The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Thanks aGENT

Pavel_Bure, I think you're right. I wonder if it's Seider. He's ranked around the halfway point. But it could be any of those D (Broberg, Harley, Heinola)

Not sure how I would feel if they took Harley, if Krebs or Boldy are still on the board. Canucks have their superstar on D (Hughes) and another mobile Dman in Stecher. They've got good veterans as well (Edler, Tanev, Schenn), they've got a future second line Dman in Juolevi, Tryamkin might come back and Woo might challenge for a spot this fall. Why would they use the 1st on a mid-round Dman? There should be plenty of good Dmen in the 2nd.

IMO, Seider and Broberg are game-changers. No thanks to any of the other D. 

This is my wish list (who could still be there):

Krebs

Boldy

Seider

Broberg

Newhook

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure how I would feel if they took Harley, if Krebs or Boldy are still on the board.

Again, from the article:

The Canucks have serious interest in Swedish defenceman Victor Soderstrom, but if one of the elite U.S. National Development Team forwards falls to No. 10 — especially winger Matthew Boldy or perhaps teammate Trevor Zegras — there might be a temptation to take a forward and then a blueliner in the second round. Moving up is an option, but than will mean swapping first-round picks with the Detroit Red Wings at No. 6 and also parting with the second-rounder.

3 hours ago, Conscience said:

Man its hard to trust Bennings critical thinking when he says stuff like this...

“Defenceman are deep this year, maybe not at the high end, but once you get halfway through the first round, there’s a lot that we like,” added Benning. “If that guy is there at No. 10 we’ll be taking him. It’s been proved by teams still playing that good teams are built through goal, defence and centre. That’s the basic principle.”

If there’s multiple dmen that he likes and are in the 2nd half, why would you take one at 10 instead of trading down.

Sounds to me like he likes several defensemen that could be available in the middle of the first round. 10 is approaching that point and if you take one of them there you will have your pick of them as opposed to trading down and possibly missing out on the one you want the most (for example an RHD as they are in short supply).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, from the article:

Interesting that the 2nd round pick was suggested as the price to move from 10 to 6. I wonder if that was actually discussed with Holland before he left or just Koozma speculating? If thats the price we might be able to swing a new deal with Holland to move from 10 to 8 for something a little less, like the rights to Hutty plus a 3rd? 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Interesting that the 2nd round pick was suggested as the price to move from 10 to 6. I wonder if that was actually discussed with Holland before he left or just Koozma speculating? If thats the price we might be able to swing a new deal with Holland to move from 10 to 8 for something a little less, like the rights to Hutty plus a 3rd? 

Rather just pick at 10 than add assets. The value difference between the two picks is not that great.

If we can ADD 8th OA, that's another story.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

With Boldy, the Canucks would have another power forward (maybe the best one). If Jake can take another step this off season and prove he's worthy of a Top 6 role?

Boldy - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

(this looks more like a playoff top 6)

Baertschi - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Goldobin

(this, does not)

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Rather just pick at 10 than add assets. The value difference between the two picks is not that great.

+1...

Don't see anyone actually knowing for sure, who will be the better prospect between 5 and 12+... 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

if the stats nerds who do the draft rank value charts are on to anything, its certainly worth a 3rd in potential player value. Hutty is the throw in, I think we're done with him regardless. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

IMO, Seider and Broberg are game-changers. No thanks to any of the other D. 

Those are definitely the two D-men I want as well. Broberg's pretty underrated in my opinion, could go top 10 easily come draft day. Allsvenskan is a tough league for a 17 year old and his team wasn't great offensively. Needs to work on some things but is still 17, if he has a great work ethic could become a stud. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if the stats nerds who do the draft rank value charts are on to anything, its certainly worth a 3rd in potential player value. Hutty is the throw in, I think we're done with him regardless. 

If JB likes Seider as the next best D man after Byram, and thinks Seider has the same upside as the forwards who might be there at 10, but thinks Seider is gone by 10, then I am all for you idea to move up.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Conscience said:

Man its hard to trust Bennings critical thinking when he says stuff like this...

“Defenceman are deep this year, maybe not at the high end, but once you get halfway through the first round, there’s a lot that we like,” added Benning. “If that guy is there at No. 10 we’ll be taking him. It’s been proved by teams still playing that good teams are built through goal, defence and centre. That’s the basic principle.”

If there’s multiple dmen that he likes and are in the 2nd half, why would you take one at 10 instead of trading down.

Ever heard of poker....?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

We may or may not be done with him but he has more value than a throw in on top of a 3rd to move up to basically an equivalent pick.

Rather move him in a separate deal.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Those are definitely the two D-men I want as well. Broberg's pretty underrated in my opinion, could go top 10 easily come draft day. Allsvenskan is a tough league for a 17 year old and his team wasn't great offensively. Needs to work on some things but is still 17, if he has a great work ethic could become a stud. 

I watched the Germany-France game yesterday (recorded), and Seider was good again. I believe he scored the first goal. He was steady all game.  I got to wondering, how good will this kid be in 3-4 years after developing under NHL trainers and coaches? The sky is the limit. He's a big player with really good speed, smart, calm plays, and his reach is impressive. Real good stick work. He knows how to break up plays.  

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

A solid two way power fwd just coming into his own

A pure sniper

A legit top 3 dman

An absolute superstar

A legit top 3 offensive dynamo dman

What is there to complain about with his 1st rounders?  Other than for the sake of complaining?

You missed the part where i said his draft round choices wasn’t the problem.

You can talk up his picks all you want ( I won’t go down that rabbit hole),  and ignore the fact  that choosing your guy at 10 when you could trade down and get the same guy and another asset is not maximizing the value of your pick.

Just now, Conscience said:

Poker? I hardly know her

Don't think we should put too much emphasis on what JB tells the press at this stage...

Not even sure they know for sure yet themselves... But one thing is certain. He will make a top 10 list of players, and come draft day he will chose whoever the lowest left on the list is.... Unless he choses for need... clear as mud.

• Upvote 2