Qwags

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

Seider will be the biggest riser of the draft. I can see him go to Anaheim at 9. 

If I had to choose between Seider, Broberg, Soderstrom, York, or Harley, I would go with Seider for the Canucks.

Ducks already have Cam Fowler, Hampus Lindholm, Josh Manson, Brendan Guhle, Jacob Larsson, Josh Mahura, Can't see a positional need at D for Anaheim. Most likely lot's of highly skilled forwards available at #9.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Ducks already have Cam Fowler, Hampus Lindholm, Josh Manson, Brendan Guhle, Jacob Larsson, Josh Mahura, Can't see a positional need at D for Anaheim. Most likely lot's of highly skilled forwards available at #9.

That defensive core isn't stacked by any means. On top of that, the only RHD on your list is Manson. Seider fills a big need for them.

I honestly think he will be the 2nd defenseman picked in the draft (after Byram). General Managers and Scouts tend to like their big defensemen, and Seider is big, skilled, and has solid hockey IQ. 

Edited by Darkstar
  • Upvote 2

On 5/13/2019 at 4:19 PM, Pears said:

I want Caufield based on his pure goal scoring ability. Honestly put him on Pettersson’s LW and watch him fill the net. 

Yup

On 5/13/2019 at 4:19 PM, Pears said:

I want Caufield based on his pure goal scoring ability. Honestly put him on Pettersson’s LW and watch him fill the net. 

Put him with EP and watch them fill the net. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Especially when we draft them!

true enough though.  Pretty much every guy who even plays just one NHL game is an elite hockey player.  

I don’t wear jerseys with namebars of dudes who are pretty good, tbh.

But you’re right, being an exceptional athlete is not necessarily the same as having ‘exceptional status’.

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I see what you did there...

14 minutes ago, nergish said:

I don’t wear jerseys with namebars of dudes who are pretty good, tbh.

But you’re right, being an exceptional athlete is not necessarily the same as having ‘exceptional status’.

Maybe JB can work some magic at the coming draft and we get Jack Hughes?  Then we could get one Hughes' jersey, with Velcro numbers, to cover both guys?

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

caufield only takes up a fraction of the net.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

caufield only takes up a fraction of the net.

Somehow that’s a problem for a few GMs... :lol:

At the end of the day, I would be happy with Caufield, but happier with others.

curious what everyone sees in Seider? I know about the obvious 

Aggressiveness - 8.5 

Size - 9 

Skating ______

IQ _________

Hands_________

Offensive_______
Defensive________

Professionalism/Personality ___________

If he ticks all the boxes right and Management can see him as having potential to be a top pairing D in a few years then I say lets go for him.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Seider gonna be this years Dobson?  

I'd say more this year's McAvoy.

Dobson was always ranked pretty high (I think I had him at 7 or 8'ish IIRC) and fell to 12.

Seider, like McAvoy was ranked more mid teens-mid twenties but in a future re draft would probably go 5-10...maybe 12'ish.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd say more this year's McAvoy.

Dobson was always ranked pretty high (I think I had him at 7 or 8'ish IIRC) and fell to 12.

Seider, like McAvoy was ranked more mid teens-mid twenties but in a future re draft would probably go 5-10...maybe 12'ish.

You have unrealistic expectations of Moritz Seider

33 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Aggressiveness - 8.5 

Size - 9 

Skating ______

IQ _________

Hands_________

Offensive_______
Defensive________

If he ticks all the boxes right and Management can see him as having potential to be a top pairing D in a few years then I say lets go for him.

Aggressiveness - 8.5 

Size - 9 

Skating 9

IQ 8

Hands 8

Offensive 7.5
Defensive 7

Professionalism/Personality ?

33 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Aggressiveness - 8.5 

Size - 9 

Skating ______

IQ _________

Hands_________

Offensive_______
Defensive________

He's basically the full package but he'll likely need some development time to round out his defensive play.

He's got size/physicality, skating (both speed and agility), puck skills, passing, shot. He's not 'dynamic' like a Hughes but he's above average to very good at basically everything. Solid, two way, modern puck transitioning D. Albeit with some risk (will it translate to the NHL/can he develop his defensive game positioning).

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/22/moritz-seider-scouting-report/

Skating

Seider pairs excellent size at 6-foot-4 with strong skating ability. Seider has an excellent skating stride. This gives him good speed in both directions, especially given his size. His first few steps and acceleration are also well above-average. Seider has good edgework and makes quick pivots. His agility allows him to move well laterally, both in the offensive and defensive zones. Seider has decent balance. This can improve as he continues to add core body strength in the coming years. Seider is already pretty good on the boards and in front of the net, especially in facing players in his age group.

Offensive Game

Seider moves the puck up the ice with good stickhandling and quick skating, as well as the ability to make a strong first pass. He transitions the puck out of his zone and is able to carry it effectively through the neutral zone. He is even willing to lead the rush at times. The stickhandling and poise with the puck on his stick is also useful on the power play, as he is able to control the play and set things up at the point. Seider has good vision and can set up teammates on the rush, as well as in the offensive zone.

Seider also has a very good arsenal of point shots. He has the smarts to pick his spots. Seider likes to sneak down from the point, getting off a quick wrist shot with a good release. His slap shot is also above average. He is able to keep it low and on the net to get rebounds as well as provide his teammates with the opportunity to deflect pucks and screen goalies. His shots should continue to add even more power as he gets stronger. He will also need to learn how to effectively walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes.

Defensive Game

Defensively, Moritz Seider plays a physical game, looking to throw a big hit if an opposing forward challenges him down his side of the ice. However, he can get himself out of position looking for those hits and must become more disciplined. There is intriguing upside here but it should be noted that Seider is a long-term prospect as he will need some coaching on his positional play. He won’t be able to get away with some of the things he does in the defensive zone when he faces tougher competition.

Projection and Comparison

Seider is a bit of a project but one that has a high-end upside. He is a real boom or bust type of player. The combination of size, offensive skills, physicality, and mobility mean that the sky is the limit. If he is able to reach his ceiling, he could become a franchise defender. However, Seider’s game is unpolished at this point and getting him to reach that level is no guarantee. It will take time, patience, and a real commitment to continued development. In terms of stylistic comparison, Seider’s game is similar to a mix of Zach Werenskiand Seth Jones. This is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill or ability.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

You have unrealistic expectations of Moritz Seider

:lol: ok. Why's that?

• Upvote 1

I think I may want to attend this. Are tickets expected to be scarce ? I can't imagine there will be overwhelming demand.

30 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

I think I may want to attend this. Are tickets expected to be scarce ? I can't imagine there will be overwhelming demand.

I believe they will be scarce and demand will be high. I also believe we'll see standard predatory ticket purchases to later be re-sold at a profit :angry:

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Aggressiveness - 8.5 

Size - 9 

Skating 9

IQ 8

Hands 8

Offensive 7.5
Defensive 7

Professionalism/Personality ?

That looks ok to me.... We need SIZE and if he is aggressive as well + can skate he ticks a lot of the needs boxes.

IQ 8... suggests is should be possible to form him into a better defender.

I like what I'm hearing.... and yes we do need size...

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Seannnp said:

Agreed.

Was just thinking though, if we were to get 8th OA in a Lucic trade. How many of you would be willing to trade 10th down to select Seider and grab 2 more 2nds? or a 2nd and a 3rd. Seider seems like the real deal and exactly the type of partner we would want with Huges.

Think Seider will go in top 20 if not top 15... Selling himself very well at the worlds...

To be honest if we had 8 and 10, i think we should use one on F and one on D... And Seider would definitely be in contention with Harley, Heinola and Soderstrom... Size being the draw for me.... (not sold on Broberg)...

Edited by spook007

I think Seider goes between 10-20. Very intriguing prospect, but I think there's valid questions of what his NHL upside is.