The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

In theory, I might go after Smith ++ in that scenario.

I don't know much about Ty Smith.  

They would need to hit a home run and the return would need to be young.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

I don't know much about Ty Smith.  

They would need to hit a home run and the return would need to be young.

Smith is honestly on the same level as Hughes but the difference is the skating. I’d think about it, it would just depend on what the ++ would be. 

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Well no way can Toronto take him on otherwise. Toronto would likely be a team that's not on his no trade list (eg I can't see LE wanting to go to Ottawa or Arizona). We gain Kapanen (top 6 winger) and a 2nd and do not give up any major assets to do so. Zaitsev hasn't been as good as his first season but he at least adds depth in a position where we are relatively weak (especially if Tanev gets hurt again or possibly traded). Have to consider the gains as well here.

So don’t do the trade. 

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

If the Devils take Hughes might they want another one?

Hughe's for Butcher and Zacha.

Zacha is a 3rd liner at best with a very long shot at being a complimentary top 6er on a really good line, essentially their Virtanen. I'd rather go for a younger kid in their system with legit upside.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Zacha is a 3rd liner at best with a very long shot at being a complimentary top 6er on a really good line, essentially their Virtanen. I'd rather go for a younger kid in their system with legit upside.

I don't know their system so just threw out a name. The idea is to turn Hughes into two solid young players. If someone wants to put the Hughes boys together they might pay a premium. He might drop to the Rangers.

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I don't know their system so just threw out a name. The idea is to turn Hughes into two solid young players. If someone wants to put the Hughes boys together they might pay a premium. He might drop to the Rangers.

Go for Lias Andersson outta NY to reunite with Petey from that World Junior team that threw away their medals. :bigblush:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning has had 2 years to prepare for this Draft in VAN. It's a big one for the team, because it's at home and with the way the rest of the West has progressed, Benning needs to nail his picks. He's going into the last year of his contract.

So far, Benning has accumulated 2 extra 6th round picks. There are also a slew of bottom 6 veterans that need to go. No one has been moved yet.

If the Canucks go into next season with this roster, and he doesn't acquire any more picks in the first 3 rounds...

Baertschi - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Goldobin

Leivo - Sutter - Eriksson

Roussel - Beagle - Virtanen

Granlund

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Rafferty

Juolevi

...should he be fired?

Fired? Probably. That would be pathetic since he already said he needs to rebuild the D this summer.

Of that line up you posted the following can leave as far as I am concerned (if we could get anything for them):

Baertschi

Goldy

Sutter

Eriksson

Granlund

Tanev

Hutten

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I saw this trade earlier and I think it's been brought up earlier, but:

To CHI: 10th OA

To VAN: 3rd OA + Seabrook

I think I would do that to be honest. Byram and Hughes on our defense core would be incredible and Seabrook could rediscover his game protecting young players like that. We would have to seriously look at dumping Eriksson for sure though. 

Chicago is not going to pass up on byram just to get rid of seabrook....good god. Some scouts say byram will be a #1 D.

Chi will do what they always do....put seabrook on the LTIR till he dies.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Chicago is not going to pass up on byram just to get rid of seabrook....good god. Some scouts say byram will be a #1 D.

Chi will do what they always do....put seabrook on the LTIR till he dies.

And trade Seabrook’s contract to a bottom feeder, like Arizona.  

• Like 1

Is Byram a top pairing D man or is he just the best defense man in a draft that is short of elite D men.

There is a lot of interesting players in this draft but what I read is that there is no franchise type players. 

So we seem to be looking at a  draft that has depth well into the second round but it is not laden with elite talent. 

Of coarse you never know when evaluating 18 year olds. There is always a few gems to be found.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Is Byram a top pairing D man or is he just the best defense man in a draft that is short of elite D men.

There is a lot of interesting players in this draft but what I read is that there is no franchise type players. 

So we seem to be looking at a  draft that has depth well into the second round but it is not laden with elite talent. 

Of coarse you never know when evaluating 18 year olds. There is always a few gems to be found.

Button says Byram is a #1 D. But you are right. It is extremely difficult to know what he will really be. But many think he is a top pairing D.

30 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Button says Byram is a #1 D. But you are right. It is extremely difficult to know what he will really be. But many think he is a top pairing D.

All I'll say is Ekblad, and who was drafted after him. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I believe Byram will be a #1 D. His offensive stats are amazing and generally when you score that much as a d man whether you are D or D+1 you are already half way there. There are #1 D that don't even play defense that effectively but I think Byrams defensive game is pretty good...still young and still needs more work but he will get there. His hockey IQ is off the charts and he has all the physical tools to give him that edge at the pro level.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

If his alternatives are Utica or mutual contract termination and Sweden?

Are the Canucks willing to put that much money in Utica? Mutual termination would mean both sides would have to agree. If LE prefers that then so be it and it benefits us, but it is well within his negotiated contract that if he doesn't want to be traded to those teams that he can put them on his no trade list. There's no stiff arming him here and honestly LE hasn't really been a huge problem for us that I see a need for it. He clearly has more to give as shown so far in the world championships, so maybe we can either boost his value before we put ourselves in a bad position trying to force him out in the offseason. If LE himself really wants out of here, then he himself will open up the opportunity to get out.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Are the Canucks willing to put that much money in Utica? Mutual termination would mean both sides would have to agree. If LE prefers that then so be it and it benefits us, but it is well within his negotiated contract that if he doesn't want to be traded to those teams that he can put them on his no trade list. There's no stiff arming him here and honestly LE hasn't really been a huge problem for us that I see a need for it. He clearly has more to give as shown so far in the world championships, so maybe we can either boost his value before we put ourselves in a bad position trying to force him out in the offseason. If LE himself really wants out of here, then he himself will open up the opportunity to get out.

He's had three years now to show 'more to give'. It's clearly not happening here and he seems to have made it clear he doesn't see it happening here either.

I don't think the Canucks would blink with sending him to Utica and I doubt it would get that far as I'm pretty sure he'd just retire or mutually terminate and re-sign elsewhere (NHL or Sweden) before then anyway. 

Clearly all parties will try the trade route first, but if that doesn't happen...

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

I loved (and hated) Theo.  But Theo could fly!  Guy could really skate, and was tough as they come.  Caufield's biggest concern, beyond he's tiny, is his skating.  How many little guys, who have skating issues, play in the NHL?  I think it's none.  

Did you watch him in the u18?  No skating issues at all.  In fact his edge work looks elite.  That’s how he scores so many goals.  He can shift and stop on a dime.  Straight away speed is overrated.  Hockey IQ and shiftiness.... sounds like Brad Marchant.  As you can tell I like the word shift.  :bigblush:

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, Pears said:

Smith is honestly on the same level as Hughes but the difference is the skating. I’d think about it, it would just depend on what the ++ would be. 

I disagree with them being on the same level. I see you say the skating but the skating is on another level. Which puts Hughes on another level. 

I think hughes is a better passer as well. 

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Button also says newhook is a poor skater soooo

but ya Byram is best d prospect I’ve seen come out of the WHL ever IMO

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Oh I'm fine if they're advocating trading for him.... so long as they wake up to him having exceedingly negative value and the only reason to trade for him is the very real assets it would cost EDM to even consider doing so.

Which is why it almost certainly won't/shouldn't happen.  To move up a few spots in the draft, yet be saddled with that buyout-proof anchor another 4 years?  Too much presentist bias chasing after shiny trinkets, seemingly no matter what the cost.

• Upvote 1