The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not really sure what he's saying here. Halfway through the first round they like some guys? We have the #10. Does this mean they might trade down? But then he mentions "if that guy is there at #10 we'll be taking him". Who could he be talking about?

Byram... or could be Broberg....or could be Seider... or could be... If JB at this stage told everyone who he will be targeting, just to appease the fan base, he should be fired instantly. Evaluation of talent is supposed to be his forte... Why would he give opposition a free ride. And not knowing JB thoughts, may help him in making trades up or down on draft day....

Its clear as mud...and so it should be...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if the stats nerds who do the draft rank value charts are on to anything, its certainly worth a 3rd in potential player value. Hutty is the throw in, I think we're done with him regardless. 

I am with you completely.  I would in all cases want the best player in a trade.  If it requires a 2nd, 3rd, Hutton, Goldobin, whatever then thats an easy yes.  This team absolutely doesnt need any more quantity.  Quality is very much needed.  If Dach is available at 8 or 6 or whatever or Byram then I am trading up 100%.  Neither scenario is likely, but spare parts for potential star player is easily worth it to me. 

Now if you can trade 10th, 2nd, 1st next year, Hutton for 2nd overall or whatever it would take then bring on Kakko,  Kakko and Petterson is a match made in heaven.  Kakko could be great with Bo too.  

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's highly debatable where he could trade down to and whether another team is willing to actually pony up enough for you to risk losing your guy. I'm sure he'd look in to the possibility of moving down, but like with Pettersson, he had info Elias wasn't making it past 7, highly limiting any trade options.

Would you have preferred he had traded down there too?

It's also quite likely they (and other teams) have a D rated 9th or 10th on their internal list despite what the 'consensus' scouting services say.

Sometimes you just take your guy and don't risk dicking around.

Ya I understand the risk, but he also said he likes multiple d men in the mid range and none were elite. You have to see how the first 9 go and see how many of those guys are remaining and then weigh your options. Only Byram looks like a lock for top 10,  so good chance theres a handful oh his guys left at 10.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's highly debatable where he could trade down to and whether another team is willing to actually pony up enough for you to risk losing your guy. I'm sure he'd look in to the possibility of moving down, but like with Pettersson, he had info Elias wasn't making it past 7, highly limiting any trade options.

Would you have preferred he had traded down there too?

It's also quite likely they (and other teams) have a D rated 9th or 10th on their internal list despite what the 'consensus' scouting services say.

Sometimes you just take your guy and don't risk dicking around.

Also if there are 3 players available 10 that he puts evenly, why not get an extra 4th or 5th from Philly or Minny if they are after a special player at 10...

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Also if there are 3 players available 10 that he puts evenly, why not get an extra 4th or 5th from Philly or Minny if they are after a special player at 10...

What if two of those players are fowards, and one is a D?  Wouldn't JB then choose the D?

16 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I am with you completely.  I would in all cases want the best player in a trade.  If it requires a 2nd, 3rd, Hutton, Goldobin, whatever then thats an easy yes.  This team absolutely doesnt need any more quantity.  Quality is very much needed.  If Dach is available at 8 or 6 or whatever or Byram then I am trading up 100%.  Neither scenario is likely, but spare parts for potential star player is easily worth it to me. 

Now if you can trade 10th, 2nd, 1st next year, Hutton for 2nd overall or whatever it would take then bring on Kakko,  Kakko and Petterson is a match made in heaven.  Kakko could be great with Bo too.  

Indeed. But moving up to 2nd OA for Kakko (if he's still there :ph34r: ) or even 3rd/4th OA for Byram are a LOT different than moving from 10th to 8th. And I agree, I'd move a good number of spare parts and (lotto protected) 2020 1st etc to move up in to the top 2-4'ish for either of those guys. 

Otherwise, there's almost zero value difference between the 8 and 10 picks (short of someone ranked higher - like top 5 - falling there). I might throw in a mid-late picks or a depth player/B- prospect but otherwise I'll just keep my assets and pick a similar value prospect.

Edited by aGENT

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We may or may not be done with him but he has more value than a throw in on top of a 3rd to move up to basically an equivalent pick.

Rather move him in a separate deal.

Hutton did probably play himself into some kind of value after last year.  He is an NHL 5-6 guy.  He is young and relatively inexpensive.  I don't think there is any more ceiling to this player.  He is a lot more tradeable after training camp.  I would love a Benning hockey trade when it comes to Hutton for a RHD.

• Cheers 1

Just now, CaptainLinden16 said:

Hutton did probably play himself into some kind of value after last year.  He is an NHL 5-6 guy.  He is young and relatively inexpensive.  I don't think there is any more ceiling to this player.  He is a lot more tradeable after training camp.  I would love a Benning hockey trade when it comes to Hutton for a RHD.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Hutton + for a 2nd pair, RHD a couple months in to the season once OJ's back up to speed from playing in Utica.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Indeed. But moving up to 2nd OA for Kakko (if he's still there :ph34r: ) or even 3rd/4th OA for Byram are a LOT different than moving from 10th to 8th. And I agree, I'd move a good number of spare parts and (lotto protected) 2020 1st etc to move up in to the top 2-4'ish for either of those guys. 

Otherwise, there's almost zero value difference between the 8 and 10 picks (short of someone ranked higher - like top 5 - falling there). I might throw in a mid-late picks or a depth player/B- prospect but otherwise I'll just keep my assets and pick a similar value prospect.

I agree with your idea of value 100%, but draft boards are different for all teams.  Benning may think Poldkozin is a top 3 guy and he falls to 8.  If that is the case then I would happily trade a 3rd and Hutton for that.  For me Dach is a player who could fall a little bit, and I have him at 4.  In my head he is Ryan Getzlaf 2.0.  I cant seem to get that out of my mind.  PERFECT player for Boeser who is a lot like Perry.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I agree with your idea of value 100%, but draft boards are different for all teams.  Benning may think Poldkozin is a top 3 guy and he falls to 8.  If that is the case then I would happily trade a 3rd and Hutton for that.  For me Dach is a player who could fall a little bit, and I have him at 4.  In my head he is Ryan Getzlaf 2.0.  I cant seem to get that out of my mind.  PERFECT player for Boeser who is a lot like Perry.

Yup, like I said, if a guy ranked top 5'ish is there at 8, then that changes things. But if it's just a guy ranked 8th, at 8th...meh.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly what I'm thinking. Hutton + for a 2nd pair, RHD a couple months in to the season once OJ's back up to speed from playing in Utica.

I wouldn't mind taking on a younger player who has stalled out a little bit either.  Same like Granlund and Baertschi before they came over.  It is going to be hard to convince a GM to give away the best player in a D for D trade.  Maybe if the cap hit on said player was a little too high it would work, but then that means they are 30ish.  30ish wont work.  

I am not sure who the target would be, but I bet Benning has a few in mind.

2 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

...I  just got to say...Perry is prick and a whinner...nothing like Boeser ...who is a prince among men...!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I wouldn't mind taking on a younger player who has stalled out a little bit either.  Same like Granlund and Baertschi before they came over.  It is going to be hard to convince a GM to give away the best player in a D for D trade.  Maybe if the cap hit on said player was a little too high it would work, but then that means they are 30ish.  30ish wont work.  

I am not sure who the target would be, but I bet Benning has a few in mind.

Pending RFA due a raise on a cap strapped team? Something to that effect.

And yes, we likely have to 'overpay' a bit with the add to get the better player.

21 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...I  just got to say...Perry is prick and a whinner...nothing like Boeser ...who is a prince among men...!

Personality yes 100% Perry is King Douche.   As far as style of play, I would say they are very similar.  

8 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

anyone know what league Seider is playing in next year? No offense to the DEL but if we draft him it would be nice to be able to see some highlights or something, hard to find much from his past year.

If it was the Canucks, I would say NHL 100%.  

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

We may or may not be done with him but he has more value than a throw in on top of a 3rd to move up to basically an equivalent pick.

Rather move him in a separate deal.

tbh I really wonder just how much value Hutty really has.... his QO is 2.4 mil, he's not providing above average offence.... dunno, I'm not sure he's going to bring anything back but someone else's 'special project'. If he helped up the chance at elite talent then I'm good. 

5 hours ago, Conscience said:

Man its hard to trust Bennings critical thinking when he says stuff like this...

“Defenceman are deep this year, maybe not at the high end, but once you get halfway through the first round, there’s a lot that we like,” added Benning. “If that guy is there at No. 10 we’ll be taking him. It’s been proved by teams still playing that good teams are built through goal, defence and centre. That’s the basic principle.”

If there’s multiple dmen that he likes and are in the 2nd half, why would you take one at 10 instead of trading down.

That isn't the whole quote.   :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

tbh I really wonder just how much value Hutty really has.... his QO is 2.4 mil, he's not providing above average offence.... dunno, I'm not sure he's going to bring anything back but someone else's 'special project'. If he helped up the chance at elite talent then I'm good. 

I don't think anyone is going to want him as a throw in to move up from 10, but I could see a swap for younger stalled out RHD as a legit deal with a top ten team.  Like a Bowey type of player.  If I were an NHL GM, I need a LHD 5-6.  I would easily trade a 3rd round pick and maybe even a 2nd for him.  He is going to play in the NHL for at least 5 more years as a solid player.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah cap values keep going up, even a 2nd/3rd pair tweener LHD is going to get $3+m coming out of RFA. That's not really a 'problem' in regards to Hutton.

It's market value.

Teams start having injuries to their 2nd/3rd pair guys and I think he'd have decent interest. Enough to get a similar level RHD (or the equivelant in picks, prospects etc if we don't go that route).

By no means am I suggesting he's got superstar value but a legit NHL D has value. More so than as a 'throw in'.

• Cheers 1