The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

I do think their drafting has improved since Jake. My gut tells me that Bracket is getting more input. That's not a knock on Jim as he is only as good as his scouting staff.

I think Broberg could be a Jake.  However he might just be young and not getting an opportunity to fully show case his talents.  If that's the case he skates as well as some of the smaller players in the league. A man of his size that is as quick and mobile as that can't be overlooked. 

This draft looks to have a few real gems that can scored at ten.

Newhook is one that I think could become a real star.  Caufield was another one but now might go top 5.

Krebs.

Let's hope our scouts score a winner.

It is going to be hard for most of us to pick this year apart because there is so many good choices. I just wish they could land another top 15 pick.

The funny thing about Broberg and Jake is that I have often thought Jake would be more effective as a d man than a winger.  Ala Brent Burns.  His skating in either direction is fantastic, he would level wingers coming down the ice, plays a solid two way game and would be a decent point shot.  

So the Brogerg idea has merit.  Having a big guy that can skate, hit and shot on the back end is valuable especially if his d partner can do more of the thinking and playmaking.  

Krebs is still my pick if we keep the 10 spot, but there are some interesting options.  Trading up to 4 if Byram is still there would be a coup as long as we keep our core group of young players.  

I'm absolutely ok with Sieder at 10 been saying this for a while now though. I dont care that hes a reach he has the highest cieling of any D outside of Byram. When he comes to NA and gets some real coaching I expect he will improve leaps.

Podkolzin Newhook Krebs  Sieder kaliyev are my wish list. Swing for the fences JB and pick the guys with the highest cieling. Please. I won't fault him however I will if he goes after a middle 6 fwd or a middle pairing D

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:03 PM, N7Nucks said:

Dumb to base your reason on that. These are kids, 17 and 18 years old. They'll likely need 2 years of development in all likelihood anyway. Juolevi was a top 10 pick and hasn't played a single NHL game. If GMs, with far more resources and knowledge than myself, are as impatient as me a fan than they probably shouldn't have their jobs. 

I agree was just speculating about why his ranking has fallen so far...

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sure sounds like the league Broberg played in was a low level kid’s league, like the AJHL.  If we do draft him, I’d like him to do like Edler did, and come play in the WHL for a season.  I think Boqvist did that too, and played in the OHL this season.  

The Allsvenskan is a pro league. Much better than the AJHL. Primarily adult men, the odd top prospect 17 or 18.  Debateable if there is as many top players as there is in CHL / Junior? (There is not.) But its a pro league. And a 17 year old is playing against 21 and 22 year old stronger athletes, with significantly more training and maturity in their game?

It is IMO better competition than 17 or 18 year olds in not just the AJHL, but the OHL, or WHL. It is harder to put up big numbers against guys 2 and 4 years older than yourself.

So Broberg, for example, suddenly did better at the U18 WJCS's a few weeks ago. Its all stars? But all stars age 17 not 22, his own peers again. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sure sounds like the league Broberg played in was a low level kid’s league, like the AJHL.  If we do draft him, I’d like him to do like Edler did, and come play in the WHL for a season.  I think Boqvist did that too, and played in the OHL this season.  

Elias Pettersson was drafted out of the same league. 

• Upvote 1

I think our choice at 10 will be between Krebs, Newhook, Kaliyev, Lavoie Soderstrom, Broberg, York, Seider.

Which D man is the best bet to be a top 4?

Which forward is a more sure bet as a top 6?

I think all these players have the potential to reach that status but the ceiling and floor of their potential is what will separate their draft position.

I’m a Krebs fan (if Boldy and Caufield are gone).

Seider is really intriguing as a defender and could pass the other dmen after the WHC and combine.

44 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I think our choice at 10 will be between Krebs, Newhook, Kaliyev, Lavoie Soderstrom, Broberg, York, Seider.

Which D man is the best bet to be a top 4?

Which forward is a more sure bet as a top 6?

I think all these players have the potential to reach that status but the ceiling and floor of their potential is what will separate their draft position.

I’m a Krebs fan (if Boldy and Caufield are gone).

Seider is really intriguing as a defender and could pass the other dmen after the WHC and combine.

We think Moritz Seider is the safest bet to be a solid contributor in the NHL out of the pool of defensemen available in Europe this year, that’s why he has been the highest ranked defenseman on our list since last season. In fact, we have been scouting him for three years now and everything we have seen both in terms of capabilities and projection suggests to us he will be at least an NHL top-4 defenseman for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, hammertime said:

Is he really a center though? 

Close enough, Button talks about him as a center. I been sayin' I think Hughes probably moves to the wing in the NHL. Especially since Bobby Mac said that in December. Who knows though? I thought Petey would be a winger in the NHL too.