The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

17 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That player was / is a very good pick for CBJ. Pierre Luc Deblois was way up there on my wish list for the Canucks to pick too.

Wasn't PLD the guy Montreal wanted for Subban? I don't think PLD being a Canuck was ever in the cards. 

Edited by Lonny_Bohonos_14

2 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Wasn't PLD the guy Montreal wanted for Subban? I don't think PLD being a Canuck was ever in the cards. 

Nucks were set at #3 and JB was obviously interested in picking PLD.  The Loto came along and the Jets and Huricanes swooped down and bumped Edm and Van down to 4th and 5th.  I guess the only good that came out of it is the Oilers were set to take Laine and ended up with Poolparty.

• Upvote 1

Watching Quinn Hughes, it's obvious he's a great skater, very good on the PP, provides offense, etc. But his D-game is lacking at times. He needs a solid top pairing defensive D-man with him. Looking ahead, maybe Woo is that guy? Maybe Tryamkin comes back and is worthy of playing with Hughes? A couple of maybes. Canucks still need more on D, better D. They can't rely on a backend of mediocre players.

Edler - 3rd

Tanev - Undrafted

Stecher - Undrafted

Hutton - 5th

Biega - 5th

Brisebois - 3rd

Rafferty - Undrafted

Teves - Undrafted

Sautner - Undrafted

Chatfield - Undrafted

Rathbone - 4th (but he could surprise)

Hughes, Juolevi and Woo are a really good start, but they need major upgrades to the talent pool. I think the forwards are very intriguing this year, but there should still be good forwards in the 2nd and 3rd.  Canucks need another high-end D. Seider is an interesting thought, but he's been injured before and was injured again at the World's. Canucks don't need another Salo/Tanev type of injury prone Dman. Broberg could be an interesting pick. He has size and speed, playing against men. Harley could be a good partner for Hughes. He also has size and skates well. I think the most responsible defender could be Bjornfot. 

• Upvote 1

Something else I've noticed at these Worlds is how good Debricat has been. Elusive, smart, shot. Makes me wonder if Caufield would be a great choice at #10 if he's there. Canucks do need better D, but Caufield could be a great piece of the future offense. I guess it depends on what Benning does with Tanev and Hutton, maybe he signs a UFA or two? I think they need D, but Caufield could be a great weapon.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Still, that would have been huge.  We would be without Hughes and EP40 as a result, so in the long term, CBJ may have helped us. 

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Something else I've noticed at these Worlds is how good Debricat has been. Elusive, smart, shot. Makes me wonder if Caufield would be a great choice at #10 if he's there. Canucks do need better D, but Caufield could be a great piece of the future offense. I guess it depends on what Benning does with Tanev and Hutton, maybe he signs a UFA or two? I think they need D, but Caufield could be a great weapon.

I'd be wary of that because of the larger rink, more time and space that is much more suited for speed and skill oriented players. You'll find players have much less time, albeit fractions of a second to maneuver on NHL ice.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Pick Moritz Sedier or Ville Heinola if we're going with a d-man at 10.

Seider all the way. I would say best d-man available after Byram, plus fits more of a team need in terms of being a RD and physicality/strong skater. Possible future pairing with Hughes? Yes please.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Still, that would have been huge.  We would be without Hughes and EP40 as a result, so in the long term, CBJ may have helped us. 

He didn't play during the 16/17 season, so our season would have probably went the same way. Unless you are suggesting management passes on Petey cause we have PLD in the system.

Given most here are not very knowledgable of the players in the draft (not in a bad way, none of us have scouted them, watched them alot, are really able to compare), and pretty much all of us have only read articles, scouting reports and watched some clips on youtube, I am happy we have Bracket and Benning to make the picks. They have shown the strategy they've taken in their drafting to be quite effective. In years such as this, where 3-12 or further is such a guessing game, the skill of scouting departments will really matter. For me, I don't know much about any of the players as I have only done the above but whom I'm intrigued and not intrigued about are the following

Caulfield - love the hands, not the size AND lack of speed. If you're that small, you need to be more than one dimensional, and speed is key. We've seen the game changes in the playoffs. He is high risk high reward but given the mix of our team we can't afford the risk. I don't think you can call him a BPA at ten given the combination of skill and size of other players. He's also a 'complimentary' player, we are in need of a play driver / play maker upfront, not just a sniper. We lack creativity and players who can maintain puck control upfront other than Petey, for me he's a pass

Broberg - This kid has size, speed, smart defensively. I have heard questions on his hockey IQ but haven't seen enough to make my own judgements. All I know is when he's playing best on best at his age, he shines. As a left D however, he's a bit redundant for us as we are loaded on that side. Doesn't separate himself to be the BPA imho, but if Gradin likes him, I'd be happy with the choice

Seider - Wildcard - I've liked this guy for a long time given his incredible toolbox. A RD with size, can skate, and plays physical. Could he be BETTER all around than Byram, maybe. He's playing against men, has the "euro discount" of not enough eyes on him, and as always, euros unless they are immensely superior (Aka Ovechkin) always are ranked lower than North Americans. It's why we got Petey. I would be very happy to see if this is the route we take, even if he's 'off the board'. Why? Because if its a reach, then our scouting team KNOWS this kid is a gem.

Cam York - Another LD but seems to do everything really well.

Newhook - looked very good at the u18s. I haven't seen much of him, and it worries me a bit he may be over rated by people here but again, if our scouts like him, given his numbers, toolbox, skating ability, I'd be a happy with it.

Soderstrom - RD, fills a need, but from what I've seen of clips seems to be not 'great' at anything just good at everything. Perhaps I haven't seen enough of him but he feels like a 'Blah" overly safe pick. That being said, a higher floor and lower cieling given our issues on RD isn't a bad thing. But when I look at the RD's available at our pick, I still drool on the potential of Seider. Again, I trust Gradin immensely, if he thinks this is our guy, then he's going to be good.

Regardless of who we pick, I think there will be alot of players chosen between 5-20 who could challenge to be the best in the draft after the top 2 who are sure bets. The draft is just that tight this year, it would be nice to see JB find a way to swing another mid to late 1st rounder without giving up any youth (ie move Tanev+ Sutter and maybe depth player that a team who wants to make a run next year, could use).

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I also watched a bit of this, and Lavoie was pretty dominant. Digging the Jagr mullet lol

how's his skating? he's a big kid, and I've never seen him play...if he can skate he may be a steal given where he's ranked

I wonder, if Benning were to make it known his interest in Lavoie, if MTL would make an offer to move up to #10. I believe MTL really wants this guy. I wouldn't be upset if we got him either, but maybe Benning could draft Newhook or Harley at #15? Not to mention what MTL would give to move up 5 spots, to get their man. I'll assume MTL would eventually want a Kotkaniemi - Lavoie one-two punch at C.  

to MTL - #10 and Tanev

to VAN - #15, 1st (2020), Domi

• Wat 2

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder, if Benning were to make it known his interest in Lavoie, if MTL would make an offer to move up to #10. I believe MTL really wants this guy. I wouldn't be upset if we got him either, but maybe Benning could draft Newhook or Harley at #15? Not to mention what MTL would give to move up 5 spots, to get their man. I'll assume MTL would eventually want a Kotkaniemi - Lavoie one-two punch at C.  

to MTL - #10 and Tanev

to VAN - #15, 1st (2020), Domi

Montreal is not giving up Domi. Domi played great there and fit in really well imo.

55 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Given most here are not very knowledgable of the players in the draft (not in a bad way, none of us have scouted them, watched them alot, are really able to compare), and pretty much all of us have only read articles, scouting reports and watched some clips on youtube, I am happy we have Bracket and Benning to make the picks. They have shown the strategy they've taken in their drafting to be quite effective. In years such as this, where 3-12 or further is such a guessing game, the skill of scouting departments will really matter. For me, I don't know much about any of the players as I have only done the above but whom I'm intrigued and not intrigued about are the following

Caulfield - love the hands, not the size AND lack of speed. If you're that small, you need to be more than one dimensional, and speed is key. We've seen the game changes in the playoffs. He is high risk high reward but given the mix of our team we can't afford the risk. I don't think you can call him a BPA at ten given the combination of skill and size of other players. He's also a 'complimentary' player, we are in need of a play driver / play maker upfront, not just a sniper. We lack creativity and players who can maintain puck control upfront other than Petey, for me he's a pass

Broberg - This kid has size, speed, smart defensively. I have heard questions on his hockey IQ but haven't seen enough to make my own judgements. All I know is when he's playing best on best at his age, he shines. As a left D however, he's a bit redundant for us as we are loaded on that side. Doesn't separate himself to be the BPA imho, but if Gradin likes him, I'd be happy with the choice

Seider - Wildcard - I've liked this guy for a long time given his incredible toolbox. A RD with size, can skate, and plays physical. Could he be BETTER all around than Byram, maybe. He's playing against men, has the "euro discount" of not enough eyes on him, and as always, euros unless they are immensely superior (Aka Ovechkin) always are ranked lower than North Americans. It's why we got Petey. I would be very happy to see if this is the route we take, even if he's 'off the board'. Why? Because if its a reach, then our scouting team KNOWS this kid is a gem.

Newhook - looked very good at the u18s. I haven't seen much of him, and it worries me a bit he may be over rated by people here but again, if our scouts like him, given his numbers, toolbox, skating ability, I'd be a happy with it.

Soderstrom - RD, fills a need, but from what I've seen of clips seems to be not 'great' at anything just good at everything. Perhaps I haven't seen enough of him but he feels like a 'Blah" overly safe pick. That being said, a higher floor and lower cieling given our issues on RD isn't a bad thing. But when I look at the RD's available at our pick, I still drool on the potential of Seider. Again, I trust Gradin immensely, if he thinks this is our guy, then he's going to be good.

Regardless of who we pick, I think there will be alot of players chosen between 5-20 who could challenge to be the best in the draft after the top 2 who are sure bets. The draft is just that tight this year, it would be nice to see JB find a way to swing another mid to late 1st rounder without giving up any youth (ie move Tanev+ Sutter and maybe depth player that a team who wants to make a run next year, could use).

Great post.  

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Exactly this

• Cheers 1