The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We don’t exactly have the best reputation (maybe?) with Russian players too.  

I wonder if Benning will be extra cautious when considering Podkolzin (if he's there at #10). Tryamkin is a good example of a top Russian player preferring to play at home. I don't want Podkolzin and if Benning drafts him, I think that pick will come back to haunt him.

I also wonder if Cauifield will grow any more than 5'7". Can you imagine how dominant he'd be at 5'10"? Then again, from what I've seen of Caufield, his size is actually beneficial. He's very deceptive, can squeeze into tight spaces, whips around opponents until their heads spin. And that lightning wrister he has. He seems to also be able to take a hit and doesn't shy away from battles.

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

I agree it would be a huge risk for JB to take. With two top 6 picks still a question mark (JV and OJ, the jury is still out and I hope they reach their potential), I doubt his job is safe if he takes Podkolzin who then goes to the KHL. As much talent as he appears to have, we need a sure bet top 6 forward or a top 4 D for the team to move forward, we can’t roll the dice on 10th overall. 

You dont win by playing it safe. 

I dont like safe safe gets you middle 6ers. 

I will stand by him if he misses on a high risk high reward pick I won't stand by him picking low cieling high basement guys with our 1st.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I will stand by him if he misses on a high risk high reward pick I won't stand by him picking low cieling high basement guys with our 1st.

isn't that what he's done with Jake and Juolevi? seems to be two favourite picks to beat Jim over the head with. 

There seems to be a lot of potential high ceiling guys at 10 this year tho. 

I expect the following players to be gone by the time we pick if not grab one and run. 

Hughes

Kakko

Byram

Dach

Cozens

Turcotte

After those 6 I think this draft will be very unpredictable. So much movement in rankings.

My favourites right now after those guys are probably:

Krebs

Newhook

Broberg (big gamble but could pay off big)

Zegras, Boldy, Soderstrom, Caulfield, Kalyiev I would also be happy with

Edited by Bure_Pavel

12 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I get your point and agree we don’t need more middle or bottom 6 guys. I think there are degrees of risk and safety. We can get a good player at 10 with a high ceiling without worrying about the KHL.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

isn't that what he's done with Jake and Juolevi? seems to be two favourite picks to beat Jim over the head with. 

There seems to be a lot of potential high ceiling guys at 10 this year tho. 

Joulevi was definately a safe pick. Jake not so much he reached there. Jake had a huge cieling powerforwards who skate like that are rare. He hasn't reached the potential of his tools. I'm fine with that pick

But Juolevi was definately safe. I wanted Sergachev so bad that year. Its 1 pick though. I feel like there have been high reward picks taken consistantly. There are more Manukian's taken than Juolevi's

I’m so high in caufield man. Admittedly I have not seen everyone in the top 15 so I’m extremely bias, but watching this guy take over in the Offensive zone is incredible. He’s so good at getting open and getting his shot away and skating through the zone. I think he’d be lethal in the bumper spot on the PP. plus I bet he’s one and done in college so probably hit the NHL in 2020-2021, very early for a #10 oa. Yeah there’s other good players as well but caufield has the highest offensive ceiling out of all of them imo. Only hughes and Kakko are higher for offense imo. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I get your point and agree we don’t need more middle or bottom 6 guys. I think there are degrees of risk and safety. We can get a good player at 10 with a high ceiling without worrying about the KHL.

I'm having Kopitar flashbacks

• Cheers 1

I have a feeling EDM is going to grab Broberg with the #8. They don't need forwards, they need D, and Broberg has size and speed. I believe he's also already playing against men in Sweden. Perhaps a future top pairing of  Broberg - Bouchard for them.

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Joulevi was definately a safe pick. Jake not so much he reached there. Jake had a huge cieling powerforwards who skate like that are rare. He hasn't reached the potential of his tools. I'm fine with that pick

But Juolevi was definately safe. I wanted Sergachev so bad that year. Its 1 pick though. I feel like there have been high reward picks taken consistantly. There are more Manukian's taken than Juolevi's

I thought OJ was a bit risky tbh, to me it seemed like Jim was looking to the future for more of a puck moving d (as we can see now how much that matters in this playoffs) vs a more traditional high scoring guy like Sergachev. Or bypassing Tkatpuk, that was a bold move. 

But I do hear what you're saying, if you never go for high ceiling you're never going to get it. At the time Petey looked like a reach down - only 1 of the scouting blogs had Petey at 5 !! most had him around 9 or even some around 20. (http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings)

• Upvote 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I have a feeling EDM is going to grab Broberg with the #8. They don't need forwards, they need D, and Broberg has size and speed. I believe he's also already playing against men in Sweden. Perhaps a future top pairing of  Broberg - Bouchard for them.

Edm needs everything. They only have 3 forwards in the team and no high end guys in the system. Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, etc. Are all underperforming and stalled in development. Can’t depend on any of them to develop. Plus they’re going to be bringing in a new GM by next month apparently, so I’d say they’re pretty unpredicatable who they will draft. 

Bouchard has been lights out in 2019 so I think they’re more focused on high end forwards with him in the system

1 minute ago, The_Rocket said:

Edm needs everything. They only have 3 forwards in the team and no high end guys in the system. Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, etc. Are all underperforming and stalled in development. Can’t depend on any of them to develop. Plus they’re going to be bringing in a new GM by next month apparently, so I’d say they’re pretty unpredicatable who they will draft. 

Bouchard has been lights out in 2019 so I think they’re more focused on high end forwards with him in the system

yeah well see, I bet it ends up being Keith Gretzky by default. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I thought OJ was a bit risky tbh, to me it seemed like Jim was looking to the future for more of a puck moving d (as we can see now how much that matters in this playoffs) vs a more traditional high scoring guy like Sergachev. Or bypassing Tkatpuk, that was a bold move. 

But I do hear what you're saying, if you never go for high ceiling you're never going to get it. At the time Petey looked like a reach down - only 1 of the scouting blogs had Petey at 5 !! most had him around 9 or even some around 20. (http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/2017-nhl-draft-rankings)

I loved the Pete pick it was him or Mittelstadt for me that year.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

As time goes on, you have to wonder if anyone even wants the job. The word on the street is that they are interviewing everyone possible.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I definitely wouldn’t be surprised. He has a lot of media support here in Edmonton and many believe that bringing in someone new will add another year to the timeline before their good again. I personally would love Fretzky to stay because it’ll keep the oilers trapped in their boys club mentality and make it harder for them to be less mediocre !

• Haha 1

Didn't Juolevi (and the Fins) have a great U18 IIHF tournament the year he was drafted at #5? I wonder if this is kind of a red flag, judging players from this one tournament. From what I saw of Podkolzin, he looked very average, didn't stand out to me, he ended the game frustrated and with one assist.  BUT, he plays for Russia, who aren't nearly as good as the Americans. Are we (they) over-valuing the Americans because it's a stacked team? Are we under-valuing some players because they play on worst teams?

You can see the skill though. Not just who has the puck, but watching Caufield, for example, he knows where to go, always finds open space (and no one really notices him), and he's always in perfect spot for a wicked wrister and goal. He also drives the net lol I like this dude. Zegras as well, some of his fancy passes have been elite. York's and Harley's skating have been excellent. Boldy and Turcotte have been very impressive together. Both realty good players. Krebs and Cozens have been equally as good.