The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

25 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning has had 2 years to prepare for this Draft in VAN. It's a big one for the team, because it's at home and with the way the rest of the West has progressed, Benning needs to nail his picks. He's going into the last year of his contract.

So far, Benning has accumulated 2 extra 6th round picks. There are also a slew of bottom 6 veterans that need to go. No one has been moved yet.

If the Canucks go into next season with this roster, and he doesn't acquire any more picks in the first 3 rounds...

Baertschi - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Goldobin

Leivo - Sutter - Eriksson

Roussel - Beagle - Virtanen

Granlund

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Rafferty

Juolevi

...should he be fired?

The chances of him sitting on his hands all summer are basically zero.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning has had 2 years to prepare for this Draft in VAN. It's a big one for the team, because it's at home and with the way the rest of the West has progressed, Benning needs to nail his picks. He's going into the last year of his contract.

So far, Benning has accumulated 2 extra 6th round picks. There are also a slew of bottom 6 veterans that need to go. No one has been moved yet.

If the Canucks go into next season with this roster, and he doesn't acquire any more picks in the first 3 rounds...

Baertschi - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Goldobin

Leivo - Sutter - Eriksson

Roussel - Beagle - Virtanen

Granlund

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Rafferty

Juolevi

...should he be fired?

Gaudette in for Eriksson and swap Rafferty with Juolevi and I don't care how he got rid of Eriksson...Benning would be gold in my book...and we will make the playoffs just with addition of Hughes and Juolevi....

The only thing wrong with that lineup is depth...MacEwen is the first callup and then there is a whole lot of hope and potential in the rest of the forward prospects.

We will have a more mature and ready to fly BB and EP and AG ...put that on top of the parity in the league and Quinn is going to carry us to the first round ...at least.

3 hours ago, artemchubarov said:

If Benning was smart he'd offer up our first this year plus Edlers contract to get Byram. 

That would make Benning smart since he is doing his due diligence. Any GM that takes that offer for Byram, dumba** of the year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Barring any big moves, I suspect that Eriksson will be in Goldobin's spot in your projected lineup as we did finish the year with him there and they may want to continue to showcase him if they haven't moved him yet. We may even see Eriksson with EP and Boeser as he has shown chemistry with EP in the World Championships and the start of last season.

I had trouble seeing Eriksson back here next year before his recent comment in the Swedish media. After those comments there's almost zero chance he's back here IMO.

You just can't bring a guy back in to the locker room who's largely floated his way to (soon to be) $27m and then slammed the coach while overseas.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I had trouble seeing Eriksson back here next year before his recent comment in the Swedish media. After those comments there's almost zero chance he's back here IMO.

You just can't bring a guy back in to the locker room who's largely floated his way to (soon to be) $27m and then slammed the coach while overseas.

Well there has to be a taker and unless we are looking to give up assets to move him, it won't be a piece of cake to move him. Don't forget that he has a modified-NTC so if it just so happens that the few teams that may be interested in taking him on are on his no trade list, then it's not happening. That's why I was suggesting that we continue to try to showcase him and up his value to maybe open up for potential buyers.

With that said, I didn't read into the comments fully, but it sounded like he was simply saying he didn't see everything eye to eye 100% of the time with Green. I don't think that's necessarily "slamming" the coach, but maybe Eriksson feels like he has more to give than the role given to him and he's demonstrating it at the world stage (also hopefully upping his value).

Maybe his performance with Nylander will get Toronto interested and we move him there with 50% retention for Zaitsev, Kapanen and a 2nd or something along those lines.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

At least he played better at end of year and looks good for Sweden. Might make a trade actually possible now!

but I agree hard to imagine him on team next season

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I've been hoping Granlund and Spooner will be sent down to start the year. They can be easily replaced and that gives Utica some centers to work with.

Don't think Granlund passes, so I would look to trade him before putting him on waivers. Although I'd prefer he'd be an extra for us consider his ability to be a Swiss Army knife.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Maybe his performance with Nylander will get Toronto interested and we move him there with 50% retention for Zaitsev, Kapanen and a 2nd or something along those lines.

We retain 50% AND take on Zaitsev’s albatross contract? No thanks. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Kakko with a highlight real goal already today, I would take him 1st overall hands down. This kid is the real deal, im going to boo Bettman so hard at the draft.

Yup I’ve been convinced for some time. This tourney just cements it in my mind. He’s the best player in the draft and the most NHL ready. Kids an absolute stud..

Probably going to go:

Kakko

Hughes

Byram

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Well no way can Toronto take him on otherwise. Toronto would likely be a team that's not on his no trade list (eg I can't see LE wanting to go to Ottawa or Arizona). We gain Kapanen (top 6 winger) and a 2nd and do not give up any major assets to do so. Zaitsev hasn't been as good as his first season but he at least adds depth in a position where we are relatively weak (especially if Tanev gets hurt again or possibly traded). Have to consider the gains as well here.

30 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well there has to be a taker and unless we are looking to give up assets to move him, it won't be a piece of cake to move him. Don't forget that he has a modified-NTC so if it just so happens that the few teams that may be interested in taking him on are on his no trade list, then it's not happening. That's why I was suggesting that we continue to try to showcase him and up his value to maybe open up for potential buyers.

With that said, I didn't read into the comments fully, but it sounded like he was simply saying he didn't see everything eye to eye 100% of the time with Green. I don't think that's necessarily "slamming" the coach, but maybe Eriksson feels like he has more to give than the role given to him and he's demonstrating it at the world stage (also hopefully upping his value).

29 minutes ago, R3aL said:

At least he played better at end of year and looks good for Sweden. Might make a trade actually possible now!

but I agree hard to imagine him on team next season

Yup, I'm sure they will explore the trade route after his bonus is paid. And yes, hopefully his play at the worlds creates some interest.

But if there's no takers, I could see them 'exploring their options' with him, including how inclined he is to riding buses in Utica.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well no way can Toronto take him on otherwise. Toronto would likely be a team that's not on his no trade list (eg I can't see LE wanting to go to Ottawa or Arizona). 

If his alternatives are Utica or mutual contract termination and Sweden?

On 5/15/2019 at 1:42 PM, aGENT said:

Arguably more intimidating Gudbranson didn't stop it playing 18 minutes a night. How much do you think Lucic is going to help playing less than 12 minutes on the 4th line/sitting in the press box?

Any potential Lucic trade needs to view him as a 'cost', not an 'asset'.

Please Jim, qualify someone or make some sort of announcement so we don't have to keep hearing people advocate trading for Lucic...

39 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I really don't get the desire to bring these type in.  Undoubtedly those advocating it now will be the first ones crying for them to be bought out one month into the season.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Please Jim, qualify someone or make some sort of announcement so we don't have to keep hearing people advocate trading for Lucic...

I really don't get the desire to bring these type in.  Undoubtedly those advocating it now will be the first ones crying for them to be bought out one month into the season.

Oh I'm fine if they're advocating trading for him.... so long as they wake up to him having exceedingly negative value and the only reason to trade for him is the very real assets it would cost EDM to even consider doing so.

I saw this trade earlier and I think it's been brought up earlier, but:

To CHI: 10th OA

To VAN: 3rd OA + Seabrook

I think I would do that to be honest. Byram and Hughes on our defense core would be incredible and Seabrook could rediscover his game protecting young players like that. We would have to seriously look at dumping Eriksson for sure though. 

13 minutes ago, appleboy said:

If the Devils take Hughes might they want another one?

Hughe's for Butcher and Zacha.

In theory, I might go after Smith ++ in that scenario.

Edited by aGENT