The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Interesting take by Button. Has us taking Harley, whom I haven't heard much about yet. Passing on Krebs and Turcotte 

Yeah that wouldn't make sense from an organizational standpoint. I don't think JB would pass on Zegras, Turcotte, or Newhook. Plus, Soderstrom would be taken over Harley IMO.

• Cheers 1

Watched the 3rd period Sweden - Czechoslovakia. Not impressed by Broberg, questionable positioning on D and just lacking general hockey IQ with and without the puck. 

On the other hand really impressed by Tobias Bjornfot. Mobile, smart, great passing and quick release - why is nobody talking about him? (Small sample I know...)

• Upvote 1

I actually like Harley a lot! Has gotten some Chabot comparisons on playing style. Around 3 months ago I was preaching trading Tanev for a late 1rst+ before the injury and targeting Harley with a early to mid 20’s pick. He’s been playing well and definitely shooting up the boards. I don’t like him at 10 over the forwards that should be available but if we trade down around 14. Also I like and have Harley ranked higher than Broberg.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:30 AM, Where's Wellwood said:

D prospects are notoriously difficult to assess and extrapolate. Many top D in the NHL were taken in the later rounds of the draft. If J.B. and his staff make a surprising #10 D pick, I'm sure the decision would be based on ample investigation and internal discussions. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Button's List is....interesting.

Canucks taking Harley at #10? And passing on Krebs, Turcotte, Zegras, Newhook and Soderstrom? Geez I hope not. 

Button is out to lunch. Podkolzen aside from being Russian and good defensively is nothing like Datsyuk. Newhook is an elite skater Button needs to get his eyes checked. Harley at 10 is ridiculous GTFO. literally, any of the next 6 picks would be better. How is he even employed?

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I actually like Harley a lot! Has gotten some Chabot comparisons on playing style. Around 3 months ago I was preaching trading Tanev for a late 1rst+ before the injury and targeting Harley with a early to mid 20’s pick. He’s been playing well and definitely shooting up the boards. I don’t like him at 10 over the forwards that should be available but if we trade down around 14. Also I like and have Harley ranked higher than Broberg.

I've heard that comparison before, wasn't it Button who said he reminds Harley of Chabot? He also compared Krebs to Ryan O'Reilly. I really like Harley too, but at #10 there will be a few real good top 6 forwards. I think about Woo, taken in the 2nd. He's going to be a good Dman for the Canucks in a couple of years. My hope is that they nab a good Dman with the 2nd again. Perhaps Thomson, Seider or McCarthy.  

Button has Caufield going to EDM. I can kind of see that. I'll be bummed at first, thoughts of McDavid and Caufield reeking havoc, and then I realized, this is EDM. They will probably rush the little guy into the lineup and with his small size, he'll struggle with the time and space. I'm not sure he could keep up to McDavid anyway. Maybe they put him with Draisaitl? With them having Yamamoto in the system already, drafting Caufield seems kind of redundant. Sounds like an Oilers pick.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

No.

Just No.

By any means the game in the German top league, DEL, is at least one level above the second swedish league, the Allsvenskan. It's tough to make a comparison, because of the different type of game.

- Allsvenskan:

it's all about speed and skill; tons of young players, prospects take their first steps playing in a men's league and to get used to the more physcial game on the pro- level.

- German Top League, DEL

not sure, but i believe at least ten import players from other countries are allowed to play on each team. Those 10 players are usually from North America (most of them were AHL players like Ben Smith (former Toronto Marlies) and even NHL players (Steve Reinprecht is probably the most well known who played 663 NHL games and 278 DEL games). Because of those North american players and north american headcoaches (I assume that 10 out of 14 teams have a north american headcoach) teams play a very phycial style of game and a north - south game.

You are basically saying that the young swedish players play on a higher level than all those AHL players / NHL players and the best German players. No way. No way.

I give you an example:

The final in the Champions hockey league - a tournament of the best European teams - without the KHL Teams (CHL) was between Frölunda Indians (SHL, top league sweden) and the Munich Red Bulls (German League). This gives you an indication how good this German League is. A German team made it to the final, defeating several top teams from the swedish top league, the SHL, the finnish top league, Liga, and the top league in Switzerland. The level of the DEL is well above the level of the second swedish league.

I have stated earlier before: because of the physical type of play and the north american north - south game and the competition against former AHL'ers and NHL'ers I expect Seider close to NHL ready. There is a great chance that he will play in the world championships men in Slovakia in May. Kaapo Kakko (Finland) and Seider (Germany) might be the only two players from this year's draft class to play in this tournament.

Thanks for your informative post Wolfgang. However the only wrinkle I want to throw in is that it seems like a lot of the older players transfer from Allvenskan to DEL, typically in the late 20s and mid 30s where they also experience a "rejuvenation" of scoring. This is the only thing I can say that goes against the fact that the DEL is a better league than Allvenskan. If it is because of a different style of play then I can totally get that. 

As for Seider only playing 12 min a game my point was only to state that his point totals don't necessarily reflect what his production could be if he played more significant minutes. If we do draft him I hope that team can bump up his minutes next year or else it may be beneficial to bring him over to North America. 

14 minutes ago, nergish said:

Lol Button is losing it boys.

If Turcotte slid that far I'd jump for joy.

I agree! But just had a thought. I remember the 2017 Draft, I reeeeeally wanted Vilardi or Glass, but then Benning went to the podium and selected this skinny Swedish kid I never really considered. I was in disbelief. How could he pick this skinny kid over the higher ranked players with size? It wasn't until I really started to watch Pettersson that I realized Benning had chosen the right player and how lucky we were to get him. So, saying that, maybe Benning does take Harley? Maybe he will be just like Chabot? Maybe were all hoping for Krebs and Turcotte, but Harley is actually the better player and has a higher ceiling? Maybe Harley is the best fit for the Canucks?  From what I've seen of Harley, he is an excellent skater, good hockey sense, can jump in the play, defensively responsible, etc. He's also 6'3", and maybe he'll fill in when Edler's days are done. The left side would look great anyway:

Hughes

Harley

Juolevi

Tryamkin

55 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've heard that comparison before, wasn't it Button who said he reminds Harley of Chabot? He also compared Krebs to Ryan O'Reilly. I really like Harley too, but at #10 there will be a few real good top 6 forwards. I think about Woo, taken in the 2nd. He's going to be a good Dman for the Canucks in a couple of years. My hope is that they nab a good Dman with the 2nd again. Perhaps Thomson, Seider or McCarthy.  

McCarthy is destined for the 4th round doncha know.?!! https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2019/

I kid of course. For me if we take a FWD in the 1st which I think we should I doubt Sieder will be there in the 2nd.

Korczak I just feel like he has that hard-nosed competitiveness nobody beats him 1 on 1 he's a guy you want on the ice when the game is on the line. And he will stick up for his teammates.

Bjornfot I really like how he pushes the pace he's really impressed me.

Vlasic Probably gone but if not we take this monster. 

I'm also keen to add more goalies to the factory.

Isaiah Saville This goalie looks like the real deal man there are some good tenders coming out of the US. Check out this kids stats at every level. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/365042/isaiah-saville

Mads Sogaard He's a freak @ 6'7" for an 18yo when he grows into his body I expect he will be a force of nature. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

Soderstrom hasnt been very impressive this tournament, would have liked to see some offensive upside playing against younger competition then hes used to and is now injured.

This definitely seems like a forward draft, should be able to get a top line player at #10 vs a second pair dman or a high risk D pick that could boom or bust.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Anyone have any insight on Nathan lagare from the u18s? Possible option in round 2, had a good year on a stacked team - tough to get a good read on his production.

Legare has been really good. Chippy player who goes to the tough areas, makes plays, he can score. I'd probably put him just below Rees. Might be a good 3rd rounder?

• Upvote 1