The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

21 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Really hoping Goldy has a solid start to the year.

This is my hope as well. Goldobin's definitely got skill and some speed, good shot, but he looked like he played a bit scared last season. Maybe afraid to make a mistake or to get his hands dirty. I hope he's hitting the gym hard and shows up to camp ready to go. That #1LW spot is still up for grabs.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Alone? Probably not. 

But Risto's value's also not at a high water mark either given his green jacket award this past season (though IMO, some of that is situational).

With a different coach 2 years ago April, a 22 year old Ristolainen finished over 40 points and was minus 9 on one of the worst teams the league had seen in years. What part of bust defensively does that suggest? And just fired the coach who since got less than desired results from some including Risto.

If a green jacket is still in this players vocabulary 1 & 1/2 years from now? I could start to see your point. 

Their plan revolves around better coaching. Nothing that suggests selling low on lottery level young talent.  

Buffalo traded for Montour, and have Bogo as a depth D man to play any heavy minutes.  Montour / Risto / Bogo looks to me as potentially one of the best rights sides in hockey. With Dahlin playing 30 minutes a night on the left. I see a team setting themselves up for their next life with exciting young talent. This year with a better line up.  And some young forwards to integrate.

Nothing.  

30 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

If Benning has a good draft and doesn't screw up free agency I think he'll be back.

We should be playoff competitive next year if only for the reason our defence will be totally different and of higher quality. Just getting rid of Guddy and POuliot is huge.

Need some guys to step up/ recreate themselves. Goldy, Pearson, Baertschi, Leivo, Spooner, Virtanen and Gaudette are all question marks with regards to how much they will produce or even if they'll be here. My guess for the start of next season involves waiving Granlund, Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller and Biega will be waived.

Goldy-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson

Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Schenn

Sautner

Really hoping Goldy has a solid start to the year. Even if to just increase his trade value. Kids got the skills and just needs to come in ready to compete

He just signed a multi year extension in Feb and people think he's on the ropes.  If were in any kind of hot seat he wouldn't have gotten that extension. 

He's not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

He just signed a multi year extension in Feb and people think he's on the ropes.  If were in any kind of hot seat he wouldn't have gotten that extension. 

I thought he signed the new 3-year deal in February 2018. So, I guess he has two years left? This off-season is huge for him. There is a lot to fix. If he doesn't do enough, and the Canucks end up out of the playoffs again next spring, I'm not sure they keep him around to botch another off-season. 

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

There’s absolutely 0 chance NYR would pass on Hughes. American, Consensus number 1 pretty much all year. American. Did I mention American? 

Devils could certainly go Kakko at 1.  Then the Rags run to the podium to get Jack Hughes.  

• Like 1

Players I think could be available when Canucks select 10th overall

Matthew Boldy

Victor Soderstrom

Cole Caufield

Alex Newhook

Philip Broberg

There's a couple of pretty decent defence prospects in Broberg and Soderstrom, but Caufield has gained alot of attention recently and is my #2 choice. I haven't heard too much about Newhook but all signs point to a long NHL career. I love Matthew Boldys game though, he would be my choice out of the bunch. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

There’s absolutely 0 chance NYR would pass on Hughes. American, Consensus number 1 pretty much all year. American. Did I mention American? 

Interesting that Bettman was born and raised in New York, and now resides in New Jersey. And NJ gets the #1, NYR get the #2. Hmmm...... ;)

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

With a different coach 2 years ago April, a 22 year old Ristolainen finished over 40 points and was minus 9 on one of the worst teams the league had seen in years. What part of bust defensively does that suggest? And just fired the coach who since got less than desired results from some including Risto.

If a green jacket is still in this players vocabulary 1 & 1/2 years from now? I could start to see your point. 

Their plan revolves around better coaching. Nothing that suggests selling low on lottery level young talent.  

Buffalo traded for Montour, and have Bogo as a depth D man to play any heavy minutes.  Montour / Risto / Bogo looks to me as potentially one of the best rights sides in hockey. With Dahlin playing 30 minutes a night on the left. I see a team setting themselves up for their next life with exciting young talent. This year with a better line up.  And some young forwards to integrate.

Nothing.  

Hey, I tend to agree his stats are more usage/team than talent. It's why I'd be happy to target him.

But there's plenty of rumours out there re shipping him out to fill other needs since they have Dahlin and Montour to fill an offensive role and Risto has always been viewed as mediocre in his own end at best (which is largely true).

They needs top 6 forwards (so do we) and a goalie.

Player who could be ours:

My take: score out of 10 for each

(Skating, Shooting, Passing, Stick-handling, D-game, Physicality, Hockey IQ, Compete)

Seider - (8), (8), (8), (7), (10), (9), (8), (8) = 66

Soderstrom - (9), (8), (8), (8), (7), (7), (9), (8) = 64

Broberg - (9), (8), (9), (6), (9), (8), (7), (7) = 63

Zegras - (7), (7), (9), (9), (5), (7), (8), (8) = 63

Harley - (8), (8), (8), (7), (8), (8), (8), (7) = 62

York - (9), (7), (8), (8), (7), (6), (8), (8) = 61

Caufield - (7), (10), (8), (8), (5), (5), (8), (8) = 59

Boldy- (6), (7), (8), (7), (8), (8), (8), (6) = 58

Newhook - (8), (8), (8), (7), (5), (6), (8), (8) = 58

EDIT - I kind of rushed through this, and just my first take. Can't just look at goal scoring and fancy stick handling and passes.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

Players I think could be available when Canucks select 10th overall

Matthew Boldy

Victor Soderstrom

Cole Caufield

Alex Newhook

Philip Broberg

There's a couple of pretty decent defence prospects in Broberg and Soderstrom, but Caufield has gained alot of attention recently and is my #2 choice. I haven't heard too much about Newhook but all signs point to a long NHL career. I love Matthew Boldys game though, he would be my choice out of the bunch. 

Yes to Boldy if available. 

Yes to Soderstrom if available. 

Yes to Broberg if available. 

No to Newhook. 

No to Caufield. 

I got my reasons.

16 hours ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Colorado has a filthy defense going forward. If they add Byram it just wont even be funny. 

They have Barrie, Makar, Girard, Johnson and Timmins on the way. Would be without a doubt the best top 6 in the league in a year or two especially adding Byram. But i think there could be a possibility that they would consider moving the pick. I think they would like to add depth up front in their top 9.

Virtanen, Dipietro and our number 10 for number 4 overall? I know its a lot to trade to move up 6 spots but thats usually what you gotta do to move up. If there was a year where it might make sense it might be this year because the forwards between 4-10 are relatively equal so if avs prefer a forward over defense then it is almost a no brainer for them to do a trade down. They could probably grab boldy or krebs at 10 and still grab another dman with their 2nd first. 

Avs would be looking deep with adding a stud goalie prospect, virts speed fits their style well, and still have two solid firsts to work with.

But what if Byram goes #3???  :blink:

3 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

If NJ takes Kakko and NYR offers us the 2nd pick for Boeser and our first rounder next year. Do we take it? 

I would not.  Boeser is a beast and one of the top 7-8 RW in the league.  You have no guarantee that Hughes will be at that level as a center or how long it will take him.  We already have 2 great centres.  We cannot mortgage the future at this point.  I don't hear anyone saying that Hughes is a generational talent, just the best in this class.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Yes to Boldy if available. 

Yes to Soderstrom if available. 

Yes to Broberg if available. 

No to Newhook. 

No to Caufield. 

I got my reasons.

I want Caufield based on his pure goal scoring ability. Honestly put him on Pettersson’s LW and watch him fill the net. 

• Upvote 2

Honestly, I feel like there's a really good chance that the player with the highest ceiling available at our pick will be a defenseman. I haven't seen anything outstanding from any of the forwards rated 5-10 like Hughes last year and the ones I'd be happiest with are probably Dach or Boldy. However, it's more likely than not that both of those guys are gone by 10. A lot of the other forwards (Zegras, Krebs, Newhook, etc.) look to me like they'll be middle 6 players in the NHL, but I also haven't followed this draft as closely as I did last year. Given all that, I think we could be choosing between Heinola, Soderstrom or Seider.

Looking at those defensemen, it's between Heinola or Seider in my mind as Soderstrom trails them by just a little bit. Personally, I think Seider is too good a fit to pass up on assuming his level of competition and environment in Germany is deemed a non issue. The other thing is all three of those defensemen could sign an ELC and play in the AHL next year. However, I only see this as a strong possibility for Seider given his current environment. 

There are some players at the end of the 1st who are really intriguing as well. I've already written an essay on Dorofeyev, but I think he could be one of the steals of the draft. Hoglander has caught my eye recently as well. He's an undersized forward (5'9) who displayed his quickness, explosiveness, hands and motor in the SHL this year playing for a what I think was a bad team. He looks like what we wanted Dahlen to be as he's so tenacious along the boards and has some offensive ability in tight as well.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

My understanding is that he signed a two year extension. The second year is at the owners discretion. So if they don't pick up the option then he is done after  next season.

Please correct me if I am wrong. (or was it a 3 year deal and next is year two)

Edited by appleboy

29 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Honestly, I feel like there's a really good chance that the player with the highest ceiling available at our pick will be a defenseman. I haven't seen anything outstanding from any of the forwards rated 5-10 like Hughes last year and the ones I'd be happiest with are probably Dach or Boldy. However, it's more likely than not that both of those guys are gone by 10. A lot of the other forwards (Zegras, Krebs, Newhook, etc.) look to me like they'll be middle 6 players in the NHL, but I also haven't followed this draft as closely as I did last year. Given all that, I think we could be choosing between Heinola, Soderstrom or Seider.

Looking at those defensemen, it's between Heinola or Seider in my mind as Soderstrom trails them by just a little bit. Personally, I think Seider is too good a fit to pass up on assuming his level of competition and environment in Germany is deemed a non issue. The other thing is all three of those defensemen could sign an ELC and play in the AHL next year. However, I only see this as a strong possibility for Seider given his current environment. 

There are some players at the end of the 1st who are really intriguing as well. I've already written an essay on Dorofeyev, but I think he could be one of the steals of the draft. Hoglander has caught my eye recently as well. He's an undersized forward (5'9) who displayed his quickness, explosiveness, hands and motor in the SHL this year playing for a what I think was a bad team. He looks like what we wanted Dahlen to be as he's so tenacious along the boards and has some offensive ability in tight as well.

I don't think any of the dmen at 10 have anything close to the ceiling that some of the fwds do.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think any of the dmen at 10 have anything close to the ceiling that some of the fwds do.  

Broberg has the highest ceiling of any D men on this draft.  He could be an excellent top pair.  He’s big, skates fabulously, and has a desire to dominate the game.  

16 minutes ago, appleboy said:

My understanding is that he signed a two year extension. The second year is at the owners discretion. So if they don't pick up the option then he is done after  next season.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

He signed it last year, a three deal.  I thought he signed if this year.