The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

36 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I thought Newhook had decent speed, Button seems to be right about Virtanen so far...praying that Jake can evolve into a top 6 guy for us still tho and prove that high draft selection right, same as OJ!

He was right on Virtanen. But he's had some odd rankings, and odd rational for dropping or raising guys from month to month over the years.

As for Virtanen, I've pretty much given up on him being a top 6 PWF. Its just not his game. He could score 20 & be a 2nd line scorer, but I think on a great team he's kind of a middle 6 tweener type. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Interesting that Craig said Newhook isn't a great skater.

Maybe he means his stride is awkward or something. Going to have to watch that closely. I've thought his edgework is superb & his speed is better than some of the other high profile FWDs on team Canada.

Sometimes Craig has puzzling takes. That stuck out as one to me, but I'm gunna focus on it in the remaining u18 games. 

Newhook certainly has some agility, can move in different directions pretty darn quickly.  

And with the puck on a string.

That can be more important than all out speed. Unless you have to beat McDavid to a puck...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Newhook certainly has some agility, can move in different directions pretty darn quickly.  

And with the puck on a string.

That can be more important than all out speed. Unless you have to beat McDavid to a puck...

He's got great acceleration too. i'm watching the Canada/Czech game right now, and I could see a choppy stride argument. But he can get going really quickly with his first few steps. And his edgework is great as you say.

I'm really liking Newhook alot.

He can see plays developing before they happen, he's got great hands, a good shot, and he can make plays on the defensive end too. 

Krebs is more industrious, & maybe he'll be a better C in the NHL. But Newhook's a bit bigger & he's more dynamic. I have them neck & neck right now, tough time deciding which elements I like more. Krebs has grown on me aswell. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He's got great acceleration too. i'm watching the Canada/Czech game right now, and I could see a choppy stride argument. But he can get going really quickly with his first few steps. And his edgework is great as you say.

I'm really liking Newhook alot.

He can see plays developing before they happen, he's got great hands, a good shot, and he can make plays on the defensive end too. 

Krebs is more industrious, & maybe he'll be a better C in the NHL. But Newhook's a bit bigger & he's more dynamic. I have them neck & neck right now, tough time deciding which elements I like more. Krebs has grown on me aswell. 

Yea same thing I said - I’m pretty surprised craig said that about his skating.

newhook looks super fast to me so I’m a little puzzled! 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Yea same thing I said - I’m pretty surprised craig said that about his skating.

newhook looks super fast to me so I’m a little puzzled! 

I’m really enjoying Will Scouch’s new “Scouching Report” series. The first one is on Newhook and is a solid vid. Does a good job IMO in breaking down Newhook’s strengths and areas for improvement. Scouch talks about Newhook’s skating as elite and one of his greatest strengths:

Scouch has done 5 vids so far, on Newhook, York, Dorofeyev, Brink, and Jones, and they’re all worth a view.

The Brink one is worth checking out just for the “Body Break”/“Bobby Brink” intro. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If the draft goes;

Hughes

Kakko

Cozens

Byram

Dach

Turcotte 

Boldy

Krebs 

Podkolzin

Who do we take?

The most common ive seen ranked in top 10 outside those guys is Zegras, or draft a Dman, or do we swing for the fences? 

Newhook or Caufield for me

17 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I have not seen him play, to be fair.

My impressions from highlights is he is not as fast or silky smooth. Is stronger, has some skills, possibly better skills. But its just highlights. A great athlete, raw potential guy?

And harder to equate as the German league is probably an even lower standard than the Allsvenskan. Still against fully grown adults and impressive for a teen.  

Guys like this win drafts for some teams and become vacant picks for others?

No.

Just No.

By any means the game in the German top league, DEL, is at least one level above the second swedish league, the Allsvenskan. It's tough to make a comparison, because of the different type of game.

- Allsvenskan:

it's all about speed and skill; tons of young players, prospects take their first steps playing in a men's league and to get used to the more physcial game on the pro- level.

- German Top League, DEL

not sure, but i believe at least ten import players from other countries are allowed to play on each team. Those 10 players are usually from North America (most of them were AHL players like Ben Smith (former Toronto Marlies) and even NHL players (Steve Reinprecht is probably the most well known who played 663 NHL games and 278 DEL games). Because of those North american players and north american headcoaches (I assume that 10 out of 14 teams have a north american headcoach) teams play a very phycial style of game and a north - south game.

You are basically saying that the young swedish players play on a higher level than all those AHL players / NHL players and the best German players. No way. No way.

I give you an example:

The final in the Champions hockey league - a tournament of the best European teams - without the KHL Teams (CHL) was between Frölunda Indians (SHL, top league sweden) and the Munich Red Bulls (German League). This gives you an indication how good this German League is. A German team made it to the final, defeating several top teams from the swedish top league, the SHL, the finnish top league, Liga, and the top league in Switzerland. The level of the DEL is well above the level of the second swedish league.

I have stated earlier before: because of the physical type of play and the north american north - south game and the competition against former AHL'ers and NHL'ers I expect Seider close to NHL ready. There is a great chance that he will play in the world championships men in Slovakia in May. Kaapo Kakko (Finland) and Seider (Germany) might be the only two players from this year's draft class to play in this tournament.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, TGokou said:

Seider had 2 assists last game in the DEL playoff final Game 4, which puts him at 5 pts in 13 playoff games .(38ppg) which is an improvement over his regular season 6 pts in 29 games. Furthermore, he is averaging only around 12 min. per game which is a lot less ice time than a lot of draft eligible defensemen are getting. Prorated to an average of 18 min. per game he would be getting anywhere between .39 - .57 ppg this season. He also rarely gets PP time and so does not have any stat inflation either from the PP. I did some research and found the Allvenskan and DEL leagues to be fairly comparable although DEL do score at a slightly higher pace than Allvenskan. I based this on players who transferred either from DEL to Allvenskan or from Allvenskan to DEL the following year. Most of these players are in their late 20's or early 30's so there should be no improvement from a skills perspective at that age. 

In conjunction with hiw WJC-20 D1A tournament where he had 1 G 6 A in 5 games it tells me he actually has a lot of offensive potential waiting to be tapped. As mentioned in another post, if he were placed into the OHL this season he would most likely have anywhere between .7 - 1 ppg based on my projections.

I would love to deepen the debate:

Look, Seider's team is stacked at D. They have veterans on their blueline in Mark Katic, Joonas Lehtivuori, Thomas Larkin. Let's take a look at the resume of those players: they played several seasons in the KHL, the Liiga (top league in Finland), the SHL (top league in Sweden) and in the AHL. Now put your shoes in a headcoach. Of course, it's all about winning and therefore you put your most experienced players on the ice in the most crucial situations (man advantage, Penalty Kill, last couple of minuts in a game that's close).

Seider had mentioned in an interview that the Coach / coaching staff trust him. Let's take into consideration that's his rookie year as a 17 year old player in a men's league.

It's rare to find the following combo of size, speed, mobility and excellent first pass, terrific vision, and ton's of offensive upside. Tyler Myers was draft 12th overall, Brent Seabrook 14th overall. The team that will get Seider in this year's draft hit gold. That's for sure.

14 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Looking at our potential options at 10th, I think Heinola is getting overlooked by most.

No more Finnish D with the 1st please ;) Still waiting for our 2016 Fin to percolate.

I really like Krebs. He seems like such a smart player, good skater, great shot, good playmaker, hockey sense. There is a crop of forwards in that 5-10 range that all seem similar. They're all good players. My preference flip-flops, but Caufield has been an exciting player to watch during this tournament. He always finds a way to score. Against Latvia (I think it was), Caufield went the first period without a goal and I could tell it was bothering him. I believe he came back in the 2nd and potted 1 or 2. He scores every game.

Who's to say who will become the best player?

Krebs

Cozens

Dach

Turcotte

Caufield

Boldy

Zegras

Newhook

Hughes

Kakko

Cozens

Byram

Dach

Turcotte 

Boldy

Krebs 

Podkolzin

If the draft plays out this way I would take Zegras, Caufield or Newhook and be happy with any one of those 3. Loving the amount of talent available in this draft.

Edited by Deathrowe
Forgot to enter quote
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Who's to say who will become the best player?

Krebs

Cozens

Dach

Turcotte

Caufield

Boldy

Zegras

Newhook

No one, I don't believe anyone can legitimately rank that list and we look back 3 years from now and its accurate. 

So much depends on the development environment too, do they play 2 or 3 college years, etc. or are they rushed? 

I'm still very high on Soderstrom but there's been so much good info on these other guys I'm starting to get confused again :P 

what is benji thinking, top six winger or top four d-man? it was reported that he was in sweden, scouting soderberg, broberg and heinola. can we read anything into that? i hope we take a top six winger and trade for a top four d-man. but not over priced ones. 

• Cheers 2

After seeing Broberg will his way to scoring last game, that was impressive. Soderstrom is so calm, great skater. Don't know enough about Seider, so he seems like a risky pick. Harley and York are also very good Dmen, great skaters, smart. Just so many good forwards though. I've also been impressed with Rees, Brink, Beecher, Pellettier and Tomasino. I wonder with the abundance of forwards to take in the 1st, will some of the D drop? Will it be possible to get Seider, Bjornfot, Thomson or Heinola in the 2nd? I like Dominick Fensore as well. He's like a forward on D.

22 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

what is benji thinking, top six winger or top four d-man? it was reported that he was in sweden, scouting soderberg, broberg and heinola. can we read anything into that? i hope we take a top six winger and trade for a top four d-man. but not over priced ones. 

Here's hoping he has a deal percolating to add an extra 1st ::D

I could also see him wanting to confirm whether or not they view the crop of forwards likely to be there at 10 as indeed better than some of the D ranked 10-15'ish.

• Upvote 1

Interesting tidbit re: this draft...

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/04/24/vancouver-canucks-another-set-brothers-draft/

Vancouver Canucks: In position to get another set of brothers at June draft

Even though the Canucks already have Quinn Hughes on their team and his brother is draft-eligible this year, Hughes isn’t the only member of the Canucks organization who has a brother that is draft eligible this year. No, not Hughes, but instead, Linus Karlsson.

Karlsson was acquired from the San Jose Sharks at this year’s trade deadline in exchange for Jonathan Dahlen. Dahlen was the player that came over from the Ottawa Senators in the Alex Burrows trade. I won’t get into the trade too much, but the Canucks welcomed on Karlsson (who is still only 19) after Dahlen was unhappy with his deployment with the Canucks’ AHL affiliate, the Utica Comets.

Karlsson is a player that Canucks’ director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett was high on at the 2018 draft, but the Canucks selected Tyler Madden with their third-round pick at 68th overall, while the Sharks selected Karlsson at 87th overall in that same round.

Karlsson has a brother who is eligible for this year’s draft, Hampus Karlsson. Hampus is just a year younger than Linus and is following the same path his brother did in terms of the club he’s playing for in the Allsvenskan league, Sweden’s second-tier league.

Hampus is a left winger who stands at 6’3 and is currently listed at 179 pounds on EliteProspects. Brother Linus is 6’1 and 187 pounds. Hampus recorded 40 points in 15 games with Karlskrona HK J18 in the J18 Div. 1 league this season, before heading to the Karlskrona HK J20 team in the SuperElit league, where he scored 10 goals and picked up 10 assists in 34 games.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2