The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Tobias Björnfot was named best defenceman of the swedish Junior League J20. He is playing very well in the Championship Under 18 right now. He should go somewhere in the range 20-30. A couple of pages ago there was a statement that Jim Benning was watching Söderström, Broberg and Björnfot at the World Championship Under 18.

Really smooth player. Haven't seen him before this u18 but I like him alot. Skates well & good poise. 

I feel like there could be a trade incoming before the draft that might involve Sutter. It would make sense as it's a shame to waste him on the RW of Beagle, and a good 3/4C is still a premium position. I'm sure there are teams out there who would be interested in Sutter, and we can afford to retain salary if necessary. If we do, I could imagine us getting back a 2nd or 3rd. It would be awesome to have another 2nd or 3rd rounder to play with. 

That said, I think Harley is likely available at the end of the 1st round - around the 22nd-26th spot. Truthfully, I'd be a little disappointed if we were to draft him so high. But I would give Brackett the benefit of the doubt. He does fit the speed-mantra we've been preaching, and he's a good puck mover. I still think we should go with a forward, as that would be BPA, and find ourselves a great D in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

Any candidates for the 2nd and 3rd rounds? A guy like Kaedan Korczak, or Alex Vlasic, are interesting.

• Cheers 1

I wonder why there isn't more talk about Cam York. He's been excellent in the U18. Great, smooth skater, QBs the PP, smart, reliable. Another couple of players that have impressed me are Zegras and Brink. Zegras is so creative with his passes, sees the ice well, seems to always find the open man. Brink is a wrecking ball of a player who drives the net, gritty with a great shot, and speed.  

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder why there isn't more talk about Cam York. He's been excellent in the U18. Great, smooth skater, QBs the PP, smart, reliable. Another couple of players that have impressed me are Zegras and Brink. Zegras is so creative with his passes, sees the ice well, seems to always find the open man. Brink is a wrecking ball of a player who drives the net, gritty with a great shot, and speed.  

York is too similar to Hughes for me (Hughes lite), doesnt fill a glaring need for us anymore. He could be the second best D man in the draft though. 

Highest scoring Dman in the history of the U18 US development team 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

8 minutes ago, guntrix said:

If Button’s proved something is that he at least puts the work in on his mock drafts. It’s very easy and much less time consuming to just pick the usual top-10 and just scramble them like most do.

He may be completely out to lunch but he’s also shown to be on the ball on certain things. He ranked Makar very high iirc and he was basically ridiculed for ranking Virtanen in the second round.

I like to read his mock drafts because I know he takes the time to watch the players. I don’t always get the same feeling from McKenzie, for example, who’s much more useful for trade rumors with all his insider connections. 

I like McKenzie's list more. He polls scouts.

Button's mock drafts are interesting, but sometimes I wonder if he puts too much emphasis on international tournaments. I appreciate he's willing to put so much variance, sometimes its great & sometimes it leaves you wondering.

He had Virtanen late which was good. Last year he also had Kravstov really late (going to the Rangers at 28, atleast he got the team right). This year Turcotte is the glaring one.

SN had Harley ranked 10th, so its not that he's high, I just can't see us taking another LHD unless its Byram. 

47 minutes ago, guntrix said:

If Button’s proved something is that he at least puts the work in on his mock drafts. It’s very easy and much less time consuming to just pick the usual top-10 and just scramble them like most do.

He may be completely out to lunch but he’s also shown to be on the ball on certain things. He ranked Makar very high iirc and he was basically ridiculed for ranking Virtanen in the second round.

I like to read his mock drafts because I know he takes the time to watch the players. I don’t always get the same feeling from McKenzie, for example, who’s much more useful for trade rumors with all his insider connections. 

Button was one of the only ones to have Brayden Point listed as a first round selection as well. I know he’s always been a Philip Broberg fan and I trust his judgment enough to hope the Canucks take him if he’s still available at number 10.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Smashian - this brings up an interesting point. Canucks needs RD a lot more than LD, but wouldn't that be picking by position and not BPA?

Yes. But I don't think Harley is BPA anyways, especially when Alex Turcotte's on the board.

Soderstrom's the positional pick. And I was fine with him earlier on. But now I do think the forwards are separating themselves.

57 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I’m interested in knowing, if you by saying he puts the hours mean compared to the other pundits/mock draft sites or the Canucks scouting staff? This is just an honest question and not an argument...

Virtanen in the second round, was maybe not far off, however I think Benning is known to do well, when choosing. 

EP was not ranked 5th and Benning also had Makar high on his list...

I do agree that taking chances in stead of the unusual pick is interesting, but it is far easier, when your job isn’t on the line.... as the Virtanen pick...

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yes. But I don't think Harley is BPA anyways, especially when Alex Turcotte's on the board.

Soderstrom's the positional pick. And I was fine with him earlier on. But now I do think the forwards are separating themselves.

I would probably rank the Ds:

1. (LD) Byram

2. (LD) York

3. (RD) Soderstrom

4. (LD) Broberg

5. (LD) Harley

6. (RD) Seider

7. (LD) Bjornfot

8. (RD) Thomson

9. (LD) M. Robertson

10. (LD) Heinola

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

I’m interested in knowing, if you by saying he puts the hours mean compared to the other pundits/mock draft sites or the Canucks scouting staff? This is just an honest question and not an argument...

The hours & the miles.

Button has a fair salary, and is TSN's ''head scout.''  They pay his wicket to commentate, attend and scout games all over the world, all year. Tournaments, Hlinka, CHL & USHL, even some league play and champions league in Europe. As well as training camps for national teams as young as 15 & 16, tours. He sees the top kids at an early age, then as they develop in junior, the USHL, all the tournaments, the SHL...

Many internet rating services are by guys who run stats, watch games on their computer/TV. Button may not see as many OHL games, as say, as the OHL scout for any one NHL team. But probably see's more games of the top players than any one top scout? More than any one commentator, say Bob MacKenzie...   

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

There's no denying, Caufield is an incredible goal scorer in his current league, but he's 5'7" 155. Playoffs are a physical war, it's brutal, the pace is faster, the refs put away their whistles (partly). One thing Caufield would probably be real good at is drawing penalties.

There have been several games this year where the Canucks had liberties taken against them, no pushback. But I feel this team is still too small and not quite big/mean enough to slap teams like SJ upside the head. No one is going to be afraid of Stecher laying out a big hit. No one is going to let Pettersson have his way in the crease. 

See Patrick Maroon versus drafting Kassian 12th (?) overall. The types of skill sets to be a push back player are too expensive to invest in in the top 10. Exclusively for pushback anyway.

And being big and tough in junior, does not always translate in the pro's.  

Top ten we have to be picking for skill. If a skill player has pushback, see Tkachuk, maybe it counterbalances the speed of Turcotte? But big guys who can handle pucks under pressure are a breed of themselves. What they can do against junior athletes, see Kassian, does not always translate. But does make players Dach's size more interesting. 

Columbus beat Tampa, people say because their forwards are too small? CBJ's top 3 forwards; 5'11'' Duchesne, 168 lb Artemi Panarin & 5'8'' Cam Atkinson. They did pick PL Dubois top 3, but other key size forwards Josh Anderson & Boon Jenner were 2knd and 4th round picks.  There are also more guys, see Motte, who are functional because of their speed & agility than guys like Vegas's 4th line. But the Knights had exclusive rights to the best players ranked 11th to 15th on everyone's roster to cherry pick their fantastic depth in players with size. That is hard to duplicate via the draft.

Focus on the prize, not your prejudices. Particularly at the top of the draft.

Draft a Tryamkin as often as you draft a Madden.  We'll be fine both ways.

• Upvote 4

It's okay to be smaller, but the player has to be fast and tough as nails. This may be why Gaudreau was completely ineffective in the 1st round. Then there's other smaller players, who had grit and speed (Duchene, etc.) that has had some success in the playoffs.

I think Caufield may be in the Gaudreau category. Bobby Orr Brink is in the latter :)

Edited by NUCKER67

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Heinola so low??? 

Yeah, I know, probably a little low. I've only seen him in 2 games though. That was just my first impression. I would put Korczak right below him. Just my opinion though, that seems to change a lot this time of year lol

• Cheers 1