoffs, but yet wasn't he benched? 

Probably doubtful, but I'm hoping Rees slips under the radar somehow and we get him with the 3rd lol (maybe I'm dreaming)

I think Rees was ranked #85 (might've been for NA skaters only too), so he could've very well been a 3rd round pick and may still be if many feel this tournament is really too small of a sample size compared to the rest of his season. I'm sure some team like Tampa would snag him though in the mid-late 2nd range. I remember wanting Cirelli after a fine Memorial Cup performance, but we went with Brisebois instead for the 3rd round. Hindsight is 20/20 though and Brisebois still has potential, but is just finding himself falling in the depth chart behind Hughes, Juolevi and even Rathbone IMO.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:22 AM, The_Rocket said:

Imo, JB should take whichever American is left (probably one of Zegras, Boldy, or caufield. Doubt turcotte falls that far). 

If worse case scenario happens and they’re ALL gone, then one of cozens or dach has to be available (assuming Byram is gone; pretty safe assumption). So basically worse case scenario is cozens or dach. 

Canucks can’t really lose this draft. JB should be very cautious about trading this pick

Dach or Cozens at 10 would be a HUUGGEEE steal.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, Alflives said:

I like the kid, and hope his attitude towards playing in the NHL causes him (as that hockey guru suggested) to fall to us.  You might not see a “meh” in his attitude towards the NHL, but I’m hoping there is enough concern with some NHL GMs that Podkolzin does fall to us.  

Podkolzin/Pettersson = Ovechkin/Backstrom

24 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i have no idea on how to rank this group. reading different things about player from hockey pundits and watching a few clips, just confuses me more. thank god it is not our decision to make. 

It’s incredibly difficult to rank this years crop.

but luckily there’s not really any options that look bad at 10!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

Dach or Cozens at 10 would be a HUUGGEEE steal.

As much as I would have agreed to that earlier in the year.

but now I really don’t think the gap between say:

Dach and Cozens vs. the US National Program Players and Krebs

Is there anymore.

Can argue rankings for all of them now in any given order. 

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think because of where Seider is ranked (around #24), the Canucks would need to get an extra late 1st to get him. I've been hoping Benning would pile up the picks this Draft, but a couple extra 6ths seems to be his level of aggressiveness. Not written in stone yet, Benning could still do a Draft floor deal. I wonder if this is what he's waiting for? Can two GMs (out of the playoffs) discuss a future deal to make at the Draft?

I don't think its wize to trade down in hopes that a certain player will be there later you may end up missing altogether. Take the player you want. If JB and Co have Sieder as their guy @ 10 I will support it. I like the forwards personally though. Newhook Krebs Boldy would be my first choices. But Sieder has a really high cieling I feel he has just begun to tap into his potential with the help of NA coaching he could progress in leaps and bounds. 

• Upvote 2