The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

4 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Isnt that supposed to be Broberg ? 
Also, as 2nd best D, are you meaning in overall, or in the D-zone ? IMO, with our young D-crop of Quinn, Juolevi & Stecher being more of the offensive D-mould, we need more defensive defenseman with good outlet passing and some sandpaper to complement Woo moving forward.

That sounds like a 2nd round pick to me 

Too many good forwards in the first round to pass up on this year 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good summary Theo

I get what you're saying about Gaudreau, somewhat being relied on to do it all, and not having the support. I thought for sure when the Flames got James Neal, he would carry them deep into the playoffs, but yet wasn't he benched? 

Probably doubtful, but I'm hoping Rees slips under the radar somehow and we get him with the 3rd lol (maybe I'm dreaming)

I'm not sure why people are so high on Rees. 5'10'' forward with pedestrian numbers. Just because he's having a good tournament shouldn't make him jump that much. There have been many players with better numbers in the u18 tournament who don't amount to anything so I definitely wouldn't let a tournament affect where they are positioned. If anything the tournament only helps to affirm where you have that player. Jump up a few spots sure but not an entire round.

krebs has really grown on me, I think if he is available I would take him over any of the D and over newhook. If caufield is around tho, this would be a tough decision. Krebs reminds me a lot of horvat- good all around player, great leadership. He has selke potential and could see him play ll situations like horvat. Top character player

can any one weigh in on weakness of krebs?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Been doing some looking on eliteprospects. Here are the 2nd round prospects that I find most intriguing and may be available in our wheelhouse.

Vladislav Kolyachonok - Plays for the Flint Firebirds, one of the worst teams in the OHL but still produced a respectable 29 points in 53G. Still only 17 years old but a good 6'2'' 181lbs L shot defenseman. Also raising his draft stock playing for Belarus where he has 5 points in 4 games. I think he has a lot of potential and more offense to give next year. 

Jackson LaCombe - Plays for Shattuck St. Marys Highschool Prep where he has 89 points in 54 G. He is a 6'1'' 172lb L shot defenseman. He was a forward until they switched him to defense a few years ago and it's worked out well for him. Currently committed to University of Minnesota. His production is extremely good even for his league and he should do well at Minnesota because of it. His production actually has him very comparable to Jack Rathbone in his draft year but with a 3 inch size difference on him.

Nathan Legare - Plays for Baie-Comeau Drakkar of QMJHL where he has 87 points in 68 games. Of those, he has 45 goals. 6'0'' 201 lbs RW. I like him least out of these three but I think any of these players would be a good choice in the 2nd round. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Not sure if this is a racial bias or your just quite the nationalist.

but that’s not how you draft either way. 

If they take newhook it would be because they think he’s the bpa.

one of the best crops of draft eligible American born players I think ever. We’d be lucky to have one. And if we take an American player it will be the bpa on our list.

Once they put on the jersey they become one of us and Part of the community. It really doesn’t matter where they are from.

I actually do agree with you and I also do see his point of view. To some extent I think he was just joking with the mother land thing. but I always have a bias and I always would like to draft Canadians, but  birthplace shouldn’t matter.  

This is is why I also want bowman. He’s from b.c.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Not sure if this is a racial bias or your just quite the nationalist.

but that’s not how you draft either way. 

If they take newhook it would be because they think he’s the bpa.

one of the best crops of draft eligible American born players I think ever. We’d be lucky to have one. And if we take an American player it will be the bpa on our list.

Once they put on the jersey they become one of us and Part of the community. It really doesn’t matter where they are from.

There is the thing about this year. If you look at the mock drafts ,we could end up with anyone between 3 and 14. Every team will have a list and they all might be different. Maybe Newhook is better then them all. Someone who goes in the middle of the first round could turn out to be the best player taken.

It won't matter where they come from.

Edited by appleboy
  • Upvote 2

The players that have surprised me the most are

Caufield...………………...you just can not score that many goals and be a fluke 

Newhook…………………Has done fantastic, for a guy from the BCJHL...……...I think he has answered the doubters

Brayden Tracy...…………He is a sleeper pick, lets hope he is available in the 3rd

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 2

I really feel as though the Americans and NA skaters are getting a bit too much hype. Yes don't get me wrong they are fantastic and I'm sure there will be a lot of future solid NHL talent in North America this draft.  However, I do feel a bit as though the euro's are under-represented.

Only 2 euro's rank consistently in the top 10 Kakko and Podkolzin who may even drop. With only 2 more consistently ranked in the top 20 Soderstrom, Broberg. I'm curious if the NA skaters are really that much better this year or if the scouts who make the rankings are really doing their homework. I feel like there are some players who are definitely being undervalued. 

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

krebs has really grown on me, I think if he is available I would take him over any of the D and over newhook. If caufield is around tho, this would be a tough decision. Krebs reminds me a lot of horvat- good all around player, great leadership. He has selke potential and could see him play ll situations like horvat. Top character player

can any one weigh in on weakness of krebs?

For me weaknesses of Krebs would be not a burner speedwise, & not a great shooter/goal scorer. Newhook is better in both areas IMO. But Krebs is better to be relied upon as a two-way C that can take big draws & play PK. He has the details down.

I'm curious, what is it for you that puts him over Newhook?

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Johnny had 9 points in 11 games in one playoff run with Calgary. Hasn't been great in his last couple of opportunities, but still has 12 points in 20 games in the playoffs. The thing is when teams are focusing on shutting him down, it should open up someone else on the team to shine (like when McDavid was being locked down, Draisaitl stepped up), but it seems no one did in Calgary despite the season they've had. I think I might just be a little more annoyed at the rest of the team if I was a Calgary fan than pinpointing it solely on Gaudreau where without him, who knows if they even make the playoffs (it's not as simple as saying they have a few 70-80 point guys after Gaudreau anyway because without Johnny, it would create a trickle down effect on the offense).

So if Caufield can put up Gaudreau production (they don't play a similar style), then IMO it doesn't matter if he will be a playoff performer as we can't pass up on a guy with 100 point potential. The issue I have with Caufield is that yes he is small, but also the fact that he doesn't really have all too many assists with his goal production. Will he be more of a very good support guy that needs to be set up or can he create plays on his own? If he isn't generating on his own, then with his size, he would have a very high bust potential. He might actually look decent on a team with McDavid though if Edmonton takes him, but with Caufield and Yamamoto, they're going to need to protect them (good thing they have Lucic right?). This scouting will have to be done by the Canucks organization, but from an average fan's perspective, I'm not sure if he will be the right fit for us to be the best that he can be and to better our team.

From what I've seen from the tournament so far, it's been entertaining and insightful for a few players. But just like the WJC, it's a short tournament where some players can just get hot or have stats padded against easy teams, so it shouldn't change too much perspective greatly. I did want to see how Krebs would do playing with a better group and I've been quite impressed with him. I think he's really the only one for me that I've changed my outlook on based on this tournament so far. Rees has looked good and might consider him for pick #40, but that's more of a lack of knowledge of who may be around pick #40 and Rees would likely be gone by the late 2nd at this point.

Good write up. I don't think Caufield has 100 point potential, otherwise I agree with everything. 

Rees is an interesting guy. As of now I think he projects as a bottom 6 guy, but he's got great speed & good hands. He's raising his stock with this tourney for sure. 

5 hours ago, R3aL said:

As much as I would have agreed to that earlier in the year.

but now I really don’t think the gap between say:

Dach and Cozens vs. the US National Program Players and Krebs

Is there anymore.

Can argue rankings for all of them now in any given order. 

I'd have Dach / Turcotte at the top if you were to throw them all in a group. (perhaps positional bias plays into that)

After that Boldy would be my #2, but then there's good arguments to be made for all of them. Cozens / Caufield / Newhook / Krebs / Zegras, Its a great group

• Like 1

I'm really beginning to get the feeling Podkolzin will drop to us. 

Chi Cozens

Avs Turcotte

LA Dach

Detroit Byram

Buff Boldy they need that complementary guy who can turn their talent into stars.

EDM Krebs I would be screaming for Krebs if I was McDavid

Dux will probably want someone they can put in the NHL asap. Soderstrom/Lavoie

which leaves Zegras I'm not so high on him, Newhook I love this kid huge cieling, Podkolzin I think JB has to take the risk here we need more power in our top 6. He could very well decide he wants to stay in russia that is a real concern and the Canucks are notoriously bad at developing russians in the past 20 years. If there ever was a time to change that this could be it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hammertime said:

I really feel as though the Americans and NA skaters are getting a bit too much hype. Yes don't get me wrong they are fantastic and I'm sure there will be a lot of future solid NHL talent in North America this draft.  However, I do feel a bit as though the euro's are under-represented.

Only 2 euro's rank consistently in the top 10 Kakko and Podkolzin who may even drop. With only 2 more consistently ranked in the top 20 Soderstrom, Broberg. I'm curious if the NA skaters are really that much better this year or if the scouts who make the rankings are really doing their homework. I feel like there are some players who are definitely being undervalued. 

Hopefully you are right and gold could be struck in the 2nd/3rd round...

Benning is not afraid to take a chance on Europeans....

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i have no idea on how to rank this group. reading different things about player from hockey pundits and watching a few clips, just confuses me more. thank god it is not our decision to make. 

in 4 years some GM's are gonna look like geniuses and some like nuggets...

It sounds really hard to chose the best players out of that bunch... Have to say for once picking 10 instead of 6-7 isn't the end of the world.

There is bound to be a real gem there....please JB find him...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Good things come to those who wait.

JB needs to pick the guy at 10 OA who has the highest ceiling. If it takes the guy more years than some of his draft class to get there, but it’s higher than those other guys, take the kid, and let him develop. 

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'm really beginning to get the feeling Podkolzin will drop to us. 

Chi Cozens

Avs Turcotte

LA Dach

Detroit Byram

Buff Boldy they need that complementary guy who can turn their talent into stars.

EDM Krebs I would be screaming for Krebs if I was McDavid

Dux will probably want someone they can put in the NHL asap. Soderstrom/Lavoie

which leaves Zegras I'm not so high on him, Newhook I love this kid huge cieling, Podkolzin I think JB has to take the risk here we need more power in our top 6. He could very well decide he wants to stay in russia that is a real concern and the Canucks are notoriously bad at developing russians in the past 20 years. If there ever was a time to change that this could be it. 

I agree it would be a huge risk for JB to take. With two top 6 picks still a question mark (JV and OJ, the jury is still out and I hope they reach their potential), I doubt his job is safe if he takes Podkolzin who then goes to the KHL. As much talent as he appears to have, we need a sure bet top 6 forward or a top 4 D for the team to move forward, we can’t roll the dice on 10th overall. 

1 minute ago, steviewonder20 said:

I agree it would be a huge risk for JB to take. With two top 6 picks still a question mark (JV and OJ, the jury is still out and I hope they reach their potential), I doubt his job is safe if he takes Podkolzin who then goes to the KHL. As much talent as he appears to have, we need a sure bet top 6 forward or a top 4 D for the team to move forward, we can’t roll the dice on 10th overall. 

We don’t exactly have the best reputation (maybe?) with Russian players too.