The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I never said double down on d-men, I said if we have two top 10 picks we can draft a winger and a D-man, kill two birds with one stone. Lol. If you think our defense is fine going forward as it is then I guess we really are looking to build a Toronto Maple Leafs. 

I never said our defense is fine, I said the value in this draft is at forward. If we had 2 first round picks i would be happy to take one of the defence available. But we don't have two picks in the first round, we have one. That pick should be used on a forward.

Just now, Deathrowe said:

I never said our defense is fine, I said the value in this draft is at forward. If we had 2 first round picks i would be happy to take one of the defence available. But we don't have two picks in the first round, we have one. That pick should be used on a forward.

Well the discussion wasn't about having one pick. If you actually read the conversation in it's entirety. I know that's a lot to ask but do try.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

3 of those guys are righties, and only one of them has an outside chance at being top 4. Hughes and Juolevi are the only ones with legit chances at being top 4. Tryamkin isn't even with the team and may not ever be with the team so if we are opting out of making defense a legit area of strength on the hope he comes back that seems like bad asset management. If you guys think defense is not a significant weakness on this team cause we drafted two d-men last year that's fair I guess.

Broberg and Soderstrom aren't locks either for a top 4 role.  Hughes and Juolevi are better prospects than Broberg for the left side.  Woo and Stecher can fill 2 of the 3 spots on the right side.  We don't need another smallish Dman on the right side like Soderstrom.  Also, if you've watched the playoffs this year you saw how dominant a big mean Russian defenceman can be.  Tryamkin is bigger, faster and meaner than Zadorov.  So he has the potential to fill that 3rd spot on the right side.  Not saying it's a guarantee, but there's no guarantee about Broberg or Soderstrom either.

At the end of the day our weak spot right now is legit NHL wingers that can play a top 6 role.  Currently we only have one on our team, Boeser, and we have nobody in the system.  Drafting both Boldy and Podkolzin will fix that.  And they are both better prospects than the two Swedish defencemen...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Broberg and Soderstrom aren't locks either for a top 4 role.  Hughes and Juolevi are better prospects than Broberg for the left side.  Woo and Stecher can fill 2 of the 3 spots on the right side.  We don't need another smallish Dman on the right side like Soderstrom.  Also, if you've watched the playoffs this year you saw how dominant a big mean Russian defenceman can be.  Tryamkin is bigger, faster and meaner than Zadorov.  So he has the potential to fill that 3rd spot on the right side.  Not saying it's a guarantee, but there's no guarantee about Broberg or Soderstrom either.

At the end of the day our weak spot right now is legit NHL wingers that can play a top 6 role.  Currently we only have one on our team, Boeser, and we have nobody in the system.  Drafting both Boldy and Podkolzin will fix that.  And they are both better prospects than the two Swedish defencemen...

Broberg is a fine prospect.  He just maybe 2-3 years out from an NHL game.  If you take that approach with him, he has all the tools to be a top 4 D.  Boldy is okay.  Everyone is high on him because of the Tkachuk brothers.  The Canucks need playmakers badly.  I think Dach will end up like Getzlaf.  I would trade up for him in a heartbeat.  Podkolzin will play in the NHL on day one.  I don't know ultimately how good he will be as his top end ceiling may not be that high, but he plays with maximum intensity and all his goals come from the middle of the size.  He skates into contact rather than away from it.  Zegras to me is the exact opposite player.  Perimeter floater...

Byram to me looks exactly like Morgan Reilly.  That's a great player, but I am not sure you win a cup with him as your number one guy.  

Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Byram, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Caufeild, Kalyiev, Broberg would be my draft board if I were the Canucks GM.  I think everyone else is 2nd line material

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Broberg is a fine prospect.  He just maybe 2-3 years out from an NHL game.  If you take that approach with him, he has all the tools to be a top 4 D.  Boldy is okay.  Everyone is high on him because of the Tkachuk brothers.  The Canucks need playmakers badly.  I think Dach will end up like Getzlaf.  I would trade up for him in a heartbeat.  Podkolzin will play in the NHL on day one.  I don't know ultimately how good he will be as his top end ceiling may not be that high, but he plays with maximum intensity and all his goals come from the middle of the size.  He skates into contact rather than away from it.  Zegras to me is the exact opposite player.  Perimeter floater...

Byram to me looks exactly like Morgan Reilly.  That's a great player, but I am not sure you win a cup with him as your number one guy.  

Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Byram, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Caufeild, Kalyiev, Broberg would be my draft board if I were the Canucks GM.  I think everyone else is 2nd line material

If you're correct on Podkolzin there's a spot waiting for him with Bo. It would certainly accelerate things to be able to pick up one of the 4 or 5 guys who could play in the NHL next year. 

I doubt we'll be able to move up this year, we just don't have the assets but it sure feels like we're going to get a solid player falling to us again. 

• Cheers 1

On paper the Canucks have pretty decent D depth

But in reality, it's still pretty thin. Out of all our D, who is worthy of being in the Top 4 down the road?

Hughes

Juolevi

Woo

Guys like Sautner, Brisebois, McEneny, Teves, Rafferty etc. may never even become regulars in the NHL. And players like Stecher and Hutton are more or less bottom pairing D or 7/8 D IMO.

Canucks need better D. Wingers can be acquired via trade, at a reasonable price. Top Dmen cost a fortune. Invest wisely Benning.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

But in reality, it's still pretty thin. Out of all our D, who is worthy of being in the Top 4 down the road?

Hughes

Juolevi

Woo

Guys like Sautner, Brisebois, McEneny, Teves, Rafferty etc. may never even become regulars in the NHL. And players like Stecher and Hutton are more or less bottom pairing D or 7/8 D IMO.

Canucks need better D. Wingers can be acquired via trade, at a reasonable price. Top Dmen cost a fortune. Invest wisely Benning.

Rathbone looks like a sure bet for a top four guy too.  Plus, there is big Tryamkin.  

I do agree we need more D prospects.  I'd like to see us get Broberg this draft, it he's there for us at 10.  Would be nice too, to move up into the bottom of round one and get a guy like Seider.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

If you're correct on Podkolzin there's a spot waiting for him with Bo. It would certainly accelerate things to be able to pick up one of the 4 or 5 guys who could play in the NHL next year. 

I doubt we'll be able to move up this year, we just don't have the assets but it sure feels like we're going to get a solid player falling to us again. 

they would be a good combo, but if its Pearson-Bo-Podkolzin the who is passing the puck to whom?  Thats a pretty intense forecheck.  They would even be great as a shutdown line getting 20 minutes a night.  Then you need a playmaking center to play behind Petterson.  Gaudette seems to have all the tools, but he may not be the guy.  He is a great all around player, but I am always thinking if he was a little faster on that play, a little bit better of a stickhandler a little bit better of a shooter.  It's like he is a 7/10 on everything.  This is all good, but you need players with some dominant skills to drive lines.  

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes

Juolevi

Woo

I would say Stecher is a solid #5 and Hutton a solid #6 Dman at least. The problem is Injuries have forced both to play in the top 4 and even top pairing at times. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would say Stecher is a solid #5 and Hutton a solid #6 Dman at least. The problem is Injuries have forced both to play in the top 4 and even top pairing at times. 

And that's the biggest problem.  Those two guys are infidelity best suited for the bottom pair, and they move up when injuries dictate.  However, they can't get paid like top four guys, or it screws up the Cap, and we are stuck with two bottom six guys having to play top four minutes.  That's a recipe for disaster.  It's great to have Stecher and Hutton on our team, providing they are getting paid as bottom pair guys.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And that's the biggest problem.  Those two guys are infidelity best suited for the bottom pair, and they move up when injuries dictate.  However, they can't get paid like top four guys, or it screws up the Cap, and we are stuck with two bottom six guys having to play top four minutes.  That's a recipe for disaster.  It's great to have Stecher and Hutton on our team, providing they are getting paid as bottom pair guys.  

Oh c'mon now Alf, those guys may not be great defencemen, but they surely don't need to be labelled as men that cheat on their spouses.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh c'mon now Alf, those guys may not be great defencemen, but they surely don't need to be labelled as men that cheat on their spouses.

lol

I've been flip-flopping for a while. One day I want Krebs, the next I want Broberg, and then I want Podkolzin, and then I don't because he's Russian, but what about Soderstrom? And then there's the mysterious Seider. And little Cole Caufield who will score 100 goals in his rookie season lol But it sure would be nice to add some grit and scoring on the wings, so maybe Zegras or Boldy? It's confusing. Canucks could use them all.

• Upvote 3

lol

I've been flip-flopping for a while. One day I want Krebs, the next I want Broberg, and then I want Podkolzin, and then I don't because he's Russian, but what about Soderstrom? And then there's the mysterious Seider. And little Cole Caufield who will score 100 goals in his rookie season lol But it sure would be nice to add some grit and scoring on the wings, so maybe Zegras or Boldy? It's confusing. Canucks could use them all.

It seems like every recent draft we could have used 5 or 6 of the guys.  Maybe, we NEED MORE PICKS!  JB are you reading this?  I made it big in case you don't have your glasses on.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It seems like every recent draft we could have used 5 or 6 of the guys.  Maybe, we NEED MORE PICKS!  JB are you reading this?  I made it big in case you don't have your glasses on.  

No kidding, I thought Benning would've been collecting picks for this Draft like a hoarder collects newspapers. He might still pull off some trades at the Draft I suppose, but I'm not expecting anything major. It almost sounds like they might want to keep Tanev, because he's worth more to the team playing 40 games than what they would get in a trade. This hanging onto guys is frustrating. Hopefully they can move Eriksson and Sutter too.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

No kidding, I thought Benning would've been collecting picks for this Draft like a hoarder collects newspapers. He might still pull off some trades at the Draft I suppose, but I'm not expecting anything major. It almost sounds like they might want to keep Tanev, because he's worth more to the team playing 40 games than what they would get in a trade. This hanging onto guys is frustrating. Hopefully they can move Eriksson and Sutter too.  

Totally agree.  Some teams have 10 picks in the coming draft, with a lot of those picks being in the first three rounds!  

Who can we trade that could get us a pick in the first three rounds?

Hutton?

Sutter?

Tanev?

Stecher?

We definitely don't want to trade any of our young guys, so who's left that has any actual value?  

When you don't have much to sell, it's hard to add picks. Particularly valuable high ones.

Benning can't force other GM's to give up picks just because he wants them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

When you don't have much to sell, it's hard to add picks. Particularly valuable high ones.

Signings and trading for draft picks during a rebuild are two areas where Benning has not excelled. He loves his one for one hockey trade swapping depth players. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It would be a great draft if we simply picked at 10 and Podkolzin fell into our lap. He looks like he can play in the NHL next year and would fit perfectly on a line with BO and Pearson. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Let’s see what Holland has planned. I doubt the Edmonton ownership want to start another rebuild. He maybe under pressure to win now and acquire NHL ready assets for draft picks. I can see him trading the 8th overall. I’m sure Benning can put a package together. If we can grab two top end forwards to go along with the two top end defencemen we drafted last year then our rebuild should be relatively complete. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

they would be a good combo, but if its Pearson-Bo-Podkolzin the who is passing the puck to whom?  Thats a pretty intense forecheck.  They would even be great as a shutdown line getting 20 minutes a night.  Then you need a playmaking center to play behind Petterson.  Gaudette seems to have all the tools, but he may not be the guy.  He is a great all around player, but I am always thinking if he was a little faster on that play, a little bit better of a stickhandler a little bit better of a shooter.  It's like he is a 7/10 on everything.  This is all good, but you need players with some dominant skills to drive lines.  

I suppose you could look at Podkolzin with Petey's line as well, but then you're moving Boeser off Petey's line. It will be a heck of an interesting training camp if this kid falls to us. Don't know what we do with Goldy in that case.