The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

23 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Seider is a potential Eric Gudbranson

= not a sure thing 

too many forwards that are a sure thing available at our pick 

like many people have said some players outside of the top ten will go earlier then expected and some very good players will be available 

While I agree that we're likely taking a forward with our 10th OA (barring adding another pick), that comparison couldn't be more off :blink::lol:

Agree with Canucks taking a forward at #10.

I wonder what it would take to also get AVs #16 pick? with that pick Canucks could get a good Dman or even trade down too acquire more picks.

Edited by HockeyHarry

7 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Agree with Canucks taking a forward at #10.

I wonder what it would take to also get AVs #16 pick? with that pick Canucks could get a good Dman or even trade down too acquire more picks.

Our 2nd + a decent prospect likely.

Edited by aGENT

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

:lol: ok. Why's that?

Seider is producing nowhere near a rate as McAvoy and his athletic ability compared to McAvoy is still questionable until the combine results are released to the public.

It's an unfair comparison.

4 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

Seider is producing nowhere near a rate as McAvoy and his athletic ability compared to McAvoy is still questionable until the combine results are released to the public.

It's an unfair comparison.

The DEL and H-East aren't really comparable for stats (never mind the context of their roles, usage etc) but sure. As for their athletic ability, no we don't have combine tests yet but Seider skates AWFULLY well for someone in 'meh' shape, particularly at his size. I'll trust my eye test on that one for now ;)

And FWIW, I wasn't comparing their play styles etc. It was more showing a parallel to a 15-25'ish ranked D who is very likely to outplay his (current anyway) rankings. It seems only Hockey Prospects was ahead of the curve on him having him ranked 11th OA all the way back on Feb 28.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The DEL and H-East aren't really comparable for stats (never mind the context of their roles, usage etc) but sure. As for their athletic ability, no we don't have combine tests yet but Seider skates AWFULLY well for someone in 'meh' shape, particularly at his size. I'll trust my eye test on that one for now ;)

And FWIW, I wasn't comparing their play styles etc. It was more showing a parallel to a 15-25'ish ranked D who is very likely to outplay his (current anyway) rankings. It seems only Hockey Prospects was ahead of the curve on him having him ranked 11th OA all the way back on Feb 28.

Why do you think Seider is gonna be the one to outplay in that range and not higher offensive peers Harley and Heinola?

7 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

Why do you think Seider is gonna be the one to outplay in that range and not higher offensive peers Harley and Heinola?

Good head for the game, skates well/good athleticism, good puck skills, good size, played under the radar in German men's league, young for the draft. I also don't think his usage showed his true offensive potential this year (we're seeing more of it now).

I like York and Heinola (as well as Soderstrom) but I'm betting Seider is the next best D not named Byram out of the first round.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 4/24/2019 at 8:03 AM, Alflives said:

We don’t exactly have the best reputation (maybe?) with Russian players too.  

That whole thing is an overblown crock invented by media hacks and trolls.   "Russian players" are not a race of people with uniform opinions.   Bure's situation was with a regime long, long gone and the issue with the big guy was more on his wife than the Canucks but even so....if he is so brilliant, not a sniff at WC this year (I know some on this board still think this guy is the real deal....based upon what, I have not a clue....potential, yes he has that.....potential and a few interesting character traits but I digress).   Further, Goldy is Goldy - he will be what he is no matter in Russia or the US.   A young kid who wants to play in the best league in the year and be alongside the likes of Hughes, EP40, Boeser etc. will not give a rat's ass about Pavel Bure's contract issues or Tryamkin's homesick wife.    Larionov raves about Vancouver as a city and is close to both Benning and Green.    

If Podkolzin is available at 10 and the Canuck team decide on the day he is the best option, I don't think there is a shred of thought about any other "russian player" past or present in the decision.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Good head for the game, skates well/good athleticism, good puck skills, good size, played under the radar in German men's league, young for the draft. I also don't think his usage showed his true offensive potential this year (we're seeing more of it now).

I like York and Heinola (as well as Soderstrom) but I'm betting Seider is the next best D not named Byram out of the first round.

Seider is intriguing and could top out at least as high as Byram in his career.   Poor kid is likely done for WHC after getting what was likely a concussion today but until he was hurt, he was more than holding his own in the tournament.    For a guy who is nearly 6'5", he is super smooth and fast and looks like his shot is getting better too.   Nice first pass.    He is needing to add about 20 lbs of muscle but will happen to a kid who literally just had his 18th birthday in the last month and played in DEL as a 17 year old.   He is ranked a lot lower than 10th overall and if the Canucks had another pick in the 18 to 24 range he might be waiting for them there.    Give him three or four years to develop and this kid may reward you with a top pairing guy for a decade plus.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

In conference, I'd say no. But I am pretty high on Demko still so my valuation of him may be too high. It'd really depend on who is at 8. I know we love the wingers of the draft, but Demko has shown signs of being potentially elite. I'm too scared to gamble his potential for that of a winger. But that might just be me.

What if the management decides that Marky has become a true number one and signs him to term. We wouldn't be able to protect both at the expansion  draft. The expansion makes things interesting.

Hear is another wacky idea. We know that Colorado is well set on D. If Byram is there at 4th would you offer Boeser for the 4th and 16th? Boeser has had wrist and back surgery.

I expect to get yelled at for this suggestion. LOL

I would consider it but it would all pivot around Byram. 

I’m finding outside of this 2019 May worlds tourney Moritz Seider is hard to find solid game footage of. (At lest on YouTube) you probably gotta look through German league web stuff to find more on this kid.

I’m lazy So I really don’t know what to truely think of him.

but the common theme i’ve found is this kid has super high potential.

The #10 pick for a Forward and try a get AVs #16 (at a reasonable price) so Canucks can pick a top Dman.

53 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That whole thing is an overblown crock invented by media hacks and trolls.   "Russian players" are not a race of people with uniform opinions.   Bure's situation was with a regime long, long gone and the issue with the big guy was more on his wife than the Canucks but even so....if he is so brilliant, not a sniff at WC this year (I know some on this board still think this guy is the real deal....based upon what, I have not a clue....potential, yes he has that.....potential and a few interesting character traits but I digress).   Further, Goldy is Goldy - he will be what he is no matter in Russia or the US.   A young kid who wants to play in the best league in the year and be alongside the likes of Hughes, EP40, Boeser etc. will not give a rat's ass about Pavel Bure's contract issues or Tryamkin's homesick wife.    Larionov raves about Vancouver as a city and is close to both Benning and Green.    

If Podkolzin is available at 10 and the Canuck team decide on the day he is the best option, I don't think there is a shred of thought about any other "russian player" past or present in the decision.    

I don’t think we have a problem with Russian players.  I think Russian players might have a problem with us.

7 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Hear is another wacky idea. We know that Colorado is well set on D. If Byram is there at 4th would you offer Boeser for the 4th and 16th? Boeser has had wrist and back surgery.

It may work as a trade deal but I like Brock he is a core character guy so I’d try and find another way of making a deal with AVs. Maybe a package deal will work, but one that doesn’t have EP QH BB BH. Anyone else in the trade deal i’m happy with it.

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lucic will be 31 when next season starts. Last year in 79 games he produced 6-14=20 points (-9) - not good, but remember, EDM ruins players

Eriksson will be 34 when next season starts. Last year in 81 games he produced 11-18=29 points (-11) - not good

Pretty similar production, but Loui is also 3 years older. Forget the contract for a minute What would Lucic provide? Say goodbye to being the league's punching bag. Pettersson and Hughes would be protected (even the intimidation factor would sway opponents from taking liberties). He's not very fast, but he's big, and I imagine would clog the front of the net nicely. He's from here, and knows his time is short in the league, so I would guess he would give his all playing for the home team.  

You can’t underestimate the protection of Pettersson and Hughes.  Both LE and Lucic could use a change of scenery.  I’d do 1 for 1 with a 2nd round sweetener for taking that extra year on Lucic deal.

• Wat 1

45 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I’m finding outside of this 2019 May worlds tourney Moritz Seider is hard to find solid game footage of. (At lest on YouTube) you probably gotta look through German league web stuff to find more on this kid.

I’m lazy So I really don’t know what to truely think of him.

but the common theme i’ve found is this kid has super high potential.

The #10 pick for a Forward and try a get AVs #16 (at a reasonable price) so Canucks can pick a top Dman.

I am contemplating paying subscription for a website that allows you watch prospects in some select games. At least it will give me a better idea of how he is as a player with and without the puck.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I'd do it in a second, but I doubt Avs would.  Can you imagine JB walking away from the draft with Byram, best fw available at #10 and Soderstrom/Seider?    Canucks d in a couple of years   Hughes + Byram     Juolevi + Soderstrom/Seider    ?  +  Woo

I think the Avs would want Horvat (he's the player they really need) + 2nd and maybe more.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Seider is intriguing and could top out at least as high as Byram in his career.   Poor kid is likely done for WHC after getting what was likely a concussion today but until he was hurt, he was more than holding his own in the tournament.    For a guy who is nearly 6'5", he is super smooth and fast and looks like his shot is getting better too.   Nice first pass.    He is needing to add about 20 lbs of muscle but will happen to a kid who literally just had his 18th birthday in the last month and played in DEL as a 17 year old.   He is ranked a lot lower than 10th overall and if the Canucks had another pick in the 18 to 24 range he might be waiting for them there.    Give him three or four years to develop and this kid may reward you with a top pairing guy for a decade plus.

I personally wouldn't mind Seider at 200-215lbs pure muscle mass vs getting to 220-230lbs as is typical of a person his size. With the importance of skating these days, I think having that extra edge in speed is more important to his game than the ability to go for a punishing hit.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

What if the management decides that Marky has become a true number one and signs him to term. We wouldn't be able to protect both at the expansion  draft. The expansion makes things interesting.

If that’s management’s assessment by all means make the move. But even so if we are giving Edmonton a potential elite goalie I want more than the 8th overall.

• Upvote 1